Is this redundant?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Dante » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Grills have a nice fresh flavor to them that stove-top cooking lacks. Grilling it somehow gives it a different taste. Thus, if you just call it a restaurant, you might expect the chicken to be baked en mass in an oven or microwaved from the night before... name it a grill and you suddenly up the price by four bucks and demand they stick that chick on an open metal disk so it sizzles for you fresh on the plate. At least... that's what I expect when I think grill, albeit it may be redundant.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1433792) wrote:I doubt there are many people who would put a grill in their kitchen...

Actually, my mother has a grill built-in to her stove. Really.
Nate (post: 1433856) wrote:Who wouldn't associate a grill with a restaurant?

Well, if I saw a restaurant called "Italian grill", I'd probably assume they only (or mostly) served grilled stuff. Likewise, if I saw a sign for an "Italian Restaurant", I (despite my mother's kitchen) would not assume they served grilled food.

Obviously, a grill would be in a restaurant. But a restaurant doesn't necessarily have a grill.

Of course, I haven't eaten out anywhere besides Burger King in years, so I don't have tons of experience in this. o_o
Yuki-Anne (post: 1433859) wrote:notalwaysright.com .

People are that dumb. "Yes, I can see that it's a grill... BUT IS IT A RESTAURANT?!"

Oh heaven help us all. Not that site!!!! @_@
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1433859) wrote:notalwaysright.com .

People are that dumb. "Yes, I can see that it's a grill... BUT IS IT A RESTAURANT?!"

Yuki, I adore you.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 pm

I'd like to say that today, I went out to eat with the family. Near the place we were eating, there's a place called "Mexico Viejo Grill." That's it. Just "grill."

How many people do you think look at that place and go "Well it just says it's a grill so that clearly means it doesn't have tacos or burritos!"

Probably none. And even if there were, those people would be too stupid to be able to operate a motor vehicle in the first place, so they were probably only seeing it because their much more intelligent relative or friend was driving.

Thus, this is iron-clad proof that I win and am right. As always.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Seriously Nate, do you think by telling us here it'll change the sign?

well what about those signs on the road:
SLOW
school crossing

I really doubt that the school is that slow...

redundancy will continue on so I don't think you need make a big fuss on it.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Yeah, well...your FACE is redundant!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby goldenspines » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Nate (post: 1433967) wrote: Thus, this is iron-clad proof that I win and am right. As always.

Indeed. :3

/thread~
goldenspines

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Not to make this political, but in my state's elections, instead of having to say which party a candidate is a member of, they state a "party preference." So some Republicans, thinking they're clever, put down "Prefers G.O.P Party," hoping some not-too-bright non-Republicans will go "Derp, GOP isn't Republican! Guess I'll vote for them!"

Unfortunately, it means that said candidates prefer the Grand Old Party Party. And that really is redundant.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Honestly, I wasn't aware that it mattered at all. Here I've gone 29 years thinking life isn't nearly as complicated as some people think, and now . . . apparently the balance of the universe is hinged on something I had thought was so trivial . . . gosh, I just don't know what to believe anymore.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sammy Boy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:33 am

I think "Italian grill" sounds kinda funny, so putting the word "restaurant" in there helps. I think then perhaps they added the word "grill" in there to let customers know the type of cooking they also do (since I think it's most likely the restaurant does non-grilled food as well, such as salads).

I think the people who made the name are not being redundant on purpose, because they didn't come up with names such as "Italian restaurant, grill, and drinks". :)
Sammy Boy

Postby ABlipinTime » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:06 am

Nate (post: 1433856) wrote:Who wouldn't associate a grill with a restaurant? You're telling me if you saw a sign for The Macaroni Grill (which Mary already mentioned) you would go "Well, it doesn't say it's a restaurant, so I'll assume you can't eat there!" I guess you can't eat at Waffle House either, or International House of Pancakes...after all, they're clearly just people's houses, not places to eat.

This is why it's stupid to have both the words grill AND restaurant. I mean people in the US are incredibly dumb, but I'd like to think they're not so dumb that they'd see a place called an Italian restaurant and get upset because it doesn't specifically mention grills. Or see a sign for an Italian grill and assume that there isn't a regular restaurant.

And if people ARE that stupid, well, why would you want them eating at your restaurant anyway? They're probably so stupid they'd drive the car into your freaking wall, or forget to pay, or die from falling over onto the table because they FORGOT HOW TO BREATHE.

Yeah, let's move this thing to "Goof Off".

First, Nate, you're getting us to argue over something completely subject to personal opinion (that is, you think it's dumb, I don't, we're even).

Second, (now I go back to opinion, lol) you overlooked the meaning in my statement. Basically, if you say "Grill" people think ONLY grilled food, as distinct from other kinds of foods. If you say "Restaurant", people typically think of foods that are NOT cooked on the grill. Get the idea?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:46 pm

ABlipinTime wrote:Basically, if you say "Grill" people think ONLY grilled food, as distinct from other kinds of foods.

So then you haven't answered the question about The Macaroni Grill. What do they serve? Hmm?

Also, you must have missed my last post, where I mentioned the Mexico Viejo Grill. Do you think they serve tacos and burritos at the Mexico Viejo Grill?

That's proof positive that people don't just think of grilled food when they see "Grill."

Nate

Postby QtheQreater » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Is it redundant? Yep. "This place makes Italian food and, er, Italian grilled food..."

Would it be necessary to include "and Grill" in some cases? Well, I just had a very stereotyped vision involving some kinds of Texan...

Wife: "Honey, I really want to eat Italian. There's a really nice Italian restaurant down by the mall."

Hubby: "Ain't goin' to no snob Italian bistro. I'll starve on that pasta and salad nonsense."

Wife: "Well, it's called the Italian Restaurant and Grill..."

Hubby: "Grill?! Heck, alright, it probably has a bar, too. Let's go."

My own brother probably wouldn't eat at an Italian Restaurant unless he knew that hamburgers would be present. So it's redundant, but it's marketing.

Nate wrote:So then you haven't answered the question about The Macaroni Grill. What do they serve? Hmm?

Salads. ;)

They do have a great marketing scheme with their name, though. The name Macaroni Grill is short, makes people think of meat and pasta, and doesn't sound ethnic. Great for mainstream eateries.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Nate (post: 1434183) wrote:So then you haven't answered the question about The Macaroni Grill. What do they serve? Hmm?

Also, you must have missed my last post, where I mentioned the Mexico Viejo Grill. Do you think they serve tacos and burritos at the Mexico Viejo Grill?

That's proof positive that people don't just think of grilled food when they see "Grill."

So Macaroni Grill is the exception.
And no, that's not PROOF that people don't just think of grilled food when they see "grill". It just so happens people associate more with those particular restaurants.

You know what? - Whatever. I've totally been nerd-sniped into this silly conversation.
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:59 pm

ABlipinTime wrote:You know what? - Whatever. I've totally been nerd-sniped into this silly conversation.

JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:05 pm

You know what's redundant?

This thread.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Yeah! And you know what this thread is?

Redundant.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:23 pm

*in strolls Etoh, totally answering something that's probably already been answered anyway*

There is Grill with a big G and grill with a lil G. Lil G grill refers to the actual appliance itself. The merrits of cooking via grill will not be discussed in this post ('cept to say it's delicious). Big G grill refers to a type of restaurant (for example, "Bar and Grill") with implications as to the types of foods that will be served there.

"Italian Grill" probably would have done the trick for diferentiating, but saying "Italian Restaurant and Grill" gives a pretty specific picture. Things you could expect there: Standard Italian Fare, with other more charred meatly things that might have an italian bent to them. These could include burgers, steaks, pork chops, that sort of thing.

Maracroni Grill is known for using the grill as one of it's primary cooking devices. A lot of their meats will be grilled or charred before being thrown into what-ever. Works pretty well, but since their focus is almost purely Italian, the distinction is probably unnecessary. It's just marketing to evoke an image.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:56 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1434691) wrote:You know what's redundant?

This thread.

omg You READ MY MIND and also STOLE MY POST. XDD Seriously I was thinking that exact phrase just as I clicked to read this thread. XD

But seriously guys. Seriouslyyyy.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 pm

You know what other phrase is redundant? "Manual labor". I mean, if it's automated and done by machines or something, you wouldn't call it 'labor', would you?

Also, XD Shiroi and Htom Sirveaux.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby bkilbour » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 pm

...I'm not exactly sure if it's redundant.
Maybe the grill is outside of the restaurant, thus making them separate but adjacent.

This subject would never have bothered me.... but now I've read this thread, and it's gonna be stuck in my head forever.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm

thanks Htom Sirveaux for making me laugh. :D
ABlipinTime

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm

KNOW WHAT THE ANSWER IS?

Language is illogical and is completely arbitrary.

So stop caring.

THE EEEEND.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Ryan wrote:KNOW WHAT THE ANSWER IS?

Language is illogical and is completely arbitrary.

So stop caring.

THE EEEEND.

You're right. We should all start speaking telepathically. Then we'd- oh, wait. That would still be a form of communication, wouldn't it? I guess we're screwed, then.

You know, I've just come back from eating dinner at a restaurant, and it struck me: What if it's a "grille"? There has to be some huge, significant difference between a "grill" and a "grille," otherwise there'd be no extra letter.
Htom Sirveaux

Previous

Return to General