Studio Spotlight: Studio BONES

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Studio Spotlight: Studio BONES

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 am

So you want to find a new anime to watch, but have no idea what to look for in a new show. You have several shows that you've enjoyed and would like something in the same vein. Maybe it's the art and animation, or maybe it's the story. But you also want something that's kind of new and you're willing to take a little step outside your comfort zone. What do you do?

As with movies or TV shows, you look to the staff to provide some sort of starting point in your search, and anime is no different. Studios are sets of the people who directly influence what kind of show an anime is and chances are that two shows that a studio has worked on will share a lot of the same quirks and style.

My intention is to start a series of threads, each highlighting a different studio. Obviously, it'll be from my point of view with points of interest drawn from what I've watched. Luckily, I think I tend to watch a fairly wide spectrum of stuff, so there'll be something for everyone. Hopefully, it'll be educational and you'll be able to use it as a starting point to search for more shows and be a bit more adventurous in your animu viewing.

---
We begin with what should be a familiar name around here.

Started just before the 2000s by a couple of ex-Sunrise folk, BONES has risen to prominence with a fairly respectable body of works. They're known for their extremely fluid and consistent animation and their generally vivid choice of colour palette.

「約束の日」 by 「なーこ」

Yeah, it's these two guys. BONES' most popular shows are probably the two Fullmetal Alchemist anime adaptations. In spite of the fact that the story deviated from the manga, the first show, which aired in 2004, still remains one of the most popular. Though much of its popularity is because of Hiromu Arakawa's great writing, BONES gets credit for the impressive animation, particularly during fights.

「いっしょにいこう」 by 「aile」

Not too long after, in 2005, they went on to create what is arguably their most impressive work, Psalms of Planets: Eureka seveN. What we have is an excellent romance story combined with an excellent mecha show. This is also the show that made BONES famous for the holding hands, falling down the sky scene, as well as incredible aerial combat.

「全員集合!」 by 「アイカ」

In a turn away from the sort of sci-fi stuff they'd been doing, in 2006, BONES went on to adapt Ouran High School Host Club, a shoujo manga that parodies established shoujo tropes and cliches. They did an excellent job in adapting this one, even though it's unlike anything they'd done before. It's on my list of things I wish would get a second season.

「黒」 by 「日本円」

Darker than BLACK is another original series, which follows a group of seedy superhumans. Again, their animation prowess is on display, what with stuff like Hei swinging around everywhere and various other Contractors duking it out. The first season is also interesting because of its episodic nature.

「亡念のザムド」 by 「gock」

Xam'd Lost Memories is another original show, and this time, it's one that draws heavy inspiration from Eureka Seven. Though it was doomed to very little exposure by PSN exclusivity and it seemed handicapped by a shorter run, it's still a very solid show. Again, the impressive visuals and production make their mark.

「マカ」 by 「Dhiea」

Soul Eater is a shounen action show that some may accuse of being another Bleach. It's far more interesting and dynamic than Bleach and it sets on its own course pretty quickly. The style was an excellent match for BONES and that OP is an extremely impressive one in terms of quality and setting the mood for the show. One downside is the original ending, which likely stops any hope for a second season.

Hopefully, that gives you a taste of what they've done. Obviously, their full list of works is about twice as long, with stuff ranging from the excellent Sword of the Stranger, a samurai movie, to Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, which examines what happens if an 8.0 earthquake were to ever hit Tokyo. Evidently, they're big on action, but that's not all they do. They're a fairly accomplished studio and I'm sure that you can spend a fair amount of time exploring their older works.
blkmage

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:11 pm

I like Bones. They make beautiful work. But I can't believe you forgot to mention the audio masterpiece that is Rahxephon!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:17 pm

For such a relatively new studio, they established themselves as a big name very quickly. I think that getting the Cowboy Bebop movie was a stroke of absolutely great fortune for a 3-4 year old (at the time) animation studio. They truly capitalized on that opportunity and are, IMO, at the top of the second-tier of studios below the likes of I.G., Madhouse and Ghibli. For TV Series, Bones are one of my favorites and I trust them to put out good work. All of the shows blkmage mentioned are top quality stuff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:25 pm

I have to say that the only one that I'm familiar is Xam'd Lost Memories.

The ones that I remember the most are Angelic Layer, Wolf's Rain, The Skull Man, Heroman and Scrapped Princess.

Plus FMA and Ouran High School Host Club.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang [/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:26 pm

BONES is probably my favorite studio at the moment, and the studio that made me start paying attention to studios. FMA, Eureka Seven, Soul Eater, Ouran, Darker than Black, the studio has some of my early favorites that cemented my anime fandom beyond a couple of popular shonen shows.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Bones has made two of my favorite animes. Fullmetal alchemist (brotherhood as well) and Rahxephon
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:20 pm

I adore Bones for their many great works, but also because their style is so diverse! They don't just stick with one style of animation and stay with it, but rather they adapt. I think that's really awesome.
Of coure FMA: brotherhood, Eureka Seven, and Ouran are my current faves from this studio :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Ouran and Eureka Seven: good stuff.

I am sort of interested in Soul Eater and Darker than Black; maybe I should put those on my list.

Did Bones do Scrapped Princess? That was a series that had nice animation and started out really good, but kind of fizzled out by the end, if you ask me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Scrapped Princess was a BONES, yes.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Like I said, I can only (or rather, I feel like I can only) highlight shows I've seen, and RahXephon is not one of those shows.

Personally, I feel like BONES' strength is firmly in their animation. The writing and adaptations are generally solid, but there is some definite hit or miss. Endings do not seem to be their strong point, even for their original series. For adapted works that end before the story properly finishes, it's even more noticeable. For their original series, they have a pattern of throwing you into a world and slowly building up all the details to make it feel real. World-building is also something they're good at, but then when it's nearing the end they tend to dump a lot of information in an attempt to tie everything up.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:57 pm

BONES has some of the most amazing animation I've ever seen in an anime- it's consistently high-quality, and the productions are just amazing.

Some favorites of mine? Soul Eater, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Ouran Host Club, FMA, Sword of the Stranger

Some not- Scrapped Princess.

While I don't think I have seen enough of their anime to make a sound judgement, most of their productions seem to be very highly regarded, with the few that go through the cracks being the ones that give them a hit-or-miss name.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:04 pm

blkmage (post: 1408612) wrote:World-building is also something they're good at, but then when it's nearing the end they tend to dump a lot of information in an attempt to tie everything up.
And this is different from every other anime studio, how? :grin:

And what's with the hatin' on Scrapped Princess? I thought it was a solid show that, like many shows in the early 2000s, [spoiler]owes a hefty debt to the Matrix[/spoiler]. Pretty common (and IMO forgivable) flaw though. Granted, it could have done more with what it had, but what it did do was decent.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:12 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1408619) wrote:And this is different from every other anime studio, how? :grin:

They're different because they only suck at one of setting up a setting or writing an ending (hint: not setting).
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:46 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1408619) wrote:And this is different from every other anime studio, how? :grin:

And what's with the hatin' on Scrapped Princess? I thought it was a solid show that, like many shows in the early 2000s.

I had a few issues with it, mainly [spoiler]that even though her brother is a WORLD-CLASS SWORDSMAN he couldn't be bothered to teach her basic self-defense. So she was ALWAYS the damsel in distress. Didn't even put up a fight! So... lame.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Bones is probably my favorite studio at the moment. I haven't seen a lot of shows, but I have noticed that their animation is consistently top notch. Sword of the Stranger had some of the best animated fighting I have ever seen. FMA:B was just done well all around. The Cowboy Bebop movie was solid, if lacking a little in the Jazz department. And, say what you will about Darker Than Black, but it had great animation and fight scenes. Call me a fan.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:40 am

Atria35 (post: 1408628) wrote:I had a few issues with it, mainly [spoiler]that even though her brother is a WORLD-CLASS SWORDSMAN he couldn't be bothered to teach her basic self-defense. So she was ALWAYS the damsel in distress. Didn't even put up a fight! So... lame.[/spoiler]

My thoughts exactly. Also, the middle of the series came to a screeching halt when

[spoiler]Pacifica had amnesia, which I felt was totally unnecessary. I liked Fulle, he was an okay guy, but seriously? Way to go off on a tangent and ruin the pacing.[/spoiler]

Also I...don't even like Pacifica at all to be honest. "Wah wah, I should just die." Puh-leeze. :P However I did like Shannon and Raquel, and Leo. Oh, and Chris. Really, most of the characters were pretty strong.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that BONES is going for another mecha show with their new project for fall 2010, titled Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto.

Someone mentioned them getting the Cowboy Bebop movie. It was a pretty good move for them, but I'd imagine being a bunch of ex-Sunrise people (and likely included a bunch of people who worked on the show) was a huge factor in scoring the co-production, kind of like how GAINAX is co-producing Rebuild of Evangelion with Anno's new studio, Studio Khara.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:37 pm

blkmage (post: 1408806) wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that BONES is going for another mecha show with their new project for fall 2010, titled Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto.
Oh yeah. This came across my radar a little while back, but I totally forgot about it. Looks like it has some good people working on it, so I hope it gets picked up by CR or Funi. Also, a new mecha show'd be nice, since all we've had is Heroman so far in 2010.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:25 am

Giant robots + Studio Bones = YES PLEASE
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:23 pm

They did so well with Eureka 7 and Rahxephon, so we know they can do it right.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby minakichan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Should do one on SHAFT, my anime club is obsessed.

I like BONES, I think their stuff is generally rather mainstream and well-done. I don't think much of it is absolutely, life-changingly amazing to the point that they'd be an all-time favorite studio, but I feel that they're almost always above average.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:18 pm

ohohoho I do not think you have to worry about me skipping SHAFT
blkmage

Postby steenajack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Angelic Layer was also animated by BONES apparently. :3! They are pretty good. I plan on getting more into their works.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews