Real or Fake Christmas Tree

Talk about anything in here.

Real or Fake Christmas Tree

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 am

Well, it's that time of year again, so I thought I'd repeat a poll I did during my first year. How many of you still get those real trees, despite the mess they make?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:22 am

We've got fake. My wife is allergic.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:47 am

Fake. We've had our little fake tree since I was 6. It doesn't make a mess, we don't have to worry about keeping it alive, and when the season is over we can store it for the next one, which makes it overall less expensive.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:07 am

Technically speaking a fake tree would be the more logical choice. It's not messy, you don't have to worry about watering it and such and you are also somewhat saving a tree from being chopped down. Yet I still get a real tree every year because I feel it is part of the holiday. The mess is worth it. I always give my tree a name. Last year my tree was named Arthur. xD I wonder what name I should give this years tree? Yes, before anyone asks, I am quite aware of how insane I am.
TopazRaven

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 am

Fake. Less messy and way cheaper.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 am

Real, Norwegian tradition. We even go to the forest to get it ourselves.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am

Real. I'd worry about the environmental impact of cutting down trees but I'm pretty sure they grow them specifically for this purpose.
Midori

Postby Beau Soir » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 am

I prefer real. There's nothing quite like the wafting smell of a fresh Christmas tree when you walk in from the cold.

We also have a smaller fake one that we set up downstairs so I get to decorate one myself, because I help my mother with the huge real one, but she likes to decorate it basically the same way every year.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby samurai10 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:25 am

well, i've had a fake one ever since i can remember. let's see, it's.... probably about 7 years old. i was too young when we had a real tree to remember anything about it. :P so, i do prefer fake though. even though real tree smell nice, fake ones are less expensive, because you can use them year after year. like me! XD fake ones, in my eyes, are more practical. but, i've never had a real one, so i can't say. :P
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am

my parents will be doing fake due to allergies. I won't be doing one at all.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Midori (post: 1440234) wrote:I'm pretty sure they grow them specifically for this purpose.

They do and they're called Christmas Tree Farms.

Artifical trees are typically made of reusabed plastic, vinyl, and PVC while Natural trees are grown on a lot and not taken from the wild. Neither have any environmental impact but the Natural trees that are grown may sometimes offer a habitat for smaller animals. Of course, this depends on how much pesticide is used on the farm.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 pm

I choose fake. Cheaper, and more convenient.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby goldenspines » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Real; since I have yet to see an actually nice looking and smelling fake one.
Plus, there's something about getting a new tree every year that adds to the season and makes the holiday more memorable. A real Christmas tree is different every time; big, small, lopsided, bushy, etc...
Also, I'm fairly fond of the pine smell, so I'm biased. XD
goldenspines

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Real, and if you love baby Jesus you will get a real one too.

They do and they're called Christmas Tree Farms.
As someone who lives on a Christmas Tree Farm, I can corroborate. Unless you go and cut a naturally growing one down, the net effect on the the environment is zero, as all trees are grown for this purpose (and won't be grown if there isn't any demand for them).

In fact, if you buy a plastic one you will be harming the environment even more, as they are made of refined petroleum products and will eventually end up in a landfill where they won't decompose for hundreds or thousands of years.

As for animal habitats, it is not much of an issue. Farms don't "clear cut" a section of trees, rather they selectively take the well matured and nicest looking ones from the fields and leave the rest to grow for next year. Thus, the worst that could happen is force a rabbit or bird to relocate their nest a few feet to next nearest tree.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:31 pm

We get real at my place. In fact it's kinda a special occasion when we go visit friends who live a long way away and we chop a 40' tree down on their lot. Since they have many many acres they are trying to deforest, it's a win win. And yeah, we only take the top 5'-6'. If it servives the fall. Last year we cut down 4. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:35 pm

We've always had a real one. We got down to the local farm place, where they have them already cut. (We went and cut ourselves one one year, but it was more expensive, or something like that. XD) Last few years, we've bought a tree that was just a little too tall. XD So we've had to take several inches off the bottom, or take a bit off the top.

But no matter what we do our angel always seems to be squished against the ceiling. XD

And Rusty, that is amazing. o.o
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:26 pm

When my dad was still alive, he'd go cut down a cedar tree for Christmas each year (since the pines where we live would make terrible Christmas trees). After he died, interest in getting a real tree waned, so we got a fake one. It's cleaner, easier to take care of (no water, reusable), and cheaper than getting a real one every year.
Real, and if you love baby Jesus you will get a real one too.

Baby Jesus is kind of mean if he wants people with allergies to be miserable all Christmas. :p

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:51 pm

doesn't mature and drop pines
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Nate (post: 1440306) wrote:Baby Jesus is kind of mean if he wants people with allergies to be miserable all Christmas. :p
Hey, I don't make the rules.....
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Furen (post: 1440319) wrote:doesn't mature and drop pines

Um, what?
Atria35

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm

REAL!!
Real ones are thicker and a more natural element in the living room Christmas scene. I can't do the plastic/wire thing.

I feel sorry for those with allergies. I have allergies too (but for something else). Thankfully, we won't have any in heaven! :D

I don't feel bad for these specific trees being cut down since people do grow them for this purpose.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

"Artificial", please. "Fake" is so pejorative.

And the artificial tree in my living room right now belonged to my parents. It's over 40 years old. With proper care, they can last a very long time. And all of the cars any one of you will own over a 40-year period will likely leak more oil, gasoline, and brake and transmission fluid hydrocarbons and heavy metals into the environment than this tree could ever supply.

So, go ahead. Make that trek deep into the woods in your 4-wheel drive SUV gas guzzler. Chop down that living organism that took -- what -- ten, twelve years to grow; count the rings just for fun. Destroy some more foliage on your way out. Have it hauled it twenty, thirty, fifty miles to your home -- putting more CO2 into the environment with every engine stroke. Toss it out on the garbage heap two weeks later to have it hauled (another ten, twenty miles) to some landfill. Do it every year, for 40 years, and tell me how environmentally sensitive you are.

And have a Merry Christmas. :P
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Return to General