Best/Worst moms in anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Best/Worst moms in anime

Postby rocklobster » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 pm

With MOther's day not far away, I thought it'd be good to look at the best and worst moms in anime. Here are my votes:
Best:
Kagome's mom (Inuyasha)
Sister Kate Valentine (Chrono Crusade Techinically, she's not a mom in the traditional sense, but she does have a nurturing personality)
Ed and Al Elric's mom (Full Metal Alchemist. We see her briefly, but enough to like her)
I don't know any I'd nominate for worst mom.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Rosa Ushiromiya.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed May 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Worst:
Kohane-chan's mom from xxxHolic
Wyntre Rose

Postby Yamamaya » Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Sanae from Clannad.

As for Rose Ushiromiya she's the best mom of ALL time(anyone who has watched Umineko knows I'm joking).
Yamamaya

Postby rocklobster » Wed May 05, 2010 3:43 pm

remember, we're also looking at the ones who do the job right too.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Midori » Wed May 05, 2010 3:49 pm

What about Kagome's mom (of InuYasha)? Not many main characters' families take their adventures in stride like she does. She even sends little snacks and things along with Kagome down the well.
Midori

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed May 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Best:
Kyoko Honda from Fruits Basket
Which brings to mind another candidate for worst:
Ren Sohma
Wyntre Rose

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Best: Sanae from Clannad (nice mom)
Kagome's mom (Cool beans mom!)
Ad and Al's mom from FMA (nice. Dies, but really nice. I mean, her kids obviously loved her....)
Akiko from Kanon (jelly and all...)
Mari from Tokyo Magnitude 8.0- Not only does she work really really hard to support her son, but when that eathquake hits, she's willing to help two unrelated kids get to their home, while trying to get to her son. Good mom!
And for a Grandma shout out- Sakae from Summer Wars (Coolest Grandma EVER!)

Worst: Keiishi's mom in When They Cry- she leaves her son in Hinamizawa when there's obviously something wrong. Not cool.
Main kid's mom from Tokyo Magnitude 8.0- never spends any time with kids. Kids go to city without her since she can't make it, get trapped in the city after the earthquake. Bad choice, mom.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed May 05, 2010 10:40 pm

I think probably the best anime mom I've ever seen is Sana's in Kodocha. [spoiler]For one thing, she doesn't hesitate to tell Sana that she's not her real mother, but tells her up front rather than popping it on her years and years later. She also nurtures her adopted daughter, helps her grow, gets her into a good acting career, and lets her be her own crazy self without fretting over her all the time. But the most amazing thing is that she works towards the day where they can find Sana's real mother, and when they do she's willing to let Sana make her own decision as to whether she wants to go with her or stay.[/spoiler]
Plus, she's just crazy-cool with her funky hats.

Trisha Elric from FMA is also a really good mom - single mom, in effect. She brings her sons up well, though they go wrong from time to time.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Hmm...I've got a bad mother...another Takahashi pic. How about Ritsuko Chigusa from Maison Ikkoku? I mean....a mother that protests your marriage....packs up all of your things and moves them out of your home....and lies to your tenants about your father being ill to have her way? Villain!
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Chrysolite » Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:I think probably the best anime mom I've ever seen is Sana's in Kodocha.

I agree! I watched Kodocha with my mom, and after the part where she's telling Sana to manipulate a boy until he's a gentleman and only then date him, Mom laughed and said, "That woman is bringing her daughter up right!" lol :P
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu May 06, 2010 12:11 am

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Best Mom:

Misako Kurata (Kodacha) - I love the fact that she generally lets her daughter Sana find her own way, make her own decisions and suffer the consequences for it.

Okay Mom:

Weda (Hare+Guu) - Yes, while she may not make mother of the year for her constant drinking (and longing to drink while pregnant) and her penchant to leaving all household chores to her son Hare, Weda is still an okay mom in my book.

Worst Mom:

Pandy (Dead Leaves) - All I'll say is this--if you've seen the series, you'll know EXACTLY why she belongs at the bottom of the list![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby crusader88 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Best: Masaki Kurosaki (Bleach). Her sweetness inspired the young Ichigo to shield her from water as cars drove by, and later emboldened him during his fight with King Fisher. She must've been a big influence in his character formation.

Worst: Mizuho Sawatari (He Is My Master). She's fine leaving her two girls in the perv rich kid Yoshitaka's mansion even when her older daughter pleads for help.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby battletech » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 am

Best: Usagi from Sailor Moon
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby rocklobster » Tue May 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, considering how well the rest of the world turns out with her in charge, I'm inclined to agree.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews