Is this true about arabs?

Talk about anything in here.

Is this true about arabs?

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:35 pm

[color="Plum"]Just curious, do arabs date or marry black americans? I heard they don't. Sorry if this is a stupid question.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Some might? I'm not sure I understand the question. It'd be like if I asked "Do whites date or marry black Americans?" I mean yeah some do but not most of 'em.

And I dunno if it would matter whether they did or didn't anyway.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:56 pm

[color="Plum"]The reason I asked because I'm a mixed black girl interested in dating/marrying one and wondering if they will look down on me because of my race. Again, I'm sorry I'm asking this question.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh okay that clears it up.

Honestly I have no idea. "Arab" comprises a lot of cultures from a lot of countries, so it's hard to say. It's kind of like "Hispanic" in a way, since could be from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba, lots of places, and all those countries have different cultures and whatnot.

I'd say though if you like the dude, go for it, doesn't matter what his family thinks. You're dating/marrying him, not his family. Besides they might warm up to you. I know when my mom and dad were dating, her father HATED my dad. He was military, and had dropped out of school at 13, and y'know, real strict, short hair, whatever. My dad had long hair, was in college, laid-back, a bit anti-authority...they got into fights all the time. Didn't help that my dad was Republican and her father was a hardcore Democrat. So they were always, ALWAYS arguing and fighting and at each other's throats (metaphorically).

But they learned to get alone and like each other eventually. So, people do change, and I think if his family really loves him and cares about him, they'll realize that if he wants to be with you, they should support that. One would hope, anyway.

But yeah, sorry I can't be of more help, but I do wish you the best of luck and hope they're really nice and accept you regardless. :3

Nate

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:51 pm

It depends on the arab. Sorry, but there are a lot of arabs out there, so one answer can't possibly hold true for all of them.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:01 am

Dude who cares. If people look down on you for the race of your partner/spouse then they suck as human beings.

Marry a Arab. Marry a White. Marry a Black. They're all human. Why is one different than the other? You can go marry a purple person for all I care. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:14 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1406558) wrote:Dude who cares. If people look down on you for the race of your partner/spouse then they suck as human beings.

Marry a Arab. Marry a White. Marry a Black. They're all human. Why is one different than the other? You can go marry a purple person for all I care. XD

Or a Flying Purple People Eater!!!! LMAO!!!
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby ashfire » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29 am

Sometimes it depends on the family's view because that can happen.
It can be a Romeo and Joliet thing.
ashfire

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:05 am

ashfire (post: 1406588) wrote:Sometimes it depends on the family's view because that can happen.
It can be a Romeo and Juliet thing.

Except we'd hope that they wouldn't die to be together at the end :lol:

But seriously, it depends on the person as to whether they'd date outside their culture/race/whatever.

Some families are racist. Fact of life. And it's in every race, not just Arabic people- personal anecdote: I had a friend (black) who was really crushing on a guy (white), and he liked her back.....But his very white, very racist family learned about her and the fact that she's black, and prayed to God that he wouldn't date her.... because she was black. And this guy decided that he wouldn't date my friend. This story happened last year. So it's not something that just Arabs do, it can happen in every family.

I'm not saying that this guy would turn you down because of his family. If his family even has objections- they might not care at all! But just know that if his family has issues, it's not just because they're Arabs.

I'd say go for it and ask him out. Worst-case scenario, he says no. Best case? He says yes! And that chance is totally worth it. Good luck!
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:21 am

Atria wrote:Some families are racist. Fact of life. And it's in every race, not just Arabic people

This.

I say date the guy if you like him, color be darned.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:23 am

Not to bring religion into this, but religion is probably more of a factor in this than race. If there are no religeous barriers, than the others should fall away easily. Well, relatvely easy.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:14 am

I agree with Mr. Smarty.

However, from my observations though Arab/black couples seem to be relatively rare. This could be because there aren't that many Arabs in America or due to the fact that people tend to be more prejudiced against Arabs.
Yamamaya

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:48 am

Nate (post: 1406532) wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhh okay that clears it up.

Honestly I have no idea. "Arab" comprises a lot of cultures from a lot of countries, so it's hard to say. It's kind of like "Hispanic" in a way, since could be from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba, lots of places, and all those countries have different cultures and whatnot.

I'd say though if you like the dude, go for it, doesn't matter what his family thinks. You're dating/marrying him, not his family.

Wow...That's not true at all. Yes you don't physically "marry" his/her family but you marry into it. So any problems that He/she has with their family are now your problems. You can't just ignore the person's family. I mean if your spouse's family hates you then that will make things very difficult, and will make visiting in-laws especially awful. It's probably better to back down a little. I'm not saying that you should say "oh well forget this guy" I'm just saying that if you really love him then you will want his family to love you too. My brother told me a similar account of his friend who was black and his girlfriend was white. Her family did not want her dating him. He told her "I love you and because I love you I don't want our relationship to go any farther until this thing with your family is settled." The parents respected this and decided to let him continue dating their daughter.

Nate wrote:Besides they might warm up to you.

Are you kidding? I mean she would basically be saying "Forget you! I'm marrying your son whether you like it or not!!" I doubt that the parents will even like her too soon, if ever, after that.

I realized after typing this that I probably sound like a jerk. Sorry, Nate if that is how it sounds I don't mean it that way.
Wolf-man

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:58 am

I don't agree with that at all, because then you get in a situation where it's like "I feel God is calling me to be a missionary" and your parents are all "Whoa forget THAT mess!" Sorry, but your family doesn't trump God's will. If God is leading them to date or marry and their family is against it, who do you listen to, their family or God? To me that's a pretty easy choice.

I can think of plenty of people who have in-laws who don't like them, and they've had very happy fulfilling marriages. The thing you have to learn is that some people are just jerks, family included, and you can't let them run your life. The Bible even says "a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." You can't be a mama's boy your whole life and let mommy and daddy tell you who to date/marry.

Nate

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:07 pm

[color="Plum"]I haven't met any arab guys or seen any lately and I never seen any around where I live now. The only ones I've seen were in a city I use to live in as a kid/very young teen and were working in stores. So, I haven't seen any since then.[/color]
FKA Selenite

Lilac#18

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Yeah, I'm with Nate on this one. If you meet the love of your life, but their family doesn't like you...marry the person anyway. That's what I did.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby armeck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:15 am

i have spent a LOT of time around arabs!!! and it depends, if they still live in the middle east but are visiting here, they might date (i have seen a arab date a mexican before) but they wont marry. if the arab lives here, well it varies from one person to the other, if this person is christian and lives here in america (assuming that is where you are from if you have said otherwise well there was a lot to read in this topic XD ), i doubt it will be any different than any other interracial marriage....
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:25 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1406558) wrote:Dude who cares. If people look down on you for the race of your partner/spouse then they suck as human beings.

Ryan...you didn't say it...YOU DIDN'T SAY IT!!! Fine, I'll say it for you: Race is a social construct.

As for the issue at hand, everyone has pretty much said what has to be said. Depending on the individual, race may or may not be a deciding factor. As for their family, I really wouldn't let them deter you. I'm sure somewhere in the world, an Arab Muslim converted to Christianity, got thrown out of his/her family and married a Christian individual who obviously his/her family didn't approve of.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby MBlight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:28 am

Just a question, though, and please tell me if it's too personal... but why do you particularly want to marry an arab guy? (There's nothing wrong with marrying one, but just a bit strange that you've chosen what "race" you want to marry... )
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 am

MBlight (post: 1406860) wrote:Just a question, though, and please tell me if it's too personal... but why do you particularly want to marry an arab guy? (There's nothing wrong with marrying one, but just a bit strange that you've chosen what "race" you want to marry... )

Personal prefence probably. Same way many white guys have a preference for Asians.
Yamamaya

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am

MBlight (post: 1406860) wrote:Just a question, though, and please tell me if it's too personal... but why do you particularly want to marry an arab guy? (There's nothing wrong with marrying one, but just a bit strange that you've chosen what "race" you want to marry... )

From the OP (and later posts) this is rather hypothetical. That being the case, let's please agree to move along. Phrases like this:

peanut wrote:Race is a social construct.

...while only mentioned as an aside, are the type of stray comment that incites rabbit trails and worse. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am

I guess I misunderstood, I thought it was that she was interested in this one particular dude she knew who happened to be Arab. @.@

Nate

Postby Lilac#18 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:49 pm

[color="Plum"]I rather not say. It's a little too personal. I'm sorry.[/color]
FKA Selenite

Lilac#18

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1406530) wrote:[color="Plum"]The reason I asked because I'm a mixed black girl interested in dating/marrying one and wondering if they will look down on me because of my race. Again, I'm sorry I'm asking this question.[/color]

You could just ask him out and see for yourself.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1406654) wrote:[color="Plum"]I haven't met any arab guys or seen any lately and I never seen any around where I live now. The only ones I've seen were in a city I use to live in as a kid/very young teen and were working in stores. So, I haven't seen any since then.[/color]

This part right here is kind of important, guys.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1406937) wrote:[color="Plum"]I rather not say. It's a little too personal. I'm sorry.[/color]

That's okay, Lilac. Just know that we support you marrying arabic guys!
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Atria35 (post: 1407021) wrote:That's okay, Lilac. Just know that we support you marrying arabic guys!

agreed!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 pm

So, you just want to marry one 'cause? Not that there is any particular guy that has caught your eye? It's probably not a great idea to limit your love search by race. Just... whoever you fall in love with. If he's Arabian, hey, awesome.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Lilac#18 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:06 pm

[color="Plum"]Oh no, not trying to limit my options, I was just interested in them and trying to expand my options. If I fall in love with any guy of any race, I fall in love with him. Sorry for not being clear before.[/color]
FKA Selenite

Lilac#18

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 am

Atria35 wrote:Just know that we support you marrying arabic guys!

I support her marrying anyone and everyone she wants! IT'S ALL GOOD!

Unless she wants to marry her toaster or something. But I don't think toasters can say "I do" or sign a legal contract so I don't think we have to worry about that one.

Nate

Next

Return to General