What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Hohenheim » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:52 pm

I saw 'The Secret of Kells' yesterday. The animation was simple, and yet so beautiful at the same time. The same goes for all of the artwork that was in it too.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby ich1990 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Gladiator

Yes, it is still good.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 pm

I finally saw Moon last night, as was simultaneously underwhelmed and impressed. It wasn't as good as several of my friends made it out to be, but I still got into it far more than I expected too. This is the kind of Sci-Fi nobody makes anymore, and I love it.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Silver"]Just yesterday I finally saw New Moon!! :)[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby Wolf-man » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm

I watched The Men Who Stare at Goats today. It was okay and somewhat funny but it wasn't anything special.
Wolf-man

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Where the Wild Things Are...

BORING!! Almost two hours and nothing happens the entire film. I know they didn't have much to work with being adapted from a 35 page book but... I thought they would have had some kind of adventure for Max to go on. Instead its just dog piles, smashing stuff, dog pile, throwing dirt clods, everyone's happy! Everyone's sad! All the time some lame indie music soundtrack playing the whole time. Book may have been for kids. Movie is definitely not... it would put them to sleep. It was obviously made for adults who like artsy fartsy indie films like Lost in Translation and stuff. No real direction just a lot of long camera shots at nothing with some kind of indie/folky music playing. And yea i got what they were going for and what the monsters represented and all that but they could have condensed those parts a lot and put them in a movie were there is actually a story line to follow and maybe a climax.

The worst thing is I actually bought this movie >.< Everyone said it was good and I liked the design of the characters and I thought was gonna be one of those amazing dark kid films like the Dark Crystal or have a Jim Henson Storyteller feeling... something. I didn't know it was gonna be an long winded, big budget, self important, arsty indie flick.

/rant :D

That said, I did like the creatures, the look of everything and I did like what they were trying to do and didn't mind it being aimed at adults but... blah.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Today I watched Julie & Julia, and after that, I watched The Red Shoes. The former was cute and fun; the latter was absolutely breathtaking.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I just watched Black Narcissus, a film made by the same directors as The Red Shoes, however they are very different films. It was a good film-- a little disturbing near the end. It sucked me in, and I forgot that I was watching a film made in 1947.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Wow. Not much love for Where The Wild Things Are. I love the movie and I hate self-indulgent movies. Still, yes, it's a very acquired taste.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Watched the zombie flick Pontypool and it is by far one of my favirote horror flicks ever
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm going to watch Summer Wars tonight!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1389869) wrote:I'm going to watch Summer Wars tonight!

:thumb:
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:19 pm

So I watched it, and it's pretty much my favorite movie ever.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Departures- Japanese movie about a cello player who moves back to his hometown after he loses his job, moves back into his old house and becomes the Japanese version of an embalmer (prepares the body for death, but really just by cleaning and dressing the corpse). Very interesting, very emotional. You get to see how the bodies are traditionally prepared for cremation, which is amazing- an art form in itself, as it's done incredibly tastefully in front of the family members (you see no naughties- it's all hidden by the robes and sheet that they move around and dress the body in). And the story is about reuniting with the past, and preparing for the future. Accepting the past and moving on. I cried a little.

Good movie.
Atria35

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:01 pm

It's been awhile since I last entered this thread, so I have a short list:

The Seventh Seal:

Well, there's a reason that this film is so highly regarded. Incredible film. Despite being over 50 years old, it still has messages and makes commentary that are applicable to today.

Paranoid Park-

This was an alright movie, directed by Gus Van Sant. I don't have much to say aside from the fact that it captures what it is like to be a teenager quite well.

O'Horten-

Fantastic movie. Artful, poignant, and hopeful. If you get the chance to watch this Norwegian film, take it. Just be ready with a bit of patience, as it's a bit slow. The film revolves around Horten, a retiring train engineer.

Shanghai Triad-

This is, quite honestly, almost one of the best gangster movies I have ever seen. (A couple of subjectively annoying songs are preventing it from ranking that high) Set in 1930's Shanghai criminal underground, a young country bumpkin is pulled away from home to become the servant of a cabaret singer who is the girlfriend of the "Boss". Things move along from there.

Cherry Blossoms-

There's not much I can say about this one without spoiling it. Even the movie trailer spoils much of the film. However, I can say that it explores what it is to come to the last chapter in life. Highly recommended, but incredibly sad.

I also watched Hot Fuzz again.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ST. Attidude » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 pm

watched The Iron Giant last night. Forgot how awesome it was. T V T
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Avatar: The Last Airbender season 1

This show is held in high regard here on the boards (well, pretty much everywhere actually), so I have long intended to watch it --yet never got around to actually doing so. During a rare moment of channel surfing, I stumbled across a rerun and decided to watch a few episodes to see how I liked it.

I like it a lot.

It is a show for kids, yes, but it is so much better than the average kid's show that I almost feel bad calling it that. It has reasonably likable characters; plenty of character development; an extensive, sequential and mature story line; and lots of well animated fights. I am really quite impressed, and I look forward to the next season.
ich1990

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:26 pm

We just watched The 4th Kind.. It gets a "Meh" from me XD I've never really been into alien movies.. Unless, they're good >_>;; I mean, I don't mind them, but this one was just.. bland? To me at least <_<
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Ok, I just watched the most hilariously bad movie I think I've ever seen. Usually, when I go to my parents' house for Sunday dinner, we end up watching MASH, or Planet Earth or something similar, but tonight my Dad decided he wanted to watch this Hercules film with Lou Ferrigno as the star...and oh my gosh!!! It was so bad we couldn't stop watching it. The costumes were awful, the acting was laughable and the special effects...well, lets just say I've seen better special effects in movies made in the 50's - and this movie was made in 1983!!
Wyntre Rose

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Watched Reservoir Dogs last night! The song "Stuck in the Middle With You" will never sound the same again. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ich1990 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 pm

The Dark Knight

This is the sixth time I have seen it, and the first time I have watched the movie without noticing some new detail. That Nolan has an eye for the little things.
ich1990

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:20 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1390549) wrote:Watched Reservoir Dogs last night! The song "Stuck in the Middle With You" will never sound the same again. XD
That the first time you've seen it? Man, what a great movie. Fun times, Dreamer!
ich1990 (post: 1390712) wrote:The Dark Knight

This is the sixth time I have seen it, and the first time I have watched the movie without noticing some new detail. That Nolan has an eye for the little things.
*fist pump* I watch pieces of that movie all the time. Whenever it's on HBO, I usually tune in. Such a fun experience, that film.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Today I watched Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, from 1946. I enjoyed it; the music and imagery were both beautiful.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cloud500 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 pm

I watched Sherlock Holmes (2009) a couple of days ago. Aside from the occult stuff, I thought it was a great take on a classic series. The characters didn't behave exactly like they did in the original books and films, but they still essentially felt like the same characters.
Cloud500

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:48 pm

Going to be showing V For Vendetta for my weekly film discussion group tonight. Should prove for an interesting philosophical discussion.
Wolf-man

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Just watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus! I LOVED it! I've been wanting to see it for months now, and I'm so glad I finally got to!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ich1990 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Avatar the Last Airbender: Book Two

The second season was a great improvement over the first. All of the raw potential that was built up was capitalized on, and many other great characters were introduced. Cooler fights and a more linear storyline also helped to build intensity. Definitely looking forward to the third season.
ich1990

Postby MightiMidget » Sun May 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Currently camped out, watching Surrogates. =)
MightiMidget

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun May 02, 2010 4:02 pm

McCabe & Mrs Miller

This is the second Western that I have ever enjoyed. Phenomenal film.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Today in class we watched 5x2.

Do not watch this movie. It's terrible.

Cognitive Gear

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment