What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 am

GeneD (post: 1373386) wrote:Have you seen Pitch Black? It's the first Riddick movie and IMO much better than Chronicles.

>_> Well, seems I'm one of the few people who has seen both movies and thought Chronicles was awe-some. Maybe it's just because I accidentally watched Chronicles first, but I really like the epic feel to it, and the twist at the end, and all the characters and cool stuff that happened. (Besides, you have to admit that "I'll kill you with my teacup" is one of the coolest lines ever.) They really are such different movies that they almost shouldn't be in the same series, but I like them both. And I don't see what you mean about Riddick's character being different. Seems to me he's pretty much the same, except in Chronicles he shows a bit more depth - which, if you ask me, is always a good thing.

Anyway, I saw Facing the Giants for like the fourth time. Lol, I watched that way too many times in the hospital this summer. Still, good movie.

And I saw the Spanish movie El Orfanato (The Orphanage). :wow!: Woah, what an awesome movie! A bit disturbing, with the ghosts and mediums and all that, but I thought the acting was really good, and I so loved the camera techniques they used throughout. (With the handheld cameras and super-long shots, it felt like Shyamalan, who is my favorite director.) It was also cool that I could understand most of what the little boy said with my unsteady Spanish, though the adults talked way too fast and with far too much complexity for me to really follow. I didn't know that the movie was a horror movie (...ish), so the scares never failed to surprise me. There was one that was so unexpected and out of nowhere that I actually leapt back with a yelp and clapped my hand over my mouth and stayed that way for two whole minutes. It was also a touching story about a mother's desire to be with her son, though I didn't like the message they seemed to be giving at the end about how death is better than life.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:28 am

Tonight I watched King Kong (1933)

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1374478) wrote:And I saw the Spanish movie El Orfanato (The Orphanage). :wow!: Woah, what an awesome movie!
I'll second you on that.
GhostontheNet

Postby FatherG » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:07 pm

The Orphanage was pretty good! So was Pitch Black.

Well, today I sat down and pulled together a bunch of movies I haven't seen before but two stuck out to me the most.

1776 -
A movie based on the days leading up to and the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Mainly following John Adams and Bejamin Franklin; as the newly found Congress argues for several months. Amidst the arguing and yelling are catchy musical numbers and humor among the gentlemen of the time, using actually exchanges between the men that occurred.

Burglar -
Whoopi Goldberg, Bobcat Goldthwait, G.W. Bailey, and John Goodman wrapped together in one hilarious comedy of epic proportions. Though, the language is like an electrocardiograph, up and down constantly, the constant humor tossed around back and forth keeps you clutching your sides the whole time.

FatherG

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 am

Tonight I watched Teeth.
GhostontheNet

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:22 am

The Wolfman ...meh, should have been MUCH better given the acting talent in this movie.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:16 am

Tonight I watched Beetlejuice.
GhostontheNet

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:18 pm

I watch Noriko's Dinner Table (the sequel to Suicide Club) the other night. I thought it was pretty much the inversion of the first film: where Suicide Club starts out compelling but looses steam at the end, Noriko stats out kind of dull, but boasts a great climax.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Not too long ago I saw The Black Cauldron, Ran, and The Cutting Edge.
ST. Attidude

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Tonight I watched Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:31 am

Tonight I watched The Bride of Frankenstein and May.
GhostontheNet

Postby Adie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 am

I just watched Letters from Iwo Jima.
Adie

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 pm

I just got back from watching The Crazies. Brilliant film. While it doesn't depose any of the films on my top 13 list, it easily makes the top 25.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:44 am

Tonight I watched King Kong directed by Peter Jackson.
GhostontheNet

Postby eternalprincess » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Predator

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 pm

We saw the Fifth Element recently. It's a great movie :)
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 pm

I really should have been updating this thread more often. Off the top of my head, this is what I've seen recently:

Sweetie- Jane Campion

Ugh. I hadn't ever seen a Jane Campion film until this one, and if it weren't for the wonderful things I hear about The Piano, I probably wouldn't bother to watch any more. I did not enjoy this film, to say the least. While it has some fantastic metaphorical devices, it fails to be interesting because the characters are all so very annoying. Normally a good plot could save a film with this problem, but unfortunately the story was entirely character based.

Le Boucher- Claude Chabrol

This was a wonderful movie. The mystery has been done a thousand times, but this is not the focus of the movie. The extremely odd romance between the two leads is the movie. Extremely interesting movie.

Besieged- Bernardo Bertolucci

I was highly skeptical of the movie's premise, but it turned out to be far more than the sum of it's parts. A pianist falls in love with his housekeeper

Light spoilers, but this movie is best if you go in knowing as little as possible:

[spoiler]and upon confessing this to her, discovers that she is not only married, but that her husband is a political prisoner. [/spoiler]

Hiroshima, mon Amour - Alain Resnais

This romance film is completely and fully an allegory for the political relationships between certain countries during and after WWII. This is the movie that Resnais made after trying and failing to make a documentary about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as he felt that he could not do the event justice.

Sita Sings the Blues - Nina Paley

This was a very interesting animated movie. It intertwines four styles of animation very successfully, and manages to stay coherent while juggling what is essentially four different narrative voices, three of which are telling nearly the same tale. Pretty incredible.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 pm

I watched Sita Sings the Blues recently as well, and was baffled at first but grew to like it before the end.

I just finished rewatching Star Trek IV, V and VI. Good times.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sheol777 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1377976) wrote:

I just finished rewatching Star Trek IV, V and VI. Good times.

Nice....I might just do all the movies again through Netflix.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:42 am

Started watching Nim's Island, and will probably finish it tomorrow. While not the best movie I've ever seen by any standards, Abigail Breslin is always a joy to watch (now there is a girl who will grow up into a beautiful woman), and the author's character coming alive and talking to her made me grin stupidly. Minus the agoraphobia, that's me all the way through.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 am

Tonight I watched Pan's Labyrinth.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Tonight I watched Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.
GhostontheNet

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 am

Yesterday I watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory-- I still think it's much better than the remake.

Last night I watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture with my husband. Actually we started it a few nights ago but couldn't stand it any longer, so we decided to watch the last 40 minutes of it last night. It is the last time I will watch that film. I mean, it's just...not good. Long, loooooong pan shots that serve virtually no purpose other than showing off special effects, stiff dialogue, stiff cast, thin plot. Even the costumes are bad.

After it was over we watched The Wrath of Khan, to get the taste out of our mouths. Next to the first film, this film is a perfect gem.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sheol777 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:22 pm

The Surrogates: I liked the questions it raised, but wished they delved more into the psychology of it.
Sheol777

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:02 am

Over the past 12 hours, I watched Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, American History X, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
GhostontheNet

Postby Adie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:44 pm

I just saw Alice in Wonderland with my mom. We both liked it a lot. :)

And I watched Where the Wild Things Are a few nights ago. It was amazing~
Adie

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Just got back from the Sherlock Holmes film. Unfortunately, the sound mix in the theater I went to was horrible - painfully loud and kind of distorted at times - so we missed pieces of dialogue. Kind of like watching a foreign film where you have a decent grasp of the language, but there are still things that you can't quite follow...at least, that's what it seemed like to me. The music in it was really cool, though, even if it did drown out half of the dialogue. I left the theater saying, "I don't know if I'll buy the movie, but I want that soundtrack!"

A bit more violent than I was expecting, but the twist of hearing Holmes' inner calculations as to where his fist would do the most damage was a pretty interesting idea, I do admit.

When we first sat down to watch, and commented on just how loud the sound in the theater was, I turned to my mom and said, "well, it's Edwardian England, so at least there won't be any loud explosions or anything like there is in the trailers."(the Clash of the Titan's trailer was excruciatingly loud)...uh, yeah, so much for that idea!

During the first...about 10 minutes...I began to think I was going to hate this movie, but it really grew on me, and by the end I enjoyed it enough that I decided to rent it when it came out so I could watch it with a decent sound mix. lol.
Wyntre Rose

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 am

Tonight I watched Zombieland and Big Fish. As I commented after a bleak channel flip following the films, "It looks like today's a day for the American carnival."
GhostontheNet

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:35 am

I just finished rewatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy. These films really are special-- I've seen them many times, but they still give me chills and move me to tears.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 am

Over the past 12 hours, I watched Ed Wood and Emma: A Victorian Romance Vol. 1.
GhostontheNet

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:32 pm

I watched "The Seventh Seal" tonight. I should probably rewatch it, but I enjoyed it.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment