What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Kaori » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 am

While still only halfway through Works of Love, I have started and finished The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton.

There are many things that this book is not. It is not a world history textbook; rather, it is a book centered around broad ideas. Although Chesterton does touch on religions in Asia and South America, it is particularly clear that his acquaintance with Eastern religion and society is rather limited. The focus of the book is on Western history, as centered around the Mediterranean and Rome, as the location in which Christ would appear.

The first few chapters of the book are devoted to exposing illogical and foolish ways that Chesterton’s contemporaries generally thought about prehistoric, or “cave” men. He also touches briefly on one of the supposed “missing links” between primates and men, exposing its illogic, but this is not a book to read for a thorough debunking of evolution or of the various “missing links” scientists have found. The next several chapters discuss and categorize different types of beliefs; Chesterton places almost every human belief that has been labeled as religion either into the category of mythology (which he identifies as having a healthy or “sane” side and a demoniac side; pagan religions tend to fall into one or the other, though there is some potential for overlap) or philosophy (all Greek philosophers, and the teachings of Confucius and Buddha). That, with the addition of Chesterton’s take on some historical events, like the Punic Wars and the fall of Rome, is the first half of the book.

The second half of the book specifically concerns the appearance of Christ and Christianity. Especially at the beginning of this Part II, Chesterton is at his scintillating best: he abounds with catchy paradoxes that express profound truths. He then goes on to discuss some overall patterns in church history, like the church’s stand against heresy, and the pattern in which the church is always revived just when it seems about to die out.

As I’ve already mentioned, this book is not a systematic or scientific rebuttal of evolution, and I also felt that his understanding of Eastern religions was not a strong point. He also occasionally takes a view that I really cannot agree with. However, where Chesterton really shines is in the way he brings out the good and healthy qualities of paganism (who, after all, doesn’t love Greek and Norse mythology?); he shows how paganism attempts (but fails) to fill a natural need or longing, and how the incomplete ideas of both paganism and philosophy are made complete through Christ. It is a book that identifies broad ideas and patterns in history. As such, it is extremely thought-provoking, and it made me see certain historical events in a completely different light. In particular, I will never think of the Punic Wars in the same way after reading this book.

Overall, the book is not without faults, but there were also some aspects of it that were really well-done and even, at times, moving. It is most definitely food for thought.

shade of dae (post: 1415644) wrote:Finished The Winter's Tale by Shakespeare. This wasn't one of my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, if only for the ending. [spoiler] Hermoine's sudden revelation that she wasn't actually dead all of those 16 years, but was pretending to be a statue seemed rather cheap trick for making the play have a happy ending. [/spoiler]

If I recall correctly, that's a hotly contested issue:

[spoiler]I can't recall his specific arguments, but my Shakespeare professor very firmly and convincingly maintained that it is an actual miracle and resurrection, not a shallow deception. Comedy is seen as having a U-shaped plot in which things get bad before they get better]The Winter's Tale [/I]fits that archetype better than any other Shakespearean comedy, because things become so very bad (Hermione actually dies), and so the upward movement of the resolution is much more dramatic, and stands out much more clearly, by way of contrast. If nothing else, the story is far more satisfying if you believe that it is a miracle; also, it seems rather hard, and inconsistent with their character, for Hermione and Paulina, to conspire together to keep Hermione away from her husband for 16 years when (if I recall correctly) Leontes had repented long ago. Incidentally, this is my [former] professor's favorite Shakespeare play because of the way that its U-shaped plot--the descent into tragedy and death followed by the reversal, renewal, and resurrection in the denouement--so closely mirrors the central Christian narrative: creation, fall, redemption; Christ's incarnation, death, and resurrection; every believer's death to self and life through Christ.[/spoiler]

Critics' comments on the same subject:

[spoiler]"Whatever led Shakespeare to construct the scene in which Hermione comes to life, he has provided us with a rare moment . . . a common experience of wonder and, as some critics would have it, miracle. The wasteland of tragedy is behind. . . . Suffering and death are overcome by a penance that is efficacious and by a life ever renewing." (David Bergeron)

"No one would question the central importance of faith in the comedies, the faith in love demanded of the characters and the poetic faith required of the audience; but when Paulina tells Leontes before the unveiling of Hermione's 'statue' that 'It is required you do awake your faith,' she means more than his faith in love and our faith in incredible comic plots. She means 'faith' in the sense of her possible namesake, St. Paul: a creative, almost magical, power which, in the terms of this scene, positively brings Hermione back to life." (Howard Felperin)

"Nor is it just a reversal of tragedy; rather tragedy is contained, assimilated, transmuted; every phrase of the resurrection scene is soaked in tragic feeling, and the accompanying joy less an antithesis to sorrow than its final flowering. . . . The Bible has been an influence; so have classical myth and Renaissance pastoral; but the greatest influence was Life itself." (G. Wilson Knight)[/spoiler]

Just to give you a different perspective.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

I started Native Son by Richard Wright, and have read almost all of what I was assigned from it. I don't have to read the whole thing, and am debating whether or not to finish it. I don't really like it - the subject matter or the style - but I can understand why other people might and why it's seen as worthwhile literature and all that. We'll see.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 am

Finished Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception and started Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. All in prep for reading The Atlantis Complex!
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Tiny, Tiny Houses: or How to Get Away From It All” by Lester Walker

This is a book with content so different from what I expected that I find it difficult to review it without bias. I originally picked up this volume as “idea fodder” to help with the design and possible construction of a future home. This book proudly claimed to have pictures and floor plans of 40 some houses, so I thought it would suit my purposes perfectly. A quick browse immediately told me that I had thought wrong. I read it anyways and found it interesting yet ultimately unhelpful.

The subtitle is what threw me off, I think. “Getting away from it all” seems to imply an anti-consumerism or outdoors, off-the-grid mindset. In actuality, it is used by the author to describe vacation housing, summer hobby projects, and historical buildings. “Tiny, Tiny Houses” does include around 40 floor plans and designs, but they are for things like Thoreau's “Walden” house, or a “writer's shack” (one room with a desk), or even an outhouse. Of the 40 or so examples only about 5 are designed for modern indoor plumbing and out of those only one or two might be intended to be occupied full-time.

Therefore, this is a great collection of information on small, historical buildings and vacation shacks, with plenty of black and white photos and fascinating architectural facts. The selections are oddly chosen (and include some shameless plugs), but it is solid. It is also a very, very poor collection of information about houses that could be used for modern, full-time living. If you are looking for the former, this is worth your while. If not, pass it up. 7/10.

Atria35 wrote:All in prep for reading The Atlantis Complex!
I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best with this one. After The Time Paradox I almost believed he had killed the series, but then he wrote Airman and revived my faith. If he can write something as fun as Airman, he still has the capacity to write a good Artemis Fowl book. I haven't read it yet, though, so there is still trepidation. If you read it before I do, you will have to let me know how it is.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:50 pm

I hate Artemis Fowl.

Why?
Because it is one of those really good book series that I can not put down, the ones where I put off tuning the light out a bedtime, where I delay getting out of bed in the morning, where I read six books in about a week.

Yes, I read up through Time Paradox over the last week. It's an irritatingly good series.
My little sister had taken all of them out from the library, I usually try not to have more than two books in a series out at once.

I hope Atlantis doesn't have as much time travel or lemurs. I wish we'd gotten to see more of Artemis's magic.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Adie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:36 am

Started Wuthering Heights, which has been sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read since last winter. ^^;
Adie

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 am

I'm reading Artemis Fowl as well. I'm on book 4. I can't wait for the movie! Here's hoping it doesn't suck.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 am

Started Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. Seriously, this is like reading some bad AF fanfiction! What went wrong, Colfer?! Things that weren't mentioned in other books, or stupid character interactions.... this has them. Like
[spoiler]Holly's new 'tick' for her magic. In all six books she was able to do it instantaneously, where a sound like the cracking of her neck or movement would have brought extreme danger. So why even put it in?! And then there's Arty using all his magic on his mom. He's not stupid. He is smart enough to realize when something's not working, and possibly even making his mom's illness worse. So why does he keep pushing it?! This is the boy who stood aside and let Holly DIE in the last book, because he knew that he could fix it afterwards. He wouldn't do something needless like pushing all his magic when it isn't helping his mom, no matter how much he loved her.[/spoiler]

So basically, I'm not impressed. I'll finish reading it, but I'm really disappointed in this installment.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Re-reading The Shadow Rising. Thirteenth book in WOT coming soon!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Atria35 (post: 1418159) wrote:Started Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. Seriously, this is like reading some bad AF fanfiction! What went wrong, Colfer?! Things that weren't mentioned in other books, or stupid character interactions.... this has them. Like
[spoiler]Holly's new 'tick' for her magic. In all six books she was able to do it instantaneously, where a sound like the cracking of her neck or movement would have brought extreme danger. So why even put it in?! And then there's Arty using all his magic on his mom. He's not stupid. He is smart enough to realize when something's not working, and possibly even making his mom's illness worse. So why does he keep pushing it?! This is the boy who stood aside and let Holly DIE in the last book, because he knew that he could fix it afterwards. He wouldn't do something needless like pushing all his magic when it isn't helping his mom, no matter how much he loved her.[/spoiler]

So basically, I'm not impressed. I'll finish reading it, but I'm really disappointed in this installment.

Agreed
[spoiler]I think he needs to get away from all the time travel stuff, however there is still a lose end that needs to be tied off.
About the magic]knew[/B] he couldn't do anything directly and was already thinking about the time skips that were occurring, whereas with his mom he's using magic with which he is inexperienced and uninformed. Also whatever happened to Minerva? I got he impression that she was going to be important going forward.[/spoiler]
MomentOfInertia

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:18 pm

So I finished The Princess Bride, which was awesome. Now I'm back to Jordan with The Fires of Heaven which has avoided the Boring Jordan Beginning, and is shaping up to be as awesome as The Great Hunt. I do find it interesting that the sexual content in the series has slowly been rising, where a dance was a big deal in the first book, while in this Rand walks in on Mat and Melindrha naked.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:50 pm

I dropped Native Son; the content was just too much for me.

And instead I picked up The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I'm a third of the way through, and all I can think is that I wish she would just awaken already, because nothing is happening :mutter: This is probably some monumental feminist thingy (I'd actually never heard of the book before, though supposedly it's a classic), and I don't like it one bit so far.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:17 am

MomentOfInertia (post: 1418324) wrote:Agreed
[spoiler]I think he needs to get away from all the time travel stuff, however there is still a lose end that needs to be tied off.
About the magic]knew[/B] he couldn't do anything directly and was already thinking about the time skips that were occurring, whereas with his mom he's using magic with which he is inexperienced and uninformed. Also whatever happened to Minerva? I got he impression that she was going to be important going forward.[/spoiler]

Naw, he [spoiler]stole some more when they came back. I also agree with Minerva- the girl got put on a bus! So not fair.[/spoiler] But even so, this is Artemis- he's seen dozens of healings and knows what it's supposed to look lke/be like! Therefore [spoiler]going on when he knows it's going wrong is just plain stupid, espscially when he says that it's not like it usually is! He could have KILLED his mom doing that, which he's far too smart for![/spoiler]

But have come across a few other kinda-dumb things that I'm annoyed with, like [spoiler]Mulch's apparent gas-attack when he has to hold it in. He's held it in other books (with bad consequences after) but it's NEVER propelled him across a room, OR given him afterbursts with which he had a problem with! And then there's Holly having issues with tight spaces. Mom dying in one or no, ALL the LEP rides and whatnot were cramped spaces, and she was flying those for years! So she shouldn't have such a problem with them now. I'm also disappointed with the memory twist- I figured that out at the beginning. Ususally I can't figure it out until the middle or the reveal, but that was just silly.[/spoiler]
Oneof my friends can't believes I don't care for this- I'm writing down all the problems this book has just so I can point them out to her.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:25 am

Don't forget Butler! He was one of the best, most level headed, and quiet-dangerous characters in the series, and now he is bragging and making snarky comments. It is unforgivable.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:29 am

ich1990 (post: 1418698) wrote:Don't forget Butler! He was one of the best, most level headed, and quiet-dangerous characters in the series, and now he is bragging and making snarky comments. It is unforgivable.

Le Gasp! You're right! I'd thought something was wrong, but this is unforgiveable!
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:22 pm

As I believe I've said before, I owe a lot of good reading to this thread. So with that in mind, I picked up the first Artemis Fowl book. Just read the first chapter. So far, so good.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby CrystalChalice » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:28 am

I'm reading Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth." I'm still waiting for Suzanne Collins' "Mockingjay" to be released on Wednesday here.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Alone With The Devil- a book about a court psychologists' cases that he encountered. He takes the time to also criticize the court's understanding of psychology, how it's used, and how it's abused in the court system. Very interesting read on all accounts! You get the True Crume details (somewhat gorey and disturbing), the psychological understanding (what levels of psychosis there are, what types), the legal understanding of it (what makes a person legally insane, or fit to stand trial, or the legal difference between manslaughter via the psychology of the person vs. muder via the psychology of the perpetrator), and how it's used in the courts.
Atria35

Postby Kaori » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:17 am

Just reread The Light in the Forest, by Conrad Richter--a short but moving piece of historical fiction describing the life of a white boy who had been taken captive and raised among Native Americans, then forcibly returned to his original family. One of Richter's stated goals in writing was to present both sides fairly. Personally, I feel that he paints the beautiful simplicity of the Native American lifestyle much more convincingly than the merits of the colonists' lifestyle, but that might just be me; overall, the book is very fair, does not hold back from telling about the atrocities committed by both sides, and offers no easy answers to anything.

One Heartbeat Away by Mark Cahill. The book is full of fascinating anecdotes from Cahill’s evangelism; it also presents complex issues in a simple and understandable way, making it an easy and pleasant read. However, he does sometimes oversimplify things and doesn’t take into account questions, complexities, and counter-arguments (for example, he uses Lewis’s trilemma, not the quadrilemma). Good for an easy and approachable overview of basics like the origin of the world, the existence of God, heaven and hell, and the path to salvation. For a thorough treatment of any of those topics, look elsewhere.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 am

Lies My Teacher Told Me-all about things ommitted or outright lied about in children's textbooks. I knew some of this from the college history classes I've taken, but other bits came as a real surprise, like Helen Keller being a socialist, or a lot of the nasty things Woodrow Wilson did during his presidency. There's also the true tales of the landing at Pilgrim Rock (my aunt had actually taught me this when I was younger- when our teacher tried to give us the lie about it in 1st grade, I stood up, told her she was wrong, and told the real version of it. I got in so much trouble! XD ), what Christopher Columbus really discovered and why, and a whole lot of other things that are supported by historical documents and the perpetrators themselves! A must-read for anyone interested in knowing the truth about history.
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:02 am

Starting Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, for the second time. First time I got distracted and didn't get past chapter 3. Maybe this time I'll finish it or at least get farther.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:58 am

started The WARRIORS book, Twilight, not the Stephanie Meyer one.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:38 am

Currently reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King, after finishing The Serpent and the Rainbow, a book exploring Haitian voodoo culture and the role zombies play in their society.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Hohenheim » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:31 pm

As part of the curriculum for my World Cultures class, I have started reading The Epic of Gilgamesh. So far I find it utterly fascinating. While some people simply can't stand the repetitive nature of it, I find that it establishes a sort of rhythm in the story that helps maintain interest. In fact, that rhythm was probably used by the Sumerians to preserve the story through oral tradition.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Finished The Sky People by S. M. Stirling.

Interesting book, sort of an alt-history/sci-fi thing.

Very good.
MomentOfInertia

Postby rocklobster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:16 am

Starting The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Blacklight » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Okay, I'm terrible about setting aside books for days and weeks at a time, but today I finished Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code, and I'm wanting to read the next one already. On the other hand, I'm hearing some negative stuff about the future; is there a book I should stop at or skip?
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby ich1990 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:57 pm

[quote="Blacklight (post: 1421005)"]Okay, I'm terribly guilty of setting aside my books for days and weeks on end, but today I finished Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code, and I'm wanting to read the next one already. On the other hand, I'm hearing some negative stuff about the future]

My advice is to avoid The Time Paradox. I can't speak for the newest, though, which might require a reading of The Time Paradox in order to be understood. So, you are all clear for The Opal Deception and The Lost Colony. After that I am not sure.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 am

ich1990 (post: 1421024) wrote:My advice is to avoid The Time Paradox. I can't speak for the newest, though, which might require a reading of The Time Paradox in order to be understood. So, you are all clear for The Opal Deception and The Lost Colony. After that I am not sure.

Unfortunately, the stuff in The Atlantis Complex does require knowledge of at least one event in Time Paradox. So it's not entirely wise to skip over it, as much as I regret saying that. But in Artemis, events carry over from one book to another.

EDIT: For my reading club, I picked up The Emperor and the Linguist- interesting, but it doesn't flow well, and does have some events 'as interpreteed by the author', y'know, for dramatization. Still an interesting story about two men who had a fascination with Egypt. It probably would have been better if it had focused on the Linguist and his search to decipher the heiroglyohics, but then I suspect the book would have been shorter than the 267 pages it was. Small pages, I should add, in fairly large print.

Started Mistborn book 1- I'm intrigued.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm reading Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner