Problems with cursing, any advice?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Nate (post: 1437038) wrote:
I sometimes use that kind of language even when I'm praying. I use it not with malice most of the time, but exasperation. Frustration. Confusion. I will tell God "I don't know what the f to do" much of the time. I'm not saying that out of hatred to God, but because I'm lost. I'm hurt. It's a way of expressing how deep my emotion is.

one of the most honest prayers i ever heard when my unlce said "God forgive me for being an A--"
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:55 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1437061) wrote:I haven't been here long enough, I've only seen two disagreements so far I think. For the most part. xD

XD;; Theres been more. they even debated on tights and leggings. XDDD lol but that is another discussion entirely.....
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby bkilbour » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:10 pm

...this thread was meant to help topaz stop swearing - not to be an argument on it.
Sheesh, if you have to argue about something, take it to political forums, would ya? Fighting when someone wants help is like the red cross and the salvation army going to war; it's not gonna do any good.

ANYways...

Topaz, I feel your pain on swearing, though. Avoiding any "swearing like sailors" jokes, I found that I did it a lot when I wasn't thinking about it. If you don't resolve to quit doing it, then you're gonna do it; the problem is that the habit can come back really quickly, and will at random intervals.
Usually, I just flick my lips with my fingers whenever I'm trying not to swear. If I do that enough, it's kind of like Pavlov's dog, because you just instinctively stop. Don't punish yourself, just set up an reminder not to do it.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:24 pm

bkilbour (post: 1437068) wrote:...this thread was meant to help topaz stop swearing - not to be an argument on it.
Sheesh, if you have to argue about something, take it to political forums, would ya? Fighting when someone wants help is like the red cross and the salvation army going to war]punish[/I] yourself, just set up an reminder not to do it.

Thank you, that's actually very good advice and an interesting way to try and prevent it, I'll have to give it a shot. Honestly, I don't mind the debate though. I actually find it interesting to see everyone's difference of oppinion on the matter.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:27 pm

yeah i was gonna try and quit for good a whlie back, and i noticed that if i cussed once it took over a week to get back out of the habbit (i gave up on trying to quit completely)
armeck

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:43 pm

[quote="bkilbour (post: 1437068)"]...this thread was meant to help topaz stop swearing - not to be an argument on it.
Sheesh, if you have to argue about something, take it to political forums, would ya? Fighting when someone wants help is like the red cross and the salvation army going to war]

I think by discussing what constitutes swearing, they were intending to help--though guys, it did get a bit more heated than I would prefer. Remember that part of a healthy discussion comes from re-examining your own thoughts, instead of writing someone else's opinion off immediately. Secondly, we don't have "political" forums to take anything to, partially because politics aren't allowed and also because this isn't a political conversation. XD At any rate, I see that you guys got back on track, so I'll just ask that we keep it that way. Thanks!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Actually me and Nate agree on a lot... XD BUT there is also a lot we disagree on. Luckly, I'm not one to judge on a person who disagrees with me. He's still an awesome guy. XD I think this thread has practically veered completely off course... >.> some of that is my fault XD Sorry Topaz.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 pm

even though they get of subject, i love your threads topaz, they are so fun to watch
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Actually me and Nate agree on a lot... XD BUT there is also a lot we disagree on. Luckly, I'm not one to judge on a person who disagrees with me. He's still an awesome guy. XD I think this thread has practically veered completely off course... >.> some of that is my fault XD Sorry Topaz.

Quite alright. It wasn't really your fault. That's good to know by the way, we all need someone to bicker or debate with every now and then I should think. xD

even though they get of subject, i love your threads topaz, they are so fun to watch

Thank you! I find it amusing how most of my threads have gotten steered of course for a bit one point or another.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:55 pm

i would really like to create an interesting thread like this but nothing is coming to me
armeck

Postby Furen » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:21 pm

again steering

moving back on focus are there any points that we don't have yet you want discussed/answered?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Furen (post: 1437081) wrote:again steering

moving back on focus are there any points that we don't have yet you want discussed/answered?

Is steering away always so bad though? :lol: Anyway though, nope for the most part I think everything that could be said on the matter has been said so if the mods would like to close this thread now I wouldn't mind in the least.
TopazRaven

Postby Furen » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:28 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1437082) wrote:Is steering away always so bad though? :lol:

I guess not but it should still be in the same line of the topic.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 pm

I think that, as long as we are not tearing people down with our words and are being an encouragement to others to draw closer to Christ, then that is what really matters. Are my words edifying? Are they painting a picture of Christ that will attract people to Him?

Now, I will say that cursing is something that I struggle with --and I slip up over and over. But God knows our hearts --and it is really our intent that matters --whether we intend to drag others down with our words or lift them up.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Previous

Return to General