What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:45 pm

The light novel Kamikaze Girls. Came across a misspelling that annoyed me- the lolita girl refers to the "Cocoro of Rococo". While I know that was put to make it more punny in English, it still annoyed me to no end!
Atria35

Postby Tamachan319 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 pm

I am just starting This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pffefer. It's the third book in a end-of-world series (which, in general, I don't really enjoy this genre). I did like the first two books, so hopefully this one will be good too. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby airichan623 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Atria35 (post: 1407281) wrote:The light novel Kamikaze Girls. Came across a misspelling that annoyed me- the lolita girl refers to the "Cocoro of Rococo". While I know that was put to make it more punny in English, it still annoyed me to no end!

Ah, Shinotsuma Monogatari (japanese title)! I own that book. I like it, though the yanki's language irks me. I guess it does get across how crass a yanki is tho...

Have you seen the movie? Like the book better (which is pretty normal for me).

I've started a book called How to Ditch your Fairy. We'll see how this book is... i do love the cover tho.
Image :dizzy::lol:

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Kaori » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Finished rereading God in the Dock. I love Lewis’s rigorously logical approach. His humble and generous attitude towards his opponents, his readers, and his audiences is also amazing; I hope that someday I will be able to assert my beliefs towards people who hold opposing views with as much grace, charity, and humility as C.S. Lewis.

Read The Moon and the Face by Patricia McKillip, sequel to Moonflash. This is a novel full of understandable themes: being torn between two worlds, the death of a loved one, worry about people you love who travel far away, fear that the complexity of modern life will shatter life’s simplicity, the paradoxical way in which the complexity and the simplicity of life coexist. The outlook of the book is excessively sunny and optimistic (i.e., it is optimistic in an unrealistic and fluffy way; it’s not that optimism itself is bad), and that is my only major complaint about it.

Radical Dreamer wrote:Started reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? today!

That book is awesome.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 pm

“Tuckâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:04 am

airichan623 (post: 1407630) wrote:Ah, Shinotsuma Monogatari (japanese title)! I own that book. I like it, though the yanki's language irks me. I guess it does get across how crass a yanki is tho...

Have you seen the movie? Like the book better (which is pretty normal for me).

I'm a weird person- language by movie/anime/book characters doesn't bother me, RL useage like that does :lol: I've even gotten over that by a fair bit due to my brother picking up casual usage from his mechanics classes (though from the stories he tells me about the cars that people bring in, it sounds like they need some way to express their anger/frustration!).

I have not had the opportunity to see the movie- I heard the book was better, so I just went straight to that! :thumb:

Artemis Fowl: Eternity Code- Slogging through the series. It's difficult when I also am busy packing for a move.
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Kaori (post: 1407674) wrote:That book is awesome.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far! I just watched Blade Runner for the first time a few days ago, so I figured it was time to pick this one up off my shelf and read through it! I can't wait to see how the book and movie differ/compliment one another. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:15 am

Starting on Children of the Mind, book 4 of Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo

The subtitle is "Why aid is not working and how there is a better way for Africa." That is a pretty good description of the book, provided you understand that by "aid" she refers only to the sustained governmental money that passes directly to African governments. Being an economist, she writes like one, so expect a lot of studies and discussion of monetary theory instead of other kinds of prose.

It's a critical book, I would say. I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced that foreign aid can be blamed for as many problems as she suggests, but she does make a very convincing case that it is doing minimal good. Unlike some of Africa's problems, this is also one that we do have a major effect on in the west, so it demands more of a policy shift.

Sharing Boundaries: Learning the Wisdom of Africa by Annetta Miller

This is an attempt to be a refreshing look at culture differences through proverbs and poetry. I am a fan of neither and in general the worst possible audience for this book. Probably nothing else I should say about it.

African Friends and Money Matters by David Maranz

Very direct and practical information about how different cultures view finances, generosity, and business. The book was reviewed by people from multiple African countries before publication and their comments/rebuttals/agreement are frequently mentioned in the text. While this isn't good light reading, it's valuable when relevant.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kaori » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Humility by Andrew Murray. Murray has a well-defined concept of humility, and his view of it is more comprehensive than merely the feeling that results from contrition over one’s sins. Even in a book of only 100 pages, he does manage to repeat himself a bit, but overall, it is a good read and a topic worthy of reflection.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. It's not, ya know, literature per say, but it's still a fascinating look at what bodies go through after death, giving a bit of history to the various options that we have today and what options we may have for tomorrow. It's sometimes odd, sometimes a bit gross, sometimes a little heartbreaking, but a real look at what we do with the dead, and it's always handled with tact, compassion, care, and honesty.
Atria35

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:39 pm

The Overton Window by Glenn Beck :D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:53 am

I just read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, and loved it! It reminded me a lot of Myst (especially The Book of D'ni, which takes place between the second and third games); in fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Miller brothers had consciously taken inspiration from it. The time machine itself was never described in great detail, but I could just picture it in my mind's eye as something that wouldn't be out of place in those games. It also said something about human nature and was actually really creepy, in my experience. Pssh, forget Frankenstein! This thing freaked me out.

Also, I found it interesting to learn that The Time Machine was the first story ever written where time travel was accomplished through means of a machine. Always before, people traveled through time by supernatural means. Interesting.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Okami » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:42 am

I'm still working on Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis, but have also added Craig Gross' and Jason Harper's Jesus Loves You This I Know and Jon Acuff's Stuff Christians Like.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 am

Will be starting The Pillars of Creation, book 6 in Sword of Truth
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:08 pm

John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series book 7, Erak's Ransom.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Kaori » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm

The Incarnation of the Word by Athanasius, a short treatise which can be read online for free. In the latter half of the work, Athanasius gives arguments attempting to combat the unbelief of the Jews and then of the Gentiles (who at the time were neo-Platonist Greeks). The section of arguments against the Jews is of some use, though a careful reader can find occasional errors or debatable interpretations; the section against the Gentiles is of somewhat less use, since most people nowadays do not hold neo-Platonist assumptions. However, this treatise is valuable not for its apologetics but as a work of soteriology; as such, it is solid, orthodox, accessible, and concise. Recommended.

A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor. The point of these stories is not always immediately obvious, although having read Mystery and Manners, in which she explains her approach to writing, does help. Having recently been made to read some Christian fiction in which the Christian characters are made out to be saintly and more or less perfect, I relish O’Connor’s way of creating characters that, despite their deep moral flaws, still have capacity for goodness and grace (her believing characters could generally be said to be either somewhat hypocritical or very hypocritical). “The Artificial Nigger,â€

MAL
Kaori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and I really enjoyed it! I thought it had a very interesting way of hinting at the plot twist without explicitly stating it.

Also, I've picked Shutter Island back up in hopes of finishing it over the next few days!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Today I finished reading Robert Jordan's New Spring. (the novel)
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:32 am

I have just caught the reading bug from my classmates and started reading Nahoko Uehashi's Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Abi-chan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:05 pm

The Guardians Of Ga'Hoole book 2: The Journey. My friend let me borrow it, but I haven't read it for about a week. -_-
Evil beware, we have waffles. :3
Abi-chan

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:39 am

Currently reading book 2 of the second Warrior Cats arc. And I also read the first Sandman book. Will be re-starting The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:37 pm

"Getting Things Done" by David Allen

I have read a lot of self-help, productivity, pop psychology, and personal finance books in the last ten years; as an individual I have an almost insatiable desire to make my life more efficient, more productive, and all around less pointless. That being said, I have gotten almost to the point of giving up on those genres altogether, as everything I read seems to be hash of the same principles, laid out in a idealized forms that are difficult to apply to the real world. Honestly, I find that there is often far more wisdom and opportunity to learn about "self-help" (not to mention examples) in classic literature than there is in most of these books so my attention is directed accordingly. Perhaps that is why I hadn't heard of this book until about a month ago when I was talking with my supervisor and noticed that his e-mail inbox was empty (most people I know have a 1000+ e-mails in their inbox, so this was surprising). Intrigued, I inquired. My supervisor explained that the empty inbox was a product of a new productivity model he was following. He described it saying, "it is like Seven Habits for Highly Successful People --except it is actually useful". My curiosity overwhelmed my cynicism and I decided it was time to hit the self-help books once more.

After reading the book and applying the system to my own life for a couple of months, I can reaffirm my boss' findings; it is actually useful. What makes this book stand apart is that it is aimed at engineers, scientists, and the factually minded, with such principles as "get all of your ideas out of your head and on to paper where you can manipulate, process, and store them" and "constantly ask yourself what is the next action you can take in order to move a project forward". GTD is practical about these sorts of principles as well; the author never fails to give you detailed instructions on exactly how to get all of your ideas and obligations into your data management systems (and how to process them). This was quite refreshing, as I had almost started to take it for granted that self-help books were ideological rather than practical.

All of this sounds complicated, and to a certain extent it is. A reading of "Getting Things Done" and a look at its flowcharts (yes flowcharts) and chapter layout does much to make the system comprehensible, however. The basic principles aren't hard but implementing them can be a bit overwhelming. Yet, I am convinced that the results are worth it. You wouldn't believe the amount of relief that comes from taking all of the things floating in my brain and on my desk, and in my filing cabinets, and in my e-mail, and locking them into an airtight data system. I know where everything is (or rather, where to go to find out where everything is) and what needs to be done next, and exactly how. Put simply, it is the best self-help book I have ever read. Give it a try and see if it is to your tastes, it isn't for everyone. For those who can take to it, though, it is fantastic. 10/10

Okami (post: 1408439) wrote:I'm still working on Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis, but have also added. . . Jon Acuff's Stuff Christians Like.
I have just recently RSS'ed his site, and I love it. He is appropriately self-aware about Christian Culture's shortcomings and does a great job making fun of them, yet never dips into cynicism or vitriol.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:05 pm

[font="Garamond"]It's been so long, but I finished a couple. ^^ I found a new author, to me, and I absolutely adore her! >w< She has such memorable characters.

Georgette Heyer's :

Why shoot a butler?
No wind of blame
Envious Casca
Blunt Instrument
Behold, here is poison

--

I'm now reading Georgette Heyer's Cousin Kate and a collection of P.G Wodehouse shorts. (even though not all of them are shorts, but merely chapters taken from various books of his) [/font]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:06 pm

A Concise History of the Spanish Civil War by Paul Preston.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby knightlee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am

Finishing up Catching Fire and The Rise of Renegade X. Loving the former, not so much the latter.
A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus
Find me @ MAL.net (olivecrayola)
knightlee

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 am

Kushiel's Dart. Interesting start to the story- I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Got "How Not to Write a Novel" and "Frankenstein" from the library today...

(I didn't make a mistake by picking up Frankenstein, did I? 0.0 I've read some bad books before, unknowingly... but haven't heard a "This is a bad book" about this one.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:44 am

Frankenstein is written in that older style where the story is told in a different structure. However it was ok by me and man is the monster different then every movie I have seen (with possibly the exception of the De Nero one).
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:27 am

Blacklight (post: 1410986) wrote:(I didn't make a mistake by picking up Frankenstein, did I? 0.0 I've read some bad books before, unknowingly... but haven't heard a "This is a bad book" about this one.)

Trust me, reading Frankenstein isn't a mistake. It is nothing like the monster movies that you've probably got running around in your head. It is a little slow in some parts, but overall is a great story. Just... don't expect it to read like Dracula.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner