My quest to watch Anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

My quest to watch Anime

Postby Yukio Masachita » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:27 pm

I was going to make the title about Rurouni Kenshin, but I'm asking a small question about so I might as well re-use this thread for further questions of any other anime I watch.

To start off, I just watched the first episode of Rurouni Kenshin in english dubs. The review on this website recommended watching both the sub and dub versions but I read comments on youtube saying that dub is crappy.

I wasn't bothered if the dubs were bad though, probably because I'm used to it and I have worse voice acting such as the craptastic Zelda games for the CD-i console where Link talks like he's mentally challenged and the kind talks about dinner in the most innappropriate situations.
Yukio Masachita

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:42 pm

So your point is...? The review saying to watch both just means that the reviewer enjoyed both and thought they were equally good. And there are people on the internet who think that every dub is terrible.

Just watch whichever you want to. It really and honestly doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Also remember that there are two dubs for Kenshin, and one of them is awful no matter which way you slice it, with characters pronouncing names wrong and whatnot (they call Kenshin "Kenshi" or something).

Honestly both versions have their problems. I hate Kenshin's Japanese voice because it's way too girly...it works for the "prequel" episodes on the OAV, but not the TV show for me. However the dub has its own problems, including really bad voices and really bad acting.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm in agreement with Nate concerning Kenshin's voice in the original TV Japanese version. I enjoyed everything else in the sub, but I just can't get used to Kenshin's (what sounds like) middle aged woman's voice.
Concerning the dub (the old one, I think? I haven't heard the other one), it's okay. But the only reason I prefer it over the Japanese version is Kenshin's voice. Richard Hayworth is great for the role, in my opinion.

So, I guess it's whatever floats your boat. The dub isn't terrible (the one I watched anyways), but if you want to see the sub, go for it.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Kenshin's Japanese voice never bothered me. On the other hand, the dub has FUTAE NO KIWAMI AAAAAAAAAAAAAA. So really, you can't go wrong with either choice.
blkmage

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews