What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:05 pm

rocklobster (post: 1429462) wrote:[spoiler]Darwin was a closet racist[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And Lewis Carroll was a pedophile. Everyone was pretty racist back then, though- it's hard to find someone who wasn't![/spoiler]

And man, is it heavy reading. I forgot that this is an academic paper, and one that's over 100 years old, to boot.
Atria35

Postby Icarus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:17 am

Atria35 (post: 1429476) wrote:[spoiler]And Lewis Carroll was a pedophile. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] And a mathematician.[/spoiler]

Just finished Halt's Peril, in the Ranger's Apprentice series. Slightly predictable answer to the question of
[spoiler]white or blue? Poison the killer, he'll tell you.[/spoiler]
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby samurai10 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:35 am

i'm reading "Conrad's Fate" by Diana Wynne Jones.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby rocklobster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Will be starting The Sight, the first book in the third Warrior Cats series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Silent Seraph » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Just started Worldshaker by Richard Harland, its a remotely steam-punk-esque alternative history type fiction, i like it a lot even though the writing is ment for 12-13 yr olds.

Oh and if anyone is looking for a good book to pick up my favorite secular author just published The Black Prism which recently became on of my favorite novels ever. [color="Black"]Warning- well over 600 pages[/color]

Edit: Sorry guys only 650 or so pages...just checked and i jsut posted that as some people don't like to read long books unlike myself.
Life verse. Corinthians 9:27 [color="Cyan"]No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.[/color]

[color="Cyan"]If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
Hei (Darker Than Black)[/color]

God. Family. Athletics.

[color="Cyan"][font="Arial Black"]M.O.E.S.-[/font][/color]Safe from the Scroll

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators and Administrators.
Silent Seraph

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Given the season, I've decided to read The Shining by Stephen King. I read it once before, a long time ago (I was about fourteen, I think. Don't remeber much, but I remember it scared the mess outta me.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Icarus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Silent Seraph (post: 1429731) wrote:Oh and if anyone is looking for a good book to pick up my favorite secular author just published The Black Prism which recently became on of my favorite novels ever. [color="Black"]Warning- well over 800 pages[/color]

I've read bigger.

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before destination.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:57 am

I highly suspect that I'm going to need to renew Darwin due to how time-consuming it is to read him (they read this out loud in a forum of scientists?! How long did it take? 12 DAYS?! One for each chapter?!) so I'm breaking with the short story The Turn of the Screw. Creeeeepy~!
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:52 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1429195) wrote:You and me would be friends IRL XD

:jump:

Tomorrow I'll start reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, which I started reading before but never finished - not because I didn't like it, but because it had to go back to the library and then I had to leave town. But now I own it, so I shall delve into this loverly book now :3
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:00 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1429950) wrote::jump:

Tomorrow I'll start reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, which I started reading before but never finished - not because I didn't like it, but because it had to go back to the library and then I had to leave town. But now I own it, so I shall delve into this loverly book now :3

The Assassin Series by Robin Hobb is one of the best fantasy series' I've read. I hope you enjoy it. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Furen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Chosen (Ted Dekker) first book in the 6 part lost books series.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby rocklobster » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:49 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1429816) wrote:Given the season, I've decided to read The Shining by Stephen King. I read it once before, a long time ago (I was about fourteen, I think. Don't remeber much, but I remember it scared the mess outta me.

Ever see the movie with Jack Nicholson? It was great!
Anyway, now re-reading Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Dellar » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:24 am

I recently finished Gone, by Michael Grant. It landed him in the place of my new favorite author and got me addicted to the series--but I'm having a terrible time finding Hunger and Lies.
Dellar

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:29 am

rocklobster wrote:Ever see the movie with Jack Nicholson? It was great!

Yeah I have (also several years ago), but I hear it's very different from the book.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:49 am

"To Own a Dragon" by Donald Miller
This guy never lets me down!
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Adie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Finished Wuthering Heights; still working on The Count of Monte Cristo.

I also started re-reading A Wrinkle in Time. I loved it when I was younger, and I saw it on sale in a bookstore the other day, so I couldn't pass it up. :P I'm really enjoying it so far.
Adie

Postby Edward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:41 pm

I have just begun reading Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins.
Edward

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Just finished The Beaufort Diaries, it was a really cute bittersweet book. There was a lot of profanity in it but it kinda went with the character development so it was okay. It was just published in September so its kinda hard to get your hands on it yet, but I managed to find it at my library in the new books. :3

Now I'm reading The lone Ranger and Tonto fistfight in Heaven, by Sherman Alexie. Its a really good book if you like short stories. The writer is a Native American so many of the stories are about living on the reservation and such.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Makachop^^128 (post: 1430549) wrote:Now I'm reading The lone Ranger and Tonto fistfight in Heaven, by Sherman Alexie. Its a really good book if you like short stories. The writer is a Native American so many of the stories are about living on the reservation and such.

That book made me laugh and cry, often with the same story. Partly because it seemed to ring with the truth- and I discovered that he used his own experiences did factor into the stories. He's a very gifted writer, and I love that book.
Atria35

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm reading the "Night Angel" trilogy by Brent Weeks and "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first in a trilogy, and the second books comes out soon, I hear. Just started "Night Angel", but "The Name of the Wind" is pretty awesome so far.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Finally, finally finished Origin of the Species and The Descent of Man. Both are..... well, perhaps not good reads- I would hardly suggest them for entertainment - but very informative. I can definitely get behind his evidence and expanations when I've read them through, as there is a lot more evidence and a lot more explanation here about his theory than you will ever get in a classroom. Of course, there is a lot that has been added, and some that has changed due to advanced in DNA technology, which obviously didn't exist in the 1800's- in fact, Mendel's theory wasn't rediscovered until about a decade or two after this was published, which makes it doubly cool that they had picked up on similar things, albeit in different organisms.

Next up: Stephen King's The Stand
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:40 pm

YOu'll be in for a long haul, Atria, or so I've heard.
Started The Sorceror in the North book 5 in Ranger's Apprentice.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:17 am

Double-posting. Now I'm reading A Feast For Crows, the most recent A Song of Ice and Fire book.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby steenajack » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Artemis Fowl book 1!!!!!!! XD! One of the best books I've ever read.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:32 pm

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan.

If you saw my earlier post regarding this, then you'll see that at the beginning I thought this may be Jordan's best. After all, Jordan's weakest parts are usually the beginning(especially the awful four hundred page beginning of The Dragon Reborn) and this was going to be a solid read, living up to The Great Hunt.

Apparently Jordan just wanted to make us think that. After about page 250 we switched to Nynaeve and Elayne, with whom almost nothing happens for hundreds of pages. Jordan can't seem to write about them without telling us about Nynaeve tugging her braid, specifics on the dress they're wearing, how incompetent the men(who have saved them multiple times) are, and long, boring descriptions of characters who we'll never see again and are largely unimportant. Eventually, they're a little important to the plot, but the hundreds of pages it takes do so drag and drag.

Everyone else's plots, however, are pretty great. The Siuan/Leane/Min team don't do a lot, but they also don't take up tons of page time. Morgase is important to the plot, and takes up equally little pagetime. Rand and co.'s story is equally great, and I enjoyed all I read from it. However, I'm still failing to see what relevance Melindhra had to the plot.

So Jordan, it seems, has more of what he's good at doing, and more of the bad. Nynaeve took several levels in annoying, presumably to make up for the lack of time Egwene had, and Rand's "Oh, men are dying all around me but I'm going to obsess over every single woman that dies" gets really old, really fast. Mat remains a good character, and Aviendha is much less annoying in this book. Asmodean was interesting.[spoiler]Moiraine's death scene is one of Jordan's best pieces of writing, and she is redeemed to me.[/spoiler]

All in all, good, but disappointing. If you read this, you should probably skip all the Nynaeve/Elayne chapters and just read a summary, except, maybe, the chapters with Uno in a prominent role. 7/10
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Blacklight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Now that most business is dealt with, I can get back to my reading.
I'm over halfway done with Abarat by Clive Barker, and I got A Series of Unfortunate Events book 1 from the library today. (I read all of the books back whenever, but I decided to reread them to form a more solid opinion on the series, now that I actually understand some things.)
Also, "The Compound" by... I... don't remember who... I picked it up about a week ago, and haven't gotten far into it yet.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby rocklobster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Starting Story of a Soul, the autobiography of St. Thérèse of Lisieux.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:51 am

double-posting. sorry
Now starting Every Soul a Star, by Wendy Mass

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:36 am

I'm reading a book. Yes, really. I'm currently reading Burn by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. It's not bad but it's very slowly-paced for a thriller. I think I prefer Ted Dekker on his own.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 am

I'm currently reading A Canticle for Leibowitz, a very strange science fiction saga by Walter M Miller, Jr. Basically it is set in a post-apocalyptic United States where all human civilization has been destroyed, and the monks of the Leibowitz monastary in Utah try and preserve the remaining pieces of human history, which has deliberately been destroyed. Slowly but surely they begin to forge a new Renaissance. With mixed results.

The book is divided into three parts, each set 100's of years apart. Despite being 'science fiction' there is precious little science fiction in it; the usual post-apocalyptic clichés are not uncovered first hand but only related in tales or references. So if you like your sci-fi with a lot of action then this book is not for you. If you like science fiction of ideas and ambiguity (like me) then this book is a treasure.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner