Irrational Fears

Talk about anything in here.

Irrational Fears

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:10 pm

So, phobias and irrational fears are something I find quite interesting.

One of my huge irrational fears is smelling bad. This tends to surface when 1.) I'm sitting by a guy and 2.) I have a stuffy nose and I can't smell.

I mean... the thought of smelling bad freaks me out. I'm afraid that I smell bad when there's no logical reason why I should. What freaks me out even more is that some people have a smell that's not so great that hangs around them daily. It's just the way they smell. Their personal scent, if you will. And sometimes I feel afraid that my personal scent is repulsive. Specifically, to people of other ethnicities, because if you notice, sometimes people from other cultures or of ethnicities that differ from your own have a noticeably different scent (usually neither bad nor good. Just different). And living in another country, sometimes I'm afraid that my ethnic scent is repulsive to the people living here.

I have no rational reason for having these fears. I just have them.

What are your irrational (or rational) fears?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Not to take anything away from you, but I completely agree. And when I pick up my clothes, I can notice that they actually smell quite good like my perfume, but then I can remember when I was wearing them that I was irrationally afraid that I smelled repulsive. But this just continues... and I don't know why. And the other stuff that you said apart from the part about Japan, I'm there with you, Yuki.

I have a strange fear of bees. I know they're helpful to the environment and such, but I can't watch anything on TV about them without being really disturbed. Ugh... I've never been stung by a bee though! And I have no idea of knowing whether I'm that 2% of the population allergic to bee stings, so that makes me even more afraid. But my guess is that this stemmed from recess in elementary school where a boy in my class always had to carry an EpiPen with him in case he was stung...

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Large dogs
Flying
Doing anything outside my comfort zone
Being in large groups
Tight spaces
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Hitomi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:49 am

spiders!!
being alone to long
people not understanding me and think of me as a dork or something
falling down the stairs
walking in the dark outside
Hitomi

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Spiders
Dogs
Roller Coasters
Halloween anything past fun kid stuff
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I have a fear of bees, but that's due to (a) a traumatic childhood experience in which I was attacked full-force by a whole nest of them, and (b) a little thing called anaphylactic shock, where as a result of one sting, my throat would swell up and close and I'd die.
But I don't think that's irrational.

An irrational fear (or perhaps a better word is "paranoia") of mine is that sometimes I suspect I unknowingly say things out loud that I think I'm only thinking. When someone else says something along the lines of which I'd just had a thought, I don't know if I should be embarrassed or count it as a bizarre coincidence.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Midori » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:08 pm

I have always been very afraid of syringes (because they usually hurt!).

I can watch the grizzliest death on TV and not be overly disturbed but if someone's getting a shot I have to close or squint my eyes.
Midori

Postby Lynna » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Sleep talking and revealing horrible embarrassing secrets
Horror movie trailers
Offending people
Walking around he house in the dark...when I see red lights glowing on the telephone and stuff, it just makes my imagination go beserk
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Lynna (post: 1428901) wrote:Offending people

Me, too. Not that I expect to get along with everybody in the world. I just have this fear I'll say something really obnoxious to somebody without realizing, the person will say, "Why would you say something so horrible to me?!?!?!" and I just won't realize I said something dumb. XD

As for other fears, I think most of them are rooted in messing up in some way...
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Lynna wrote:Walking around he house in the dark...when I see red lights glowing on the telephone and stuff, it just makes my imagination go beserk

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see a small, circular, blue light about chest high. Then you should definitely run. Up some stairs, for preference.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Heights
Loud noises (no, really- I hate these to the point that I have refused to go see fireworks because the noise hurts so bad and makes me afraid)
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Spiders, roaches, crickets and other creepy-crawlies. Even though they are probably 1/1000th of my size (or less) and if I step on them, they'll die. Seeing one still makes me run away like a little girl. :/

I am also afraid of needles. Especially after my last hospitalization. I've had enough of those for a while. *shudders*

I'm scared of letting people down --of failing. I'm afraid of messing up with my dog in training or with grad school (I'm terrified that I'll get another C and have to go before the dreaded review board.) Some failure is inevitable and isn't bad necessarily, but sometimes I'm afraid to try as hard as I can because I'm afraid to fail.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby QtheQreater » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:15 pm

There's a bug-type thing called a wind scorpion back home in NM that I absolutely cannot stand. I spazz out even at pictures of these things, giving people a good laugh when I try to show them what one looks like.

I'm not a bug or critter-fearing person, normally. I have been known to catch and pet wild tarantulas, wrangle snakes, and pull mice out of feed buckets with my bare hands (all of which are not advised, kiddos). But wind scorpions are creepy! I'm now afraid of unrolling newspapers because I found one lounging on an article I wanted to read once.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Wow. I grew up in NM but I've never seen a wind scorpion before...

Vinegaroons freak me out a lot, though. *shudder*
Yuki-Anne

Postby QtheQreater » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1428927) wrote:Wow. I grew up in NM but I've never seen a wind scorpion before...

Vinegaroons freak me out a lot, though. *shudder*

Ah, vinegaroons. The great stinkbug of the southwest. And they say everything is bigger in Texas. Pfft.

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby shooraijin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:53 pm

I have to say, they are definitely a distinctive creature. Fortunately harmless, but still.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Sheenar » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 pm

QtheQreater (post: 1428928) wrote:And they say everything is bigger in Texas. Pfft.

Palmetto Bugs. Those things that are often called flying cockroaches (which is incorrect --they are beetles like cockroaches, but aren't roaches.) Those things are HUGE. And they fly at you. That's all I have to say.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby QtheQreater » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Sheenar (post: 1428950) wrote:Palmetto Bugs. Those things that are often called flying cockroaches (which is incorrect --they are beetles like cockroaches, but aren't roaches.) Those things are HUGE. And they fly at you. That's all I have to say.

Palmetto bug: 2 inches. Giant Vinegaroon (Texas has normal ones, but not NM!): 4-6 inches, plus it sprays vinegar-smelling garbage at you. While it doesn't fly, it does stink.

As for creepy things in Texas: raccoons. They are evil. I never knew camping could be a fight for survival (okay, bagels, but whatever)...I suffer from coon paranoia...

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Blacklight » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Gas inhalation. And, in a way, mouse droppings.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby ich1990 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 am

Public Speaking.

I used to have a fear of heights and bees but working on a roof infested with hornets' nests for an entire summer kind of fixed those.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:21 am

Wow. If you had delivered motivational speeches from a roof infested with hornets' nests, then you'd be fearless.
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:29 am

I hate just about any kind of insect, most especially moths, wasps, hornets, and roaches. If I never see another bug for the rest of my life, it'll be too soon.

I have all kinds of social hangups too, but to get into them all would just bring me down, so.

I also have this weird thing where I don't like closed shower curtains at other people's houses. Always gotta take a peek behind to make sure nothing is in there.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ich1990 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:29 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1428997) wrote:Wow. If you had delivered motivational speeches from a roof infested with hornets' nests, then you'd be fearless.

Aw crap, I should have thought of that. If I ever find myself in that situation again I guess I will know what I have to do.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby GeneD » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:41 am

Wasps -I am convinced that they are the embodiment of evil. They fly at you with their evil wings and evil legs all a-dangling,. Evilly do they fly at you.

I will also jump on the nearest raised surface if there is a wind scorpion, or a red roman as we know them, running around. Same with a parktown prawn. These things are like crickets made from steroids and nightmares.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Midori » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:11 pm

For a long time I was afraid of bees and wasps since I had been stung several times when I was really little, but I eventually got over the bees part. Wasps are still scary though. Bees die when they sting you so they're reluctant to do so. Wasps don't die so they can just bully you around.
Midori

Postby Lilac#18 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:04 pm

[color="Plum"]Just like some of you, it's bees, wasps, any insect with a stinger and I've never been stung before either.
[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Okami » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm

I have a great fear of rejection. That as soon as anyone hears my testimony, they are going to pick up and walk away from me, even with knowing the great things God has in store through my testimony. I think it comes from my trying to reach out of my comfort zone in earlier days of schooling, and then having nothing come of it, or being turned away from by other children.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Gala » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:52 pm

poison ivy (because I have a deadly allergy to it)
small dogs
and that I have major bad breath no matter how much I brush
Always find time in your day to rejoice for something the Lord has done for you... even if it is just the miracle of getting up every morning.
Gala

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Gala (post: 1429080) wrote:poison ivy (because I have a deadly allergy to it)

That's not an irrational fear- if you could die from just touching it, it's definitely not irrational! XD
Atria35

Postby Gala » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Atria35 (post: 1429094) wrote:That's not an irrational fear- if you could die from just touching it, it's definitely not irrational! XD

it is only because i think it's everywhere even when there is none! Sad thing is I love to camp but this fear makes it hard
Always find time in your day to rejoice for something the Lord has done for you... even if it is just the miracle of getting up every morning.
Gala

Next

Return to General