Favorite "filler" episodes

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Favorite "filler" episodes

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes....in anime, some of us dread the "filler" episodes. However, I still give props to the Japanese for making an ACTUAL episode to fill the season, instead of clip-shows like we Americans. XD!!!!!

And as a result, SOME filler episodes are actually quite good! They may fall into the catagory as one of your favorites!

So, do you have any favorite episodes that might count as a "filler"? And be sure to put spoiler tags if you talk about why you like it, because though it is filler, they may still discuss main plotline, OR it might be extremely hilarious and you don't want to ruin it for anyone else so they can laugh too!

Let us begin....

Angelic Layer "Summertime at the Sea! Someone is in Love With Someone!"
This was a really nice episode, it was good to see everyone taking a day off from playing the game and just hanging out. Also....
[spoiler]This is when Tamayo-chan confesses her love to Koutaro-chan! That scene is pretty emotional, I was almost brought to tears myself![/spoiler]

Tsubasa Chronicles "Mokona The Artist"
Some people consider this a filler episode (even though there IS a feather in that world) but that episode is just SO HILARIOUS! I mean...
[spoiler]THEY'RE ALL IN PERMANANT CHIBI MODE!!!! And Mokona is in control of the story, and the story she writes to get them out...oh man....best episode EVER!!!!![/spoiler]

"A Warm Smile"
Though it's kind of a filler episode, it is important, 'cause we get to see alot of Syaoran and Sakura's memories as children. Plus, the first revealing of 2 of Mokona's 108 secret talents!

I'll post more later...
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Nate » Wed May 26, 2010 5:27 pm

For all the hideously awful filler One Piece has endured (that Apis crap ARGH IT IS SO BAD), the G8 arc right after Skypeia was actually really good.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cadence » Wed May 26, 2010 6:38 pm

The beard episode of Dennou Coil was brilliant.
Cadence

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

I really love the Warehouse 13 episode of FullMetal Alchemist. XD

Also, I remember enjoying some of the filler in Rurouni Kenshin's first arc. Most of the filler in Full Moon wo Sagashite was also enjoyable. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed May 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Mine was an FMA "filler" too. The Fullmetal vs. Flame episode, which, really, most of the story DID happen in the manga...just in the omakes. It was highly entertaining, though!
Wyntre Rose

Postby MightiMidget » Wed May 26, 2010 7:41 pm

Bleach might be about 70% painful filler (or so it seems), but I absolutely adore the Princess Lurichiyo/aristocracy filler arc. I look greatly forward to when the licensing gets up to that season, it was just so charming. =)
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

.... I'm sure this has something to do with my post in the Anime Pet Peeves thread.

In any case, yes, I think there is some great filler out there. For instance, the vast majority of the uncut version of Cardcaptor Sakura (wow, originally I put Sailor Moon, and that's SO totally not what I meant >.>") is total filler, yet rounds out the manga and brings the story to life in ways that the cut and manga.... lack.

I, too, love the beard episode of Dennou Coil.

And most of Ouran Host Club. Why? Because half of the stuff is what's traditionally considered filler. However, Ouran makes it work, which is why it is fabulous as a series on it's own and a parody of the shoujo genre.
Atria35

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:07 pm

I don't know if OVAs released in between regular seasons count as "filler," but I like the bonus episodes of K-On! much more than most of the ones actually based on the manga. One goes into more detail about the inner workings of the band than the rest of the show put together, while the other is the only time Mugi is ever given any recognizably human characteristics.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed May 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Atria35 (post: 1396860) wrote:.... I'm sure this has something to do with my post in the Anime Pet Peeves thread.

Actually, it doesn't. XD!!! I kinda had the idea when watching Angelic Layer, but what you said in the thread reminded me to post it. XD!!!!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1396870) wrote:Actually, it doesn't. XD!!! I kinda had the idea when watching Angelic Layer, but what you said in the thread reminded me to post it. XD!!!!!

Well, at least I was helpful? :lol:
Atria35

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water: I have to admit, I enjoyed some of the "Infamous Island Episodes". Granted most of them had HORRIBLE animation, for the most part, they were okay.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit: Episodes 10-12 were really nice filler episodes, in that they actually developed the character of Chagum beyond being the awkward lost prince we were introduced to earlier. It also helps enhance the relationship between Tanda and Balsa.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 am

Definitely episode 37 of the first FMA :grin: "The Flame Alchemist, the Bachelor Lieutenant, and the 13th Warehouse," or something like that. Three little stories about Mustang and his crew, and a whole episode of awesome hilarity. Seriously, when I feel really depressed all I have to do is pop in that episode and I instantly feel better ^_^ Even so, there's a scene or two in that episode that contribute to the main plot, so even that filler episode isn't as useless as Mustang in the rain. I also liked episode 13, though it didn't seem quite as filler-ish as the other one.

I don't know if OVAs count, but if they do, then I'd also add all the FMA: Brotherhood OVAs :lol: They're awesome! I think my favorite one is the one about Izumi's training. "Here, you dropped your bear." rofl

Hmm...I guess most of the animes I watch are too short to have much filler. I think there was an episode of Trigun that might fit the bill, but it's been way too long for me to remember what it was.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 am

My favorite fillers were the ones that let the characters grow. This is why I like the pacing in Eureka 7 and Naruto so much.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 27, 2010 6:53 am

I don't think it's filler if it involves character development, or any plot development. Filler is something that won't change anything of the status quo in the world, not just a slow paced episode or one that doesn't move the plot. The only episode of Eureka Seven that could even be construed as maybe filler would be the soccer episode. Which was great, by the way.

Episode 13 of the original FMA isn't filler, but 37 definitely is, and both are great, if only because Arakawa wrote them.

And for shame, CAA. Not a single mention of Toys in the Attic? What is happening to us when Toys in the Attic is not mentioned when it comes to filler?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1396949) wrote:And for shame, CAA. Not a single mention of Toys in the Attic? What is happening to us when Toys in the Attic is not mentioned when it comes to filler?

Oh man. You know, I don't even think of that episode as filler, because I love it so much. XD Since Bebop is a relatively short series, I view most of those episodes as standalone content, but not necessarily filler, I guess, even though it's not important to the overall story. XD If that's the case, though, definitely Toys in the Attic. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Thu May 27, 2010 11:40 am

AnimeGirl wrote:I still give props to the Japanese for making an ACTUAL episode to fill the season, instead of clip-shows like we Americans. XD!!!!!

I missed this the first time. You haven't watched much anime, have you? TONS of anime do clip-shows. It's not an American thing.

Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu May 27, 2010 11:45 am

Not one person in this thread mentions the Samurai Champloo baseball episode.

I am disappointed in all of you.
KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1396920) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water: I have to admit, I enjoyed some of the "Infamous Island Episodes". Granted most of them had HORRIBLE animation, for the most part, they were okay.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
I will never understand you.
Fish and Chips

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu May 27, 2010 11:58 am

Definately a lot of the Rurouni Kenshin fillers (not counting episodes 66-95 XD) although some of them were interesting but when an entire season is filler...it doesn't work well.

I did love the episode when Kenshin and the others go to a circus...and they all have to help out the circus performers. Haha! That was a great one.

Also the little three episode filler portion where Kenshin and Shuga (I think that's her name) the pirate chick fight against a mutany. I remember first watching the first episode of that portion of the series. It was on a Friday and I had to wait three days to find out what happened next! D8

Also- When Kenshin "proposes" to Kaoru...pffft. Although I'm still not sure if that episode was serious or not? :P

Hmm... other than that I'm just not a huge fan of filler. I absolutely hate the Wolf's Rain "Let's have four remembrance shows in a row! Clipping together various scenes about each character!" They were a little much in my opinion.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1396999) wrote:I will never understand you.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]And you're only realizing this NOW?! After all the years I've been on this forum, you only just realizing that my understandability is under 9,000? Shame on you sir. SHAME!

Anyway, I'm not sure if this counts as an OFFICIAL filler episode, but "The Lunar Flying Squirrels" episode from "Planetes" is my favorite, if for no other reason then the idea of space ninjas on the moon. Yes I said "space ninjas on the moon". No I have not been dipping into the happy sauce. [/color][/SIZE][/font]

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Nate » Sun May 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Well there goes my interest in that show, I had heard Planetes was one of the most realistic space anime that existed. Now that I know it's stupid random nonsense, I have no desire to watch it.

Nate

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun May 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Nate (post: 1397631) wrote:Well there goes my interest in that show, I had heard Planetes was one of the most realistic space anime that existed. Now that I know it's stupid random nonsense, I have no desire to watch it.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]
PLEASE tell me you're being sarcastic! "Planetes" is well worth your time and you will not be disappointed! It was just that one episode in the early part of the series, trust me on this! And if you don't trust me on this, that mean's you don't trust black people and that makes you a racist, so there. :lol:

((Please note that the above was just a joke and not ment to be taken seriously--except that part about "Planetes"...that was serious. GO WATCH IT!))[/color][/SIZE][/font]

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Nate (post: 1397631) wrote:Well there goes my interest in that show, I had heard Planetes was one of the most realistic space anime that existed. Now that I know it's stupid random nonsense, I have no desire to watch it.

It is no way is stupid, random nonsense. It's very realistic, and very awesome. I have no idea where 'space ninjas and flying squirrels' comes from (it really was unnecessary filler), but don't let one episode fool you.
Atria35

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 pm

I'd argue that Angelic Layer has no filler. Even that episode you mentioned, animegirl, has some character development that impacts future events. The definition of a filler episode is something that has no impact on the plot at all (sometimes is also used to refer to "content that does not appear in the manga")

The episode where Lina and Amelia sing in Slayers Next is the best episode in the entire series. I've watched it so many times. Completely hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-08x_zzGSo&feature=related And I think the dub is a lot funnier, just for getting to hear Crispin Freeman sing.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Best filler episodes ever of FMA:
"Fullmetal vs. Flame"
This was so funny!! I couldn't stop laughing!! [spoiler]Al hiding a kitty inside of him, Fury trying to get someone to take care of a puppy (especially Mustang's "I love dogs" scene), and Mustang saying "That day, all female officers will be required to wear....TINY MINI-SKIRTS!" XD!!!!![/spoiler]

"Flame Alchmist, Lieutenant Bachalor, Warehouse 13"
This is actually 3 different stories in one episode, the second being the best [spoiler]Havoc's imagination of what Armstrong's baby sister would look like had me laughing so hard I almost missed the dialogue XD!!!![/spoiler]

AnimeGirl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:09 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1396795) wrote:Angelic Layer "Summertime at the Sea! Someone is in Love With Someone!"
This was a really nice episode, it was good to see everyone taking a day off from playing the game and just hanging out. Also....
[spoiler]This is when Tamayo-chan confesses her love to Koutaro-chan! That scene is pretty emotional, I was almost brought to tears myself![/spoiler]

I fully agree! :) That was a very good episode. And even though it might be "filler" (since it doesn't really add to the main story), I still say it was important for character development, because...

[spoiler]It *is* the episode where she finally confesses her love[/spoiler]

So it's filler, but it's still important filler.

I thought a lot of the Cardcaptor Sakura episodes were filler, but I rather enjoyed them all anyway. I'm actually debating re-watching the show.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Avatar The Last Airbender "The Ember Island Players"
They see a play in the Fire Nation that paradies their entire journey. It's really hilarious 'cause of how their characters and the events are inaccurately portrayed XD!!

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles "Sakura Works"
Yes, this is one of the episode where it strayed from the manga, but out of all the manga-straying episode set that follows after Record, I actually liked this one because

[spoiler]It was just so funny how Syaoran, Kurogane, and Fai couldn't find work, but Sakura kept getting hired, despite the bad economy XD!!![/spoiler]

AnimeGirl

Postby airichan623 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Naruto Shippuden I really liked the filler arc that was about the 'fake kyuubi host' kid, because I think it added more detail to the characters. And the one about the six tails: he's hot. :3

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I think you can call some of the episodes in the middle of Ergo Proxy filler, right? At least, they didn't move the main plot forward, though they often developed the characters a bit with the whole "Who am I really?" thing.

Anyway, I liked them overall, especially the Ophelia episode and the one where they're stuck in doldrums. The game show one...not so much :/
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:27 am

airichan623 (post: 1448724) wrote:Naruto Shippuden I really liked the filler arc that was about the 'fake kyuubi host' kid, because I think it added more detail to the characters. And the one about the six tails: he's hot. :3

Hahahaha Thanks for making my day. :jump: I was scanning to see who would list a Naruto Shuppuden episode since there are so many. (I've never actually watched the show,lol)
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby A88mph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:03 pm

I think at the time of this post, my favorite Fillers come from Shugo Chara.

First, Episode 34 "Really!? Big Adventure to the Haunted Mansion!"

[spoiler="SC Ep. 34"] [color="Black"]This was the episode that put the whole "If you do not believe in your Charas, then we disapear" fact into perspective. While some of the characters Charas were sealed in their eggs form time to time, they never actually went the distance. This episode show us what would happen if any of the characters thought the whole "following dreams" thing was really worth nothing.[/color] [/spoiler]

Episode 58 "Panic in Class Plum!"

[spoiler="SC Ep. 58"] [color="Black"]This was a cute episode. Since all the little kids in this episode have, what I have come to call, Quantum Leap Vision, caos ensues. Especially when one of the kids falls under Lulu's spell (Though you really can't tell.) Then when Amu tries to purify his heart, she can't. then when the boy finnishes what he wanted to do, he purifys himself! LOL :)[/color] [/spoiler]

Finally, Episode 61 "Notice Kiran's Feelings!"

[spoiler="SC Ep. 61"] [color="Black"]This episode also show the chara fading thing, but this time for a diffrent reason. This episode deals with a girl losing her chara by accident and all the other charas are trying to find the lost chara's owner. while they are looking, the lost chara starts to fade, and I felt a sence that they were not going to make it. While I like that they were reunited at the end of the episode, personaly I think that it could have had a bigger impact if it ended with the Chara fading from existence. In an earlier episode, we saw Ikuto easily cruch an X-Egg showing how easily our dream can be crushed by others. This could have shown us how easily we can give up on our dreams on our own. Ep. 34 dose it's job of showing how we can give new hope to our dreams, while this one could have shown the hopeless end.[/color] [/spoiler]
A88mph

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews