Need help with US history essay

Talk about anything in here.

Need help with US history essay

Postby Edward » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:33 pm

:?:

Hey guys, I really need some help writing a 3 page essay in US history. It is due in two days :hits_self, and I really need help getting some sources. Here's the prompt: How would the following founding fatthers asess Andrew Jackson's prsidency: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton. Consider Jackson's democratic views, his reaction to the nullification issue, his support for expansion, and his attack on the Bank of the United States.

I want reputable sources, not wikipedia. I would prefer internet sources, or maybe a book that I could easily find at the library. I am not asking for help writing the essay itself, just getting sources. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

PS links are appreciated, and if a source is very long or wordy, please tell me which part I need to read. Thanks

PPS And yes, I know, it is very late to get started on a big essay, but I do not want any posts dealing with my procrastination, just reccomended sources
Edward

Postby Midori » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:43 pm

How I often use Wikipedia (and I know many others do to) is I look at the citations given in the article and follow those links to the sources, or check out the books they reference. Wikipedia is really big on citations, so it ought to bring you to some more trustworthy pages about the subject. I'm sorry I can't link you to any specific sources, because I'm not a history major, but that's my advice.
Midori

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Oh man. You can shred Jackson apart.

What's interesting is that Jefferson opposed slavery more than most of the othe founding fathers. Naturally he would have been vehemently opposed to the westward expansion and genocide of native Americans. Jefferson's version of the declaration of independence, when referring to "all men created equal" he meant all men. Like slaves included. But the rich male landowners did not like this and reworked his clause.

Jefferson was probably one of the better founding causes we've had.

Peanut and Fish are the real history buffs though. I'm sure they'll be much more helpful. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1440131) wrote:Oh man. You can shred Jackson apart.

What's interesting is that Jefferson opposed slavery more than most of the othe founding fathers. Naturally he would have been vehemently opposed to the westward expansion and genocide of native Americans. Jefferson's version of the declaration of independence, when referring to "all men created equal" he meant all men. Like slaves included. But the rich male landowners did not like this and reworked his clause.

Jefferson was probably one of the better founding causes we've had.

Peanut and Fish are the real history buffs though. I'm sure they'll be much more helpful. XD

Although Jefferson was still a hypocrite since he owned slaves.

Jackson was a bit of a disaster to be sure. His policies regarding slavery and Indians is repulsive at best.
His attack on the Bank of the U.S. was based on good intentions but it ended up causing an economic depression.

On the plus side, his election was the first in which every white male regardless of income was allowed to vote. Which was a step foward back in those times.:lol:
Yamamaya

Postby SailorDove » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 pm

I'd recommend William J. Federer's books. (He's quite renown for his knowledge on the Presidents.) And the book Eric Petersen edited of Jefferson's words. Post more as I find them.

"America's God and Country"
"Treasury of Presidential Quotations"

"Light and Liberty" is the book of inspiration that Thomas Jefferson never wrote, although every word here is his. Editor Eric S. Petersen, after extensive study of Jefferson's reports, state papers, speeches, and twenty thousand letters...
http://www.lightandliberty.org/
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Edward (post: 1440116) wrote:How would the following founding fatthers asess Andrew Jackson's prsidency: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton. Consider Jackson's democratic views, his reaction to the nullification issue, his support for expansion, and his attack on the Bank of the United States.
How Hamilton feels about banks.
How Jefferson feels about banks.

Hint: Jefferson thought a national bank was unconstitutional. Hamilton thought Jefferson was an enormous tool.

Jackson thinks states ignoring federal legislation is adorable.
Jefferson disapproves.

That should get you started.
Fish and Chips

Return to General