Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex

Postby Lord Omberus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:25 am

I got both seasons as boxed sets as a gift recently, so I've been working my way through them one disk at a time. I'd seen a few episodes here and there, but until now haven't managed to watch the narrative unfold, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the show.

For those that don't know, GitS is set in the near-future, or if you prefer, an alternate universe's near future where events in recent history played out slightly differently.

In the show's recent history, the world has gone through both a nuclear World War III and a non-nuclear World War IV, although since the damage was mitigated by new radiation-scrubbing technology, it's much less of a dystopia than one might assume.

The major difference in everyday life between the real world and the GitS universe is the presence of advanced cybertechnology, the merging of humans with machine parts, or in some cases, the complete replacement of the entire body (Except for portions of the brain) with machinery. Nearly everyone in GitS is cyberized to some degree, only the poorest of the poor unable to afford enhancement, and some degree of enhancement considered necessary for working most jobs.

The storyline follows a semi-secret government police organization, known as "Public Security Section 9", which deals mostly with information warfare and cyber terrorism.

The story is often quite philosophical, dealing with more cerebral issues than a typical action series (Although it never fails to deliver on action somewhere). This includes things like the concept of a soul (The titular "Ghost" in the shell that is a physical body), individual vs. collective will, and the motivations and methods of terrorist organizations and revolutionaries.

So, has CAA seen it, heard of it, or have any opinions on it?
Lord Omberus

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 am

I've only seen a few scattered episodes, but I've seen the movies (I understand the series is a prequel). I was not too impressed with the first movie, but the pseudo-Tarkovsky style of the second movie fascinated me.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Lord Omberus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:56 am

I actually haven't seen the second movie. The first was quite good in my opinion. Not excellent, but it had interesting ideas, especially for the time. That old cel art does take me back though.

I haven't read the manga either, although I've heard that GitS is closer to Masamune's original story than the movies were.
Lord Omberus

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:01 am

The thing about the first movie is that maybe too many people raved about how awesome it was, so I expected to be blown away, which I was not. Maybe I need to see it again, but I liked the second one more.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Lord Omberus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:06 am

I encourage you to see the series. It really helps it a LOT to be seen from beginning to end. I can say pretty unequivocally that it's better than the movie.
Lord Omberus

Postby rocklobster » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:46 am

I've seen everything Ghost in the Shell--movies, TV show, you name it. I love it!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Lord Omberus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 am

Cool. Care to discuss it at all?
Lord Omberus

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:56 pm

I've seen SAC and SAC:Second Gig, and enjoyed both very much. Second gig has a much more complicated story line and I rather enjoyed that, but the first season is still my favorite for a few reasons. Also have seen and enjoyed the SAC movie.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:21 pm

I've seen SAC and SAC: 2nd GIG. I adore SAC more, but that's because of the whole plotline, following the trail to an alleged cyber-terrorist. It's also a bit more action-oriented than 2nd GIG, though 2nd Gig also has it's merits- you get more deeply involved with the characters (esp. the major), and you also get more deeply involved in the politics of that reality, which can drag it down a bit. Some of what you learn about that isn't pertinent to the politics of what's happening at the climax.

SAC is also my favorite of the two due to getting more involved with the other's POV, though it's mostly through the token non-cybered man, who it's easier to relate to overall because, well, I don't have a cyberbrain. For me it was easier to relate because in many ways you see him struggle to deal with a world where everyone has a cyberbrain at the very least.

I'm also a big fan of the Tachikomas- I seem to be one of the few who are :sweat:. But they were an important lead-in into what it meant to be a spirit in a cybernetic body, which you see more of the 2nd Gig thanks to the Major. They did bring in questions on what happens if robotics become self-aware, and as we ourselves move to more computerized and complex versions of things like attachable limbs for those who've lost them, when does the line between human an machine begin and end? That seemed to be a theme between both series.

Of course, I could have been reading too much into it. It's been a few mo's since I've seen either one.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:44 pm

I've seen the first movie and thought it had some interesting ideas but was very over-hyped and rather boring. The second movie was quite a bit better. I've read the first volume of the manga which was very good, excluding some graphic adult content. I've watched most of the first anime series and thought it was good but not great (much better than the movie though).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Lord Omberus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:14 am

Atria35 (post: 1390023) wrote:I've seen SAC and SAC: 2nd GIG. I adore SAC more, but that's because of the whole plotline, following the trail to an alleged cyber-terrorist. It's also a bit more action-oriented than 2nd GIG, though 2nd Gig also has it's merits- you get more deeply involved with the characters (esp. the major), and you also get more deeply involved in the politics of that reality, which can drag it down a bit. Some of what you learn about that isn't pertinent to the politics of what's happening at the climax.

SAC is also my favorite of the two due to getting more involved with the other's POV, though it's mostly through the token non-cybered man, who it's easier to relate to overall because, well, I don't have a cyberbrain. For me it was easier to relate because in many ways you see him struggle to deal with a world where everyone has a cyberbrain at the very least.

I'm also a big fan of the Tachikomas- I seem to be one of the few who are :sweat:. But they were an important lead-in into what it meant to be a spirit in a cybernetic body, which you see more of the 2nd Gig thanks to the Major. They did bring in questions on what happens if robotics become self-aware, and as we ourselves move to more computerized and complex versions of things like attachable limbs for those who've lost them, when does the line between human an machine begin and end? That seemed to be a theme between both series.

Of course, I could have been reading too much into it. It's been a few mo's since I've seen either one.

I feel I must point out the irony that Togusa does indeed have a cyberbrain. It's his only cyberized part in fact.

You definitely aren't the only fan of the Tachikomas here, I rather like them myself, and they're one of my favorite examples of a fictitious AI, along with Gilliam from Outlaw Star, and of course HAL.

They're primarily interesting as a sort of philosophical outlet for the show. They're clearly vastly intelligent, probably moreso than any human being, but they take to information more like a curious child than the typical "Evil Overlord", Skynet-type AI we're used to in the west. In fact I feel that as our own AI technologies today become more advanced, that this is the sort of personality we should model them on. An innocent, childish demeanor would also make them more relatable and less threatening to the lay person.
Lord Omberus

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:22 pm

I enjoyed Stand Alone Complex, primarily for the tone and pacing. The exploration of various themes is decent, if old territory, but that isn't what draws me into the series. Rather, it's nice to have a group of characters like Section 9: professionals who are clearly competent at their work (ie not teens). This makes the fact that the series can be dialogue-heavy much more passable.

Not many people will be surprised that I'm not a big fan of the Tachikomas, or the episodes focusing on them. Setting aside the good/evil AI issue entirely, I tend to prefer my fictional artificial intelligences to be thoroughly non-human in their thinking. But that's just a preference, and I don't think any less of people that like them, which cannot be said of everything.

Any Ishikawa appreciators? That's not likely, but...
uc pseudonym

Postby Lord Omberus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:36 pm

I for one am a huge fan of Ishikawa's righteous neckbeard, and thus the man attached to it.
Lord Omberus

Postby JaniceMcPherson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:26 pm

[color="DarkOrange"]I cried at the end when I found out Motoko was the girl who visited Kuze as a boy who folded paper cranes.[/color]:lickbash:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
JaniceMcPherson

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Note: Some of us may have not seen Ghost In The Shell, so spoiler tags may be helpful in this case ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Lord Omberus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm

It's pretty heavily hinted at a lot earlier in the series, so I think it's ok.
Lord Omberus

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews