Is Manga and ANime really ok for christians?

Talk about anything in here.

Is Manga and ANime really ok for christians?

Postby Hub/Lan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:37 pm

I guess I joined this site to get an answer. Not that after i get one that ill just disappear into the dead of night. But my big question is:
Is anime and manga just a vessel for all of japans perversion and
spiritual beleifs?
Or is it really up to the individual series and author?
I guess im wondering becuase everyone says japan is so occultic and perverted and thats all I see in some mangas
While other people keep telling me that Japans just like any other place and that the reason im bombarded with the before mentioned occult and perversion is becuase of where im looking at

The answer to this is really important because anime and manga stuff is already i guess you could say"part of me". I draw alot of manga anywhoo.
I just really wanted to settle this once and for all.
sorry if im just blabbing here. but it really bugs me.
Hub/Lan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm

I think almost everything is a perversion in some way. Maybe even everything.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Anime and manga are just a medium. Would you say that all comic books and rock music are vessels of perversion? The message is independent from the medium. Some anime and manga are perverted sure, but the majority are not. No communication medium is perfect; we try to train ourselves to discern between what is good and what is bad. If you want to know how we feel about a lot of individual series, check out our review section (there's a link for it at the top of the page). A lot of people put effort into judging the propriety and value of these titles.

That said, what answer did you expect from asking a forum that professes to love both Christ and anime? Did you expect we'd say that anime and Christianity are incompatible? We believe that it is possible to glorify God through anime and manga, even secular anime and manga.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I think almost everything is a perversion in some way. Maybe even everything.
I must confess that I don't understand what you mean here at all, but if it's controversial please try to avoid a fight.
Midori

Postby armeck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:04 pm

oh dear, this could start a rather big debate. hey man, it seriously varies, just anything else, many american movies are horrible sick and disgusting, but many are perfectly okay, so the content of manga and anime is vast, you probably wont find one that is perfect but it all depends. i guess i just reworded what midori said, but hopefully between these two posts you will have a descent answer
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Furen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Well as long as you are not making it like an Idol and putting it before God, there's nothing wrong with "Anime" or "Manga" them self. But then again, there's always a counter argument...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:14 pm

I wish people would stop talking about Japan like they're a race of nothing but evil heathens. Ohhh, Japan is so perverted and evil! Like we here in the US aren't?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby goldenspines » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm somewhat echoing Shiroi and Furen in this, just because I'm a slow typist. XD;

Each country around the world is different culturally, religiously, etc. In context, because anime/manga comes from Japan, you need to understand the country's culture before you can understand why there's certain content in their media and how it differs from somewhere else.
As Midori mentioned, the majority of anime/manga is not perverted (depends on your definition, I suppose, but for the most part in the context of Japan's media, it's not).
Because Shintoism and Buddhism is very much a part of the culture in Japan, you will see traces of their ideals in anime/manga (as far as I've seen, I don't pretend to be an expert), but it usually won't be preaching at you or condemning God or anything.

To build a bit off of what Midori said, and somewhat of what MSP said (unless I'm misinterpreting), all things (non living, for the most part) have potential for being good and some for bad, depends on the person. (Please see ref: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2014:14-23&version=NIV)

The important thing to remember is that if anime/manga draws you away from God (or rather, you being selfish in your actions and putting anime/manga or yourself above God), it may be best to avoid it.

/0.02
goldenspines

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:34 pm

I watch some Japanese live action television and it's usually pretty clean. The US is a country of heathens and occultists who put nothing but sex and graphic violence on television.

My advice to you is not to judge a country by its entertainment industry. It can help you understand a little better, but tv is not an accurate picture of a country.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Lynna » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1440355) wrote:I wish people would stop talking about Japan like they're a race of nothing but evil heathens. Ohhh, Japan is so perverted and evil! Like we here in the US aren't?

I wholeheartedly agree! The Japanese are no worse or better than us!! They're human beings so why should we here in the west say "Our comic books are pure and good while yours are perverted and evil!" Seriously. Yes, It's true, anime and manga tends to have Buddhist/Shinto referances, but normally they're not that bad, because All it's referancing into their culture, just like many Things here in the west reference to Christianity, and yet just because something references Christianity doesn't mean it's christian. Do you get what I'm getting at.?
And You say Anime/manga are full of perversion? just flip through music on a secular western radio chanel, and without a doubt, you'll find something just as bad. The only difference is that These things come with the defense that they are for mature people and not for kids (As if we don't hear it anyway) while as anime/manga normally doesn't.
Okay...I'm sorry I rambled a little there:red: But...yeah. Also, I found that anime often is filled with uplifting, christian messages, some of which I honestly see less and less of in western pop culture.
Although...I do think anime, like all pop culture, should be evaluated and measured, and if there's a show that doesn't meet up to your measure's and convictions, you probably shouldn't watch it. I actually joined CAA because of it's fabulous Review Section, Assuring that I can easily do This.
And I also repeat what others said about anime not becoming an Idol. Nothing Should ever take the place of God. Our lives and actions need to be built around him
oh dear, this could start a rather big debate.

Except the majority of us are in agreement...
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 pm

I've come to the conclusion some anime/manga have a better message or purpose then most American TV shows. Though I do love me my TV. Ok...I'm probablly not the best person to ask. I'm a terrible Christian for the most part.

Not to mention I am a person who is highly interested in other cultures and countries so I don't at all mind the references to Japanese culture.
TopazRaven

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:39 pm

As cliche' as this is, I believe art (be it manga, anime, or any other medium) is a form of self-expression. Midori pretty much nailed it. Most forms of art are geared toward a specific audience. If one doesn't grasp the message and/or the medium, it's just not fair to say all forms of art in that medium are "perverted" or whichever term is used to describe them.

I don't understand certain anime, manga, film, art, or writings, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. If it doesn't sit well with me, that's ultimately my decision and I do my best not to appear as though I'm trying to convince others that my opinion is the one to agree with. Make sense? Sorry if I drew things out too much.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby KougaHane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1440355) wrote:I wish people would stop talking about Japan like they're a race of nothing but evil heathens. Ohhh, Japan is so perverted and evil! Like we here in the US aren't?

I agree 100%. People in American churches say Japan is so perverted and unclean. Why aren't they doing anything to witness to them then. We shun everyone who seems 'unclean.'

Hypothetical anecdote: A man in dirty clothes and long hair walks into a church one Sunday morning and gets shunned for being a dirty lowlife. As he is walking away, he prays, "God, they wouldn't let me in." God replies, "It's ok son. They won't let me in either."
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1440334) wrote:I think almost everything is a perversion in some way. Maybe even everything.

That leaves two possibilities. The first is that almost everything is a perversion. In which case, your statement that everything is a perversion is false and unhelpful, while your statement that almost everything is a perversion is truthful and unhelpful.

The second possibility, that everything is a perversion, means that the thought that everything is a perversion is a perversion of that thought. This, of course, is a self-violating statement and regardless of whether it is truthful or not, is unhelpful.

If you accept the possibility that either one of the above may be true, then you have no idea what is corrupt or not because admitting that there is a possibility that everything is corrupt means that you can't admit everything is corrupt because you can't admit anything because you have no philosophical reference upon which to compare anything to anything. In other words, your entire post literally means nothing and is unhelpful.

All of this begs the question of why you posted it in this thread when the opening poster wanted an honest and helpful answer to his ethical dilemma. We have ourselves a new truth-seeker on the boards, so let's help him/her with the truth seeking instead of trying to confuse him.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Hub/Lan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:35 pm

i guess the general view im reading as manga and as a meduim and as expression is my questions answer (one of many). Thank You (so much.) I shall now return to my utter noobness.
Hub/Lan

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:41 pm

"Anime" and "Manga" is an art form. What it conveys is controlled by the artist. The medium in itself is not evil, but it is how you use it. For example, a knife could be used as a murder weapon or a vital instrument in saving someone during surgery.

The point? It really does vary. Like all forms of entertainment, there's the bad stuff you should stay FAR, FAR AWAY from, and the clean stuff that isn't damaging to the brain. Besides, Japan isn't the only one who has nasty shows. Even here in the US we have some pretty nasty and occultic stuff *coughSUPERNATURALcough*.

And Midori-san pretty much explained it better than the rest of us did. Besides, I too believe manga can be used for good. It's the art-style I am personally able to draw and prefer to draw, and I want to use it for God in anyway I can, creating stories that reach people and bring them to Him. And if you can't find any good anime and manga yourself, why not create your own so some good anime and manga can exist? The more people do, the more you'll find. ^.^
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:18 pm

ich1990 (post: 1440381) wrote:That leaves two possibilities. The first is that almost everything is a perversion. In which case, your statement that everything is a perversion is false and unhelpful, while your statement that almost everything is a perversion is truthful and unhelpful.

The second possibility, that everything is a perversion, means that the thought that everything is a perversion is a perversion of that thought. This, of course, is a self-violating statement and regardless of whether it is truthful or not, is unhelpful.

If you accept the possibility that either one of the above may be true, then you have no idea what is corrupt or not because admitting that there is a possibility that everything is corrupt means that you can't admit everything is corrupt because you can't admit anything because you have no philosophical reference upon which to compare anything to anything. In other words, your entire post literally means nothing and is unhelpful.

All of this begs the question of why you posted it in this thread when the opening poster wanted an honest and helpful answer to his ethical dilemma. We have ourselves a new truth-seeker on the boards, so let's help him/her with the truth seeking instead of trying to confuse him.

It was a fleeting thought I had. Probably best to have kept it to myself.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1440408) wrote:It was a fleeting thought I had. Probably best to have kept it to myself.

Fair enough. I apologize for going after you like that. Next time I will send a PM instead.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:22 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1440396) wrote:The point? It really does vary. Like all forms of entertainment, there's the bad stuff you should stay FAR, FAR AWAY from, and the clean stuff that isn't damaging to the brain. Besides, Japan isn't the only one who has nasty shows. Even here in the US we have some pretty nasty and occultic stuff *coughSUPERNATURALcough*.

:bang: Figures I like that show to right? Lord forgive me.
TopazRaven

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Its just like any other TV. There are some crappy live action shows and comics too! So I say its just fine. As long as you watch the right ones, and dont let it get in the way of everything else important in your life. Which goes along with normal TV too. So i say its fine.
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:35 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1440411) wrote::bang: Figures I like that show to right? Lord forgive me.

I don't know anything about Supernatural, but don't beat yourself up too much!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:39 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1440420) wrote:I don't know anything about Supernatural, but don't beat yourself up too much!

It's gotten pretty controversal latley. I stopped watching it for awhile because I wasn't sure I liked how they where portraying God and the angels, but I'm also itching to know how it's all going to end so I might start up with it again. I don't think it's as bad as some people say, but then again look at some of the other stuff I watch.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:51 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1440411) wrote::bang: Figures I like that show to right? Lord forgive me.

Tch. Seriously, don't worry about it. I have a ton of Christian friends that love that show. I don't like it because I thought it was stupid that everything in the first season was solved with a gun, but it's not un-Christian of you to like it.

It's no different from liking horror shows, and there are.... enough.... board members here that do.

And it's up to individual discernment as to what is spritually offensive/toxic. Someone else may not be able to handle the content, even if you can. You've already shown some of that in feeling uncomfortable in how God and the angels were portrayed. Even if you pick it up later, that's okay since you recognize that there's something wrong in their portrayal.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Lynna (post: 1440366) wrote:I wholeheartedly agree! The Japanese are no worse or better than us!! They're human beings so why should we here in the west say "Our comic books are pure and good while yours are perverted and evil!" Seriously. Yes, It's true, anime and manga tends to have Buddhist/Shinto referances, but normally they're not that bad, because All it's referancing into their culture, just like many Things here in the west reference to Christianity, and yet just because something references Christianity doesn't mean it's christian. Do you get what I'm getting at.?
And You say Anime/manga are full of perversion? just flip through music on a secular western radio chanel, and without a doubt, you'll find something just as bad. The only difference is that These things come with the defense that they are for mature people and not for kids (As if we don't hear it anyway) while as anime/manga normally doesn't.
Okay...I'm sorry I rambled a little there:red: But...yeah. Also, I found that anime often is filled with uplifting, christian messages, some of which I honestly see less and less of in western pop culture.
Although...I do think anime, like all pop culture, should be evaluated and measured, and if there's a show that doesn't meet up to your measure's and convictions, you probably shouldn't watch it. I actually joined CAA because of it's fabulous Review Section, Assuring that I can easily do This.
And I also repeat what others said about anime not becoming an Idol. Nothing Should ever take the place of God. Our lives and actions need to be built around him

Except the majority of us are in agreement...

I heartily agree with you my dear except: how can you say 'in the US' when technically your Canadian? xD

TopazRaven (post: 1440367) wrote:I've come to the conclusion some anime/manga have a better message or purpose then most American TV shows. Though I do love me my TV. Ok...I'm probablly not the best person to ask. I'm a terrible Christian for the most part.

Topaz, there is no such thing as a good Christian, and I think Christian with common sense knows that compared to what we should be, we are all terrible Christians.:hits_self:bang: dont beat urself up. :thumb:

I agree about the messages thing. Most Western media wont really dig very deep, while anime dares to delve into the human condition, and other tough issues.
AnimeGirl (post: 1440396) wrote:"Anime" and "Manga" is an art form. What it conveys is controlled by the artist. The medium in itself is not evil, but it is how you use it. For example, a knife could be used as a murder weapon or a vital instrument in saving someone during surgery.

The point? It really does vary. Like all forms of entertainment, there's the bad stuff you should stay FAR, FAR AWAY from, and the clean stuff that isn't damaging to the brain. Besides, Japan isn't the only one who has nasty shows. And Midori-san pretty much explained it better than the rest of us did. Besides, I too believe manga can be used for good. It's the art-style I am personally able to draw and prefer to draw, and I want to use it for God in anyway I can, creating stories that reach people and bring them to Him. And if you can't find any good anime and manga yourself, why not create your own so some good anime and manga can exist? The more people do, the more you'll find. ^.^

Exactly. For instance, the Christian 'manga' Serenity is quite good, and a great witness. Try christianmanga.net for more options. :)

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Hub/Lan (post: 1440332) wrote:I guess I joined this site to get an answer. Not that after i get one that ill just disappear into the dead of night. But my big question is:
Is anime and manga just a vessel for all of japans perversion and
spiritual beleifs?
Or is it really up to the individual series and author?
I guess im wondering becuase everyone says japan is so occultic and perverted and thats all I see in some mangas
While other people keep telling me that Japans just like any other place and that the reason im bombarded with the before mentioned occult and perversion is becuase of where im looking at

The answer to this is really important because anime and manga stuff is already i guess you could say"part of me". I draw alot of manga anywhoo.
I just really wanted to settle this once and for all.
sorry if im just blabbing here. but it really bugs me.

No more or less than TV or books in general. It just depends on the individual series.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 pm

airichan623 (post: 1440463) wrote:I agree about the messages thing. Most Western media wont really dig very deep, while anime dares to delve into the human condition, and other tough issues.

This iiiisss vaguely off topic, but you should go watch Lost. Or something. That is just a starting point for Western TV shows/movies that deal with deeper issues in the human condition. XD Seriously, I feel like quality Western entertainment gets the shaft sometimes because it's often not as "mainstream" as things like Dancing with the Stars and Survivor, but there are some excellent stories out there (whether they're aired on TV as a serial or written as a movie) written by Americans and other people of Western nationalities, and they are seriously worth looking into. XD

</entertainment rant> XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 pm

airichan623 (post: 1440463) wrote:I agree about the messages thing. Most Western media wont really dig very deep, while anime dares to delve into the human condition, and other tough issues.

At the risk of sound presumptuous, I'm gonna say that every time I hear this I feel like this is a defensive position that anime fans take when "westerns" criticize anime as "cartoons". There are tons of western shows that dig into tough issues. Furthermore, someone could argue that "deep" western shows do not follow the same cliche patterns/tropes that so many anime does.

I dunno. It all sounds like confirmation bias. There have been a few anime which I see as truly deep. But the majority of them are not. I suppose the same applies to western media as well, granted there is a whole lot more variety with western media, even in Hollywood.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:52 pm

I think it's more a matter of aesthetics than profundity. Maybe some people like the Japanese aesthetic better than the Western. I personally can go either way. There are some great American shows out there-- Firefly is one of my personal favorites and one of the best television shows I've ever seen.

Also, both American and Japanese shows are cliche from time to time. It's not exclusive to one or the other. Tropes get used and reused. And it's not always a bad thing.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I only mentioned it 'cause I used to be a HUGE addict of that show! But by Season 4, it went downhill from there and I didn't feel good about watching it anymore (actually more so, I was getting bothered by it for awhile). But I don't think anyone who watches it is bad or anything, I just wanted to show an example ^.^'
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Hiryu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I think most of the anime/manga is acceptable for christians.

It's the same as asking "Is music really ok for christians?" Well, there's songs of worship and praise for Jesus, there's songs that don't have Jesus in it, and there are songs that condemn Jesus and/or encourage evil behavior. As a christian, what do you think you should listen to?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much anime/manga about christianity, but nonetheless, the stories in the series can be quite enjoyable. Some even have a few good moral qualities within them.
Hiryu

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm

[quote="Midori (post: 1440342)"]Anime and manga are just a medium. Would you say that all comic books and rock music are vessels of perversion? The message is independent from the medium. Some anime and manga are perverted sure, but the majority are not. No communication medium is perfect]
This is all that really needs to be said on the subject, I think.

Oh no I'm just making the thread go on longeeerrrr!! @.@
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Next

Return to General