What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Tamachan319 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:13 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1433488) wrote:Just started reading Circle of Magic book 1: Sandry's Book, by Tamora Pierce. I hope I don't lose focus and wander off like I've done with plenty other books... XD

I add my own warning to Atria and a couple others' warnings. Let's just say it's...um...obvious she's not a Christian. Story-wise, her books are pretty good. So, the moral of the story is (:)) that I recommend reading her books, but with (as my mom would say) your "Bible glasses" on.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:25 pm

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War- and it is goood.
Atria35

Postby armeck » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:03 pm

the bible and .hack
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Tamachan319 (post: 1434033) wrote:I add my own warning to Atria and a couple others' warnings. Let's just say it's...um...obvious she's not a Christian. Story-wise, her books are pretty good. So, the moral of the story is (:)) that I recommend reading her books, but with (as my mom would say) your "Bible glasses" on.

Again, thanks for the head's up, but I think I'll be fine. :)

^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Awright, so today I finished 3 books!
World War Z; An Oral History of the Zombie War- an amazing book that treats the whole zombie-invation thing quite seriously. From the perspective of several people from across the war, you see how it's initailly taken to be a serious infection, how people would react with disbelief to what it does, how it would spread quite easily, like Hep and AIDS did before screening for those caught on, and how countries would realistically fight them off. Full of human drama and a great look at something normally taken as utterly rediculous, this was excelent. And it's on my Xmas wishlist.

Ship Breaker- another post-apocalyptic book, this one about a boy working as someone who helps strip old oil tankers of the valuable metal, living on the edges of society in America. Also an excelent read, with a good take on what would happen if Global Warming got serious, with lots of adventure and action.

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret- okay, I really don't know what all the fuss over this book is about. I mean, it's scarily close to my pre-teen years. So she doesn't find religion in the end? So what? With those sorts of grandparents, I wouldn't want to be forced into any religion either (which is essentially what they were doing). They were using her search for it for.. a lot of reasons. And to have to deal with that, plus the confusion and hormones that Teenagedom brings, it's a blessing that she was talking to God at all. And that's a start. I mean, at least she was honestly looking for Him.
Atria35

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm reading The Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riorkan
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Nami » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:13 am

CrystalChalice (post: 1434317) wrote:I'm reading The Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riorkan

You. Are. Awesome. :hug:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame By Victor Hugo - I've seen the movie by Disney, and I really wanted to get DEEP into this story, I really love it. I love the characters and the personality, I can honestly say that they don't write books like this anymore!
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 am

Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command, also known as The Thrawn Trilogy, by Timothy Zahn. - So lately I've been craving Star Wars, so once I finished The Fires of Heaven, I decided it would be cool to get back into Star Wars, and where better to rejoin the EU but with the series that really kicked it off.

Zahn is definitely a great writer. His books have good pacing, they introduce some of the most beloved characters in the EU(Mara Jade, Thrawn, Talon Kardde, Pelleon), and makes great stories that match the spirit of the original trilogy. It was really refreshing after reading Jordan to have a book with a good plot in 300-450 pages. DFR petered out a little but The Last Command more than made up for it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 am

A Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Edward » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 pm

I am currently reading the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I've barely begun the first book and I already love it!
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm going to be reading the Mortal Instruments trilogy- I have the first two books, City of Bones and City of Ashes out from the library.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:04 pm

CrystalChalice (post: 1434317) wrote:I'm reading The Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riorkan

8O I want to get my hands on that!! How good is it?!

FllMtl Novelist

Postby ich1990 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 am

“The Atlantis Complex” by Eoin Colfer

Much, much better than the abysmal “The Time Paradox”, but not nearly as good as the rest. Improvement is improvement, though, so I remain hopeful.

I do miss the cool hero-with-sketchy-methods Artemis of old, though. Somehow, him running around trying to stop global warming isn't as awesome as him ripping off Russian mafia and the like. 7/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby TWWK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:21 am

Silence by Shunsaku Endo - my first non-fiction book in ages! I've only read the introduction to it, and I'm really excited to read it!
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:19 am

TWWK (post: 1434775) wrote:Silence by Shunsaku Endo - my first non-fiction book in ages! I've only read the introduction to it, and I'm really excited to read it!

Silence is an excellent book but its very disturbing and very disturbing. I'm very sad that Martin Scorcese never made a movie of this book as he planned.

And, its not non-fiction but fiction. Though it is certainly based on real characters and inspired by real events, the main character is very much fictional.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 am

reading Lies by Michael Grant, book three in the Gone series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 am

TWWK (post: 1434775) wrote:Silence by Shunsaku Endo - my first non-fiction book in ages! I've only read the introduction to it, and I'm really excited to read it!
One of the finest I have ever read. I didn't care for it that much the first time through, but the second time affirmed its value tenfold. If you like it, you should definitely also check out "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene. Both are disturbing religious novels that will haunt you the rest of your life, suck the joy out of your soul, offer you no peace or easy answers, and maybe, just maybe, give you a glimpse of God that you would never have seen otherwise. Happy reading.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

finished. Now re-reading A Crown of Swords, book 7 in the Wheel of Time. And I just saw the new book in the series yesterday in the library and guess what? I didn't pick it up because I was busy with another book. Now I go to turn in Lies and--wouldn't you know it--someone beat me to it!:hits_self
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Finished the aforementioned Sandry's Book. Started Tris's Book. ^^

FllMtl Novelist

Postby TWWK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1434789) wrote:Silence is an excellent book but its very disturbing and very disturbing. I'm very sad that Martin Scorcese never made a movie of this book as he planned.

And, its not non-fiction but fiction. Though it is certainly based on real characters and inspired by real events, the main character is very much fictional.

Yeah, I meant fiction, hehe. I've been reading almost entirely non-fiction for ages now, until this novel.

I had heard, though, that this might be Scorsese's next film? I'm only about 20% through, but it certainly looks like it would excellent film material in a strong director's hands.

ich1990 (post: 1435025) wrote:One of the finest I have ever read. I didn't care for it that much the first time through, but the second time affirmed its value tenfold. If you like it, you should definitely also check out "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene. Both are disturbing religious novels that will haunt you the rest of your life, suck the joy out of your soul, offer you no peace or easy answers, and maybe, just maybe, give you a glimpse of God that you would never have seen otherwise. Happy reading.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it.

The foreword mentioned Greene as a comparison - I've never read any of his works. I'll let you know what I think of it...in fact, I'm sure I'll blog about it. It's already an experience...and basically, nothing has yet happened in the story.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:33 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1434660) wrote:8O I want to get my hands on that!! How good is it?!

The book is really awesome, too bad we have to wait until next year for the second one. :waah!:
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 pm

CrystalChalice (post: 1435639) wrote:The book is really awesome, too bad we have to wait until next year for the second one. :waah!:

I am so glad. I'll have to ask my library about it, now that I know it's good... :)
Thanks for telling me. ^^

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 am

I don't know why I'm so fascinated with post-apocalyptia at this point, but I am.

I just finished The Windup Girl, which takes place when gene hacking and manipulation have created terrors of biological diseases and plagues, and in turn people are racing to create new species of plants that are resistant to them. There are mutant plants, animals, and even... people. While this takes place in Thailand, there are other countries and complex politics that are shaping that small country. A Windup Girl, a genetically enhanced human who is resistant to many of the illnesses and diseases that run through this world, has been abandoned in it and must fight for her survival. And though she was created sterile, could she become mankind's hope for survival?

On to The Well of Ascention!
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:33 am

Just finished A Slobbering Love Affair by Bernard Goldberg. Now reading Outcast, the third book in the third Warriors arc.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nami » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am

Wayfarer by R.J. Anderson Good book, about faeries and its not DARK and stuff like most >>
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Edward » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, book two in the Mistborn trilogy.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:57 am

Finished Well of Ascention- WOw. She really had an Idiot Ball moment in this. [spoiler]Okay, the madman had told her that Cett was the one who had sent the Allomancer assasins, not the other invading king. So when she finds out that Cett doesn't have any Allomancers, and there aren't and in the main city, who's left with Allomancers? DUH![/spoiler]

I also read Under the Banner of Heaven, a look at a murder under the context of radical Mormonism, and also looked at the history of Mormonism and Fundamentalist Mormonism. Interesting stuff.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Starting Towers of Midnight, book 13 in the Wheel of Time series.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:37 pm

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1434766)"][B]“The Atlantis Complexâ€
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:38 am

MomentOfInertia (post: 1436611) wrote:Also read Assassin's Apprentice after someone on here said it was good, (I forget who it was) they were right and I'm going to get the sequel this week from the library.

Could it have been me? :grin: I'm nearing the end of Assassin's Apprentice, and I love it so much! It's been so long since I've read a fantasy book where there was nothing in it that made me yawn or wish it wasn't there (my brother tells me there might be some later on, though). It's also made me cry twice, which is more than I can say for any other fantasy book for a loooooooong time!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner