80's Romantic Anime Throwdown: Maison Ikkoku v. Kimagure Orange Road

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

80's Romantic Anime Throwdown: Maison Ikkoku v. Kimagure Orange Road

Postby shooraijin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm feeling old and decrepit and I can't find my cane :stressed:, and also I've been watching both KOR and MI the last few weeks.

So now it's time for the throwdown. Which one do you like better, and why?

I'm picking Maison Ikkoku. KOR is a wonderful series, but the plot doesn't hold together as well and the writers made life difficult for themselves with the mind-reading subplot (that they hardly ever used except for yuks or subtle deus ex machinas). Maison Ikkoku, otoh, has a more coherent plot, I like the character design a bit better, and the interactions (while still outlandish) seem a bit more grounded.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby J.R. » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

Maison Ikkoku, IMHO.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:57 am

What makes it better, in your opinion?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:48 am

I haven't seen either of those series but I would really like to.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 am

Maison Ikkoku is one of those fundamental anime classics that all fans should be associated with.

The plot line is very slice-of-life, but manages to grasp a strong level of comical and romantic throwbacks. The characters are incredibly strong and well-developed; the reader quickly comes to understand the lives and emotions of the characters- especially Yusaku.

It is hard to say really why Maison is superior to or not superior to Kimagure. Personally, I have the highest regard for Takahashi and everything she produces. Maison Ikkoku is hands-down my favorite anime, so naturally I have an extreme bias.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 am

I can't help it. I've been in love with Madoka for over twenty years. KOR wins hands down. Although I still don't get why they gave her such awesome guitar pick skills and then made her a saxophone player...
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby J.R. » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 pm

shooraijin (post: 1374781) wrote:What makes it better, in your opinion?

Maison Ikkoku, at least to me, had better character development and a more solid plot. That being said, Kimagure was still a very good series. I like both. I simply like MI a bit more.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:56 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1374820) wrote:I can't help it. I've been in love with Madoka for over twenty years. KOR wins hands down. Although I still don't get why they gave her such awesome guitar pick skills and then made her a saxophone player...

I think Rev Doc would agree with you on KOR.

And yes, P_Sorano, I do tend to favour Takahashi's stuff (though I didn't really get into Inu-Yasha) -- I have all the Urusei Yatsura and Ranma eps, and I just picked up One-Pound Gospel (on VHS!).

shooraijin

Postby Ella Edric » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Is it ok if i vote on something i have no idea about?! XD
Ella Edric

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:42 pm

My greatest hope is that the Maison Ikkoku movie will be released in a properly licensed version (and, if I'm really lucky, with an Ocean Group dub -- I like the voice cast).

shooraijin

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:31 pm

I've only experienced a little bit of Kimagure, but that's just because it didn't grab me like Maison Ikkoku. So I guess the latter wins.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Oooh... Perfectly split vote. I'm tossing my hat into the KOR ring, though. For some reason I just couldn't get into MI.
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:18 am

You'll have to do better than that.

shooraijin

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Because of this topic I just searched up Kimagure Orange Road and I reaalllyy want to check it out now. ;)
But I first want to know if it has anything objectable in it, like nudity/sexual stuff/spiritual stuff/violence/and just anything objectable.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:09 pm

I seem to remember that there was some, and so does ABCB:

http://www.abcb.com/kor/index.htm

I thought that Rev Doc had done a review for us once upon a time, but I can't find it (I might be mistaken). It's not a lot, but there is a bit.

shooraijin

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:08 pm

shooraijin (post: 1377326) wrote:I seem to remember that there was some, and so does ABCB:

http://www.abcb.com/kor/index.htm

I thought that Rev Doc had done a review for us once upon a time, but I can't find it (I might be mistaken). It's not a lot, but there is a bit.

I've always found Anime Cafe (the aforementioned 'ABCB') a reliable source of reviews, even though I've never felt motivated to join their forum. I mention this because otherwise one might think I'm negative on them, and this is not the case. My only real 'gripe' would be that they don't keep up with more recent shows, but I can't actually complain, since as a high-quantity, long time anime viewer I'm probably the exact sort of person they want submitting reviews, and I've yet to get off my duff and submit one to either them or CAA.

At Anime Cafe they only give three levels, "G", "PG" and "M", and frankly their PG tends to cover everything from an MPAA "PG" up to a few that might squeak their way into "R" territory. "Demon City Shinjuku" and the various ADP/BGC series are also "PG", and KOR is hardly in the same league in terms of problematic content.

Their PG rating on KOR is pretty much what the MPAA would have given it too, but only just barely "PG" at that. It's probably one of the least offenders on the list. Note that MI is also PG rated here, and to my mind it is at the same level as KOR (unless you place a high negative value on excessive drinking, in which case MI probably would rate an 'M'. I think more alcohol is consumed on 'camera' in MI than in any other show I've seen, with the possible exception of "Cheers".)

Anyway, Anime Cafe is a very appropriate tangent for this thread! Guess which show has its thumbprints all over the Anime Cafe site? (Hint: look at the URL and the pretty face gracing various logos!)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Yeah, it's pretty obvious which show THEY would vote for!

It is impressive how much booze Ichinose-san, Yotsuya-san and Akemi can put away. Even the manager has a wooden leg in a few scenes.

shooraijin

Postby adam.skinner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:31 am

I guess I have some pretty strong feelings when these two are pitted against one another.

I wrote a "comment" on AniDB as follows:
The aggregate rank of this series must be from reminiscence rather than objective comparison. It was:

* lacking any real storyline.
* No real continuity or character growth whatsoever; it was full of filler episodes. I can see why you'd want to convert a series into a movie now. This would have better been an hour and a half flick than a 48 episode series.
* bad ending. This may be remedied by the OVA and movies that follow, but I'm not really interested in seeing them. Having invested so much time in the series though, I just might.

There comes a point in time in an anime where you're like "this kind of sucks", but the decision to drop the series needs to be balanced against your existing investiture and time remaining.

The esper angle may as well have been tacked on. [spoiler]It did play a prominent role in the end, but most of the time it was comedic fluff.[/spoiler]

The characters were two dimensional. Bad girl now reformed tsundere, bubbly innocent latcher-on, indecisive male lead, jealous but impotent male friend, a pair of troublemakers. Throw in bowl and mix; see what comes out. This story could have been told in 10 episodes or less with nothing lost. To drag it on for so long is a criminal act of American TV proportions.

6.5/10. This show is a pale shadow of it's masterful contemporary, Maison Ikkoku.

Maison Ikkoku, on the other hand, is a gold-standard for rom/com, and stands up well against more modern shows like Toradora! Maison Ikkoku holds an actual story without fillers through nearly the whole series, which is an impressive feat since it's 96 eps long. It feels almost Seinfeldian with it's cast of characters.

Kimagure Orange Road is the most overrated piece of anime I've seen thus far (perhaps 150-200 distinct titles).
adam.skinner

Postby shooraijin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm a big booster for MI, but there are some cliche fillers in it though. The baseball game comes to mind, for example, and the hot springs (not the one where Kyoko goes on vacation). I do agree KOR leaned on them much more.

shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:51 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1377367) wrote:.. I can't actually complain, since as a high-quantity, long time anime viewer I'm probably the exact sort of person they want submitting reviews, and I've yet to get off my duff and submit one to either them or CAA....

This is something you could very easily remedy, right? XD We would be TOTALLY OK with that. :D
Mithrandir

Postby JapanAni » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:26 pm

As much as I adore Orange road there's no contest against Maison Ikkoku, that's one of the best.
[SIZE="2"]visit us here at:: http://www.japan-animation.com[/SIZE]
JapanAni

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 am

shooraijin (post: 1374722) wrote:I'm feeling old and decrepit and I can't find my cane :stressed:, and also I've been watching both KOR and MI the last few weeks.

So now it's time for the throwdown. Which one do you like better, and why?

I'm picking Maison Ikkoku. KOR is a wonderful series, but the plot doesn't hold together as well and the writers made life difficult for themselves with the mind-reading subplot (that they hardly ever used except for yuks or subtle deus ex machinas). Maison Ikkoku, otoh, has a more coherent plot, I like the character design a bit better, and the interactions (while still outlandish) seem a bit more grounded.

I couldn't vote because I haven't seen KOR--but coincidentally I am now re-watching MI.

I love it for its background on daily Japanese life, but by this third go-round, the only characters I don't want to throw off a very high cliff are Asuna, Kyoko and Kozue.

I only want to throw Godai and Mitaka off a cliff SOMETIMES, though.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby shooraijin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Yes, I've often wondered why Godai doesn't dump a boiling hot bowl of ramen on Yotsuya's lap. Then it comes to me: Yotsuya might simply eat it.

Yagami and Sakamoto drive me up the wall, however.

shooraijin

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews