Christian women facing execution in Pakistan.

Talk about anything in here.

Christian women facing execution in Pakistan.

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:11 pm

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/11/29/5543912-christian-woman-faces-death-for-blasphemy?GT1=43001

Basically a Christian woman in Pakistan was accused of blasphemy. She allegedly insulted Mohammed.

She was picking berries with other women, when she was sent to get water,â€
Yamamaya

Postby Furen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:25 pm

So wait, the Christian lady touched the water? How is that bad? If that one lady decides not to drink, isn't it her own choice? And if this was a problem, why was she appointed to get the water? And I think that regardless of how it happened, I think that's discrimination... but I wasn't there to know the whole story.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

This happened in Pakistan, not the United States. Keep that in mind.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 pm

This is one of those areas where it's hard to say what is the right thing to do.

Obviously I don't want her to be executed. I think she did nothing wrong. I think it would be a huge violation of human rights to execute her.

HOWEVER, reading the article, it's clear if the woman isn't executed, things could become even more violent. Many others may die in a revolt, and worse yet, if the revolt succeeds, things would probably become even worse for Christians. That's obviously a horrible thing too.

This is a moral gray area and it's very, very difficult to decide what the "right" thing to do is. Is the suffering of one preferable to the suffering of many? If so, she should be executed. Is protecting the weak and innocent always right, even if countless others die because of that decision, and others in the future are treated worse? Then she should not be.

It's extremely complicated, and I'm glad I don't have to make the final decision.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Free diplomatic Casus-Belli for the pope. Moderate or see western relations deterriorate.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:59 pm

You're right, it is quite complicated. I hate to say this because I certainly don't advocate killing people, but loss of life is what it may take to bring about change and get better human rights laws in place. I hope it doesn't come to that though.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Nate (post: 1440376) wrote:This is one of those areas where it's hard to say what is the right thing to do.

Obviously I don't want her to be executed. I think she did nothing wrong. I think it would be a huge violation of human rights to execute her.

HOWEVER, reading the article, it's clear if the woman isn't executed, things could become even more violent. Many others may die in a revolt, and worse yet, if the revolt succeeds, things would probably become even worse for Christians. That's obviously a horrible thing too.

This is a moral gray area and it's very, very difficult to decide what the "right" thing to do is. Is the suffering of one preferable to the suffering of many? If so, she should be executed. Is protecting the weak and innocent always right, even if countless others die because of that decision, and others in the future are treated worse? Then she should not be.

It's extremely complicated, and I'm glad I don't have to make the final decision.

My gut reaction would be to save the woman and let the extremists face the might of the sword.

If someone doesn't stand up to Hadith extremism, then the system will continue. If the Pakistani government sacrifices one to keep the peace, then nothing will change. The extremists will proclaim their victory and relations between the west and east will further deteriorate. Not to mention this action just gives more fuel to would be Crusaders in America who have burned a few mosques.
At this moment I think it would be best for Pakistan to keep her in jail for now like the others that have committed so called "blasphemy."
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:11 pm

You're ignoring the possibility of the extremists winning in a revolt, which would make things worse for everyone. There's no guarantee the current government would win that fight, you know that, right?

That's why I said it's tricky. You can say that yeah, the extremists would probably lose but then you fall into the problem of people saying that yeah, the Vikings will probably win the Super Bowl now that they have Brett Favre and well...look at their current record.

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Nate (post: 1440438) wrote:You're ignoring the possibility of the extremists winning in a revolt, which would make things worse for everyone. There's no guarantee the current government would win that fight, you know that, right?

There's also the possibility that U.S. troops would end up getting involved in that brawl which wouldn't spell good for those rebels.

Nate (post: 1440438) wrote:That's why I said it's tricky. You can say that yeah, the extremists would probably lose but then you fall into the problem of people saying that yeah, the Vikings will probably win the Super Bowl now that they have Brett Favre and well...look at their current record.

They didn't win last year anyway :lol:

This type of activity isn't anything new. Seljuk Turks were known to force captured enemies to make a choice, convert to Islam and become a slave or be beheaded.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Yamamaya wrote:There's also the possibility that U.S. troops would end up getting involved in that brawl

Why would the US get involved?

To go to war, you have to have a cause. Self-defense is one cause. Defending an allied country being attacked is a second cause. Otherwise you need UN approval. I don't see the UN giving approval for one woman's life, and we're certainly not allies of Pakistan, and it isn't self-defense, so I can't see how the US could get involved.

And even if we could, then you have to say, is the death of all the US soldiers that went worth the lives of one woman? What if those soldiers don't even care about this woman? Why should they have to die just so she can live?

which wouldn't spell good for those rebels.

They didn't win last year anyway :lol:

This type of activity isn't anything new. Seljuk Turks were known to force captured enemies to make a choice, convert to Islam and become a slave or be beheaded.[/QUOTE]

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Nate (post: 1440445) wrote:Why would the US get involved?

To go to war, you have to have a cause. Self-defense is one cause. Defending an allied country being attacked is a second cause. Otherwise you need UN approval. I don't see the UN giving approval for one woman's life, and we're certainly not allies of Pakistan, and it isn't self-defense, so I can't see how the US could get involved.

And even if we could, then you have to say, is the death of all the US soldiers that went worth the lives of one woman? What if those soldiers don't even care about this woman? Why should they have to die just so she can live?

If there's a revolt in a country that is located directly next to Afganistan, then you better believe that the U.S. would get involved. We would probably supply weapons and a few troops. Once a revolt begins, it becomes more than just about one woman. Do you really think the U.S. wants Pakistan to become even more radical than it already is and become a large threat to U.S. interests?

Of course this is all a what if.
Yamamaya

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Nate (post: 1440376) wrote:This is one of those areas where it's hard to say what is the right thing to do.

One has to do what's right in spite of any what ifs, I would think. I just hope that they do. :\
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm just gonna pop in here and talk about how this thread isn't gonna get political at all because you guys are awesome and you never talk about politics on CAA ever, 'cause you're awesome. 8D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Stuff like this just really depresses me...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:One has to do what's right in spite of any what ifs, I would think.

The point of my post is that it's difficult, if not impossible, to determine what IS right. I agree one has to do what's right, that's the point I was making, is trying to determine what that is, and I'm glad I don't have to be the one to decide what is right.

Nate

Postby TWWK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 am

Have any of you visited the Voice of the Martyrswebsite? They're a terrific organization that works with persecuted Christians around the world. I highly recommend their free newsletter, which really helps me keep my head straight about what persecution really is, about the body of Christ beyond my local church, and about having faith in the face of real hardship. You can also join with them in their work - my wife and I used to send Bibles to China and other places through their organization.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:30 am

I feel bad for the lady, because in all honesty she did nothing wrong. I don't know what the decision will be, but I do hope it's best for all of them.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:04 pm

I didn't actually get to read the article (the link was broken), however, from hearing the discussion, here's my thoughts summed up in a jiffy.

1.) God doesn't want us to wish for anyone's death, so hopefully no one dies, not even the woman.
2.) This is a situation we should all be praying over.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 pm

The link didn't work for me either. :/

However, I thought I'd heard days ago she was pardoned? Or at least, it's looks that way?

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=232237
http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=171414

If either site is politically provocative or just a rumor mill, I apologize. I just followed links I found on another site. ^^;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby That Dude » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm more saddened and surprised that we're only now waking up to this in America when for most of the rest of the world, things like this are almost a monthly occurrence. I do think we should all be praying, but we should educate ourselves more about Christian persecution. Because it's happening every day...And I totally would second checking out TWWK's link for Voice Of The Martyrs, it's an excellent ministry.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to General