Anime of the 112th United States Congress [Winter 2011]

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Falx » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 pm

This is getting to be more interesting by the day.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Wow, the animation in that trailer looks incredible.

But the music, for whatever reason, just reminded me of "Radio Friendly Song" so I couldn't take it too seriously. It also doesn't look to be my cup of tea either, so I'll probably pass on it. I mean, the "magical girl with a rifle" does make my interest rise slightly, but judging from the trailer it isn't a magical girl show (or at least that isn't the main focus), so I can't get into it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:08 am

Hourou Musuko and Madoka Magica are two different shows.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 am

blkmage (post: 1437404) wrote:Oh man, this trailer. This trailer.
Dat animation.

This clenches it. I'm watching this (somehow).
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:15 pm

blkmage wrote:Hourou Musuko and Madoka Magica are two different shows.

Whoops, that's what I get for only casually reading the thread.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:36 pm

This week's Madoka Magica character is a girl with a sword voiced by Kitamura Eri (Ami from Toradora, Karen from Bakemonogatari, Yui from Angel Beats). I was actually hoping they'd stick to the ranged theme and bring out a character with some kind of heavy gun, but I suspected we'd get a melee character. Oh well.

blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:41 pm

blkmage (post: 1439660) wrote:This week's Madoka Magica character is a girl with a sword voiced by Kitamura Eri (Ami from Toradora, Karen from Bakemonogatari, Yui from Angel Beats). I was actually hoping they'd stick to the ranged theme and bring out a character with some kind of heavy gun, but I suspected we'd get a melee character. Oh well.

[pic]

Okay, what is this? :oops: I looked it up a little, but didn't find much...and am wondering if I missed reading something in this thread? The art is pretty, and the characters sound interesting but what is Madoka Magica? *blink*
MightiMidget

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:57 pm

GOSICK and Hourou Musuko have caught my interest. Hourou Musuko is quite interesting and the animation is beautiful. I want to watch this. 8D
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:18 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1439662) wrote:Okay, what is this? :oops: I looked it up a little, but didn't find much...and am wondering if I missed reading something in this thread? The art is pretty, and the characters sound interesting but what is Madoka Magica? *blink*

blkmage (post: 1435498) wrote:[color="Lime"][SIZE="4"][B] Puella Magi Madoka ★][/SIZE][/color]
Studio: SHAFT
Director: Shinbo Akiyuki (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Bakemonogatari, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
Cast: Aoi Yuuki

Akiyuki Shinbo of SHAFT fame is leading his merry crew of weird staff to create Shinbo's first original anime project since SoulTaker. Madoka Magica is going to be a magical girl show and already sports an incredibly impressive staff lineup. We've got script and scenario by Urobuchi Gen (Fate/Zero and various Nitro+ visual novels), character design by Ume Aoki (Hidamari Sketch), character design adaptation by Takahiro Kishida (Baccano!, Durarara!!, Serial Experiements Lain), and music scored by Kajiura Yuki (Kara no Kyoukai, .hack//SIGN, My-HiME). Every week until January, during the Togainu no Chi broadcast, a CM will run with more information about the show. I am looking forward to this show so much.

Essentially, it's a new original magical girl show that's backed by a very impressive staff.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 pm

And to make this week better, the next Nanoha movie has been announced and the first movie is coming out on BD today!
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby Falx » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 am

Promo for Nichijou Kyoto Animation's new series.

Looks like they're giving themselves a break from uber animation.

Falx

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:50 am

Falx (post: 1439705) wrote:Promo for Nichijou Kyoto Animation's new series.

Ah, well. It looks cute, anyways.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:29 pm

blkmage (post: 1439668) wrote:Essentially, it's a new original magical girl show that's backed by a very impressive staff.

Ahha! Thank you! Sorry I didn't...notice it. Heh. :sweat:

It's sounding super fun.
MightiMidget

Postby ich1990 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:34 pm

blkmage wrote:Oh man, this trailer. This trailer.
Day, night, indoor, outdoor, doesn't matter: their heads are shiny. Is this some sort of trademark of the company, or is this just weird animation?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:58 pm

No, it's definitely specific to the series. I'll admit, it's a bit strange, but I'm willing to accept it because I enjoy the other aspects of the style a lot.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Hey, more trailers.

GOSICK, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Nice trailers. Wasn't expecting the second one to be as good as it was, but now I'm fairly excited about it.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

The second one still doesn't impress me, but it does have 'Zombie' in the name. Maybe I can expect something along the lines of Fate/Stay Night.... cuteified.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm not entirely sure if the second one looks amusing or sickening...I may end up trying it depending if it gets picked up by someone. . . GOSICK is much different than I was expecting for some reason. :oops;
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 pm

This week's Madoka Magica reveal is the token animal mascot, who will be voiced by Katou Emiri (Kagami from Lucky Star, Mayoi from Bakemonogatari, Hideyoshi from BakaTest).

blkmage

Postby Falx » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 am

Interesting, but I would really prefer an actual promo. Surely they have some animation to show off by now?

Falx

Postby blkmage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:07 am

Well, these have been weekly commercials so far, and there's three or four weeks left, so I imagine they're building up to it. At this point, they've covered the principal characters so who knows what they'll have next week. But, I have learned that Kalafina's new single, Magia, is going to be the ED for the show. I was personally hoping for supercell, but that was unlikely given that they'd just released a single this week (Hero). Kalafina makes sense though, because of Kajiura.
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 am

Might have to check out GOSICK now, because it looks pretty good--Rapunzel hair notwithstanding.

The zombie one could go either way. Currently it looks like the same old tired combo of Loli-murderers + fanservice. I might be interested if it turns out to be different.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 am

ich1990 (post: 1441230) wrote:The zombie one could go either way. Currently it looks like the same old tired combo of Loli-murderers + fanservice. I might be interested if it turns out to be different.

It's looking the same way to me...after watching the trailer I was not sure whether to be repulsed or amused. I guess I'll see after the reviews come out.
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 am

So some magazine scans have revealed some actual anime art (as opposed to just Ume Aoki's designs) and that ClariS of Nico Nico Douga and OreImo fame will be doing the OP. No word on who will be writing the song though. kz, the first Vocaloid producer to release a commercial Vocaloid album wrote the OreImo OP (it sounds ridiculously similar to one of his Vocaloid songs, Packaged). ClariS, much like nagi from supercell, made it big singing covers of anison and Vocaloid songs in Nico Nico Douga.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 am

Hmm, the promo character sketches basically screamed "Ume Aoki" but in the new shots her influence is... muted I guess.

Can't tell if it's a good or bad thing, but still quite excited for this.

Falx

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 pm

More new anime!

[SIZE="4"]Level E[/SIZE]
Studio: Pierrot, David Production
Director: Kato Toshiyuki (Full Moon o Sagashite, Mission-E, Maria Sama ga Miteru)
Cast: Namikawa Daisuke

Based on a Shounen Jump manga from the 90s by some guy who wrote Yu Yu Hakusho and Hiatus X Hiatus. It's about an alien prince who crash lands on earth and is apparently more comedic than his other, more popular works. Also features a more realistic art style.

[SIZE="4"]Houkago no Pleiades[/SIZE]
Studio: GAINAX
Director: Saeki Shouji (FLCL, He is My Master, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World)
Cast: ???

Gainax's next amazing project is the result of a collaboration with Subaru. Yes, that Subaru, the one that makes the Impreza. God only knows what this could possibly be about because that concept art does not look like it has anything to do with rally cars.

[SIZE="4"]Freezing[/SIZE]
Studio: ACGT
Director: Watanabe Takashi (Ikkitousen, Shakugan no Shana, Slayers)
Cast: Hanazawa Kana, Noto Mamiko, Ichiki Mitsuhiro

Something about guys having to pair up with girls for combat against aliens and fanservice.

[SIZE="4"]Suite Precure♪[/SIZE]
Studio: Toei
Director: ???
Cast: ???

I know someone here likes PreCure, so here you go, there's more.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Here is a more recent, and most probably final, Winter 2011 anime chart.

Level E was sort of a random anime announcement. Yoshihiro Togashi is popular...but to suddenly decide to animate a short series that's almost a decade and a half old?

Subaru is actually the Japanese name for the Pleiades, but I have no clue as to what benefits an anime (about astronomy apparently) offers a car manufacturer.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:59 pm

I've heard that Level E is pretty good- I'm going to check it out.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Nothing looks super tempting, but I will definitely be looking up reviews for Houkago. Must say I'm curious about that.
MightiMidget

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews