Thoughts on the weeaboo issue.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Thoughts on the weeaboo issue.

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Greetings folks. In this thread, I am going to define what a weeaboo is and give my thoughts on why people become a weeaboo.

First off, let's start with the definition. There seems to be a practice on the internet to label any enthusiastic anime fan/cosplayer as a weeaboo. However there is a firm difference between being an anime otaku(in the Japanese definition) than being a weeaboo. One can be an anime otaku without being a fan of Japan. One can be a weeaboo without being an anime fan.

A weeaboo is a white individual who desires to become Japanese mostly by cultural integration, changing their look, or copying the Japanese way. They tend to be extremely passionate about Japanese culture. They also tend to indulge heavily in Japanese pop culture. It can be assumed that this weeaboo does not have a strong racial identity at all. He/she may be indifferent to their race or they may wish they were born Japanese instead of Caucasion.

Actually this type of mindset is "somewhat" mirrored in Japanese society. Some Japanese people get surgery to look more "Western." Others have an obsession for Western culture and language(after all to them Western culture is as exotic as Eastern culture is to us).

Weeaboos feel this way for a variety of reasons.
1. A lack of acceptance or ability to fit in in American society. Weeaboos may feel that no one understands them or their hobbies. They are the dorks that are made fun of and cast aside. Hence, as a defense mechanism, they trick themselves into believing that they would fit in in Japanese society.

2. Japanophile. Japanophile refers to a love of Japan. It has been around for quite some time. For example, Lafcadio Hearn who was a Greek lived from 1850 to 1904. He became a Japanese citizen during the 1890s and is famous for the books on Japan he wrote. The weeaboo also feels a love for Japan that seems to exceed their love for their own native land. This may be due to the exotic appeal of Japan or to the idea that Japan is a far better land than America. It's similar to the kid(or adult) who wishes he could become a knight.

3. Lack of racial identity. Like I mentioned before, some white people tend to have a lack of a strong racial identity. Hence the idea of becoming another race would be more appealing to them than a proud person of Celtic background or an African American who is proud of their heritage.

4. Ignorance is bliss. It's comforting to think that out there there's a culture that will accept you completely with no ifs or buts. A culture where they believe they can receive things they believe their current culture denies them such as: romantic love, acceptance, and integration. This is why weeaboos may be very defensive when issues about Japan are brought up. They have to defend their own image of what Japan is.

One reason why weeaboos are so despised among many anime fan groups is because they can make us look bad. They can be overly aggressive fanboys, rude, and generally present themselves in a "pathetic" way. Also people associate weeaboos with the rest of anime fans or Japan enthusiasts. Hence, anime fans try to separate themselves as much as possible from the weeaboos which leads to a delicate game of what practices define a weeaboo. An example would be, "So would you define learning Japanese just to play visual novels being a weeaboo?"

One thing we need to keep in mind is that that weeaboo like other words is somewhat of a sterotype. Some people who are not necessarily weeaboo may define themselves as such. I wanted this post to be about the more extreme weeaboos that we see at such events as Sakura con on forums, etc.

Feel free to add your thoughts, criticisms, kicks to the nether regions to this thread. :D
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about the ignorance part. I mean, anyone who knows the basics of the culture know that, while Americans might be looked upon more favorably than those from other cultures (from many first-hand accounts from personal friends- lucky them! They were in Japan!), outsiders to the culture are generally looked down upon or just not accepted readily. It's not a secret. And when their hobbies are what denies some natural-born citizens acceptance, it's hard to see how they'd be able to delude themselves into thinking that it would be easier there than here. Again, it's not secret and widely depicted/talked about in anime and other places that being an otaku (as defined by Japan) isn't socially acceptable.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:24 pm

^You do have a point but I have seen many forum posts and comments from people of how much better Japan is than America and how they want to live there etc.

Also the delusion Japan is happy fun time anime land still exists among some.
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1400494) wrote:^You do have a point but I have seen many forum posts and comments from people of how much better Japan is than America and how they want to live there etc.

Also the delusion Japan is happy fun time anime land still exists among some.

That's just sad. I guess there's some in every bunch. :eyeroll:
Atria35

Postby teigeki_calesa » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:32 pm

3. Lack of racial identity. Like I mentioned before, some white people tend to have a lack of a strong racial identity. Hence the idea of becoming another race would be more appealing to them than a proud person of Celtic background or an African American who is proud of their heritage.

Not just with whites. This is a common problem with the Filipino anime community, or with young Filipinos in general. Since we're practically a mishmash of different races, they tend to have the mindset that the Philippine identity is nothing more than a patriotic delusion and that the US or Japan is infinitely better. Which is further reinforced by expats bragging to the poor folks back home that it's way better in their new country.

Honestly, this thinking saddens me a lot.
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:23 am

Things like this are a common trait of teenagers, who are trying to define their own identity and may be socially marginalized to some degree. When they find something they identify with, they cling to it with all the zeal that is typical of very young people.

Most of these people usually mellow out with age, but sometimes that fondness for whatever they were clinging to (Japanese things, American things; doesn't matter what) will stay with them for life.

Anyway, there are many worse things to be than a Japanophile, or a Francophile, or an Anglophile. Let the kids have their fun. You're only young once.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:28 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1400646) wrote:Anyway, there are many worse things to be than a Japanophile, or a Francophile, or an Anglophile. Let the kids have their fun. You're only young once.

Of course. I never said it was a terrible thing. However it can be a bad thing when said Francophile or weeaboo visits France/Japan and realizes it isn't the perfect place in the world.

(I tend to be anti nationalism in general but that's wandering into the political spectrum).
Yamamaya

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 pm

I really don't like the term "weeaboo." It just sounds silly and doesn't particularly make any sense. And it was popularized on a website that gets far more attention than they actually deserve. I would think Japanophile would get the point across just fine, without sounding derogatory, like "weeaboo" usually is.

That said, I don't disagree with your actual analysis.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:43 pm

I also don't like that term. In fact, I hate it. Notice how I didn't use it in my post? XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Atria35 wrote:outsiders to the culture are generally looked down upon or just not accepted readily

So...exactly like America, then?
And when their hobbies are what denies some natural-born citizens acceptance, it's hard to see how they'd be able to delude themselves into thinking that it would be easier there than here. Again, it's not secret and widely depicted/talked about in anime and other places that being an otaku (as defined by Japan) isn't socially acceptable.

Actually, they don't see it that way, and for the simple reason that our culture is too overprotective and shielding of children. You can't have blood, language, or nudity in American children's cartoons. You can in Japanese children's cartoons. Since they were raised in America, they get this idea that violence nudity and language = adult, even though this isn't true at all. So the fact that Naruto, for example, has people dying and Naruto doing Sexy no Jutsu and blood, then clearly it isn't for children and Japan makes mature cartoons for mature individuals such as myself.

...except that it IS for children, Naruto is a children's show, it's just they have less restrictive standards on the type of content children can view. They're still stuck viewing things in American terms, because that's the culture they're most familiar with. So they get it in their heads that "Japan knows cartoons aren't just for children, and I understand this because I'm not like these dumb Americans." And to be sure, there is a lot of anime and manga that isn't for children. I'm not saying Japan views that stuff as just for kids either. But it isn't exactly socially acceptable to go around constantly proclaiming your love for those things.

But they don't see that, because they've never been to Japan. And you've got to admit, when stuff happens like Doraemon being appointed Minster of Tourism (or whatever it was) it's pretty easy to see why they think that being into anime is socially acceptable in Japan.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Nate (post: 1400766) wrote:So...exactly like America, then?

Yeah, pretty much! :lol:

But they don't see that, because they've never been to Japan. And you've got to admit, when stuff happens like Doraemon being appointed Minster of Tourism (or whatever it was) it's pretty easy to see why they think that being into anime is socially acceptable in Japan.

For every Doraemon that gets elected in anime, there's two of the guys like the one in Chaos;Head that are social outcasts or just social oddballs.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:39 pm

No, no, I meant Doraemon was, in real life, literally elected that. Hold on.

Ah here we go. "In 2008, the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs appointed Doraemon as the first anime cultural ambassador." There's even a thread about it around here somewhere I think. But that's what I was referring to.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Since people are actually discussing this topic, I'd like to add my input concerning this statement:
Yamamaya wrote: 4. Ignorance is bliss. It's comforting to think that out there there's a culture that will accept you completely with no ifs or buts. A culture where they believe they can receive things they believe their current culture denies them such as: romantic love, acceptance, and integration. This is why weeaboos may be very defensive when issues about Japan are brought up. They have to defend their own image of what Japan is.

I very much doubt that a person can be considered a "weaboo" (on your terms) and not be an anime fan or at least know about it. Otherwise, where are they getting their picture of Japan?
It's a common error among people who skipped their Asian culture and history class (or didn't watch some documentary on it) to assume that everything in anime is exactly how it is over in Japan. It is not; not even the dialect of Japanese that is used in most anime is used in everyday speech. But, most people who are considered "weaboos" think it is perfectly natural for Japanese people to go around yelling "kawaii" or "sugoi" all day. (which they do not unless they are very small children)

Anyway, back to my previous point. These "weaboos" had to get their image of Japan from somewhere. And, what fits the most with how they view the world is what is in anime. Otherwise, if they are just going to choose a country to consider the "perfect country" without any facts whatsoever, why not someplace else? Why Japan?

Also, I agree with what Nate said.
goldenspines

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 pm

So, is it still a weeaboo too want to be in middle earth?(For science, people) What origin is that word anyway? Why don't people go around yelling Sugoi or kawaii? Why does Nate leave out the sarcasm when speaking about electing anime characters to public office? XD

To the "exactly like America" comment, I think America's case is slightly different, in that it is more of a rights of passage than xenophobia, (Give or take the kooks here and there, of course.) since every culture had equally destructive forces against it as it came to the land.
I think it's obvious that anyone of weaboo status(mebbe it's Australian...) needs to take some classes. There are magnificent things about every culture, as well as negatives, but the good is worth accepting.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 am

Rusty Claymore wrote:What origin is that word anyway?

The word "weeaboo" comes from a Perry Bible Fellowship comic that originally had absolutely nothing to do with Japanese culture or anime. The comic is here:

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF071-Weeaboo.gif

Before the term "weeaboo" I think the term used most often was "Wapanese." Probably what happened was someone on 4ch used the PBF comic in reference to someone obsessed with Japan, and it just caught on.
Why don't people go around yelling Sugoi or kawaii?

For the same reason people don't go around yelling "COOL" or "CUTE" in America.
Why does Nate leave out the sarcasm when speaking about electing anime characters to public office? XD

Man because you can't make up stuff like this!
I think America's case is slightly different, in that it is more of a rights of passage than xenophobia

Nope, in America's case, it's just flat-out racism. But my comment was originally meant as a passing remark, and it's off-topic and I'd really rather not get into an argument over it.
There are magnificent things about every culture, as well as negatives, but the good is worth accepting.

I don't think anyone here is saying "Japan sucks and it's awful and they need to realize that!" I think we're saying that obsession with anything is really unhealthy, and that they're creating an idyllic utopia in their minds when Japan really isn't one at all. There's nothing wrong with enjoying anime or liking Japan or wanting to visit or live there. There IS something wrong with thinking "When I get older I'll move to glorious Nippon because (country I live in now) is stupid and Japan will accept me and love me because I enjoy their children's cartoons!"

Nate

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:33 am

This has been my thought on it for years. I won't lie, when I was a kid I thought the Japan depitcted in annamay was, if not completely accurate, pretty close to wonderful. It's something that a lot of the die-hards spend at least a month wondering on. Still, I wouldn't judge any culture based on their media. Our country is nothing like Everybody Loves Raymond, The OC, or even any of a number of reality television shows.

Do I argue this with these kids, though? No. Most of them will never go to Japan. They'll grow out of it, or realize the same thing most functioning adults do and stop obsessing so hard - even out. The ones that DO go? Well, I hope they enjoy it. The shellshock will wear off eventually.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 am

One thing many "weeaboos" fail to realize is that anime is as much a form of escapism(to a certain degree) to the Japanese as it is to them.

It would be like if a Japanese person went to Springfield IL and was disappointed that it wasn't like the Simpsons.

As for discussion on the term itself, I merely used it since it's a masssive internet term that has come to define a white person who wants to become Japanese.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:54 am

This thread just...kinda makes me sad.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:08 pm

*hugs Shiroi*
I kind of think this probably shouldn't have been brought up in the first place...
Ante Bellum

Postby Cloud500 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Um, this might sound kind of rude, but I'm just confused as to what the purpose of this thread is.
Cloud500

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:49 pm

I've never seen a weaboo,
I hope I never see one.
But just between me and you,
I'd rather see, than be one.

Sorry! Couldn't help it!
I think Yamamaya was just seeing if his deductions were close, and what others have to say on the issue.
@Nate: yeah, my wording that failed. Good thing I don't keep track of that, else I'd be mega depressed lol
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1400870) wrote:This thread just...kinda makes me sad.

I'm sorry. It was unintentional. :(

Yes that was my purpose RustyClaymore.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Yamamaya wrote:It would be like if a Japanese person went to Springfield IL and was disappointed that it wasn't like the Simpsons.

Except that Springfield isn't in Illinois.

First of all, Springfield is by the ocean, and Illinois isn't near the ocean. Second, the West Springfield desert is three times as big as Texas, and Illinois doesn't have a desert, much less one three times as big as Texas. Springfield also has a mountain range and a glacier.

Finally, in the Simpsons Movie, Flanders says that the four states that border Springfield are Ohio, Nevada, Maine, and Kentucky. Last I checked Illinois doesn't border some of those. :p

YES I KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT I AM JUST PEDANTIC ABOUT SIMPSONS TRIVIA. D:

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Nate (post: 1401025) wrote:Except that Springfield isn't in Illinois.

First of all, Springfield is by the ocean, and Illinois isn't near the ocean. Second, the West Springfield desert is three times as big as Texas, and Illinois doesn't have a desert, much less one three times as big as Texas. Springfield also has a mountain range and a glacier.

Finally, in the Simpsons Movie, Flanders says that the four states that border Springfield are Ohio, Nevada, Maine, and Kentucky. Last I checked Illinois doesn't border some of those. :p

YES I KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT I AM JUST PEDANTIC ABOUT SIMPSONS TRIVIA. D:

Yamamaya

Postby Lynna » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:39 am

Nate (post: 1400833) wrote:For the same reason people don't go around yelling "COOL" or "CUTE" in America.

They don't?
If you've ever seen someone walking around with a puppy/kitten so cute that it's scary ( which I have seen) I think you might have to change your mind
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 am

Lynna (post: 1402070) wrote:They don't?
If you've ever seen someone walking around with a puppy/kitten so cute that it's scary ( which I have seen) I think you might have to change your mind

It would be rather odd if an American went around saying, "IT'S SO CUTTTTEEEEEEE" every five seconds.

But a scarily cute kitty is an exception :P
Yamamaya

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:19 am

While simultaneously kowtowing to peer pressure and steadfastly refusing to snark, the staff have discussed this, and we feel the formula of:

accomplishments / (opinions * argumentum ad [populum|numeroum])

is close enough to zero that the purpose has been accomplished.

Have a nice day. XD
Mithrandir

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews