Is this redundant?

Talk about anything in here.

Is this redundant?

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 pm

The other day, I was out driving with my mom, when we passed a place that called itself an "Italian restaurant and grill." I said that was redundant. My mom said it wasn't, because they wanted people to know there was a specific type of cooking device there. I said that was silly, it'd be like if I opened a steakhouse and called it "Nate's steakhouse and oven."

To me, it's redundant. If you just call it an Italian grill, it covers the fact you want people to know there is grilling there, I don't think anyone would look at it and say "Oh wow, an Italian grill! Oh but wait, it doesn't specifically say it's a restaurant, so maybe we can't eat there. Maybe they just sell Italian made grills or something." There's no need to say the word "restaurant" in it specifically. See, I'd just be fine with just "Italian restaurant" but if you feel you HAVE to mention the grill, just say "Italian grill."

Well, what do you think? Is there any logical reason to say both words, and is it redundant as I claim?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:18 pm

I think you have a point. But then, if you only said, "Italian Grill," some people might get the idea that it was only things cooked on a grill, and be like, "Grilled pasta? That's just nasty."
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Okay, so then what's the problem with just "Italian restaurant"?

Nate

Postby ich1990 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Nate (post: 1433691) wrote:Okay, so then what's the problem with just "Italian restaurant"?

They might only sell pasta and not grilled stuff.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Furen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Italian Grilled Restaurant (but then again I guess they could think the restaurant is grilled with Italian spices...)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Hiryu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Many places use "Blank Restaurant and Grill" I don't really find it redundant, because Italian Restaurants don't have a lot of "grilled items" anyway, so the "& grill" lets people know that they serve not only Italian, but Grilled items like Steak and Hamburgers. Or, they could blend the two.
Hiryu

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Restaurant gives the appearance of fine cuisine, I think. Or rather, things like sandwiches, pasta, etc. Whereas Grill sounds like steaks and stuff.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1433690) wrote:I think you have a point. But then, if you only said, "Italian Grill," some people might get the idea that it was only things cooked on a grill, and be like, "Grilled pasta? That's just nasty."
Nate (post: 1433691) wrote:Okay, so then what's the problem with just "Italian restaurant"?
ich1990 (post: 1433698) wrote:They might only sell pasta and not grilled stuff.
This thread is off to a great start.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1433711) wrote:This thread is off to a great start.

:lol: I know, right?
Yuki-Anne

Postby Midori » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Italian Restaurant With Grill.

Problem?
Midori

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:05 am

Grillitaliano Restauranto?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:49 am

Yah, whenever I think Italian, I think of Pastas and Salads and Pizza...but since they have a grill in the name, then I know they also do other things that require grilling...

It's not redundant because most people should know that when we use the word, "grill" it can be more than a noun, it can be an adjective! :D
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 am

Not to mess up all your awesome points here, but there's actually a restaurant here called "The Macaroni Grill". XDD;

That being said, I think the word "grill" is often attached to restaurant names to emphasize (or rather, clarify) their variety. Restaurant names are like little advertisements for the food there. Many places take a different approach to this, but sometimes, they tend to over explain things. 'Cause, I dunno, maybe someone would go to a place just because it had "grill" in the name because they like grilled things? XD; Even if the presence of a grill should be a given, some people just need concrete evidence.

That's my best guess. XD;
goldenspines

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:09 am

Perhaps to avoid confusion, it should be renamed, "Eat Food Here".
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:39 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1433745) wrote:Perhaps to avoid confusion, it should be renamed, "Eat Food Here".
I'm going to open a chain of restaurants across the country.

It's gonna be called Food Place.
Fish and Chips

Postby Okami » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1433745) wrote:Perhaps to avoid confusion, it should be renamed, "Eat Food Here".

*like* Ahaha.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

I have actually eaten at a diner called "EAT."
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 am

There's a diner here in town called The Diner. No joke.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/500467/restaurant/Oklahoma-City/Diner-Norman
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

I've eaten at a place called "Good Stuff". I wanted to open two competitors, one on either side. Call one "Better Stuff", and the other "Mediocre, But Cheaper Stuff".

And, across the street, "Evil Stuff".
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Nate » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:05 am

I can't believe people are defending this! Maybe I should open "Nate's Chinese Restaurant and Pressure Cooker" or "Nate's Burgers and Crock Pot" or "Nate's Mexican Restaurant and Stove."

Nate

Postby Midori » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 am

I heard someone saying that if you're traveling the country and want to eat, never eat at a restaurant called Mom's. Unless the only other place in town is called Eats. Then eat at Mom's.
Midori

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 pm

There's a place down the street from me called Camp Hill Family Restaurant, but the name of it is only on the door. Above it, in huge letters, is "RESTAURANT". So we just call the place Restaurant.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Nate (post: 1433782) wrote:I can't believe people are defending this! Maybe I should open "Nate's Chinese Restaurant and Pressure Cooker" or "Nate's Burgers and Crock Pot" or "Nate's Mexican Restaurant and Stove."

"Restaurant" implies that you have a kitchen with things such as a pressure cooker or crock pot or stove. I doubt there are many people who would put a grill in their kitchen much less associate "grill" with "restaurant". In that sense, it should be clear why people are "defending" the idea. But whatever - there's nothing wrong with redundancy (except that it can get expensive), and that's coming from someone who doesn't usually defend the Department of Redundancy Department.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Hmmm, perhaps, Italian Food and Grill? I dunno, but Italian Restaurant and Grill does have a silly ring to it.. lol
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Ella Edric » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:01 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1433799) wrote:Hmmm, perhaps, Italian Food and Grill? I dunno, but Italian Restaurant and Grill does have a silly ring to it.. lol

Im with Tsuki on this one. lol
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby Lynna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:21 pm

XDDD I can see this Thread heading to goof off in 3, 2, 1...

I think it's a little redundant but then again...Why doesn't the restrant just have an acctuall name, and then put " Italian & Grill" underneath or something? Then it would be Italian AND Grill, so people know it's Italian, and it has a grill, without the whole "resturant" thingy
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby armeck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:07 pm

i think italian grill is best. i don't think someone would thing they sell grills there...
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

I think you should call it, "a place to eat italian themed food, whether it be fresh or grilled." I would totally go there. I also think it'd be cool seeing a restaurant called "Yum."
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Nate » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 pm

ABlipinTime wrote:I doubt there are many people who would put a grill in their kitchen much less associate "grill" with "restaurant".

Who wouldn't associate a grill with a restaurant? You're telling me if you saw a sign for The Macaroni Grill (which Mary already mentioned) you would go "Well, it doesn't say it's a restaurant, so I'll assume you can't eat there!" I guess you can't eat at Waffle House either, or International House of Pancakes...after all, they're clearly just people's houses, not places to eat.

This is why it's stupid to have both the words grill AND restaurant. I mean people in the US are incredibly dumb, but I'd like to think they're not so dumb that they'd see a place called an Italian restaurant and get upset because it doesn't specifically mention grills. Or see a sign for an Italian grill and assume that there isn't a regular restaurant.

And if people ARE that stupid, well, why would you want them eating at your restaurant anyway? They're probably so stupid they'd drive the car into your freaking wall, or forget to pay, or die from falling over onto the table because they FORGOT HOW TO BREATHE.

Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:26 pm

notalwaysright.com .

People are that dumb. "Yes, I can see that it's a grill... BUT IS IT A RESTAURANT?!"
Yuki-Anne

Next

Return to General