Anime Conventional Wisdom for a Newbie

Talk about anything in here.

Anime Conventional Wisdom for a Newbie

Postby airichan623 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:29 pm

So this summer I will be attending my first con!:dizzy::dance: Any tips for a first timer- places or scenarios to avoid, glomp warnings :hug:, whatever. Even advice from the Christian perspective would b helpful.

I'm not gonna say which one, but its a relatively small con, with a max capacity of around 3,000. So this isnt Otakon or AnimeExpo. :(

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 pm

One, maybe it is a good idea to avoid giving "Free Hugs" to strangers.

Two, make sure to bring some soap.

Three, avoid sketches or shows that you know that would not agree with your beliefs. (look on the cons website for info on what they are providing)

Four, make sure to bring extra money for swag (figures, dolls, shirts, etc.) and food and medical needs

Five, bring something for a voice actor or some sort of celebrity that you like to sign for you
That is all I have for now. I know it is not what you may not exactly be wanting, but at least the advice is not totally useless.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Falx » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 am

Food sold at conventions is usually both terrible and overpriced, buy something outside to take in with you. Buy a bottle of mineral water and refill it from drinking fountains if they have any... you will be thirsty and it saves money from buying drinks.

If it's a multiple day convention, check out first to see if the stuff you want is selling very well and if it looks like it might sell out, get in line if you have to. Otherwise wait until the last day as most people will either drop their prices to avoid having to cart it back or be willing to haggle.

Scantily-clad men and women in cosplay outfits will be there, so prepare yourself for that if you have to.

Go outside to get some fresh air every now and then, the inside of a con usually is full of stale/humid air that breeds infection despite air-cons.

Stick to your budget, no matter how tempting it is to go over and get just that one thing more, you won't want to be caught without bus/train/cab fare or having to go hungry!

Other than that I can't think of anything, be on the lookout for flash sales, competitions and other surprises and you'll definitely have fun.

Edit: Oh right, remember headache tablets and something for sore throats and/or nasal spray and some soothing eye-drops. If it's heavily air-conned your face will be dried out like a prune and hurting.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu May 20, 2010 5:00 am

If they have a Consuite (Place where they offer free food and drinks.), make sure to use it. It might not be more than some rice or chips, but I remember one year where I hadn't had and breakfast. That morning, the staff hauled out a huge box of bagels for us, free. So, while the Suite isn't exactly something you should use in place of real food, it's still something to take advantage of.

Keep hydrated, especially if they have a dance. People have passed out before, and nobody likes to call an ambulance. If it's a hotel, they might have fountains or something to provide water.

And also, keep a normal body temperature. I've been super faint from a day's worth of wearing a certain cosplay, and my body heat actually melted the glue on the inside of my claw/glove, after only a few hours!

If you DO cosplay, and it's a popular character, expect to be stopped a lot for pictures, hugs, or comments. Likewise, another person in a popular cosplay may be used to such things, so you wouldn't have to be as afraid of asking for a photo.

At some cons, strange things can happen. Just warning you. (We have a Bathroom Host Club! I kid you not!) But if it makes you feel uncomfortable or it breaks rules, just leave.

And make sure that you also follow rules. A lot of times, the staff has the power to take a badge away if someone has done something. I've never seen it happen but I'm sure it has many more times than you expect.

Keep valuables with you. Some people aren't going to resist if they see something lying around, and they even steal from hotel rooms.

If the convention has its own forums, sign up to see what they may have for panels and activities ahead of time.

Preregister if you can. You can save a ton of money just by doing that. (Hey, by doing that as early as I could, I saved $25 over at-the-con registration.)

I would write more but currently I'm on a time limit, so I will be back later.
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 am

1. Preregister if at all possible. I have saved around 15~20 dollars doing this for cons where it was available (which it usually is)

2. If you're cosplaying a popular character, expect to be asked for pics and hugs anywhere, at any time.

3. KeybladeWarrior mentioned checking to see whether there were any shows or sketches that might bother you and avoid them- While panels that make you uncomfortable are easy to avoid, since they're usually labeled and marked and they might evn have schedules printed out as for where and when they'll take place and what the general content is, since sketches are done in a block of time, all types are mixed together, and each individual sketch only lasts for a short period of time, avoiding those might be impossible, if you want to get back in and find a good seat to watch the rest. Often, they'll also only have the groups that are doing them mentioned, and which anime they're doing the parody/sketch of, and say nothing of the content beforehand. Best advice is to just wait it out- you don't have to laugh or enjoy it, but clapping is polite.

4. Expect anything in terms of cosplay! There are men who cosplay women, women who cosplay men, skimpy skimpy costumes- just take it as it's meant to be, a tribute to characters that are loved. Although it's perfectly acceptable to avoid those that make you uncomfortable, by a discreet walkby.

5. Keep valuables on you, and don't bring a whole lot of them. Ante is right- not everyone at cons is there for fun and games. Which is why it might also be a good idea to see whether a friend would be willing to come with you and be your buddy for the day or weekend- however long the con is.

5. Everything will be more expensive than you might think. Food vendors aren't afraid to price gouge, and anime items will be whatever price you would see in a store! (though usually sales tax isn't tacked on at a con). You can find some great deals on manga, though- some will have deals where you can buy 5 for $25 or 10 for $40. DVDs will never go for that.

That's as many as I can think of ATM. But above all, remember to have fun! :)
Atria35

Postby Nate » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 am

If you want to take a picture of someone, ask permission first. Everyone will pretty much say sure, but it's a courtesy thing.

Don't be suckered into buying 7 dollar boxes of Pocky or five dollar bottles of ramune soda. And no I'm not kidding, dealer's room vendors make an absolute killing over selling stuff like that to stupid otaku.

SHOWER. :l

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 am

Nate (post: 1395490) wrote:SHOWER. :l

YES. I have heard of the stories. Some do not wash the entire time they are there.

I've never seen ramune that expensive. The most was $2, some were $1.75, and I got a six pack for $10. Considering that ramune in Japan is 200 Yen, it's about equal. But a bottle of CC Lemon was $3...Eh, it was worth it. I made the bottle last over a week. Maybe, since it is smaller, the vendors won't charge so much.
Ante Bellum

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 am

Let loose, enjoy yourself. Get plastered, and make out with the person nearest to you!

Yeah. I'm not allowed at cons anymore.

I'm kidding. XD

I echo what people said about food. Buy it elsewhere. Convention food costs an arm and a leg. Who buys a three dollar bottle of water? It's comparable to movie theater prices. D:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ich1990 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Here is a storehouse of conventional wisdom.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 23, 2010 2:43 pm

By coincidence, you're aware that that is Blitzkrieg1701's webcomic, right? XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ich1990 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1396041) wrote:By coincidence, you're aware that that is Blitzkrieg1701's webcomic, right? XD

Of course. It can't hurt to promote one of our own, right?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1395476) wrote:
thanks guys for the advice!
At some cons, strange things can happen. Just warning you. (We have a Bathroom Host Club! I kid you not!) But if it makes you feel uncomfortable or it breaks rules, just leave.

Preregister if you can. You can save a ton of money just by doing that. (Hey, by doing that as early as I could, I saved $25 over at-the-con registration.)

do i want to know what a bathroom host club is?? :wow!:
i have preregistered & booked my hotel ahead of time. XD

and why isnt it good to have free hugs?!? :hug::banned::sniffle:

more questions:

since i am a girl, is there any real issues with pedophiles? (i mean hentai is unfortunately quite popular with creepy guys) :shady:

and would you say dvds and osts are more same or less expensive at cons than online?

and how does one stay away from yaoi fangirls who ruin panels?

and how much is a good amount of money to bring? (no im not buying any cels)

airichan623

Postby Nate » Sun May 23, 2010 8:57 pm

airichan623 wrote:and why isnt it good to have free hugs?!? :hug::banned::sniffle:

Would you want a guy like me coming up to you and hugging you because you're KAWAII UGUU~

Didn't think so.
since i am a girl, is there any real issues with pedophiles?

No more so than anywhere else in the world? o.O I guess I don't understand the question.
and would you say dvds and osts are more same or less expensive at cons than online?

Depends. But you CAN get DVDs for pretty cheap from cons, especially the last day when the vendors want to burn through their stock. Not every DVD is going to be cheap, but you can get good deals on some older stuff.
and how does one stay away from yaoi fangirls who ruin panels?

Don't go to yaoi panels. Though...I don't see how yaoi fangirls could ruin yaoi panels so...I don't understand this question either.

Nate

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Nate (post: 1396119) wrote:
No more so than anywhere else in the world? o.O I guess I don't understand the question.

Don't go to yaoi panels. Though...I don't see how yaoi fangirls could ruin yaoi panels so...I don't understand this question either.

i meant like are the pedophiles gonna start hitting on you quicker cuz ur cosplaying someone who might be in their moe fantasies? as in "hentai dudes=:drool: :brow::evil: hey... me= :?::waah!:RUUUN" < would this ever commence?

and duh on no yaoi panels... as in people ruining code geass w/ suzalulu skits, naruto with sasunaru fanservice, death note with light/L crap... you get the picture. i really really dont wanna have to deal w/ that.

airichan623

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Well, I haven't really had problems with guys except for one, who is a pervert by nature so I'm not a special case. I did dress pretty modestly though...Just don't dress in skimpy clothes, that will help a lot. And obviously don't let guys get you alone. Stay with groups, there's definitely safety in numbers.

I haven't really had yaoi fangirls ruin panels horribly, they mostly have made references and not really gone TOTALLY PSYCHO YAOI FANGIRL on the panel. Read panel descriptions, and if somebody does mention it, either ignore them or leave if it starts to get out of hand. Hopefully you don't run into any trouble. I prayed a lot about it and I didn't have any issues with them.

If somebody is harrassing you at any time, for any reason, go to con security. If it's a good security team they'll dress in shirts that stand out and say Security. And if the case is bad enough, they could make the people leave.

A Bathroom Host Club is basically the group of girls who sit in the girl's restroom, welcome you, lead you to a stall, then afterwards give you paper towels and a mint and says good-bye. Nothing big, except they're really excited so they give an enthusiastic welcome. Needless to say I was afraid to go into any bathroom they were in. XD
Ante Bellum

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 23, 2010 9:15 pm

airichan623 (post: 1396128) wrote:i meant like are the pedophiles gonna start hitting on you quicker cuz ur cosplaying someone who might be in their moe fantasies? as in "hentai dudes=:drool: :brow::evil: hey... me= :?::waah!:RUUUN" < would this ever commence?

Nah. Most otaku (especially the kinds you are referring to) are probably pretty socially inept any way. The only way they'd ever like... try to do something to you is if you engaged them in conversation first. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm

airichan623 wrote:i meant like are the pedophiles gonna start hitting on you quicker cuz ur cosplaying someone who might be in their moe fantasies? as in "hentai dudes=:drool: :brow::evil: hey... me= :?::waah!:RUUUN" < would this ever commence?

The difference between the internet and real life is that in real life you can call con security and/or the police.

The threat of being arrested is pretty much enough to deter most people who would do something untoward.

And FYI, not to take the thread off-topic, but personal pet peeve...you're thinking of a child molester, which is different from a pedophile. The two terms are not interchangeable. That is all.
and duh on no yaoi panels... as in people ruining code geass w/ suzalulu skits, naruto with sasunaru fanservice, death note with light/L crap... you get the picture. i really really dont wanna have to deal w/ that.

A con is for the fans. If that's what fans want, that's what's going to happen. *shrug* Usually (unless you're at a yaoi panel which I doubt you'd be going to) it's played up for laughs or just a bit of fanservice.

And you can always just get up and leave if you don't like a panel. Not like they lock the doors or anything. Now I'm remembering the "Philosophy of Bleach" troll panel at Otakon last year. That was pretty bad.

I also think most cons have made the yaoi/yuri paddles against the rules (they still sell them but you can't carry them around at the con).
Well, I haven't really had problems with guys except for one, who is a pervert by nature

LOOK I SAID I WAS SORRY OKAY?
A Bathroom Host Club is basically the group of girls who sit in the girl's restroom, welcome you, lead you to a stall, then afterwards give you paper towels and a mint

I think if someone tried that in the men's room they'd probably need to call a medic.

Also why a mint? That...doesn't even begin to make sense.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 23, 2010 9:26 pm

They allow paddles at our con...then again, they were one of the last to ban airsoft, it only happened last year after they held it right next to a government building. Oh, and I've seen people on leashes too. So...yeah, still a bit of freedom.

Not you Nate. It's a guy named Bryce. Nate =/= Bryce.

I don't know why! It's a mint! It's a nice gesture!
Ante Bellum

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Nate (post: 1396134) wrote:
I also think most cons have made the yaoi/yuri paddles against the rules (they still sell them but you can't carry them around at the con).

unfortunately i think they r still legal at my con

mr. nate wrote:I think if someone tried that in the men's room they'd probably need to call a medic.

Also why a mint? That...doesn't even begin to make sense.

XD LOL

airichan623

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Hopefully they'll at least ask first before trying anything. Even some yaoi fangirls have enough courtesy to do that. And like I said, if they start anything and won't stop after you tell them to, go to security. (We just can't emphasize this enough, can we?)
Ante Bellum

Postby goldenspines » Sun May 23, 2010 9:32 pm

I agree with all the advice that has been given so far.

First, question. Are you going alone to this con? Are you bringing friends? How far away is the con from where you live? The answers to these questions would show how good your safety is. Obviously, you do have to be careful going anywhere alone (male or female); it's just smarter to be in groups if possible. (whether it be to an anime con or just downtown).

Though, I'm not the best example for this since I usually go to anime cons alone. XD But I also live very close to the con I go to.

Overall, just use common sense, really. I know, this sounds super obvious. But, anime cons are super exciting, especially the first time you go to one. It's like "WOOOOW, THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST LIKE ME AND OOOH, PLUSHIES!"

(no really, it's like that)

But anyways, just keep a good head on your shoulders and you'll be fine.

Also, if the con is in a hotel, avoid room parties. They usually are nothing but trouble.
goldenspines

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:56 pm

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1396143)"]I agree with all the advice that has been given so far.

First, question. Are you going alone to this con? Are you bringing friends? How far away is the con from where you live? The answers to these questions would show how good your safety is. Obviously, you do have to be careful going anywhere alone (male or female)]

I will be going with at least 3 friends of the same teen-age, a parent (whose not actually attending the con, just staying in the hotel), and at least 2 friends in attendance who arent rooming w/ me. so we're pretty safe in that regard.

i already go all "PLUSHIIESS!!!"ish whenever I go to F.Y.E (an entertainment store in the mall w/ anime stuff) so I cant wait to go even more crazy. :D :dizzy:

good to know on room parties. thanx goldy-sama.

airichan623

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Hm. We don't have any anime stores except for Tomodachi, as far as I know. And that's far from me.
But another thing I might sneak in is this: If you really do feel insecure, carry a can of mace or pepper spray. Don't tell anybody, keep it in a pocket. I haven't ever had the need to use one, but just in case you do need it, it's there. Not that I'm saying that anything will happen, but still.
Ante Bellum

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1396156) wrote:Hm. We don't have any anime stores except for Tomodachi, as far as I know. And that's far from me.
But another thing I might sneak in is this: If you really do feel insecure, carry a can of mace or pepper spray. Don't tell anybody, keep it in a pocket. I haven't ever had the need to use one, but just in case you do need it, it's there. Not that I'm saying that anything will happen, but still.

im not really scared per se, but i am trying to be cautious about it- you never know really, especially since many people who arent fans' perspective of anime is either pokemon or hentai. -_- :mutter::bang:

airichan623

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Pretty much all the advice I've seen here is good advice, especially the stuff about that one webcomic. That's definitely some good stuff right there :D

Seriously, though, it looks like all the important health (shower and stay hydrated) safety (look for obvious warning signs and TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY) and financial (bring your own food) bases have been covered.

Also, I would strongly advise keeping tabs on your friends at all times, not just for safety but for fun's sake. I find that virtually EVERYTHING at a con is more fun when someone else, even doing nothing.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby airichan623 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Sounds great guys! Thanks so much!

airichan623

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Ooh, is it OK for me to ask advice in this thread, too? I've already read some of it. My friend suggested to me about going to an anime expo, we've never been to anything like that. It's not official that we're going, it's an idea at the moment, but if we ever do, I have one question:

Is it required to cosplay, or can you go as yourself?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Cosplay is in no way, shape, or form, required :)

It's just something that a lot of people choose to do, even if it's only for one day.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:02 pm

That's good to know. And I may sound stupid but; what are panels?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:06 pm

[quote="AnimeGirl (post: 1399955)"]That's good to know. And I may sound stupid but]

Don't worry about it- I didn't know my first time around either! They're basically discussions about things, and cover everything, like how to find lolita clothing, themes in FMA, how to write fanfiction, and question-and-answer sessions with cosplayers (the audience gets to ask them questions, and they answer in-character!). It varies from con to con and year to year, but you get the idea :)
Atria35

Next

Return to General