...Hulu Kenshin redub

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

...Hulu Kenshin redub

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 am

OK, so I'm reading the Kenshin manga now, and it's great. I put it down for a bit to browse the internet. "I know," I think, "Kenshin is on hulu, so I'll rewatch a couple of choice episodes.":rant:

Well. :comp:

Apparently, the show has been redubbed. And: It. Is. Awful. :bang: This is not the original Media Blasters DVD realese dub. This atrocity appears to be made especially for hulu. Why? Couldn't they knab the rights to the freaking dub along with the animation and music? The original dub is not that bad, and I was looking forward to it. The new...thing...not only has poor choice of voice actors (Sanosuke...*vomits*) and poor acting on their part, but there is just non-stop talking. In the original dub, there are moments of silence in which the weight of the atmosphere is meant to sink in. Not here folks. :hits_self. For example, when Kenshin is about the fight Soujiro, there is a moment in which he stands at the door and contemplates the coming battle. Instead, these geniuses replace the silence with Kenshin hurriedly saying, "Don'tWorrySano,WithMyTrustyReverseEdge( not blade...edge)SwordAndAllTheHardshipsIHaveOvercomeIWillBeSureToWin (not Kenshin's attitude at all in the original).PlusIWouldn'tWorryAboutItIKnowHisMoves!"

Ugh...

Oh, and guess what? The new dubbers leave the "N" off of Kenshin's name. Yup, he's Kenshi! :bootout:

Why!?! Why is such desicration allowed in this world???!!!???
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:46 am

Hmmm....so I'm guessing if I decide to poke my nose into that don't watch it on hulu. Got it. :oops:
MightiMidget

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 am

Crap, that is bad. I'm watching S1E34. What is up with Misao's voice? They don't even pronounce Edo correctly :( And I don't usually squawk about dubs.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Cloud500 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

I think this is the infamous dub done by Sony(I think) years ago.
Cloud500

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

WOAH! WHAT?! Are you serious?! Who redubbed it?
I gotta check this out....

Edit: Oh yeah, this is probably the Old Sony dub...that's why its called "Samurai X"

Stick with the other dub, its actually decent...although I can't watch it anymore, since I saw it so many times as a teen, and now the voices (in English and Japanese) grate on my nerves. haha. (Still, since its the first anime I ever watched, it will always be my favorite)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

Its because Hulu didn't get the rights to air the Media Blaster dub.

It was first dub by Sony in 1999. They tried and failed to market the series in the United States as Samurai X via an existing company. It aired in countries outside of the US and now its on Hulu. Now you know why Hulu has the TV series listed as Samurai X and not Rurouni Kenshin. That dub is also the reason why most people refer to the movie and OVAs as Samurai X.

Then the TV series was later licensed in North America and released on DVD by Media Blasters and keep the name Rurouni Kenshin and what we saw air on Toonami.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color]
[/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 am

Wow, bad move Sony. I've never come across a dub that made me want to go deaf.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Oh my goodness. XD I just watched a few minutes of the Pilot, and this is the worst thing ever. XDD I'm not sure who's doing the voice of Kaoru, but she is terrible, and her lines make like, no sense in the context of the scene. XD And the overuse of the word "slash" and its variations is just cringe-worthy. XD At least Richard Hayworth apparently still voiced Kenshin, but dang! XD I had no idea this thing existed before now, and I think I'm going to have to go watch some of my old Kenshin DVDs to purge my mind of it. XD The old Rurouni Kenshin fangirl in me just boiled a little bit when I heard the way they pronounced "Kamiya Kasshin." XD

ALSO WHY IS KAORU'S NAME NOT KAORU? XD It's SO WEIRD to hear them call her...Kori? I guess? I can't imagine it's spelled any differently for this show's purposes. XD BUT IT'S SO BIZARRE. XD

EDIT:

Also, "SOMEONE'S GONNA PAY FOT THIS USELESS THUMB I CAN'T USE." LOLOLOL.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 pm

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:It. Is. Awful. :bang: This is not the original Media Blasters DVD realese dub.

Ha ha you think the Media Blasters Kenshin dub was good.

Video very related. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK3bpZPUx3o&feature=related

Second video very related. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlwY_8DHwJw

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Nate (post: 1386610) wrote:Ha ha you think the Media Blasters Kenshin dub was good.

I was speaking relatively. Compared to the Sony dub, the sound of glass stabbing my eardrums is good.

But, objectively, sure it's not the greatest. It does, however, hold a lot of sentimental value for me.

Amazing videos, sir. Simply amazing. The Gatotsu stuff was so funny!
---

Oh, great, Dreamer. More mispronunciations. Wonderful.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh I'm not saying the Media Blasters dub was horribly awful. It's a below average dub at best, but not awful. Kenshin's English voice actor is absolutely fantastic, and a couple of the other voices aren't too bad but overall it is not a good dub.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm

So if I ever consider watching this series, avoid evil redub?? XD!! Yeah, it's pretty bad when another company takes over and ruins it. Reminds me of the dub for Cardcaptor Sakura: The Sealed Card. "Are you alright, Sakuda?" IT'S SAKURA!!!! NOT SAKUDA!!! And people complained about how it was pronounced in Cardcaptors! [/end rant]
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby battletech » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:29 pm

I saw that Hulu had Samurai X. I "knew" that it was not the dub from Media Blasters. Thank you for clarifying my assumptions.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby rocklobster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Drat, and I was all set to watch this because [mod snip] Cartoon Network never aired the stuff past the Kyoto arc and I was curious to see what I missed. Now I guess I gotta save up for the Media Blasters version if I want to find out. GRR! I'm no sub purist, but if you guys are complaining so much, I guess I'll be disappointed too.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm thinking of watching this later for the lulz.

Reminds me of the dub for Cardcaptor Sakura: The Sealed Card. "Are you alright, Sakuda?" IT'S SAKURA!!!! NOT SAKUDA!!! And people complained about how it was pronounced in Cardcaptors!

That might be the result of the dubbers trying to pronounce the names correctly as they are in Japanese.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ormSAkB3iPw

"It feels like I'm watching Speed Racer."
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm

LOLOLOL Oh my GOSH, Crim. That is AMAZING. It hurts me so much to watch this. XDD Poor Saito. Also YOSHI? What is with changing all of the characters' names to end with an I? XD Still, his "STOP IT" rampage was pretty epic. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1386659) wrote:I'
That might be the result of the dubbers trying to pronounce the names correctly as they are in Japanese.

True, but at least the "r" was kept in the other dub, and the actors in Tsubasa say it right. XD!

Now, back on topic....

Sounds like a really bad dub. I might watch it just for kicks!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 pm

I didn't watch this before, but I think I might check it out and cringe and laugh and then be thankful for the 2003 re-dub XD. I miss Richard Hayworth's voice I wish he would dub more things...

He was in an episode of Hannah Montana a year or so ago, that made my day....
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:48 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1386686) wrote:I didn't watch this before, but I think I might check it out and cringe and laugh and then be thankful for the 2003 re-dub XD. I miss Richard Hayworth's voice I wish he would dub more things...

He was in an episode of Hannah Montana a year or so ago, that made my day....

Holy LOL, I would have died. XDD In the WORST way. XD I am not a fan of Hannah Montana, and seeing Richard Hayworth on one of those episodes would have made me cringe just as much as this dub, I think. XDD I would've laughed, though. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm

You might want to just ignore your friend's feeble attempts to identify my attacking style because there is no name for the style in which I am using..."
In the words of my best friend... "KA-WAH!? (Quoi?) What the heck?! XDDDD

And...Slasher? Oh maaan this IS awful... my tiny kenshin fangirl inside is dying over and over again. >_<

Did yahiko really just say, "Stopitstopitstopit STOP HIM!?" Ohhh maaaaiii..

Hearing the Animeworks dub was like music... compared to the Sony version XD

Aww now I feel all nostalgic and stuff and I want to break out my Deeveedees...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 am

rocklobster (post: 1386640) wrote:I was curious to see what I missed.

Nothing at all.

If you've seen through the Kyoto arc, then just go pick up Vol 18 of the manga and read until the end.
---
And yes, Dreamer and Kit-chan, the Kenshin fan inside of me is suffering too.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:42 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1386807) wrote:Nothing at all.

If you've seen through the Kyoto arc, then just go pick up Vol 18 of the manga and read until the end.
---
And yes, Dreamer and Kit-chan, the Kenshin fan inside of me is suffering too.

Ah-Greed.
The "Third Season" of Kenshin is pretty much filler, actually all of it is, and only a few episodes are actually really good.... The Christian Arc was kind of annoying XD, and then there was this crazy feng shui arc that was just really bizarre... O_o

yah... just...just read the manga, or pick up the Reflections OVA if you really want to see it animated. :P

Gosh, I really wish they would just animate the Jinchuu arc >_<
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1386670) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ormSAkB3iPw

"It feels like I'm watching Speed Racer."

I think I'm never going to watch the anime, no matter how fantastic it is, just because this just managed to screw up every character I've ever loved.

Of course, the Media Blasters dub was meh, so I suppose I might enjoy it if I watch it subbed. If I don't think of this.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:09 pm

XD I don't agree that the Media Blaster Dub was "meh" I think for the time it was dubbed it was actually one of the best.

Let's remember, this WAS 2003, there weren't that many great dubs to be found back then...not like there are today anyways.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 am

..............WHY? Why did they need to redub it?!?! *flails angerly* NO!!!! I Grew up on the original! O_O
Kurama

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 am

Kurama wrote:..............WHY? Why did they need to redub it?!?! *flails angerly* NO!!!! I Grew up on the original! O_O

The original dub wasn't the Media Blaster dub, it was the bad Sony one. Look at what I posted earlier in this thread.

It was first dub by Sony in 1999. They tried and failed to market the series in the United States as Samurai X via an existing company. It aired in countries outside of the US and now its on Hulu. Now you know why Hulu has the TV series listed as Samurai X and not Rurouni Kenshin. That dub is also the reason why most people refer to the movie and OVAs as Samurai X.

Then the TV series was later licensed in North America and released on DVD by Media Blasters and kept the name Rurouni Kenshin and what we saw air on Toonami.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 am

Well, I grew up watching the Anime Works, version. I even have some DVDs. and seeing that clip from youtube, I was lucky. o_O; Dang. I was just shocked it even had a re-dub. I understand why Hulu needed to use that, still I kinda would have had them rather not upload it at all then...that.O_O

"Stopitstopitstopitstopit..STOP HIM!!" Wow, saaad Yahiko. XD
Kurama

Postby rocklobster » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:19 pm

At least Media Blasters got the names right! Kaoru doesn't even sound remotely like Kori.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 am

Oh yikes. This sounds terrible. Guess I'll be avoiding that dub... I didn't even know about this. I've only seen the other dub. Thanks for the heads up!
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews