Will Digital readers replace books?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Scarecrow, back when illuminated manuscripts were around they were the ONLY books for the most part. The public was illiterate, precisely because book reproduction was so difficult and there was no reason to teach reading and writing if one would never encounter the written word and paper (vellum) was so expensive the general populace couldn't afford it. Illuminated books were created because it was the only reproduction method at the time, and was only affordable by the wealthy regardless of the level of illumination, but the illumination was done to 'show' the value of the books, and to provide some of the illiterate nobles something to look at if they couldn't read the books their family owned.

The printing press DID effectively replace hand copied reproductions of books and therefore Illumination, since the only books being reproduced at the time were books of prayer and the bible, since very few people could read, and a majority of the populace that could both read and reproduce books were the clergy, such as the monks (though some monks couldn't read and literally reproduced the letter shapes on the page). The gutenberg press allowed many people to see printed language for the first time because it made books avaliable to many who had never seen written language before, and it killed the Illumination because it made books cheaper and reduced the reproduction process from YEARS to (if I remember right) a month or so for a Bible.

It was AFTER the printing press where illuminated texts became an art form exclusively, rather than a form of art AND the main method for reproducing written text.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Sae-chan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:07 pm

As much as I love my e-reader, I have to say no! I have always loved the feeling of a book in my hands the best. Though the e-reader undeniably is more convenient than lugging around a bag of books to read, I don't think pressing buttons will ever replace turning pages and the smell of a new (or old) book.
Sae-chan

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:06 am

I don't think so.

Books don't need electricity or any fuel source. Means you can read in sunshine, rain, or hail. You can even read in the dark, just need a torch (unless you have infravision, heheh).

You can flip to any page of a book at any time. Highlight words, underline sentences, or madly scribble notes on pages where the words inspire you or give you ideas.

Books and readers have this bond that is hard to describe. The feeling of sitting down with a good book in your hands, especially when it's thunderstorm-ing outside, is hard to beat.

So ancient, yet so flexible. Books rock.
Sammy Boy

Postby Icarus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Sammy Boy (post: 1428023) wrote: Means you can read in sunshine, rain, or hail.
If you actually read outside in the rain, you do not deserve to own books.
So ancient, yet so flexible. Books rock.

^This.

While I want an e-reader, I'm not going to do away with all the books I've collected when I get one. I mean, honestly, some books have too much import to be reduced to ones and zeros. Books like the Bible, LotR, The Way of Kings, dictionaries, would lose more than mass if packed into plastic and circuits.

That being said, I'm with Q in wondering how the next generation will view this debate.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Furen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Icarus (post: 1428272) wrote:If you actually read outside in the rain, you do not deserve to own books.
^This.

While I want an e-reader, I'm not going to do away with all the books I've collected when I get one. I mean, honestly, some books have too much import to be reduced to ones and zeros. Books like the Bible, LotR, The Way of Kings, dictionaries, would lose more than mass if packed into plastic and circuits.

That being said, I'm with Q in wondering how the next generation will view this debate.

Bibles could be fit on to an e-reader I'm sure. If they can be put onto an iPod I'm sure an E-reader is cake
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Personally, I've found reading books to be super unwieldy on a packed subway and I've found it much more enjoyable reading on my iPod touch (which is what I did for months when I had to commute to work in midtown Toronto).
blkmage

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Icarus wrote:Books like the Bible, LotR, The Way of Kings, dictionaries, would lose more than mass if packed into plastic and circuits.

How??

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Icarus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 pm

I think it'd be harder to grasp how substantial said works are when all you see is a eight ounce, half inch thick piece of tech, as opposed to a four inch thick tome with gorgeous illustrations.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I thought you said they'd lose more than mass though.

Nate

Postby Icarus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:13 pm

You're right, I did word that poorly. Rephrasing, the size/quality of some books inspires an almost reverential awe in me that would not translate well.

Also, you couldn't snap it shut to snap people awake. } : )
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby airichan623 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Personally, I like reading paper books- mostly cuz i was always told to "not do something digital for a while" so to me that was 'read a book.' if its digital too, it doesnt seem right. what they SHOULD do is buy 1 electronic reader for each high school student, and download their textbooks onto it: the school saves money, and my back stops hurting.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Edward » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Actually Nate, IMO CD's do have some advantages over digital music. For one thing, they sound better. I've turned up the bass on my Walkman's equalizer all the way and it still dosn't compare to a CD played in my car. The reason digital music takes up way less space is because audio quality suffers from compression of the file. Of course vinyl is (supposedly) the best because it's uncompressed, but I havn't had enough experience listening to vinyl to form an opinion as of yet. But I still think CD's offer superior audio quality when compared to digital music, and I will regret their certain demise. But maybe by then a CD quality audio file will take up as much space as the average mp3 does now.

On the other hand, phisical books will not be going away anytime soon. Digital memory can still be corrupted or wiped away. And digital readers still cost way too much for a lot of people. And digital books can cost as much as twice as much as a paperback. So, unlike CD's, books are here to stay, for now.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Vinyl records are not superior to CDs, no matter what anybody says. Vinyl records have audible pops and static and it only gets worse over time. Some people are nostalgic for that sound, but it is not technically better than CD-quality sound.

Also FLACs are lossless and sound great but they're also effing huge files. Files won't get smaller, but storage space will get cheaper and cheaper so it kinda won't matter.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:46 pm

I hope you are not seriously comparing the output from what is presumably your MP3 player's earbuds to your car's stereo system, not to mention not considering the difference in audio processing hardware.

I may or may not be back later with more on compression.
blkmage

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1435285) wrote:Vinyl records are not superior to CDs, no matter what anybody says. Vinyl records have audible pops and static and it only gets worse over time. Some people are nostalgic for that sound, but it is not technically better than CD-quality sound.

While you are correct about very old vinyl records, new records, or ones that have been well cared for, don't have those audible pops and static.Basically, science tells us why digital will never be as complete as analogue.

But eh, it's all personal preference in the end anyways.

Also, I don't think that this was ever linked in this thread:
Barnes and Noble launch ebook publishing service.

Now, Barnes & Noble has launched Pubit!, which would allow you to self publish eBooks. It is a free direct to device self publishing service that has been launched for its Nook e-reader. All you would need to do is upload your file, and the service runs you through various steps like picking up a cover, a font and other such details, and you would get your final product. Barnes & Noble would pay you a 65% royalty and you could also get your eBook read on Kindle, and get a royalty of 70%.

This is electronic self publishing, and why I think that ebooks are a great idea. Now you can publish your own works and make money off of it for... as far as I can tell, no initial monetary investment.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1435296) wrote:
This is electronic self publishing, and why I think that ebooks are a great idea. Now you can publish your own works and make money off of it for... as far as I can tell, no initial monetary investment.

Sounds too good to be true!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm

blkmage has a point, an iPod is not going to have the same audio processing, much less output, as a car stereo system, so it's an unfair comparison. The only way to truly compare would be to play an MP3 and a CD on the same hardware...I think there are some car stereo systems that can do that, I don't think there's any combination CD/MP3 portable players though.

Second, Nette is right. The size of lossless quality sound files will become a moot point given enough time. To put this in perspective, when I was a kid, we had a computer that used 5 1/4 inch floppies for storage, and the ones we had could hold 720 kb. 3 1/2 inch floppies came out though, which could hold 1.44 megs...which was a large amount of storage for the time. A computer with a 256 meg hard drive was seen as incredibly huge, like to the point of "Man there's NO WAY you could fill a hard drive THAT big!"

And now we have iPods with gigs of storage space. Heck this 16 gig USB memory stick I have on my desk completely dwarfs the old Apple II computer I had as a kid in terms of storage space. But the QBASIC games and programs I had on my Apple II would fit easily on my memory stick. The file size didn't get smaller, the storage space just got bigger.

Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:57 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1435297) wrote:Sounds too good to be true!

But it's here right now!
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Asuka Neko » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:10 pm

I certainly hope they don't! I can read a book much longer than I can stare at a screen, because staring at a screen hurts my eyes. I've also noticed (especially with manga) when I read stuff online, I totally miss things. Really, I didn't notice that one of the characters DIED while reading my favorite manga online. That is why I always have to get a real copy of a manga whether it be through a library or a bookstore.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby Blacklight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Am I the only one who puts the open book on their face when they're lying down? It's not that I'm not interested in the book, but I do this sometimes. There's no way you can do that with a digital reader. (it's comforting in a way, and books smell good.)

And screens break, batteries die, etc.

But, books are also subject to damage. They aren't waterproof or tearproof. Then there's the convenience issue. I have a designated book bag for my library books, and it gets pretty bulky and heavy.

Then again, a good hardcover book would NOT break if you tossed it. Properly, I don't mean throwing it on the ground. I have a bunk bed, and will toss a book onto my dresser below, so that it lands level. Not in an abusive way. Really, I promise I've never damaged a book this way.
But, I would never try this with electronic anything. My iPod's clip got broken from using it too much. (Clip being the clip that shuffles have, so that it doesn't fall out of my pocket.)

And they did make waterproof cameras. I can see waterproof readers actually existing.
(For things like reading by the pool... or in the pool...)

I still prefer books.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Sheenar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Blacklight (post: 1436110) wrote:Am I the only one who puts the open book on their face when they're lying down? It's not that I'm not interested in the book, but I do this sometimes. There's no way you can do that with a digital reader. (it's comforting in a way, and books smell good.)

I do that, too. It is really comforting --and also a great way to pause and process what you've just read.

There's just something about the sound and feel of the pages turning, the smell of the book, etc. that just can't be matched by an ebook.

Now, I do have NookStudy on my netbook (my Stats textbook is an ebook), but I vastly prefer reading a physical book. It's much easier on my eyes and the whole experience is more pleasant to me.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Technomancer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't think e-readers will ever replace books, although they may take a chunk of the fiction market (books that are less likely to be kept). Personally, I hate reading from computer screens, especially for anything demanding that requires any real concentration. I can see some use for it though to save one the trouble of actually grabbing and carrying around a physical newspaper or some dime-store novel for the morning commute. Since I get most of quick fiction reads from the library, I doubt I'll ever want one.

Cognitive Gear wrote:While you are correct about very old vinyl records, new records, or ones that have been well cared for, don't have those audible pops and static. Basically, science tells us why digital will never be as complete as analogue.

This article is actually wrong. Via Nyquist's theorem, perfect reconstruction of any band-limited signal can be achieved if the sampling rate is greater than or equal to the highest frequency present. So for a sufficiently high sampling rate (and CDs are certainly in this range), any reconstruction noise will be completely inaudible. At the same time, noise rejection is much easier in digital systems than in analog owing to the fact that the voltage levels should be well above any practical noise source, and can thus be corrected at each successive processing stage. This is impossible to do in analog systems.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Previous

Return to General