Should Avatar: The Last Airbender Be Considered Anime?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Should Avatar: The Last Airbender Be Considered Anime?

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Basically, what the title says. I'm just doing this for fun and to see what other people think about the show. I'm a big fan for this series, so you'd think I'd just go and choose the first one. But, honestly I'm stuck between the first and third choices. So anyway, just go ahead and have fun with this. Please no flaming, bashing, or anything that would suck the fun out of this thread. Just want to keep the piece here is all; this is not meant to be very serious at all. Enjoy! :lol::lol::lol:
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 pm

No, it shouldn't.

I'm not really up on Avatar. I know what it is, I can recognize it, though I couldn't tell you much about it. However, I think its dangerous to apply labels to a medium like that.

One of the reasons I enjoy Anime as a medium is because it's not really held down by anything. There are no necessary genre conventions, it's a concept more than a style. The problem is the minute you start to label things by what they appear to be, you limit what they can be. Why would you think Avatar is Anime? Because it carries certain Anime sentiments? If so, then you're confining Anime within those sentiments. Is it because of the art style? Is Anime even one art style? There are certain characteristics prevalent in Anime, yes, like there are in anything, but they shouldn't define it. A mystery will usually have a murder and a murderer, but a murder and murderer isn't necessarily a mystery.

Avatar isn't Anime. It's ours, which is very much the same thing, but is also different in its own way. It's just as problematic to associate it with Japanese animation as it is to disassociate it with American animation.
Fish and Chips

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:29 pm

US cartoons = American animation

Japanese cartoons = Anime or Japanese amimation

[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Thank you guys for your input. :3!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:57 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]In the official sense, no. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is not an anime. Unofficially, I would put it in the "honorary Anime" position because it does share some attributes with anime, and it's storyline would make a GREAT anime series.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:02 pm

They're actually making a LIVE action of this, looks cool, it's just called "The Last Airbender" (I need to see the cartoon XD). I'm not really sure what to say about this (especially since my bro and I are working on an anime, and not being Japanese, does that mean it's not an anime? ????), so I guess my vote is: I'm lost..... XD
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ADXC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 pm

It's not anime. It's American animation as Roy said.

However, it is still some of the better American animation I've seen in a while.
ADXC

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1379565) wrote:They're actually making a LIVE action of this, looks cool, it's just called "The Last Airbender" (I need to see the cartoon XD). I'm not really sure what to say about this (especially since my bro and I are working on an anime, and not being Japanese, does that mean it's not an anime? ????), so I guess my vote is: I'm lost..... XD

I highly recommend the TV series. It is pretty amazing. X3! Wonderful story, and it's pretty clean too. XD! you may even like it yourself. :rock:

And about your anime, I'd say don't worry too much about whether people consider it an anime or not. Just write what you love and don't let people's petty little arguments bother you. :D! If you enjoy what you do, do it. Doesn't matter if people think it should be considered an anime or not.

BTW,(if you don't mind me asking) how is that movie you're doing coming along?

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby GAINAX » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:15 pm

In the Literary sense Avatar isn't an anime, Japanese animation = Japanamation = anime, but in the sense of style I'm not sure if I'd consider it anime either.
It's good, but its more akin to American action cartoons with more storyline and better characters.
-Formally known as O)m
GAINAX

Postby Ella Edric » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I say "Who cares?..." XD It's a totally awesome show!!!! But, if it were up to me, I would say that it is kind of a mix between anime and american animation.^__^
Ella Edric

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 pm

I don't think it's anime because it doesn't have Japanese involvement, but I haven't watched the series. It looks good though. I'll see if my local library has them.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TGJesusfreak » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Love the series. I think it's a mix between american and japanese animation. It has similar elements to anime.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:23 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1379532) wrote:No, it shouldn't.

I'm not really up on Avatar. I know what it is, I can recognize it, though I couldn't tell you much about it. However, I think its dangerous to apply labels to a medium like that.

One of the reasons I enjoy Anime as a medium is because it's not really held down by anything. There are no necessary genre conventions, it's a concept more than a style. The problem is the minute you start to label things by what they appear to be, you limit what they can be. Why would you think Avatar is Anime? Because it carries certain Anime sentiments? If so, then you're confining Anime within those sentiments. Is it because of the art style? Is Anime even one art style? There are certain characteristics prevalent in Anime, yes, like there are in anything, but they shouldn't define it. A mystery will usually have a murder and a murderer, but a murder and murderer isn't necessarily a mystery.

Avatar isn't Anime. It's ours, which is very much the same thing, but is also different in its own way. It's just as problematic to associate it with Japanese animation as it is to disassociate it with American animation.

Actually, this is one of the most compelling arguments for your side that I've seen. I'm convinced to switch my opinion by dint of what you've said.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 am

Generally speaking, I don't see the usefulness in the distinction outside of "Hey, this cartoon is from Japan!"

The term seems a bit redundant as well. It's not like I hear about people who do not speak French running around calling French animation "animé". People generally refer to it as "French animation".
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:21 am

I tend to agree with Roy Mustang.

Avatar is most definitely not anime. That being said, it is one of the greatest american cartoons to ever be made. It has a great story and .....I could go on.

A decent definition of anime I hard once was 'japanese cartoons made for japanese people'
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1379761) wrote:I tend to agree with Roy Mustang.

Avatar is most definitely not anime. That being said, it is one of the greatest american cartoons to ever be made. It has a great story and .....I could go on.

A decent definition of anime I hard once was 'japanese cartoons made for japanese people'

By that definition, the Big O's second season would not be Anime as it was merely made by Japanese people but was not, in fact, intended for Japanese audiences.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ScalpelFactory » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 pm

It's not made in Japan, therefore not anime. It borrows heavily style-wise and all that, but 'anime' is a defining label here in the US. The more we keep it that way, the better.
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1379817) wrote:By that definition, the Big O's second season would not be Anime as it was merely made by Japanese people but was not, in fact, intended for Japanese audiences.

This could open up an interesting debate.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby RainbowSounds » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Eh. who care's? It's an awesome show, anime or not.

Technically I suppose it wouldnt be anime since it's not made in Japan....but whatever.
"Life is like woodshavings. Except when its in a pail, because then its a pail of woodshavings."
RainbowSounds

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:45 pm

What Fish said.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby J.R. » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I really don't care what it's considered. It's a good show.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I really like how this thread is going. I enjoy hearing other peoples opinions about the show. X3!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 pm

I think that definition that "it has to come from Japan" is faulty.

Really, it's more like Japanese animation...what if a team of German artists or a group from any other particular nationality or ethnicity made an animation in Japan...would you still call it anime?...just some food for thought, not trying to start a fight or nothin'...
ST. Attidude

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1379532) wrote:No, it shouldn't.

But there is a notable difference between Japanese animation and American animation in art style. Even though there is a great diversity of art styles in anime, you can still recognize it as anime.

It depends on which term you want to use. If you think of anime as a general art style(like how one would define the artwork of a particular period of time like the Renaissance) then yes you could say Avatar is anime.

If you consider it merely Japanese animation then no Avatar isn't anime.

We have all our catchphrases in the anime world. Anime sounds cooler than cartoons and fanservice sounds more innocent than suggestive themes. Lawl.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:07 pm

ScalpelFactory wrote:It's not made in Japan, therefore not anime.

By that definition Naruto and Bleach are not anime.

Since they're animated in Korea.

So you might want to pick a better definition than "Made in Japan" because otherwise most anime isn't anime because they're animated in cheaper countries.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Frankly, as long as it's got big, saucery eyes, I'm gonna call it Anime no matter what anyone else thinks. It's a style, and a style can be practiced by anyone, anywhere.

Besides, American or Japanese, it's still going to be actually ANIMATED by Koreans, which makes the whole "country of origin" thing pretty pointless.

EDIT: Dang it, Nate beat me to it.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Since Blitz posted I'll just make a new post rather than edit my old one.

I'll go further than what I said about Naruto and Bleach. You might respond by saying "Oh well the IDEA came from Japan so therefore it's anime even if it isn't animated in Japan." By that logic, the new Iron Man and X-Men anime aren't anime because the idea came from America, even if it's being animated in another country. Also by that logic Transformers: Animated IS an anime because Transformers is a Japanese creation.

Just throwing that out there.

Also,
Blitz wrote:Frankly, as long as it's got big, saucery eyes, I'm gonna call it Anime no matter what anyone else thinks.

So you call Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse anime?

Nate

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Y'know Nate, that theory might make the most sense, I mean by golly, even Spongebob Squarepants is animated in Korea, and you don't see anyone labeling it so, because from what I can read, its the identities of the creator(s) that have the final say...
ST. Attidude

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 pm

I would define anime as "A series that is primarily planned and written in Japan."

This seems to be the most fitting definition. As I said, then the Iron Man and Wolverine anime series would be anime, because although the characters are American, the anime series is being primarily planned and written in Japan, regardless of where it is being animated, as well as being why Spongebob Squarepants is not an anime, even if it is being animated in Korea the same as Naruto is (because it is primarily planned and written in the US).

Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:15 am

Yamamaya (post: 1382291) wrote:But there is a notable difference between Japanese animation and American animation in art style. Even though there is a great diversity of art styles in anime, you can still recognize it as anime.
My point is once you reduce defining something to one thing, you make it that one thing, and hinder its ability to be or become anything more. Yes, certain artistic trends and styles exist in Anime, but if you're going to classify something as Anime because the art style looks the same, it becomes entirely about the art style. By that logic any Manga that borrows heavily from Western art is An American or European comic, and any Anime a cartoon.

Side Note: I am well aware that Manga means comic, and Anime animation; I am merely using them as exclusive terms to make my point easier to understand.
Fish and Chips

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews