Strangest anime characters

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Strangest anime characters

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 am

One thing I love about anime is the fact that it has the STRANGEST people. I mean, really strange. So who are the strangest characters in anime? Here's who I think are just downright strange:
1. Edward from Cowboy Bebop (has to be number one. You know she does)
2. Osaka from Azumanga Daioh (there's a reason she shows up on TVTropes's page for Cloud Cuckoolanders, folks!)
3. Lain from Serial Experiments Lain (she dresses in a teddy bear outfit. Come on, tell me that's not weird)
4. Shino from Naruto (he's a dude who also talks to bugs. Who live in him. EWW! He's weird and GROSS!)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 am

lol its sad All three of your top are like my anime twins :3 must be pretty weird
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I haven't seen the anime, but I have a feeling that L is a rather odd character. Here is why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2dgOV3lZ1Q&feature=related (warning: one mild swear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00PYVp46fI&feature=related (spoiler death in here, and yes that is the same English VA singing that creepy song)

Oh! And this funny comic (has one mild swear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKT7fqMjZw&feature=related
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Wyntre Rose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm

steenajack (post: 1379498) wrote:Oh! And this funny comic (has one mild swear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKT7fqMjZw&feature=related

Yup, L is a strange one. It's what makes him so darn loveable. lol. Near wouldn't feel too out of place in this company, either. And Silent Reaper's Death Note chibi-spoofs are made of epic win. I've gotten many a stitch in my side reading her stuff.

I would add to the list:
At least half the cast of Baccano! but I think a special mention has to be made for Graham Specter, Claire Stanfield and Isaac and Miria. :)
Durarara!!'s Shinra would fit here rather comfortably, too.
Haruhi from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Nekozawa from Ouran High School Host Club
Hana from Fruits Basket - oh, and Hatsuharu would fit here occasionally, too...along with Ayame (remember how he got out of having to cut his hair in high school?!)
Boma from Heat Guy J - oh, and Claire Leonelli, too. What is it with the Japanese naming guys Claire, anyway? Could account for some of the insanity...

I've got more, I'm sure, they just aren't coming to mind.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Well I'll just enjoy a nice cup of tea while I browse good ol' CAA, I wonder what po-
Wyntre Rose wrote:Yup, L is a strange one. It's what makes him so darn loveable.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:18 am

@Nate: lol XD! If you reacted like that to that little comment, then wait till you what I'm about to say next.

@ Wyntre Rose: Yes Wyntre Rose, I agree. From the clips I've seen, L is a rather lovable character in an eccentric kinda way. :3! I personally, find him rather attractive in mind, personality, and......http://www.animecorporation.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/death_note_05.png http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv136/90no0oni/DeathNote-L.png http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/Gaheri/Death%20Note/leatscake.jpg...what can I say, I find him kinda cute. ^/////^! I haven't even seen the anime yet, but for some reason I feel like I love this character already. But then again, I am really attracted to characters with intelligent minds. Which could explain my affinity for Akira Toya from Hikaru no Go. XDDDDD! Anyway, end fangirl rant. lol! XDDDDDD!!!!

Another weird character in a TV show (not really cosidered an anime): King Bumi from Avatar the Last Airbender. Watch the episode of involving him an you will see what I mean. Just about anyone in Yotsuba& is a bit eccentric (or at least just fun to read about), and then there's Marluxia from the Kingdom Hearts series (he seems a bit odd. :eybrow:)..........ooooo! There's more! I know there's more, I just don't know their names or who they are yet. *facepalm* I will return.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 am

L is socially reclusive, unkempt, has no respect for privacy, lives off junk food, uses people, and you say he's lovable.

I call that unemployable.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 am

:eyeroll: Well, I certainly didn't expect such a violent response to such an innocently meant statement...*wipes tea off her face* Geez, Nate,warn a girl when you're going to spit scalding liquid on her, ok? :lol:

C'mon boys, I meant loveability as a character, not that I want to bring him home to mother or anything...I mean, you guys have characters that you enjoy watching because they are quirky or off the wall, don't you? And unkempt he may be, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't also look appealing as a character. I'll use Steena's first image as my case in point:

I'll take responsibility for wording it awkwardly, though. If I have caused offense (or mental scarring ;)) I humbly beg your forgiveness. 'Twas not my intention.

And steenajack: :hug: You're such a sweetie to back me up so staunchly!
Wyntre Rose

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 am

Well as far as L goes. genius goes a long way...even Sherlock Holmes had his quirks in the Doyle books.

I don't know if this is along the lines of what we are looking for, but Totoro himself is a bit strange. Some might say even alien in nature. He snoozes with little girls on his chest, rides tops and travels in a giant cat.

odd
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby ich1990 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1379699) wrote:L is socially reclusive, unkempt, has no respect for privacy, lives off junk food, uses people, and you say he's lovable.

Let's not forget that when he suspected a teenage girl was working against him, he kidnapped her, blindfolded and chained her up, then interrogated her for three solid days without giving her food, water, or the chance use a toilet. I would say that goes beyond unemployable.

It is certainly strange, though.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:01 pm

ich1990 wrote:Let's not forget that when he suspected a teenage girl was working against him, he kidnapped her, blindfolded and chained her up, then interrogated her for three solid days without giving her food, water, or the chance use a toilet.

Yeah, you're only supposed to do that when you LOVE them, not suspect them!

Anyway I just think the concept of L as lovable is uh...well...I dunno. I can understand finding him physically attractive but to me that would fall more under "cute" or something along those lines, not really lovable.
Wyntre Rose wrote:Geez, Nate,warn a girl when you're going to spit scalding liquid on her, ok?

But if the liquid is lukewarm or cold I don't have to warn you right?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok, a rewording of my post seems to be in order, since my initial post seems to have not conveyed my feelings very accurately - which is unusual for me, since I'm usually a pretty decent communicator - and I think I've subsequently disturbed some people...

Wyntre Rose (post: 1379511) wrote:Yup, L is a strange one. It's what makes him so darn interesting. lol.

Better? ] Nate:
But if the liquid is lukewarm or cold I don't have to warn you right? [/quote]

LOL...I guess I set myself up for that one, didn't I? :hits_self Well, Nate, I'd appreciate not being spat upon at all...color me crazy, I just have this weird aversion to it...but if you'll at least give me a heads up on the scalding liquids, I'll try not to hold the rest against you. Deal? :lol:

Also, I knew I'd remember a few more strange characters to list:
Barry the Chopper from FMA - no matter which version you are following
Komui from D Gray Man
Yukari-sensei from Azumanga Daioh
Wyntre Rose

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I submit Sophita from Casshern sins.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

L has got to be the most awesomely strange and fascinating anime character I've ever encountered. If I start watching or even thinking about him too much, I catch myself holding things by my fingertips... XD

Barry the Chopper is pretty strange, but very fun in a gruesomely murderous sort of way.

Several characters from Kodomo no Omocha are pretty strange. Sana herself, with all her wacko quirks and obsessions, and the way she breaks into song at least once an episode.
But she's got nothing on her mother, the famous writer who wears funky hats with a squirrel on her head, and drives around her house in a little red car to run away from her editor.

Dio Eraclea from Last Exile is just wacko, as is Dilandau from Escaflowne.

Vash the Stampede from Trigun is pretty strange from time to time, but not in an insane sort of way. Just odd quirks.

...and I know there's more.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 am

Watching Black Cat, and I have to submit to this thread: Creed Diskenth. That guy has some issues. o.0
Wyntre Rose

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:08 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1379699) wrote:L is socially reclusive, unkempt, has no respect for privacy, lives off junk food, uses people, and you say he's lovable.

The sad thing is that he's probably the second most likable character in the series. I will admit that while I strongly dislike Death Note, I am fond of Matsuda.

Edit: Oh, before a riot starts, I suppose most people liked Soichoro, so I thought I should mention that I didn't like him that much.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Roz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:34 pm

L is socially reclusive, unkempt, has no respect for privacy, lives off junk food, uses people, and you say he's lovable.

ROFL

Dio Eraclea from Last Exile is just wacko

Took the words right off my fingertips.

I present this as evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD53021NDNE
Roz

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1381700) wrote:Watching Black Cat, and I have to submit to this thread: Creed Diskenth. That guy has some issues. o.0

LOL! Yes, yes, I must submit Creed as well. I think he is the strangest one I can think of. Though, I admit I've gotten past the seething hatred for him to a he's-so-insane-I-almost-sort-of-like him. . . :)
MightiMidget

Postby Rewin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:21 pm

I can't remember the name of the chick from Fooly Cooly, but she was bizarre O.o
Rewin

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:36 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1382489) wrote:LOL! Yes, yes, I must submit Creed as well. I think he is the strangest one I can think of. Though, I admit I've gotten past the seething hatred for him to a he's-so-insane-I-almost-sort-of-like him. . . :)

Things are definitely more interesting when he's around, that's for sure! :lol: The other villains in the piece feel pretty flat compared to him.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Ladd from Baccano! Why isn't he here?
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Tamaki from Ouran Host Club- even after reading so much of the manga and seeing the entire anime, this boy is an odd one. Goes off into wild daydreams, always imagining the worst (overactive imagination!:eyeroll::cool:), always wanting to do these crazy out-of-nowhere things... I love him, but he is not the boy next door!

...Oh, wait! That's the point! ;)
Atria35

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Hara Hara Haruko and Naota's pervy dad and gramps from FLCL

Kimura-sensei from Asumanga

Tina from Ai Yori Aoshi
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Sapphire225 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Well, my list is:

1. Ladd Russo (Baccano!, then again, like someone mentioned before, a good portion of the cast doesn't have it all together in the head)
2. Edward (Cowboy Bebop)
3. L (Death Note, I mean c'mon; he has a logical brain and all but he's a barefoot, crouching, eyebrow-less detective that eats sweets his entire life)
4. Excel Excel (Excel Saga; ...actually, she should be at the top of my list for obvious reasons :eyebrow:)
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Strange anime characters?

The first one that popped in my head was Mr. Icchan from Angelic Layer XD!!! But him being strange is why he is one of my favorite characters.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Why are all the doctors on Yuu Yuu Hakusho BIZARRE, evil and disgusting, unless they're walk-ons?

The hideous Dr. Ichigaki and the even more hideous Kamiya come to mind. O_o
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 pm

ALL of them.
Seriously, people walking around with eyes that are two-10 times bigger than normal is very strange. Also gravity defying hair...while not impossible certainly won't win you one of those office jobs XD.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby steenajack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1403388) wrote:ALL of them.
Seriously, people walking around with eyes that are two-10 times bigger than normal is very strange. Also gravity defying hair...while not impossible certainly won't win you one of those office jobs XD.

ROTFL! :lol::lol::lol:

Also, I would like to second Mr. Icchan from Angelic Layer AnimeGirl. WTHECK was he up in a tree with a fish-biscuit in his mouth playing with the cats?!?!? O_o Still, I love the guy lol :lol:
And in other news:
Yuki Azuma from Princess Nine: Normally she's quiet and doesn't say much, but when she does talk the wierdest things come out of her mouth. She has a doll which she claims is an alien named Fifi, who sends her messages from space.:eyebrow:. ....WTHECK? Still, for some reason, I can't help but like this character.:)

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1403388) wrote:Seriously, people walking around with eyes that are two-10 times bigger than normal is very strange. Also gravity defying hair...while not impossible certainly won't win you one of those office jobs XD.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]
Tohru Honda (Fruits Basket) FTW!!! I swear, her eyes are freakishly large...seriously, it kinda freaked me out! Girl must buy eye drops by the gallon! It took a bit of digging, but I found this picture of yours Kitchan that pretty much sums up my thoughts on Tohru's eyes--

http://fav.me/dzpo7v

ANYWAY...here are my pics:

Strangest Female Character - Radical Edward ("Cowboy Bebop")

Edward is one of those characters that, once you see her, you will never forget her. Her eccentricities go beyond all norms, and that's part of her charm! She speaks in riddles, types with her toes, and found an intellectual equal in a Welsh Corgie dog.

Strangest Male Character - Kensuke Aida ("Neon Genesis Evangelion")

Without violating our DnD policy, I have to say that, out of all the chracters, Kensuke is the one that I understand the least][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Hmm, I like the strange characters.

Walker from Durarara!
Father from Azumanga Daioh
Ayame from Fruits Basket (him I didn't like)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews