Chi?

Talk about anything in here.

Chi?

Postby Sparx00 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 am

Does chi exist? I've heard some people say that chi a real force and that everybody has it. Also what does it do anyways? And if it's something that we have, how come the knowledge of how to use it been passed down through generations?
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 am

Chi (pronounced "ki" by the way) is probably not real unless you can make it correspond to some scientific principle. At any rate, it definitely can't give you any special physical powers like in anime. The closest things I can think of would be the focus of your mind (what you're thinking about) or your emotional "aura" you exude to other people (through subtle body language, facial expressions, etc.), which entirely depends on your personality and has little to do with real power.
Midori

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14 am

Okay, Chi (or qi) is basically the "life energy" in a living thing. The Western equivalent is the "spirit" or "soul", though it's not entirely an accurate description.

"Qi" is an energy that is a part of everything and links everything together, much like the Force does in Star Wars. The different bits of qi work together to make a functioning being.

The last question sounds like you're thinking of Fung Shui, where practitioners beleive they can change the qi of a place by moving things and objects around. Well, certain directions and objects are associated with certain qi energies, much the same way as directions are often associated with elements. So (purely example, I have no real working knowledge of Fung Shui) moving a globe (travel qi) into a direction associated with travel qi would make the person in that room want to travel and travel often.

The knowledge of how to use it has been passed down much like language has been passed down- it's something we have and we pass down the knowledge of how to use it.

Does qi exist? It can neither be proved nor disproved.
Atria35

Postby Hiryu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 am

From what I've seen, chi is related to astral projection, psychic abilities,mind body spirit connection,acupuncture, feng shui and martial arts.

Chi is your life force. Everything has chi and we are all connected to everything by it.

Take feng shui for example. The color, shape, and location of objects you place around you can either slow, redirect, or accelerate the chi you possess.

As for whether it's true or not, I cannot prove nor disprove it's existence. It's vaguely possible, though.
Hiryu

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:02 am

I think there are some truthful elements to it, but overall I think it's just bunk.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:24 am

I study Tae Kwon Do, and one of the high up masters from Korea said that the negative Chi (or ki, as the say in korea XP) is what we call stress. This negative energy can be exhausted and replaced by positive energy through vigorous excercise and good attitudes and such.
Imho, this is a simple Godly Truth (that laying around and being snippy and rude make you feel worse, wheras doing stuff and living in a Godly manner makes you feel best) that they observed long ago, and not knowing (or not listening) about God, they developed the idea of Chi or Ki.
Chi is also a word for blood in Japanese, so in that sense I can definately say that "Chi" exists. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:25 am

Man I thought this was a thread about Chobits at first.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 am

The Japanese word for blood is "chi", pronounced "chee" like in "cheese" and written 血.

The Japanese word for "qi" or "chi" is "ki", pronounced like "key" and written 気.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Ki is a psychological phenomenon that can be used by martial artists and such to sharpen mental focus. While you won't be cutting falling leaves in two with your brainpower, imagining Ki when you throw a punch can help you focus on that punch and applying the correct technique and optimum force while doing so.

Therefore, I see it as a useful mental exercise that can produce very real results, without actually being real itself. Somewhat analogous to the placebo effect, if you will.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Midori (post: 1438989) wrote:Chi (pronounced "ki" by the way) is probably not real unless you can make it correspond to some scientific principle.

So then can you put souls or the existence of God to some scientific principle? (Especially the former) Does the inability to scientifically correspond something negate it's existence? Or is this strictly a western/modern concept? What makes science so legitimate when it comes to knowing truths?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Straylight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Nate (post: 1439005) wrote:Man I thought this was a thread about Chobits at first.

lol so did I!
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby armeck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:02 pm

i know people who insist that they have shocked themselves trying to do soemthing with chi, that same person also claims to have created an engergy ball that sucked his life away so idk how believeable what he says is. a lot of people i know insist that chi is real, but what you can do with it, is VERY debatable
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1439013) wrote:So then can you put souls or the existence of God to some scientific principle? (Especially the former) Does the inability to scientifically correspond something negate it's existence? Or is this strictly a western/modern concept? What makes science so legitimate when it comes to knowing truths?
Note that I said probably. If you want to instead relate the principle of Chi to something in Christian religion, I am not opposed.

See, just as a Western speaker can mean many different things when he says 'soul', so 'chi' can mean many different things, some definitely real, and some dubious. The Chi ich1990 speaks about is very noticable; I've felt it myself practicing Karate. The Chi you see in anime that lets you shoot projectiles and read minds is obviously not real. Things inbetween are harder to judge; and I, by habit, tend to take a skeptical position.
Midori

Postby Dante » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Is there an Aleph 1.5 between cardinalities, Aleph 0 and Aleph 1?
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Beau Soir » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Nate (post: 1439005) wrote:Man I thought this was a thread about Chobits at first.

Straylight (post: 1439016) wrote:lol so did I!

Glad I'm not the only one. XD;

Looks like the question has been answered already, so I'll say nothing more here.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Rewin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:37 pm

i did too, had to open it just to see. I think that was all part of the OP's plan just to get more views on his thread ;)
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Postby That Dude » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Along these lines...

Scientists recently did a study (sorry I forgot the source) of the electrical flow within the human body and it lined up almost about %90 with the chi meridians that acupuncturists use for their art.

Anyway I do think that the natural bio-electrics that our body creates can be defined as chi and that in this aspect it certainly does exist...Though as others have said, chi is a somewhat vague term so not all aspects of it can be scientifically proven.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Of course Chi exists. She's a robot.

*ruins philosophical conversation*
Yamamaya

Return to General