Narcissu, a visual novel

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Narcissu, a visual novel

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:21 pm

This is the story
of a girl whose heart was standing still
and a boy whose breath was being stolen away,
both of whom die.

So you may have heard me talking about this almost a year ago when I read the first game for the first time. Or you may have heard me talk about it over the last few days while I was reading the second game. It's not quite an anime, but I think this is the closest place to where it should go.

Narcissu is a free doujin visual novel about a twenty year-old guy and twenty-two year-old girl named Setsumi. Both of them are terminally ill and are patients in the hospice ward, on the 7th floor of a hospital in Japan, where they meet for the first time. Faced with the choice of either dying at home or in the ward, the girl rejects both and the two escape on a journey.

Narcissu -SIDE 2nd- is also a free doujin visual novel, set six or seven years prior to the events of Narcissu. The story follows Setsumi, while still sick, is not yet a patient of 7F. One day, at the hospital for a checkup, she meets Himeko, a cheerful girl who was a former volunteer who worked with the hospice patients, and now a patient of 7F herself. This is the story of their friendship and their summer together.

I would like to recommend Narcissu to you. Why? I think it's really good, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be recommending it. But, it's also free and officially translated, pretty short (I'd say about two hours each, but I'm a fast reader), and simple (there are no player choices in this). I think visual novels are an interesting medium and I'd like for people who are interested to have a shot at one.

Narcissu's style is very, very minimalist. There aren't any sprites or anything like most other games. Instead, we're given a very narrow, cinematic picture. Since it's so short, we don't spend a lot of time with the characters, but the focus is razor-sharp. This is about the time that we spend with them; no more and no less. If you want a feel for the thing, here's the OP for Side 2nd. It's safe to watch even if you haven't gone through the first game.

For me, Narcissu invoked a feeling that was reminiscent of how I felt after finishing 5 Centimeters per Second. 5cm/s explored the atrophying of relationships caused by physical distance and I'd say that that's something that everyone resonates with. Narcissu explores the hopelessness and helplessness of those who are forced to face their own mortality and wait for their life to slowly drain away from them as well as the effect that has on those around them. Most people will eventually face one of those situations.

For those of you wondering about objectionable content, there is none. The story's told in text and there's very few images, but even there, there's nothing objectionable. I mean, these are people who are slowly dying, after all. Now, that doesn't mean that I'd give this to a kid. This is a story that deals with death. It's also a story where characters deal with their hopelessness. Narcissu -SIDE 2nd- focuses on a character who's a self-described former Catholic and it doesn't shy away from difficult questions. If you can't understand how facing death might change your perception of God, then this isn't for you.

It's a sad story. It's also a captivating story and it's a story that should make you uncomfortable.

You can download Narcissu -SIDE 2nd- for free here. It is cross-platform and comes with the first Narcissu. I definitely recommend playing through Narcissu before going through Side 2nd. After completing both, you unlock the final epilogue. You'll get a choice of translations by different translators and whether to go through the story with voice or not.

Also, I obviously started a thread so we can talk about it, so play it and talk about it here.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

That sounds so sad O___O I heard most VN like that are pretty sad >_> I think I heard about this from Hanny and Friends :-? Do you have a link to the first one ^_^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

What's a "visual novel"??? Obviously, it's not manga if it's posted here.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1386193) wrote:What's a "visual novel"??? Obviously, it's not manga if it's posted here.

It's essentially a video game that's there for the story, with little actual gameplay. The amount of gameplay varies, pretty much just being you choosing a characters actions, and the best known series stateside would probably be the Ace Attorney series. Forgive me if I'm wrong

On another note, I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation blkmage.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1386190) wrote:That sounds so sad O___O I heard most VN like that are pretty sad >_> I think I heard about this from Hanny and Friends :-? Do you have a link to the first one ^_^?

If you download Side 2nd and start a new game, you can choose the first game from the menu, so you don't need to download the first one. I'll link to the site though, since it has a lot of neat supplementary information.

A visual novel is basically interactive fiction, not unlike text adventures. The main thing you'll be doing is reading and scrolling through text. Most visual novels will usually ask the player to make a choice, which is usually the extent of the gameplay, but Narcissu is completely linear and there's no choice-making to be done. In addition to text, visual novels will also use images, sounds, music, and voice to tell the story.

This is what the game pretty much looks like the entire way through (obviously not the same picture for the entire thing).

Ace Attorney isn't quite a visual novel, but it's the closest thing that's well-known outside of Japan. However, there are a ton of anime that are adaptations of visual novels, the biggest ones being AIR, Kanon, and CLANNAD, Fate/stay night, and Higurashi and Umineko.

EDIT: I added it to the opening post, but if you want a feel for what the game is like, here's a link to the OP for Side 2nd. It's spoiler-free even if you haven't gone through the first game.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 am

It's the one year anniversary of the English release of narcissu -side 2nd- and this thread is getting revived because I don't like to duplicate work, but more importantly, I want to get people to take a look at this again. Also, because the translator told me to. And I decided to after listening to the soundtrack for a bit.

But yeah, it's an excellent story that I think not enough people have read and an excellent introduction to the visual novel medium. You should totally go play through both the first one and side 2nd today. It's free and legit and is available on Windows, OS X, and Linux, or as a virtual machine image if you're not on an x86 architecture.
blkmage

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 am

Whoa, how'd I miss this? I'm going to go get it now!
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:14 am

I actually downloaded this a while back (this thread unseen). I should finish it- I just got a lot of wierd things going on with the text (it would change color and go back to a previous scene, repeatedly), that I got frustrated and haven't finished it yet. But I liked the music.
Atria35

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews