Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby knightlee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Thank you very much. :) I'm looking forward to trying out those titles!
knightlee

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Hey knightlee, here's a few recommendations for titles you may want to give a shot if you'd like:

+Anima: From Wiki: In the +Anima fantasy world, Astaria, some humans have an unusual gift that grants them the ability to morph one or more of their body parts, such as limbs, into a form of an animal's body part. The plot revolves around four +Anima children: Cooro, Husky, Senri, and Nana. Brought together by their +Anima powers, they search for others like themselves and a place to belong. Along the way, they encounter villains and friends alike, as well as other +Anima.They have a review for it on this site. As far as I've read, it is a very fun and enjoyable read. Worth checking out if you like fantasy, action, and humor :D

Hikaru no Go: From ANN:Hikaru Shindo is just a normal 12 year old Japanese boy. One day, he's rumaging through his Grandfather's things to see if he can find something to sell and pulls out an old Go board. A ghostly apparation appears out of the board and tells Hikaru his sad story. His name is Sai Fujiwara, a man who was a Go instructor to the emperor of Japan a thousand years ago. However, because of bad sportsmanship during a game, Sai was accused of cheating and banished from the city. With no livelihood or any other reason to live, Sai commited suicide by drowning himself. Now, he haunts a Go board, and wants to accomplish the perfect Go game, called the "Hand of God" which he hopes to do through Hikaru. If Hikaru will be able to do it or not (or even wants to) will have to be seen. This series is possibly one of the best mangas I've ever read. It's a very good coming-of-age story that contains action, wonderful characters, and a little humor. And don't let the fact that it's about a board game turn you away from this series. Trust me, it get's very exciting and suspenseful like any other shonen mangas.

Hope I was of help to you.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 am

You could also try Yotsuba&, it's the day-by-day life of a young girl who may not be the brightest on the block, but has a wild imagination and an upbeat attitude. It's very popular around here, and very funny. Somewhat episodic, though.

Skip Beat!- about a girl who's trying to become a superstar to show up her ex, who dumped her for a more attractive, less passive girl. Romance does play more into this, but it's somewhat one-sided from the guy, and it has just as many, if not more, funny parts than romantic parts (though that may be since it's still ongoing and hasn't gotten to the girl realizing he likes her yet. But I don't think it'd fall into the love-love-dovey thing of other series because of how it's written)
Atria35

Postby knightlee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 am

Wow, all these recommendations are great!
@steenajack: both of those look like they have very good art (my favorite style - not too flowery and loose). I can't wait to start them.

@Atria35: I forgot to mention that I have read at least two volumes of Yotsuba&. It is very cute. ^_^ I'm trying to ge into Skip Beat! But I'm having a bit of trouble. Maybe once I get past the first volume I'll like it a bit better.
A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus
Find me @ MAL.net (olivecrayola)
knightlee

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Atria35 (post: 1385311) wrote:You could also try Yotsuba&, it's the day-by-day life of a young girl who may not be the brightest on the block, but has a wild imagination and an upbeat attitude. It's very popular around here, and very funny. Somewhat episodic, though.

Skip Beat!- about a girl who's trying to become a superstar to show up her ex, who dumped her for a more attractive, less passive girl. Romance does play more into this, but it's somewhat one-sided from the guy, and it has just as many, if not more, funny parts than romantic parts (though that may be since it's still ongoing and hasn't gotten to the girl realizing he likes her yet. But I don't think it'd fall into the love-love-dovey thing of other series because of how it's written)

Yotsuba&! is pretty fantastic and it's pretty much entirely episodic.

Skip Beat is definitely a romance and its romantic plot is pretty standard shoujo stuff too. The setup pretty much guarantees a love triangle. I've read a lot of it before dropping it and of what I've read, it already had the same thinking about relationships and characters getting attracted to each other and second-guessing that is common to a lot of other shoujo series. It's just that it's also mixed in with the whole achieving super-stardom plot which is much more interesting, but is really there only to drive the romantic plot.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:10 pm

blkmage (post: 1385426) wrote:Skip Beat is definitely a romance and its romantic plot is pretty standard shoujo stuff too. The setup pretty much guarantees a love triangle. I've read a lot of it before dropping it and of what I've read, it already had the same thinking about relationships and characters getting attracted to each other and second-guessing that is common to a lot of other shoujo series. It's just that it's also mixed in with the whole achieving super-stardom plot which is much more interesting, but is really there only to drive the romantic plot.

Love triange? Only a one-sided one. She has no interest in going back to her ex. ....But I will agree that the stardom thing is to help the plot along, though you also see a good deal of growth of her as a person instead of her the the guy just going 'huh okies we lurves eachother'. So that automatically makes it better than 75% of the stuff out there.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:50 pm

knightlee (post: 1384967) wrote:Hey all! I'm new here, and looking for some recommendations. I'm not all that picky, but I lean towards manga with well planned/interesting story lines, and at least a little bit of comedy. I don't mind violence or swearing so long as it doesn't take up the entire manga, and, while I won't read anything that is very explicit, I can deal with adult concepts for the most part. I like to avoid "fanservice" as much as possible, though.
One thing I cannot stand are characters that are overly cute (like, to the point of being unrealistic) or obsessive over other characters. I don't mind character quirks, but it makes my eyes bleed when I have to read yet another story about a young girl obsessing over a gorgeous guy. Romance is fine, I just don't like for it to be the whole plot. Oh, and I stay away from girl/girl, guy/guy romantic pairings.

Thanks in advance! Fire away!

Might I suggest a personal favorite of mine, Fruits Basket? It's a romance/comedy/drama, but also a well written one. The best thing about it is that because of its immense popularity, you can usually find it at your typical suburban library, so you dont have to buy the entire 23-volume series.
For an action series, I'll steer you toward the episodic-yet-intruiging Tsubasa Reservior Chronicle, though (WARNING) it does get very dark toward the end.This series crosses over with xxxHOLIC, which I also enjoy for its use of Japanese mythology, but dislike because of the main character's fanservic-ish outfits.

Have fun and read away!

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Atria35 (post: 1385431) wrote:Love triange? Only a one-sided one. She has no interest in going back to her ex. ....But I will agree that the stardom thing is to help the plot along, though you also see a good deal of growth of her as a person instead of her the the guy just going 'huh okies we lurves eachother'. So that automatically makes it better than 75% of the stuff out there.

Well, even if it's one-sided, it's still qualifies as a love triangle and the story is still set up as such. I can think of a few stories in which such a situation started out one-sided with the main character completely uninterested in the other party and end up switching the person of their interest. Which leads me to my next point, which is that even if Kyoko doesn't seem to be interested in Sho, that can change, and from what I've read, there are moments in which the one-sidedness is not as set in stone as you might think.

And yes, character growth and development is preferable to none.
blkmage

Postby animewarrior » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am

Hey guys. Just coming out of the shadowlands for some more manga recommendations.
I'm up for shojo right now but any series featuring some actual CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and PLOT is appreciated.

Series already read:
- Kare Kano (His & Her's Circumstances, REALLY in depth)
- Ayashi no Ceres (one of my favs but for older audiences)
- MeruPuri (just for fun ^^)
- NANA (older audiences)
- ParaKiss (also known as Paradise Kiss, older audiences)
- +Anima (not shojo but a fun adventure)
- Fruits Basket (LOVE)
- Tsubasa: Those With Wings (<3)
- Tsubasa (by CLAMP)
- Honey & Clover (lost interest over time)
- Death Note (anime is more engaging)
- Gameplan (christian manga)
- HeavenBound (christian manga)
- We Were There (dissapointing...)
- Vampire Knight (...ehh)
- Full Metal Alchemist
(deciding whether or not to continue after all the spoilers I've been told)
- Peacemaker (NO.)

**I've read more than this but these are most of the shojo/good character development ones...
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby animewarrior » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

acgifford (post: 1384435) wrote:A manga I just started is Maximum Ride. It has some cussing and violence, but neither are to bad. I amreally enjoying and would recomend it. Like I said, the violence isn't to bad and neither is the cussing. It's a new series and book three has only came out recently. I have read 1 and 2. Very good.

Just to let you know, I really like Maximum Ride (even though the main characters are younger than I am...) and the manga is based on the series by James Patterson. If you want you can read the entire series (currently they're up to book 6) through your local library or pick them up at Chapters. If you like reading novels that is.

1 The Angel Experiment
2 School's Out Forever
3 Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
4 The Final Warning
5 Max
6 Fang (just released last month and is in my bookshelf ^^)

Number 7 (Angel) is supposed to release in 2011... T_T I have to wait.
But yeah the novels are really good reads.

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:43 am

animewarrior (post: 1387647) wrote:Hey guys. Just coming out of the shadowlands for some more manga recommendations.
I'm up for shojo right now but any series featuring some actual CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and PLOT is appreciated.

Erm, maybe Kimi ni Todoke, about a girl who looks scary but is really trying to be a nice person makes friends and discovers her first love (who we know likes her from the very beginning, which is a bit different from most shoujo romances). Bamboo Blade (both an anime and manga XD) would also be a good choice. Gakuen Alice seems like it would also interest you, and there's a thread where you can read more about it on here....

And while I'm at it, I have a manga request: While I've never really gotten into Christian manga, I have a friend who'd really love some, because she wants to show her parents that it's not all heathen/satanic/adverse to Christianity, and she'd like it for herself, of course :) (asked her about showing her parents this site, but she's hesitant about it, unfortunately). I was thinking of getting her some for her upcoming birthday. Could anyone direct me to some good ones, and where I could purchase them if they're not webcomics? (Already looked into Shelter of Wings, thanks!)
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:05 pm

animewarrior (post: 1387647) wrote:Hey guys. Just coming out of the shadowlands for some more manga recommendations.

Series already read:
- NANA (older audiences)
- Fruits Basket (LOVE)
- Tsubasa (by CLAMP)
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Peacemaker (NO.)

**I've read more than this but these are most of the shojo/good character development ones...

Shojo and character development are both huge parts of Ouran High School Host Club, which I think you will enjoy, unless you don't like good things.

Not shojo, but I think you would also enjoy Tegami Bachi, which I just recently caught up on. Enthralling plot with fantastic characters, it's a great series.

Also, if anyone could give me a good manga of any genre, minus magical girl, since I'm not into that, that is 4-8ish volumes long, that would be much appreciated. I've been wanting to get into something that won't kill my wallet, but be a satisfying buy. Any one-shots are also good.

Manga I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist(Mostly because it's the best ever)
Yotsuba&!
Tegami Bachi
Azumanga Daioh
Ouran High School Host Club
Rurouni Kenshin
Stray Dog, Bat in a Blue Sky, and Raiden-18
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Series already read:
- NANA (older audiences)
- Fruits Basket (LOVE)
- Tsubasa (by CLAMP)
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Peacemaker (NO.)

I haven't really found anything that's topped Kare Kano for shoujo yet, but I've really been enjoying Kimi ni Todoke. You might also be interested in Nodame Cantabile.

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1387722) wrote:Shojo and character development are both huge parts of Ouran High School Host Club, which I think you will enjoy, unless you don't like good things.

Not shojo, but I think you would also enjoy Tegami Bachi, which I just recently caught up on. Enthralling plot with fantastic characters, it's a great series.

Also, if anyone could give me a good manga of any genre, minus magical girl, since I'm not into that, that is 4-8ish volumes long, that would be much appreciated. I've been wanting to get into something that won't kill my wallet, but be a satisfying buy. Any one-shots are also good.

Manga I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist(Mostly because it's the best ever)
Yotsuba&!
Tegami Bachi
Azumanga Daioh
Ouran High School Host Club
Rurouni Kenshin
Stray Dog, Bat in a Blue Sky, and Raiden-18

Solanin. It's actually two volumes, but sold as one in North America.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:28 pm

blkmage (post: 1387731) wrote:Solanin. It's actually two volumes, but sold as one in North America.

Ah. Thank you! That's the one you wrote on your website that reminded you of 5 Centimeters per Second, right?

Edit:Never mind, I checked out your site to check this. What is the basic plot?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby animewarrior » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the recommendations...
I've actually read the preview in for Kimi no Todoke in Shojo Beat (RIP) and it looked interesting I just forgot about it... ^^
As to Ouran Highschool Host Club I adore the anime but the manga's artwork I found to be distracting and because events are in different orders in the manga than the anime I've shyed away from the OHSHC manga.
I'll look into Nodame Cantabile but I'm not sure about it yet.
Tegami Bachi definitely looks interesting but with only one volume released in NA I'm not sure if I want to start it right away... we'll see.

Atria35 (post: 1387672) wrote:And while I'm at it, I have a manga request: While I've never really gotten into Christian manga, I have a friend who'd really love some, because she wants to show her parents that it's not all heathen/satanic/adverse to Christianity, and she'd like it for herself, of course :) (asked her about showing her parents this site, but she's hesitant about it, unfortunately). I was thinking of getting her some for her upcoming birthday. Could anyone direct me to some good ones, and where I could purchase them if they're not webcomics? (Already looked into Shelter of Wings, thanks!)

You can buy printed copies of both of these online Christian mangas.

Gameplan - video game fangirl & her friends comedy with a bit of romance
http://www.gameplan.christianmanga.com
HeavenBound - futuristic manga about a guy and his struggles in life (a bit darker content PG-13 rated)
http://www.heavenbound.christianmanga.com
I'd recommend GamePlan first over HeavenBound to introduce to her parents... as well introducing her parents to this site would be a good idea... I'm a pastor's kid and my parents were "concerned" about anime/manga at first until I explained what I liked about it and how diverse the selection is.

animewarrior

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 pm

animewarrior (post: 1387860) wrote:You can buy printed copies of both of these online Christian mangas.

Gameplan - video game fangirl & her friends comedy with a bit of romance
http://www.gameplan.christianmanga.com
HeavenBound - futuristic manga about a guy and his struggles in life (a bit darker content PG-13 rated)
http://www.heavenbound.christianmanga.com
I'd recommend GamePlan first over HeavenBound to introduce to her parents... as well introducing her parents to this site would be a good idea... I'm a pastor's kid and my parents were "concerned" about anime/manga at first until I explained what I liked about it and how diverse the selection is.

Thanks much!

I also really wish she'd sit down with her parents and talk about this stuff, and show them the site... Unfortunately, she's had some bad experiences with her parents and anime/manga- they saw Inuyasha on AdultSwim once, and her mother said it gave her an evil feeling. And then her parents started associating it with American comics, and proceeded to throw out her entire superhero/Justice League collection. They're really really conservative, and I think my friend believes that they're too set in their former impressions to be willing to listen to her about this.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 pm

animewarrior (post: 1387860) wrote:Thanks for the recommendations...
I've actually read the preview in for Kimi no Todoke in Shojo Beat (RIP) and it looked interesting I just forgot about it... ^^
As to Ouran Highschool Host Club I adore the anime but the manga's artwork I found to be distracting and because events are in different orders in the manga than the anime I've shyed away from the OHSHC manga.
I'll look into Nodame Cantabile but I'm not sure about it yet.
Tegami Bachi definitely looks interesting but with only one volume released in NA I'm not sure if I want to start it right away... we'll see.

Tegami Bachi actually has two volumes that have been released in NA.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Solanin is mainly about a girl who's just graduated from college and has just started her full-time job. It's about growing up, facing the real world, and figuring out what you're going to do with the time that's given to you.
blkmage

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Cyan"]I'm in need of some more manga to read. What I'm looking for is shoujo manga and/or action packed (kind of like Bleach or Yuyu Hakusho) manga. Also I would like to read shoujo more around my age, like I'm not interested in kiddy based shojo. Please and Thanks! :][/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 pm

ILurvMusic (post: 1389269) wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Cyan"]I'm in need of some more manga to read. What I'm looking for is shoujo manga and/or action packed (kind of like Bleach or Yuyu Hakusho) manga. Also I would like to read shoujo more around my age, like I'm not interested in kiddy based shojo. Please and Thanks! :][/color][/font]

Oh, this is so exciting! For shoujo, I recommend 1/2 Prince, Aria/Aqua, Ouran High School Host Club, and if you don't mind vampires, Chibi Vampire (which also has some action in it). Action-packed? Well, Towards the Terra is pretty good (Yes, it was made in the 70's but it still has a nice style to it, and is good to boot!), 20th Century Boys (it's an involved story, with intrigue and action), and Liar Game (not fighting-action, but a lot of suspense and mind games!).
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Kare Kano is my favourite shoujo series. Others that I'm following that I like are Ouran and Kaichou wa Maid-sama. I also liked Koukou Debut. You might want to read Lovely Complex, Special A, or Koko ni Iru yo. I think Aishiteruze Baby was alright too.

Aria is not actually shoujo; it's shounen, but it's also very good.

For action, I'd go with Fullmetal Alchemist. Soul Eater is also thematically similar to Bleach, but I like its style and writing much more.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:57 pm

I'll second both FMA and Soul Eater, both are fantastic. SE has a high amount of fanservice for about 6-7 chapters, but mostly drops its off after that, in case that bothers you.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Atria35 (post: 1389282) wrote:Oh, this is so exciting! For shoujo, I recommend 1/2 Prince, Aria/Aqua, Ouran High School Host Club, and if you don't mind vampires, Chibi Vampire (which also has some action in it). Action-packed? Well, Towards the Terra is pretty good (Yes, it was made in the 70's but it still has a nice style to it, and is good to boot!), 20th Century Boys (it's an involved story, with intrigue and action), and Liar Game (not fighting-action, but a lot of suspense and mind games!).

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Wheat"]Thanks for the recommendations!! :]
Also, I've read almost every volume (except the last volume) of Chibi Vampire already. :][/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:09 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 1389285)"]Kare Kano is my favourite shoujo series. Others that I'm following that I like are Ouran and Kaichou wa Maid-sama. I also liked Koukou Debut. You might want to read Lovely Complex, Special A, or Koko ni Iru yo. I think Aishiteruze Baby was alright too.

Aria is not actually shoujo]

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Wheat"]Ooo..Kare Kano and Kaichou wa Maid-sama, I've read most of them and I think it's good!! :]
Also, I've read all of Koukou Debut (one of my faves) and Koko ni Iru yo and thought it was good! :]
Normally I just watch the FMA anime, but I'm gonna try reading the manga to it.
Anyway, thnx for all the suggestions!! :][/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1389289) wrote:I'll second both FMA and Soul Eater, both are fantastic. SE has a high amount of fanservice for about 6-7 chapters, but mostly drops its off after that, in case that bothers you.

[color="Wheat"][font="Comic Sans"]Ohhhh, I see!
Well thnx for the info!! :][/font][/color]
ILurvMusic

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm

I've been wondering about Battle Angel Alita for a while. Has anyone read it who can tell me content and quality of story? Is it worth it?
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:18 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1389883) wrote:I've been wondering about Battle Angel Alita for a while. Has anyone read it who can tell me content and quality of story? Is it worth it?
Falx can probably give you the most accurate assessment; however, I've never let my non-expertise stop me before, so... It's been a while since I've read it, but I can tell you the story is outstanding, though there is a lot of intense violence. That's is the only quibble I can recall.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Okay, thanks, Doc! =) I might check with Falx then too. (I don't think library has manga, so I'd end up buying from bookstore) But that sounds not bad then! =) thankie again.
MightiMidget

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Is .hack//Legend Of Twilight and Animal Academy any good? 'Cause I have been thinking about reading those.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:35 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1390057) wrote:Is .hack//Legend Of Twilight and Animal Academy any good? 'Cause I have been thinking about reading those.

I have no idea about Legend of Twilight, but I've heard to Animal Academy. It's rather obscure, but I have no idea if it's any good. I think I have it on my to-read list, but that's not going to help you ><" Well, the one thing about anime and manga is occasionally, you must take a leap of faith, and hope that it's okay. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not, but either way, it will expand your repertiore/experience with it.

But I've heard Animal Acadeny compared to both +Anima and Gakuen Alice, if that's any help. Not that it might not have objectionable material anyway.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews