Iyashikei: The Healing Genre

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Iyashikei: The Healing Genre

Postby Cadence » Mon May 31, 2010 1:57 pm

I noticed that there is a thread here dedicated to the wonderful Aria series, and that inspired me to make a thread dedicated to the iyashikei genre in general.

Iyashikei is my personal favorite genre of anime and manga, or sub-genre, if you will, since what defines iyashikei is a bit elusive and, in a way, deeply personal. I guess you could say that, rather than a genre based on content, iyashikei can be defined by the mood or mental state it puts you in. Iyashikei is the “healing genreâ€
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:57 pm

Aria has to be my top one. It's relaxing and overall feel-good. It gives me the warm fuzzies *^>^*

Yotsuba&! is also it for me. I love how it takes time to see the world through the eyes of a child (albeit, one that's a little bit of an airhead). But it takes time to make everyone look smart and a bit stupid, and reminds me that we're all a bit silly and fallible, and that it shouldn't be taken all seriously or you miss out on things like that.

Ah! My Goddess (tv series)- sweet, slow, simple, no major dramas or problems (except what they exaggerate for comedy). It's just.... nice.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon May 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Aria's a personal favourite, but I think Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the series that is exactly what iyashikei is all about. I feel like it's even more melancholy and mono no aware than Aria. It's basically the daily life of an android who's running a coffee shop in a post-apocalyptic world.

And of course, there's 5 Centimeters per Second. It's certainly got the same mono no aware vibe even if it's arguable how much healing gets done after watching it.

There's also a visual novel called Narcissu that's very much in the same vein as all of these that I enjoy pushing (because it's also free!).

Anyhow, I really enjoy these, particularly because it's something unique that's really only found among Japanese works.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 31, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm kind of new to this genre, but I do love Natsume Yuujinchou (again, Cadence, nice avatar!). I would recommend it to anybody, as I can attest to the spiritual healing/refreshment that watching it can provide.

Would Mushishi be considered a part of the healing genre?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon May 31, 2010 7:41 pm

I would have to add the Only Yesterday movie that was mentioned in the article Cadence linked to. I really hope someone brings that over here one day. It's a lovely story - and it has sentimental value for me, personally, because I actually lived in Yamagata, which is where it takes place, for about a year.

In that vein, I'd say My Neighbor Totoro would qualify here, and that's one that I absolutely adore.

This one might be a bit angsty for this specific genre, but since we're counting 5 cm per second, I guess I'll go out on a limb: Victorian Romance Emma. Very gentle, soothing and feel-good.

Now, I've only seen the first few episodes, so it may veer off this course later, but the beginning of Kobato feels rather like this as well.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon May 31, 2010 8:00 pm

I think this genre is a little different for everybody. XD I would say Fruits Basket(anime) and I'll add Whisper of the Heart to Totoro. They really make me feel better when I watch them! Some eps of FB ommitted of course XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:17 pm

blkmage (post: 1397942) wrote:Aria's a personal favourite, but I think Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the series that is exactly what iyashikei is all about. I feel like it's even more melancholy and mono no aware than Aria.

Iyashikei is a personal thing. There are people out there who dislike Aria, YKK, and Natsume's Book of Friends, and would instead define their's by an action or horror anime or manga. So....
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 pm

Iyashikei shows are not simply those that make you feel better. There are tons of shows that make me feel great. Something that I've alluded to that I feel like is fairly tightly coupled with iyashikei is the concept of mono no aware. It's something a lot more subtle that separates things like ARIA or Natsume Yuujinchou from stuff like (since it was brought up) Fruits Basket. There is definitely a mode of storytelling and atmosphere to iyashikei and isn't something that's ill-defined and changes from person to person.

I use YKK as an example of what I consider as the pinnacle of the genre, in the same way I'd choose, say, Gundam as the pinnacle of the real robot genre. That's not to say that ARIA isn't iyashikei or that ARIA is terrible. Rather, I'm saying, if you liked ARIA because of this particular genre, here's a series I consider better at it and you might want to check out. You might not end up thinking it's as great as I think it is, but oh well.
blkmage

Postby Cadence » Mon May 31, 2010 8:33 pm

blkmage (post: 1397942) wrote:Aria's a personal favourite, but I think Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the series that is exactly what iyashikei is all about. I feel like it's even more melancholy and mono no aware than Aria. It's basically the daily life of an android who's running a coffee shop in a post-apocalyptic world.

How did I even start this thread without mentioning YKK? Thanks, blkmage! I would have to agree that it pretty much sums up what iyashikei is.
Cadence

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon May 31, 2010 8:40 pm

Ah, ok. n.n When I can I'll check these titles out so I can understand.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby J.R. » Mon May 31, 2010 8:57 pm

Iyashikei is a genre to bounce to, particularly after you just finished something depressing. XD
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews