Problems with cursing, any advice?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Furen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:41 pm

For me, as I don't really swear much they know I dislike it so they don't use it much when I'm around so I'm not embarrassed of them.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ashfire » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:49 pm

I was brought up by my parents to never use cuss words and I have carried that into my adult life. Do they make you inteligent if you use them while telling someone about this or that? I really don't think so. Now I have left it fly if I was really mad about something but that is very rare.
Have cuss words changed as years went by? Censorship kept words under the radar so people only used them when out of sight of others or behind closed doors. Radio days and when movies had sound certain words could not be used. When TV came along censorship was there and then someone complained that they couldn't use words to express their ways to say it their way so movies started using language and movie ratings came about to protect young minds but older people started saying things around younger people and it just spread far and wide.
Now I knew someone that used Have a sucker M*********** as a means to get elected to a postion.
ashfire

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1436126) wrote:She's a very headstrong girl at times, so she might think I'm being silly, but I'll probably ask her to in least tone it done when we're in public, around children especially. No need for little ones to hear talk like that.

I honestly don't care if she curses around just me I guess. I'm not really offended. If that's the way she wants to talk it's her choice after all. I'm really not the type to preach. It's just not me.

Of course, sometimes the best way is just to observe the "rule" yourself and not preach about it. The funny thing about language is that people tend to conform to the language style of people they're with, and it can work in BOTH directions. If you don't curse, she's might tone down anyway (unless there's some anger on her part about your choice).

Just as practical note, saying curses in your head instead of out loud doesn't help if you're actually trying to stop cursing in general. Whenever I did that, I not only found that I would curse more often in my head than I would ever dare to out loud, I also found myself using stronger language. Eventually, if you're like me, you slip out loud with something really awful, right to someone's face. It's better to cut the attitude of cursing out rather than just the words.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Midori » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Often a well-intoned grunt can convey far more emotion than a word.
Midori

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:11 pm

I see everyone's point. It just seems so hard. The words are almost natural now. It's so weird. My biggest worry is that I often end up saying things like "oh my G** or G** **** it, and isn't this taking God's name in vain? It's like I'm breaking one of the ten commandments over and over again! I always try and say I'm sorry after I say or think it, but I don't think that really makes up for it. Thinking it is just as bad as saying it I know. I feel so frustrated because like I said cursing is like a normal part of my vocabulary now.
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 pm

TopazRaven wrote:isn't this taking God's name in vain?

This boils down to a matter of personal preference, but no. No it is not.

Saying God's name is "God" is like saying Obama's name is "President." God is His title, not His name. God has many names, such as Elohim, El Shaddai, Jehovah, YHWH, Jealous, etc.

As to what God's real name is, we may not even know. I'm not sure it really matters. God is God, what use does He have for a name? At any rate, this is why Jews that use the internet will type God as G-d, because to them, typing the word "God" is forbidden and a violation of the commandment.

And now, to copy and paste what Peanut typed on my Livejournal one time:
[quote="Peanut"]In fact, I can say for certain that one of the ten commandments (Do not use the lord's name in vain) is actually a response to a cultural practice at that time of using a god's name to force them to act according to an individual's will, not saying something like "Oh my God." This practice can be seen in 1 Kings 18:26:

"So they took the bull given them and prepared it.
Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. "O Baal, answer us!" they shouted. But there was no response]
As well as the link he posted to the reference:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3259704

EDIT: However, if you feel like you are dishonoring God by using those phrases, then it would be best for you to not use them. As I said, it boils down to do you feel convicted by it? I don't, so I use them and don't really care...they're just phrases, and as I said, "God" is not God's name. But again, if you personally feel that you are dishonoring God by doing that, then don't do it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:37 am

However, if you feel like you are dishonoring God by using those phrases, then it would be best for you to not use them. As I said, it boils down to do you feel convicted by it? I don't, so I use them and don't really care...they're just phrases, and as I said, "God" is not God's name. But again, if you personally feel that you are dishonoring God by doing that, then don't do it.

In a way yes, I do feel like I am dishonoring God. I can't imagine He finds it pleasing when people say G** d*** you and such. After all His name is being used in combination with a curse. However, I have come to the conlusion that this may not be what that commandment ment after all like you said. Did people even use the word d*** back then? I'm pretty sure no one went around saying oh my G** or for the love of G** J**** C***** back then either. This is something of modern socity isn't it?

I do try and use replacement words. For example: Oh my goodness, jeez, shoot, darn, crap, oh snickerdoodles, for the love of potatoes, etc.

Most of the time when I do end up saying G** or something in that way I do aplogize. I don't really mean to use the lord's name in such a careless manner!
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 am

TopazRaven (post: 1436467) wrote: Did people even use the word d*** back then? I'm pretty sure no one went around saying oh my G** or for the love of G** J**** C***** back then either. This is something of modern socity isn't it?
Probaby not, since they had a different form of English back then. So d*** probably wasn't even a word until the 12th or 13th century. However, there has always been swearing. It is not a thing of modern society.
Atria35

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1436467) wrote:Did people even use the word d*** back then? I'm pretty sure no one went around saying oh my G** or for the love of G** J**** C***** back then either. This is something of modern socity isn't it?

Each language has their own set of social structures (and many contain words that are not considered polite, etc). If by "back then" you mean biblical times, then the answer is probably no. Likely they would have used a different word in Hebrew, Greek, etc.

Given that it appears you're feeling convicted, I think the consensus on the board will be "Do what you feel God is telling you."
Mithrandir

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Ok, thanks for all the info and support everyone. I shall try my best. :)
TopazRaven

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:53 am

Also, if a habitual problem persists, vigorously apply soap. Perferrably of the non-toxic kind.
Whereas I don't "swear" per say, I have fallen into the habit of having to verbally express emmotional stress, which can lead to issues, so I think it all boils down to a personal discipline excercise. But as you've said, you'll do your best. And Overcoming is a symptom of the Christian life. XP

[imho]*ahem* on a small side note:
the conlusion that this may not be what that commandment ment after all like you said.
I have personally found that commandment most easily understood the way it was written, (translated to moddernish) "Don't treat God's Name as if it means nothing." At it's barest of bones it is a simple safegaurd against becoming irreverant towards God.[/imho]
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:02 am

It's perfectly fine to verbally express emotional stress. Nobody sane would fault you for occasionally saying "Aaargh! This pile of paperwork (or whatever) is driving me nuts!" We're more concerned with doing so in a manner that won't damage personal or business relationships than with suppressing expression altogether.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:03 am

[imho]*ahem* on a small side note: I have personally found that commandment most easily understood the way it was written, (translated to moddernish) "Don't treat God's Name as if it means nothing." At it's barest of bones it is a simple safegaurd against becoming irreverant towards God.[/imho]

:bang: Does it help at all that I apologize after I say it? I am trying, really. Hopefully with prayer and time I'll get this under control!
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Rusty Claymore wrote:I have personally found that commandment most easily understood the way it was written, (translated to moddernish) "Don't treat God's Name as if it means nothing."

That's not the way it was written though.

Translations are, after all, translations, and can't carry the same meaning as the original text sometimes. Look at all the verses about love in the Bible. To the Greeks, they had four different words for "love." In English, we just have "love." So a verse talking about love in Greek would use whichever word was appropriate, whereas in English we'd just translate all four as plain ol' "love."

As such, there's many ways to translate that commandment. One is "Do not swear falsely by the name of the LORD." Obviously, the phrase "oh my God" would not qualify as swearing falsely (unless He isn't your God :p). Another way is "You shall not misuse the name of Yahweh your God." Still another is "Do not take the name of the Lord in vain." All three of these translations have different meanings behind them, but all three are valid translations.

So again, I posted what Peanut said about people invoking the names of gods to force the god to fulfill a request or perform an action. Saying "oh my God" would clearly not be trying to force God to perform any action whatsoever. Other interpretations are that God did not want His name used falsely as a statement of truth (basically something along the lines of "I swear to God" in English). This is backed up by verses in Samuel for example that say "As surely as the LORD who rescues Israel lives. . ." It's a bit different than the verse that says "Do not bear false witness" because this one would be about misusing God's name. Basically, that interpretation says God didn't want someone to say "As surely as God lives" and then tell a lie. That would be swearing falsely on God's name.

And what does Judaism say? Well, the Hebrew there (Lo tissa) apparently means "you shall not carry" rather than "you shall not take." To them, they think that saying God's name at ANY time is misuse of God's name. This is why some Jews who use the internet, again, will type "G-d" instead of "God." They think that typing "God" is misusing the name of God since it is being casually mentioned. This is also why saying the name of God was considered blasphemy, and you would be stoned to death if you ever said "Jehovah." Jews will refer to God as "Adonai" or "HaShem."

So again, while it's nice to say "Take this commandment at face value!" the problem is that quite simply, it's more complicated than that.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:03 pm

But I thought "God" was not God's name. >.>; And if God's names have been written down in the Bible then...ah, let's just not even go there.

Also, to me, "misusing the name of God" would mean using the name of God and/or Jesus Christ to justify doing things that are against His will. Y'know, kinda like Westboro Baptist Church...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:44 pm

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1437014)"]But I thought "God" was not God's name. >.>]

I'm behind on the times. What did Westboro Baptist Chruch do? 0.o
TopazRaven

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:12 pm

favorite christian apologetics site wrote:Even though there are some people who may attempt to differentiate the meaning of the two words, cuss and curse, there really is no difference. In it's most basic form, it is the verbal expression of a wish that a person, place, or thing, might suffer some evil, loss or harm. And although it is true that in modern times cursing has come to be used as an expression of disdain, vulgarity, or frustration, it is still typically a form of cursing. Disdain is a form of evil contempt, and vulgarity is a verbal offense. And shortening curses does not change the principle. For example, if someone were to shorten the phrase "God **** it," to simply saying, "**** it," or even "****," that does not change it's basic meaning. **** is a curse word, so that when we utter this word in frustration, we are pronouncing a curse on whatever or whomever we are frustrated with. And whether we say "**** you," or we merely day "****," we are still cursing. Whether we say, "go to hell," or simply say "Oh hell," again, we are pronouncing a curse, and are thus cussing. There really is no difference between the two words. And using any other number of these words in a profane or unsavory way falls into this category of cursing.

But the objection remains, "how is cussing sin?" Well, because cursing, or pronouncing evil upon someone or something is "usually" sin. And in the context of the worldly cursing today, it is almost always sin. And a simple examination of the filthy meanings of these words will illustrate this. They are usually words (besides a curse) denoting filth, excrement, animals, sexual innuendo, or are otherwise insulting in some way. When people use these cuss words, they invariably do it to be profane (sin), as a vulgarity (sin), in a vain attempt to gain favor (sin), to placate those giving peer pressure (sin), to express a curse on someone (sin), or in some other negative connotation. What God glorifying way are cuss words used? They are often spoken in a bellicose or pugnacious manner, and this is not what should be coming out of the mouths of Christians. When is cussing ever done in a positive light? These facts in themselves should be proof enough for earnest Christians that this is not good, and that they abstain from this practice.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
21 But examine everything carefully]

And the fact is, a cussing Christian will make the unsaved stand up and take notice "because" they know that it is improper for someone taking the name of Christ to do this. Thus, we also give no appearance of evil, or cause for Christ to be spoken evil of.

And this is not a phenomenon unique to any one place, cussing is a universal activity, so that in every nation and in every tongue, there are cuss/curse words. Whether they are pronouncements of deviant sex, damnation, affliction, or when one is likened unto animals, the words are almost always of a negative or filthy nature. And in any language cussing is offensive to some people, and so should not be something that a Christian should engage in.

We as Christians are not meant to offend others by profane language. If they are offended by the truth then oh well. I shouldn't be obligated when they're hurt by the truth. BUT if they are offended my your manner of speaking with words that usually mean very vulger things... then how are we showing them the love of Christ?

Romans 8:14
[I]"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

Being led of the Spirit is the key phrase. And frankly, I believe that the Spirit leads all Christians so that they will know what is acceptable speech, and what is worldly and unacceptable communication for Christians. But the mouth of the stubborn speaks forwardly, because he doesn't have this Spirit, and there is no fear of God, giving wisdom to be reverent.

Proverbs 10:31-31
"The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out.
The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness."

Filthy conversation is not a mystery, for what is acceptable for the child of God is known of him. For the truth is that it is the words that proceed from our mouths that reflect the spiritual condition of our hearts. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. So that whatever comes out of the mouth, comes from the heart. And the heart of man is desperately wicked.

We know this, and we know what is acceptable language, and what is unchristian and unacceptable language. And often, so does the unsaved, who are often caught off guard by such inappropriate language coming out of the mouths of professing Christians

The bible also says that if we cannot control our tongues then we cannot control ANYTHING about ourselfs

If we are engaging in cussing, swearing, sexual innuendo, or any vulgar or filthy communication, then we should really take a good look at ourselves in the mirror. Because it is evidence that we need to examine ourselves to see what is the true condition of our hearts. Cussing is the filthy language of the world, and the children of God are in this world, but are not "of" this world. They are those chosen of God at enmity with the way of the world. Therefore the faithful Christian should not be using the same filthy communication, but speak as becometh ambassadors of Christ.

Colossians 3:8
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."

When we are born from above we are vSUPPOSED to abandon the filthy communication of the world. Cursing is sin that doesn't build up others because it is the unholy/unclean language of the world. We are commanded to refrain from using language that is unclean, disgusting and foul. This conversation is often degrading, denigrating and belittling. It proceeds out of the mouth, but it is truly sin from the heart, because it is borne of man's hatred and sinful nature.

Ephesians 4:29-30
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

and that's just to start off! Clearly I beleive that cussing, cursing, etc, is wrong and goes against what God wants us to do.

Think of it this way... would you curse while you're trying to tell someone the love of Christ?

If Jesus was standing right in front of you, would you say "That was F***ing nice of you to die for Me Jesus." ...?
Would you? If you wouldn't say it to JESUS. THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:30 pm

TGJesusfreak (post: 1437024) wrote:They are usually words (besides a curse) denoting filth, excrement, animals, sexual innuendo, or are otherwise insulting in some way.

Wait hold on. So are you saying that if you talk about sex, animals, or poop, then you're doing something wrong?

When people use these cuss words, they invariably do it to be profane (sin), as a vulgarity (sin), in a vain attempt to gain favor (sin), to placate those giving peer pressure (sin), to express a curse on someone (sin), or in some other negative connotation.

I kind of don't understand all of what you're saying here. I don't see how being "profane" or "vulgar" is truly sinful unless you're doing it with malice in your heart.

What God glorifying way are cuss words used? They are often spoken in a bellicose or pugnacious manner, and this is not what should be coming out of the mouths of Christians. When is cussing ever done in a positive light? These facts in themselves should be proof enough for earnest Christians that this is not good, and that they abstain from this practice.

What God-glorifying way is ANY word used? You're not glorifying God if you talk about food or anime or video games are you? Maybe you are, I don't know. What does "glorifying God" really mean anyway?

In the English language, many "cuss words" are merely used as exclamations or an intensifier. Saying "That's ****ing awesome!" is an example of this. It's something you would say if you were really happy or pleased with something, which is a positive use. It's an informal or "vulgar" way to speak, but no malice is intended.

We cannot control what offends others and what does not. Some people might be offended by someone wearing a Jesus shirt. Does that make it a sin?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:36 pm

The bible also says that if we cannot control our tongues then we cannot control ANYTHING about ourselfs

I hate to say this, but I guess I'm doomed to hell then because I don't believe that. Just because I curse doesn't mean I'd go kill or hurt someone or randomly have sex or do anything of that sort. Just because I curse doesn't mean I'm some wild person who can't control anything about myself.

If Jesus was standing right in front of you, would you say "That was F***ing nice of you to die for Me Jesus." ...?

Of course I wouldn't. I don't know anyone who would. People use this argument for premarital sex to. Would you do it if Jesus where standing there watching you? No. Now I ask would you do it if you where a married couple and Jesus was there? I'd hope not. If Jesus is in your house man I think that there are way more important things going on then having sex or cursing.
TopazRaven

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:41 pm

ok but back to the main point Shiroi. what does the F word mean? Think about it. Why would you use that to help modify something? Plus, it's just a VULGER way of saying it anyway! The bible says:

Colossians 3:8
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."

and the synonym for Vulgar is: CRUDE
that is NOT proper speach!

Does it matter if you offend someone or not? NOPE. What matters is if you OFFEND GOD.

Once again I say:

You would never do that! Ever! If you won't say it to God, then don't say it to your fellow man! EVEN IF THEY DON'T CARE IF YOU CUSS!

All I'm saying is think of what Jesus would say if he was standing right there, or you were talking to him. Don't even worry about what I say. Visualize it in your head! Think about it.

topaz wrote:I hate to say this, but I guess I'm doomed to hell then because I don't believe that. Just because I curse doesn't mean I'd go kill or hurt someone or randomly have sex or do anything of that sort. Just because I curse doesn't mean I'm some wild person who can't control anything about myself.
We're all sinners. Even I will cuss. I'm DEFINATLY not beter than anyone else in this. I'm just as much a sinner as everyone. But the fact is, our mouths tell us how much self control we have.

Of course I wouldn't. I don't know anyone who would. People use this argument for premarital sex to. Would you do it if Jesus where standing there watching you? No. Now I ask would you do it if you where a married couple and Jesus was there? I'd hope not. If Jesus is in your house man I think that there are way more important things going on then having sex or cursing.
Well you're missing the point XD. you would do "IT" in front of your best friends either! That's a bit outa context. Our language we speak isn't our private life. There is a DISTINCT difference.

Also, If I seem at all angry. I'm not XD I'mjust very very passionate sometimes. So please no one get offended.
TGJesusfreak

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:44 pm

On the note of what TG is saying here. Jesus would want you to treat others around you like you would treat Him, right? So if you wouldnt cuss in front of Jesus, then why others? Im just saying...
Ella Edric

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Alright, sorry if I overreacted. I felt like I was being yelled at/judged. xD I am trying to stop it for the most part you know. That's the whole point of me asking for advice.
TopazRaven

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:56 pm

yeah sorry. I hope I didn't upset you at all >.>;; I'm not condemning anyone. I would never do that.

I was speaking a bit more to Nate. Not you Topaz. And I'm not condemning Nate either. :) Really I'm not.

*sigh* people tend to take what I say out of context. v_v There must be something wrong with me.

Cussing is a part of life. I'm completely guilty. If cussing makes you go to hell then I'm in trouble. Seriously, I just think that you should speak to others EXACTLY the same way you should speak to God. That is to say, speak with the same kindness and non-crudeness that you would to your God.

And no I don't mean speaking to others with the same reverence as you do. God is.... God.
[SIZE="3"][color="MediumTurquoise"][color="DarkOrange"]EllaEdric's and I's collaberative youtube music channel[/color][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][color="Navy"]TG's (me) youtube channel[/color][/SIZE]

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]"For we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do."[/color] Ephesians 2:10
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Join MOES today!
TGJesusfreak

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:16 pm

TGJesusfreak wrote:And the fact is, a cussing Christian will make the unsaved stand up and take notice "because" they know that it is improper for someone taking the name of Christ to do this.

The same can be said of drinking or smoking too, then. I know people who have said "Oh wait you're a Christian so you can't drink right?" My response was "Pssh no I can drink, just getting drunk is bad." However, there are branches of Christianity that do think drinking alcohol at all, even without getting drunk, is a sin. They then extend that to all Christianity. So they will know that it is "improper" for a Christian to drink.

So that example doesn't really work so well.
We as Christians are not meant to offend others by profane language.

Which is why I don't use it in front of people who are offended by it, as I said.
We know this, and we know what is acceptable language, and what is unchristian and unacceptable language.

Which is why the word "fool" is censored, right? Because Jesus Himself said that anyone calling their brother "fool" is in danger of Hell. So clearly Jesus is saying definitively that that word is unacceptable and unchristian.

Or, as I have been saying so much, "It's more complicated than that."

This comes from James, which is a book that's fairly disputed for many Christians, especially because of the part of James that talks about works being required for salvation (outside the scope of this thread, let's not debate this here) which was rejected by no less than Martin Luther, the father of Protestantism. James is also the book that says "You should be happy when terrible things happen to you!" so yeah...it's a pretty divisive book to be sure.
If you wouldn't say it to JESUS. THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL.

So I can keep using that kind of language? Sweet! I'd use that kind of language in front of Jesus. Why not? As long as I have no malice in my heart and I'm not saying things I shouldn't be (I'm talking along the lines of sexual remarks), I don't see the problem.
What matters is if you OFFEND GOD.

And I don't feel that saying "Dude that's f-ing sweet" is offending God. I think God isn't offended at all. I think He doesn't care if I say that. I think God cares if I say "F you" but then He would care as much if I said "Screw you" or "Forget you." Because all of those are the same as far as God is concerned, since I'm being hateful. It's not the word, but the intent.
You would never do that! Ever!

Don't tell me what I would and wouldn't do because I think you'll find you'd be wrong most of the time. I think I know me better than you know me.
Seriously, I just think that you should speak to others EXACTLY the same way you should speak to God. That is to say, speak with the same kindness and non-crudeness that you would to your God.

I sometimes use that kind of language even when I'm praying. I use it not with malice most of the time, but exasperation. Frustration. Confusion. I will tell God "I don't know what the f to do" much of the time. I'm not saying that out of hatred to God, but because I'm lost. I'm hurt. It's a way of expressing how deep my emotion is.

People say those who swear have a poor vocabulary. I disagree. I think people who swear CONSTANTLY have a poor vocabulary. Part of the key is to know when to use those words. And saying a phrase like that, is more descriptive than anything else I can think of. It is the best way I can think to express my emotions. Of course God knows what my emotions are. He knows everything. I'm just being honest with my emotions, and being who I am to God. I don't think God is offended by this at all.

If you feel differently, that's cool. Do how you feel. But when you get into these things about "God CLEARLY says to do this and hates it when you do" you're getting into the level of "God hates magic so a real Christian would NEVER read or watch Harry Potter and if you do you're just lying to yourself." Not trying to start that debate either but I'm saying, when you try and push your interpretations on others, it doesn't end well for anyone. Then it turns into an argument and anger sets in.

Nate

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Nate (post: 1437038) wrote:The same can be said of drinking or smoking too, then. I know people who have said "Oh wait you're a Christian so you can't drink right?" My response was "Pssh no I can drink, just getting drunk is bad." However, there are branches of Christianity that do think drinking alcohol at all, even without getting drunk, is a sin. They then extend that to all Christianity. So they will know that it is "improper" for a Christian to drink.

So that example doesn't really work so well.

Which is why I don't use it in front of people who are offended by it, as I said.

Which is why the word "fool" is censored, right? Because Jesus Himself said that anyone calling their brother "fool" is in danger of Hell. So clearly Jesus is saying definitively that that word is unacceptable and unchristian.

Or, as I have been saying so much, "It's more complicated than that."

This comes from James, which is a book that's fairly disputed for many Christians, especially because of the part of James that talks about works being required for salvation (outside the scope of this thread, let's not debate this here) which was rejected by no less than Martin Luther, the father of Protestantism. James is also the book that says "You should be happy when terrible things happen to you!" so yeah...it's a pretty divisive book to be sure.

So I can keep using that kind of language? Sweet! I'd use that kind of language in front of Jesus. Why not? As long as I have no malice in my heart and I'm not saying things I shouldn't be (I'm talking along the lines of sexual remarks), I don't see the problem.

And I don't feel that saying "Dude that's f-ing sweet" is offending God. I think God isn't offended at all. I think He doesn't care if I say that. I think God cares if I say "F you" but then He would care as much if I said "Screw you" or "Forget you." Because all of those are the same as far as God is concerned, since I'm being hateful. It's not the word, but the intent.

Don't tell me what I would and wouldn't do because I think you'll find you'd be wrong most of the time. I think I know me better than you know me.

I sometimes use that kind of language even when I'm praying. I use it not with malice most of the time, but exasperation. Frustration. Confusion. I will tell God "I don't know what the f to do" much of the time. I'm not saying that out of hatred to God, but because I'm lost. I'm hurt. It's a way of expressing how deep my emotion is.

People say those who swear have a poor vocabulary. I disagree. I think people who swear CONSTANTLY have a poor vocabulary. Part of the key is to know when to use those words. And saying a phrase like that, is more descriptive than anything else I can think of. It is the best way I can think to express my emotions. Of course God knows what my emotions are. He knows everything. I'm just being honest with my emotions, and being who I am to God. I don't think God is offended by this at all.

If you feel differently, that's cool. Do how you feel. But when you get into these things about "God CLEARLY says to do this and hates it when you do" you're getting into the level of "God hates magic so a real Christian would NEVER read or watch Harry Potter and if you do you're just lying to yourself." Not trying to start that debate either but I'm saying, when you try and push your interpretations on others, it doesn't end well for anyone. Then it turns into an argument and anger sets in.

Once again Nate, you and I have a gentleman's disagreement. I disagree with almost everything you said. But I've stated my opinion and there is NO point in doing the run around XD. You know what I beleive and I could post walls and walls of text. But is there a point? Nope. Nate has his own opinion, I will respect it and not waste his time with walls of text that he'd probably rather not have to read anyway! XDDD

I think that the bible is the inspired word of God. So if you beleive that God used people to put together the perfect word of God, then James should still be beleived. But, like you said. we're not gonna debate that here.

I wont argue with you Nate. I'd rather not have to fight. I'm fairly sure that neither of us would budge on this anyway. It's fine. I agree to disagree buddy. It's fine, no hard feelings and all that XD
TGJesusfreak

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:45 pm

[quote="TGJesusfreak (post: 1437033)"]yeah sorry. I hope I didn't upset you at all >.>]

It did upset me at first, but I am very VERY sensitive and I misunderstood you. As I've mentioned before, I have a temper problem, I'm easy to anger. So don't feel bad, there isn't anything wrong with you.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:16 pm

do tg and nate agree on ANYTHING?
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Lol, I don't think so. xD Not yet in least.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm

except on the subject of megatokyo, i agree with nate more than tg. but is has been pretty interesting watching them argue XD or "debate" or "discuss" or however they would like to put it
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:28 pm

I haven't been here long enough, I've only seen two disagreements so far I think. For the most part. xD
TopazRaven

Previous Next

Return to General