Anyone had a root canal?

Talk about anything in here.

Anyone had a root canal?

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 am

I'm freaking out. I need a root canal done, I've never had one done before so I'm really scared. My last experience at the dentists (which was over 10 years ago - think I'd be over it now) was getting a cavity filled with no anesthetic (doc didn't listen that I wasn't numb).

I'm so afraid its going to hurt. I don't even know what a root canal means! (Yes I am a wimp when it comes to the dentist)
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby armeck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:47 am

i had 2 cavities, that the dentist had to drill out, then fill, and i was not numb, and it did not hurt as bad as the root canal, they can numb you, but once they get drilling deep inside it still hurts some, if they do you like me, they will do most the root canal, then put a temp filling in for a certain amount of time, then you will go back in, they do more work, then you get a crown, it will cost you about 1,200$ and over all i think i had my temp fillings for 6-8 months (i was 9 i think so i don't completely remember) and you can't chew on the side of your mouth where you have the temp filling, now, my tooth was pretty bad and it probably wont be as big of a deal with you. the first time the work on your tooth it will probably take 3 hours more or less. i don't completely remember what a root canal is. i do know that they had these inch long pink tooth pick looking things, and they put like 3 of them in my tooth, and put the crown over it lol. ummm at one point that put this pick thing in fire and put it in my tooth (i was numb there so it didn't hurt) but it sure made noise XD don't be afraid to tell them your not numb! because if your not, it will be the worst pain you have ever felt you entire life... yeah i'm sorry i don't have positive things to say but...
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:31 pm

armeckthefirst (post: 1432302) wrote:i had 2 cavities, that the dentist had to drill out, then fill, and i was not numb, and it did not hurt as bad as the root canal, they can numb you, but once they get drilling deep inside it still hurts some, if they do you like me, they will do most the root canal, then put a temp filling in for a certain amount of time, then you will go back in, they do more work, then you get a crown, it will cost you about 1,200$ and over all i think i had my temp fillings for 6-8 months (i was 9 i think so i don't completely remember) and you can't chew on the side of your mouth where you have the temp filling, now, my tooth was pretty bad and it probably wont be as big of a deal with you. the first time the work on your tooth it will probably take 3 hours more or less. i don't completely remember what a root canal is. i do know that they had these inch long pink tooth pick looking things, and they put like 3 of them in my tooth, and put the crown over it lol. ummm at one point that put this pick thing in fire and put it in my tooth (i was numb there so it didn't hurt) but it sure made noise XD don't be afraid to tell them your not numb! because if your not, it will be the worst pain you have ever felt you entire life... yeah i'm sorry i don't have positive things to say but...

Thank you for posting. I actually had the experience where the dentist did full drilling with no anasthetic because he did not listen to me when I said I was numb (hence the not going for 12 years) lol

I have spoken to some people since I posted (including sister who had 4 of them done). She said that as long as they numb me the actual procedure won't take long.

I am fortunate in that the root canal is due to a filling eroding and I'm not in actual pain yet or an infection so I do not think in terms of things, its all that bad. Just the idea freaks me out.

I do appreciate you sharing your experiences though and I'm hoping that overall, it will be okay.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

Kunoichi

Postby armeck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:22 pm

yeah for me the filling eroded, and then the cavity started growing again, and the dentist made a mistake, and started the $1,200 procedure without permission. yeah. lol big ordeal
armeck

Postby Sheenar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:34 pm

I've had a couple of root canals. A root canal is necessary when you have part of your nerve poking out of your tooth bed/center. They plug the hole where your nerve is sticking out so that it won't get damaged or cause further pain.

My temp cap --that I only had for 3 days before I went back in for the crown.

It wasn't a huge deal. They numbed me up pretty good --first with swabs with numbing gel and then with a needle (I felt pressure, but not pain) that numbed up that whole side. I didn't feel a thing during the procedure itself. I had some post-op pain, but only for a few days.

My wisdom teeth surgery was much, much more involved and the recovery was a lot longer. The root canal wasn't that bad.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ich1990 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I have found that going to the dentist can be......

......most unwise.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby armeck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:47 pm

ich1990 (post: 1432356) wrote:I have found that going to the dentist can be......

......most unwise.

:lol:
armeck

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Yeah I had a root canal. It honestly isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, well, so long as the dentist numbs you up good (mine did). The most uncomfortable part is when they pull out the nerve, but once that's done, it's fine.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:48 pm

LOL @ dentist being unwise.

Ty for posting guys. I do have to have my wisdom teeth out and 4 cavities done. I feel a bit wimpish. I can handle spinal taps with no problem but THIS freaks me lol oh well, I have to have it done so I'll deal.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Kunoichi

Postby armeck » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 pm

yeah i made it sound pretty bad but i was 9 so i'm sure if i was older i wouldn't have been as bothered..
armeck

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:49 am

I once had a root canal. Good anasthesia. Good doctor. Hardly felt any pain. I think I took pain killer twice. Relax and make sure you rest afterward. I'm told that milkshakes are good after a root canal, but I think the most painful part of mine was spilling the milkshake on my clothing and floor when I got home.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby armeck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 pm

i didn't relax afterward. lol i went outside and played marbles with my friends. XD
armeck

Postby The Doctor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:03 pm

I've never had a root canal and hope I never do.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Kunoichi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:31 pm

lol @ Jaltus @ the milkshake spill. I got a giggle out of that.

Kunoichi

Return to General