Irrational Fears

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Gala (post: 1429097) wrote:it is only because i think it's everywhere even when there is none! Sad thing is I love to camp but this fear makes it hard

AH! Then yes, it does become irrational. Ouch! I would hate to have to be scared of camping because of that :(
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Oh, forgot to mention speech. Being in large groups or speaking in front of groups isn't my thing.

Oh, and needles getting jabbed into my skin. I've been to the dentist.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby armeck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm

dogs, heights, people, large groups, small groups of people i don't know, bees, wasps, being outside at night... i think that's it... oh! and owl city quiting suddenly XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Okami (post: 1429069) wrote:I have a great fear of rejection. That as soon as anyone hears my testimony, they are going to pick up and walk away from me, even with knowing the great things God has in store through my testimony. I think it comes from my trying to reach out of my comfort zone in earlier days of schooling, and then having nothing come of it, or being turned away from by other children.

Me too, friend. That and my fear of failure that I mentioned earlier stem from my past and testimony.
But I just try to keep living life anyway --being so concerned about what other people think that I'm afraid to try is no way to live.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Atria35 (post: 1428923) wrote:Loud noises (no, really- I hate these to the point that I have refused to go see fireworks because the noise hurts so bad and makes me afraid)

Darn, I don't think you would like me (My voice is really loud and I have a hard time being quiet...) thank goodness for the internet!
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Thunderstorms always elicit a visceral reaction from me. Not the thunder, which is just a loud noise, but the lightning -- the most pestilent, unholy illumination on this earth. Something about the way it flickers in the darkness always raises my hackles.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Gala » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:14 pm

shooraijin (post: 1429162) wrote:Thunderstorms always elicit a visceral reaction from me. Not the thunder, which is just a loud noise, but the lightning -- the most pestilent, unholy illumination on this earth. Something about the way it flickers in the darkness always raises my hackles.

something that always helped me with that was to think of it as God's fireworks.. kinda corny but it works
Always find time in your day to rejoice for something the Lord has done for you... even if it is just the miracle of getting up every morning.
Gala

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm

That would work only if it were a rational fear. ;)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby airichan623 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Gala (post: 1429167) wrote:something that always helped me with that was to think of it as God's fireworks.. kinda corny but it works

I would always tell my sister (being Tamachan) that it was the angels playing bowling.

For me, I absolutely am deathly afraid of spiders, but mostly daddy-long-legs. those long twitchy legs just creep me out, and it got worse after my school trip last year when a very large one was on my back, and no one would get it off of me. :?: :waah!: This also includes cobwebs.

Recently I've become afraid of tornadoes, but only because i had a dream where a giant tornado came out of a red sky and tore a chasm in the earth that swallowed some of my friends. Dx

Unhappiness- i cant stand it when other people dont smile.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Hitomi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:02 pm

talking on the phone not it being my family, i get sick just thinking about talking on the chat
Hitomi

Postby CrystalChalice » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:18 am

Sometimes when I'm near a window, I get this weird feeling that somewhere, off in the distance, there's a sniper aiming his gun at me. I blame this on watching too much TV.

I'm also afraid of cockroaches and mosquitoes since I was taught to fear these disease carriers at an early age.

I have a fear that some of the people I care for may not have a good opinion on me.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Furen (post: 1429155) wrote:Darn, I don't think you would like me (My voice is really loud and I have a hard time being quiet...) thank goodness for the internet!

Actually, people's voices don't bother me unless they're speaking out of nowhere and startling me (my mom and brother also talk loudly- the former because she's almost deaf and the latter because he learned from her). But if you also went around banging doors while talking, then you'd end up with me holding me ears and crying.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:35 pm

airichan623 (post: 1429177) wrote:I would always tell my sister (being Tamachan) that it was the angels playing bowling.

XD My Mom says that's what people said when she was a kid.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:26 pm

CrystalChalice (post: 1429218) wrote:Sometimes when I'm near a window, I get this weird feeling that somewhere, off in the distance, there's a sniper aiming his gun at me. I blame this on watching too much TV.

I have a similar fear that when my lights are on and it's dark outside and my curtains are open (or it's a window that doesn't have curtains), there are people watching me that I can't see.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 pm

I have an irrational fear of irrationality.

>_< Hmm, reading this thread has me sitting here thinking if I have any irrational fears, and I don't think I do. I have rationalities for all my fears. n.n I remember reading somwhere that people are only born with two fears: The fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. Every other kind of fear must be learned. And therefore, every one of those fears can also be unlearned. Which brough my phobia to mind...

I cannot bear being alone in the dark outside. Could also prolly be referred to as being afriad of being attacked by an unseen assalient. It's pretty cowardly, really... haha. :red:
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Hmmmm irrational fears?

I have a few...

Palmetto bugs, rats. getting a widespread and fatal disease (I think this stemmed from somebody very close to me getting one and dying from it), most childrens' shows these days (Teletubbies, Boohbah, Oobi, etc.), clowns, porcelain dolls, snakes, large spiders, armadillos, and being attacked.... >_>
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Maggots and grubs, caterpillars too. I'm pretty sure maggots are the creepiest thing in the world. I love spiders and don't mind most creepy crawlies, it's just maggots and grubs freak the heck out of me.

This one is more rational, but I fear the idea of getting brain dementia. That would be the worst thing in the world.

Also, I'm not afraid of it per-say, but I hate having my back to doors, especially open ones. Also, the thought of eternity is pretty disturbing to me.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Adie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:28 pm

That Dude wrote:Also, the thought of eternity is pretty disturbing to me.
Me too! Whenever I try to think about eternity or living forever, it makes me feel really anxious. D:

I'm also afraid of my house suddenly catching on fire in the middle of the night.
Adie

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:59 pm

That Dude (post: 1430138) wrote:This one is more rational, but I fear the idea of getting brain dementia. That would be the worst thing in the world.

I not only have a family history of Alzheimer's, but my aunt also got it young. This is a very deep fear of mine.
Atria35

Postby That Dude » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Atria35 (post: 1430463) wrote:I not only have a family history of Alzheimer's, but my aunt also got it young. This is a very deep fear of mine.

I'm really sorry to hear that.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Syreth » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm afraid of climbing a steep slope and falling backwards, and at times, forwards. It's not really a phobia because it doesn't happen every time I go hiking... just every once in awhile.
Syreth

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:35 pm

That Dude (post: 1430138) wrote:Maggots and grubs, caterpillars too. I'm pretty sure maggots are the creepiest thing in the world. I love spiders and don't mind most creepy crawlies, it's just maggots and grubs freak the heck out of me.

One time, I woke up and found maggots hiding out in my toothbrush. I freaked out completely, so I concur... >_> I was so thankful that I saw them before putting the brush in my mouth...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Rewin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:52 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1428856) wrote:An irrational fear (or perhaps a better word is "paranoia") of mine is that sometimes I suspect I unknowingly say things out loud that I think I'm only thinking. When someone else says something along the lines of which I'd just had a thought, I don't know if I should be embarrassed or count it as a bizarre coincidence.

I get that feeling a lot, really bothers me >.<

ich1990 wrote:Public Speaking.

Same here, whenever I had to do an oral report in school I felt like I was going to pass out.

Yuki-Anne wrote:I have a similar fear that when my lights are on and it's dark outside and my curtains are open (or it's a window that doesn't have curtains), there are people watching me that I can't see.

Yep, get that one too.

Lynna wrote:Walking around he house in the dark...when I see red lights glowing on the telephone and stuff, it just makes my imagination go beserk

When I was single I would rarely turn a light on in the house, just walked around in the dark all the time. Now I do it out of habit, drives my wife crazy :dizzy:

The only other "fear" I have is I hate being in a restaraunt and having my back to either the door or middle of the room, I need a wall, preferably a corner. Don't know why, but I do.
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:44 pm

That Dude wrote:This one is more rational, but I fear the idea of getting brain dementia. That would be the worst thing in the world.

Me, too. My paternal grandparents had it, to opposite extremes (Pappy was aggressive, Grandma weak and apathetic). My maternal grandmother (Mama) is just starting to slip. All had/have lived to at least ninety. Papa (maternal grandfather) had the right idea, dying in his eighties of a heart attack. Given the choice, that's exactly how I'd rather go.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Rewin (post: 1431437) wrote:
The only other "fear" I have is I hate being in a restaraunt and having my back to either the door or middle of the room, I need a wall, preferably a corner. Don't know why, but I do.

I have that, except... I suppose it's more a mild discomfort than a fear. I just prefer to be sitting where I can see everybody.

Also, I'm with Htom. I think I'd rather die in my seventies or eighties than live into my 90's or hundreds but lose my mind (or everybody I care about. You know, whichever). I went and hung out with some people at an old folks home a few times, and it was really depressing. There was this one lady who kept talking about how her husband and daughter had both died, and the rest of her family didn't care enough to visit (although she forgot things within five minutes, so even though I heard the story about 15 times, I'm not sure I believed that her family never visited her. I think maybe she just didn't remember). And then she told me to enjoy my youth, because once I got old there would be nothing left to live for. :(

And then this other lady who was over 100 years old kept talking about how she wished she'd chosen to have kids instead of pursuing her career. :(

Oh, and we went and visited this guy who was really influential in our college's history. He was okay, but his roommate kept saying, "I want to die..." :(

So now I'm afraid of getting really old and ending up lonely and despairing.

Umm... yeah, some people don't have depressing experiences hanging out at nursing homes, but... that was pretty despairifying.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1431495) wrote:Also, I'm with Htom. I think I'd rather die in my seventies or eighties than live into my 90's or hundreds but lose my mind (or everybody I care about. You know, whichever). I went and hung out with some people at an old folks home a few times, and it was really depressing. There was this one lady who kept talking about how her husband and daughter had both died, and the rest of her family didn't care enough to visit (although she forgot things within five minutes, so even though I heard the story about 15 times, I'm not sure I believed that her family never visited her. I think maybe she just didn't remember). And then she told me to enjoy my youth, because once I got old there would be nothing left to live for. :(

And then this other lady who was over 100 years old kept talking about how she wished she'd chosen to have kids instead of pursuing her career. :(

Oh, and we went and visited this guy who was really influential in our college's history. He was okay, but his roommate kept saying, "I want to die..." :(

So now I'm afraid of getting really old and ending up lonely and despairing.

Umm... yeah, some people don't have depressing experiences hanging out at nursing homes, but... that was pretty despairifying.

I was at my elderly neighbor's house, and we were chatting about her life. (Her first husband was abusive, and her mother died when she was young, among other rough things...) One of the things she said was, "I've worked hard my whole life, and I've got nothing to show for it."

:/
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 am

For me its agoraphobia (Fear of leaving my house or a specific "safety" zone) - though I'm not able to with the help of a "safety person". Social phobia - fear of social situations which has improved considerably, aerophobia - fear of flying (i will not get on a plane unless I am beyond medicated)
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Strafe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 pm

I had a series of paranoid nightmares for several months last year that one day i would contract a deadly disease and a sick and twisted doctor would fall in love with me and try everything she could to heal me but couldn't do anything. And then when I died my corpse would be dug up and lived with for a long time, rotting in her house as she reconstructed my body out of silk and wax until I resembled a mangled creepy human puppet doll with a bright demonic smile. It's irrational because the chance of that happening isn't too high, but I still sleep with the light on when it's cold.

other than that, I'm not really afraid of too much.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby Blacklight » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Parasites, (I second/third maggots.) just about anything foreign living inside of me, like bugs, chiggers(even though I've never had them), tumors, and anything causing me to fear for my veins and arteries getting punctured or burst. And getting my circulation cut off. I can't explain it.

I'm also paranoid about writing on my computer, in private, and someone watching me write. Like someone could have hacked into the computer and was watching what I was doing.

How irrational is the fear of parasites?
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I probably have the most irrational fear of all.

I'm afraid of sitting on ripped leather chairs. I would rather stand for an hour than sit on a ripped leather chair. I would sit on my bookbag whenever I had no choice but to sit on a ripped chair on the bus, and I would always inspect leather chairs at restaurants to make sure there is no tear or rip anywhere, if not, request a wooden chair if one is in the vicinity. It even makes my skin crawl and I immediatly jump from the chair whenever my dad or sister forces me to try to sit on the chair. :red:

I used to have a fear of loud noises, but got over them somehow. I also used to have a fear of automatic toilets until the age of 15.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Previous Next

Return to General