Being Single is Awesome!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1431128) wrote:When my sister got married, her wedding dress was black. With a flame pattern all along the hem at the bottom.

I think grannies object to this sort of thing because they're TOTALLY jealous. XD
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1431128) wrote:When my sister got married, her wedding dress was black. With a flame pattern all along the hem at the bottom.

My great-aunt would have had your sister's guts for garters, but that is so funny. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Your sister is unspeakably awesome. Pic?
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Furen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1431125) wrote:Isn't it ridiculous?

Yes (I assumed this is not rhetorical)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Dubs wrote:Your sister is unspeakably awesome. Pic?

There might be . . . I'll ask my parents if there's still wedding pictures saved in their computer or on a disc somewhere.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Doubleshadow wrote:Disgust (a wife means behaving like that?)

Well, depending on what "that" is, no, it doesn't, though some people would have you believe otherwise.
I disagree and outright hate some things the church tells women that are totally culture driven, and I'll probably get major flack for not conforming to church subculture mores, but hey, I'm answering to Christ, not them.

Now see, that is why you are super great. *nodnod*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:27 pm

I think that you should just let God lead you to that "someone" (if you are intended to have someone) and to not spend time lookin' for 'em.

I do see where you're coming from, but marriage is something that is good to look for. Kinda like a job. You stay in your house praying for a job, yet you never ever send out resumes or fill out applications and then wonder why God hasn't provided you with a job XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Akane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1431206) wrote:I do see where you're coming from, but marriage is something that is good to look for. Kinda like a job. You stay in your house praying for a job, yet you never ever send out resumes or fill out applications and then wonder why God hasn't provided you with a job XD

It appears to me that some people like to put words in other peoples' mouths. I never said to sit 'round in the house and never do anythin'. You go 'bout your life, do things, meet people. God will open doors. You should acknowledge God in all your ways, and He will direct thy path. You don't need to go and try to make somethin' happen. If 'tis meant to happen, and you're seekin' His ways and not your own, 'twill happen.
John 8:32~
Akane

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 pm

I will admit to being utterly and completely blind to other's feelings towards me unless they actually come out and say it. So I really do feel the need to actively look for a boyfriend, because I also feel that the onus should not be soley on the guy to ask a girl out.

Recently, I asked out a guy- I did feel that it was okay with God to do so. Unfortunately, I found out at the end of it that a relationship is probably not going to happen with him. Even so, I have gained a lot of confidence in myself- I've never been asked out, and that has dealt a very harsh blow to my self esteem since I'm in my early 20's. And that's something that I do thank God for.
Atria35

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Akane (post: 1431282) wrote:It appears to me that some people like to put words in other peoples' mouths. I never said to sit 'round in the house and never do anythin'. You go 'bout your life, do things, meet people. God will open doors. You should acknowledge God in all your ways, and He will direct thy path. You don't need to go and try to make somethin' happen. If 'tis meant to happen, and you're seekin' His ways and not your own, 'twill happen.

Heh sorry. I used a bit of an extreme example for my point. You said "don't spend time looking for someone." Looking for someone to spend your life with is a good endeaver is all, though not the end all be all.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Akane (post: 1431282) wrote:You don't need to go and try to make somethin' happen.

I disagree completely.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:10 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:I disagree completely.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Akane (post: 1431282) wrote:It appears to me that some people like to put words in other peoples' mouths. I never said to sit 'round in the house and never do anythin'. You go 'bout your life, do things, meet people. God will open doors. You should acknowledge God in all your ways, and He will direct thy path. You don't need to go and try to make somethin' happen. If 'tis meant to happen, and you're seekin' His ways and not your own, 'twill happen.

Assuming by this you mean that, say, 21- year-olds (or any person for that matter) shouldn't go out on the town alone at night for the only purpose of searching for a girlfriend/boyfriend, then I agree with you completely. That's just silly and dangerous. No person should be that desperate for the opposite gender's companionship to put themselves in danger like that.

On the flip side, while God is and always will be faithful to us, this doesn't mean He's going to serve things on a silver platter for us (as wonderful as this would be at some times). We have to make an effort if we want something. It's kind of like this. You open as many doors as you can in you life and see which door(s) God will lead you through.
Do you have to be reckless in your choices? That is up to each person's own discretion, I think, but one has to understand that a certain amount of risks may have to be taken in every relationship.

Semi off topic, how did I get back in this thread again? I told myself I was not going to post in it again. I blame Nette's dreamy avatar. XD;
goldenspines

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:21 pm

goldenspines (post: 1431307) wrote: Nette's dreamy avatar

Ahahahaha.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:45 pm

What about shy guys? If us more outgoing girls never invite those shy guys to hang out, even if it's not a date, we'll probably never have opportunities to even get to know shy guys, much less date them.

Also, when I talk about shy guys, I definitely mean this poor fellow.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Lynna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1431320) wrote:What about shy guys? If us more outgoing girls never invite those shy guys to hang out, even if it's not a date, we'll probably never have opportunities to even get to know shy guys, much less date them.

Also, when I talk about shy guys, I definitely mean this poor fellow.

Is that....snowman...wearing an old-fashioned RCMP uniform? XD
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Lynna. Dear Lynna. You need to play more Nintendo.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Yuki-Anne wrote:What about shy guys? If us more outgoing girls never invite those shy guys to hang out, even if it's not a date, we'll probably never have opportunities to even get to know shy guys, much less date them.

As a "shy guy" myself, I can tell you that would help tremendously. A woman wouldn't have to take the initiative all the time, I'm fine once I've gotten to know someone, but I'm hardly ever the one to initiate a conversation with a person I'm not so familiar with. And with a pretty girl. forget it. I can smile, I can nod, I can look them in the eye. But my vocal chords just forget how to work.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Yeah, I'm having to figure out how to initiate interactions with shy guys, since I apparently live in A WHOLE CULTURE FULL OF THEM NOW. *sigh*
Yuki-Anne

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:14 pm

See, we give women the right to vote and get jobs and things, and look what happens. Things were so much easier before women's liberation. ;)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1431463) wrote:See, we give women the right to vote and get jobs and things, and look what happens. Things were so much easier before women's liberation.

I-- I don't see how this fits into the context of the current conversation.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:11 pm

1. It was a response to Yuki's comment about "a whole culture full of [shy guys]".
2. It was a joke. I was hoping that that, at least, would be fairly obvious.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby goldenspines » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1431481) wrote:1. It was a response to Yuki's comment about "a culture full of [shy guys]".

An emote would have been nice in that case. ;) Many jokes like the one you posted are in rather poor taste though (since there are people out there that would say your words seriously and not jokingly). Be wary of that.
goldenspines

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:22 pm

goldenspines wrote:Many jokes like the one you posted are in rather poor taste though.

that's precisely why I thought it would have been painfully obvious that it wasn't to be taken seriously. I mean, really. Do yo honestly think anyone here would say that and mean it?

Whatever. Fixed, for the sake of playing nice.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm not a complete moron-- I know it was intended as a joke. And now I'm explaining why I didn't think it was appropriate. But then, I take the issues of women's rights and gender equality VERY seriously, so maybe I'm a little overly sensitive.

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1431481) wrote:1. It was a response to Yuki's comment about "a whole culture full of [shy guys]".

Okay, but by saying that, you are implying that women's rights and male shyness correlate somehow and I just don't see that. If anything, you'd think women's rights would make it easier for less aggressive males, because it is now far more acceptable for women to initiate relationships than it used to be.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:13 pm

I was mostly referring to living in Japan. Japanese guys don't talk to me. They just don't. It makes sense, because I don't look like I should know Japanese. But I have to initiate conversations.
Yuki-Anne

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Akane (post: 1430562) wrote:Two big thumbs up for you! :thumb: :thumb:

And what do I think 'bout bein' single, personally?? I think that you should just let God lead you to that "someone" (if you are intended to have someone) and to not spend time lookin' for 'em. Timin's everythin'. Gods' timin's best. Yep, yep. :) I want to know who I am before I ever get involved with anyone. 'Tis very important to me to know who I am and who God exactly is to me. That is the most important relationship...my relationship with God. All else will fall into place. I have a lot of stuff to work through 'nways and I have friends n' fam n' all that jazz. :) Just goin' with the flow, yo. I choose other kinds of currents to swim 'gainst, but not the relationship stream, lol.

exactly. You just go your direction down the street of life. Don't sit there and wait for somethin to happen though. God isn't like that. You have to walk down that road... though you're doing a blind. lol

Just go where God leads you. He's always with you through all the good and bad times. Same goes for a relationship.

I only disagree with you in that YOU need to get off your butt and do something. God wont give it al to you on a silver platter.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm

OK Nette, clearly I offended you. I'm sorry. Honestly, I am.

Now dig it: Back in the early to mid-twentieth century, the role of males in society was pretty much to call the shots, bring home the paychecks, drink the beer, etc. and the female role was cook, clean, raise the kids, do what hubby says.
Now women have equal rights. The joke here was in exaggerating this to the point where women would be the dominant ones, and men submissive cowards who no longer even have the spine to talk to them.

There's no need to pursue this any further. Like I said, it was only joke to begin with. Though now it isn't even funny anymore. Jokes kinda lose their impact when you have to explain them.

Also, it appears that since Anne meant Japanese society, I was off-base from the start.

Gosh, that makes twice now I've had to apologize to a lady in a thread like this. I'm gonna have to try and keep my dry, irreverent cynical humor on a leash.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Eh, no real harm done. I forgive you. This time. >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Akane » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 pm

TGJesusfreak (post: 1431501) wrote:exactly. You just go your direction down the street of life. Don't sit there and wait for somethin to happen though. God isn't like that. You have to walk down that road... though you're doing a blind. lol

Just go where God leads you. He's always with you through all the good and bad times. Same goes for a relationship.

I only disagree with you in that YOU need to get off your butt and do something. God wont give it al to you on a silver platter.

I take offense that peeps here have told me that I'm sittin' and doin' nothin' and expect somethin' to happen. I thought I already made it clear to go 'bout your life and to lean on GOD'S understandin' and not your own. Sarah didn't trust God to deliver a son to her so she tried to make somethin' happen on her own. She did make somethin' happen, and it still causes friction in the world, if you know what I mean. Even if you think you're doin' a good thing or what you think God wants you to do, you really need to make sure you're not actin' on your own understandin' or wishful thinkin'. Make sure 'tis God that is leadin' you to ask that person out or whatever. And His timin' is best, as I've already said and have now tried to use Abraham and Sarah as an example of bein' impatient and trustin' themselves rather than God.
John 8:32~
Akane

Previous Next

Return to General