Veterans in family?

Talk about anything in here.

Veterans in family?

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:24 pm

With Veteran's Day coming up, I was curious to know how many of you have any relatives (both alive and deceased) who served in any wars. I know my Uncle Karl served in Nam, and I think his father served in WWII.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby A88mph » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm

My grandfather was in the Navy in WWII. He was in the Pacific Theater against Japan. He also joined the Marines after WWII and meet my Grandmother there. He then went on to fight in Korea.

I have other ancestors that served, but not sure what they were in, or what wars.

I also now have a cosin serving the army as a medic.
A88mph

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Lessee.... I have a grandpa who almost served in WW2, but got his orders too late- his battalion had already shipped out! We take it as a blessing since his fellow soldiers were almost all eradicated at one of the bigger battles. I have to ask which one it was again, but in that single battle they nearly all died.

I also have an uncle that was in the Navy during 'Nam, I think.
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I think I had a great uncle who was in Vietnam, then went crazy. I...I think he's dead.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:00 pm

I have someone in my family who's a veteran. Someone very close to me. Someone I care about deeply, someone who I could not live without if they died.

That someone is me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hiryu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:08 pm

My grandfather on my father's side stormed the beaches of Normandy. My maternal grandfather was also a vet of WWII. I've had family in the Civil War too.
Hiryu

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 pm

My grandfather was a mechanic (I think) on an island in the Pacific during WWII, and would have fought if the war hadn't ended when it did.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Furen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:38 pm

My great-grandfather (died a few years ago of old age)
Side-note: in Canada it's Remembrance day
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Furen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Nate (post: 1436377) wrote:I have someone in my family who's a veteran. Someone very close to me. Someone I care about deeply, someone who I could not live without if they died.

That someone is me.

you know, I'm never sure if you are for real or if you are joking so I am inclined to ask:
Are you for serious?

[SIZE="1"](BTW sorry for the double post)[/SIZE]
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Yes, I'm serious, I was in the Navy for six years.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 pm

My grandfather was in the US Navy in the last days of WW2 and for some years after that (at least 20 years total) - I think he worked with some sort of coded communications, he was around for Operation Ivy (the first hydrogen bomb test), and then ended up meeting my grandmother when she was working in the Pentagon. I've also got a friend of mine who's in the Marines right now - he's deployed in Okinawa, IIRC.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby CrystalChalice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 am

My grandfather was a captain of the Philippine Army.
My uncle joined the US Navy.
My other uncle is in the US Air Force.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Peanut » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:07 am

My late grandfather fought in World War II in the Pacific theater and I probably wouldn't be around today if it wasn't for foot fungus and the atomic bomb. I have a cousin whose currently in the army and if I trace my lineage back far enough, I'm related to someone who fought in the Civil War for the Confederacy.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:49 am

My Grandfather served during WWII. Renowned for some of his brave actions against the luftwaffen and SS. He died a few years back.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 am

Does having a great-uncle who worked on the Atomic Bomb count?
Atria35

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 am

My grandpa on my mom's side was in the Filipino Army, and I had a great-grandfather who was a general in the Army.

My uncle is in the Navy and has been for quite some time. I don't know about any wars he's been in, but I remember he was deployed out to the Middle East back some years when a ship was destroyed out in the Gulf of Aden (thankfully not his).

My husband is also in the Navy, little over 4 years, and my brother-in-law also served in the Navy, around the time there was the trouble in Kosovo.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am

[color="Plum"]My grandfather was in the navy and fought in WWII. I forgot where/who he fought. I'll have to ask him.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:28 am

My dad was in the Navy in the 80s, but never saw any action. And a step grandfather of mine served on one of the first Ohio class submarines :D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

I forgot to mention that my dad was in the navy for several years as well. He was even stationed in Antarctica. No lie!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TWWK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:56 pm

My dad served in the U.S. and Army, and was in Saudi during Desert Storm. My grandfather served during WWII and fought in Okinawa. My cousin was aboard the U.S.S. Cole when it was bombed. Lots of veterans in my family...
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Return to General