Lent

Talk about anything in here.

Lent

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 pm

What are you guys giving up for Lent?

You don't have to be Catholic to participate! That is a myth =).

The idea is simply to abstain from something that you enjoy for 40 days; and any time that you feel the urge to satisfy your desire for that thing, your mind and heart are turned toward Christ. You ask Him for help in your Lenten commitment/sacrifice to Him, and you reflect upon how great His own sacrifice was. After all, here you are (I am) "suffering" because you sacrificed x,y, or z, but Christ truly suffered and truly became/made the ultimate sacrifice. The upshot of this exercise is that, through prayer and reflection that we wouldn't normally participate in, we grow closer to our Lord.

I am nixing sweets and non-diet soda. I am a big sugary soda drinker, so this will be difficult! With God, all things are possible, though =].
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm planning to give up chocolate as well as Castle Age and Happy Aquarium on Facebook for Lent. Sure won't be easy, but I'm hoping that denying that part of me will help teach me something better.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:42 pm

What are the dates for Lent this year? *too lazy to count on my calendar XD *
Mithrandir

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Starts on Wednesday, the 17th of February and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 3rd of April.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1372834) wrote:What are the dates for Lent this year? *too lazy to count on my calendar XD *

17 February (a week from tomorrow) through 3 April. "The six Sundays in Lent are not counted among the forty days of lent because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter", a celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death." - when-is.com/lent
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Lynna » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Hmmm...our family/church usually forgets days like this however, I am wondering...what if I were to give up anime/manga for lent?
hmm...probably a bad idea...might succumb to temptation to easily...still...it's an idea...
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

I will be doing the normal thing as giving up meat and fasting on Fridays.

Then I will give up chocolate.

[color="Red"]
[font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang [/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm giving up wrestling on TV. I practically watch them every day, so it's a good thing to give up.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1372816) wrote:What are you guys giving up for Lent?

You don't have to be Catholic to participate! That is a myth =).

The idea is simply to abstain from something that you enjoy for 40 days].

ganbatte! :thumbsup:

Last year I gave up potato chips---SUCCESSFULLY. I myself can not believe this.

This year I am giving up cake---and also teh innerwebs, Friday through Sunday.

I will give up something small and different each day as penance also: maybe watching a favorite show, having music on while I cook, I don't really know until it happens.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:11 am

Fat Tuesday means that Lent is upon us! Today I am going to drink a ridiculous amount of soda and have an amazing dessert. I will pray for everyone's Lenten commitments.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Gelka » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 am

Eh, this year is gonna be hard. I decided to give up all sweet drinks. @.@ I hope everyone else remains faithful to their commitments and remember Sunday ya get a break! ^^
Gelka

Postby Wikiwalker » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 am

I've decided to give up TVtropes. I spend way too much time on that site.
~~~~~~~~~~~

[color="DeepSkyBlue"][font="Book Antiqua"]"I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will."-- Henry David Thoreau, Walden[/font][/color]

[color="Pink"]TGJesusfreak: Is the chatroom gonna self destruct or somethin?
Chatbot: Yes[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="PaleGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
Wikiwalker

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Cheers to you guys and gals giving up all sweets and chocolate! My job is stressful so giving up chocolate would be like a coffee-addict switching from caffeinated to decaf. XD So, I'm going to be reflecting more, praying, trying to participate in the stations of the cross (which I love but never get to do due to work! x_x), and most importantly trying not to swear and or curse AT ALL, not even "carp" as we, here at CAA like to call the c word. XD
yukoxholic

Postby ADXC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:31 pm

We actually had a Shrove(Fat) Tuesday pancake supper today. Although we don't particularly celebrate lent, I think I'm actually going to participate this year.

The thing that I'm going to give up is sweet tea and soda beverages. This is going to be extremely hard for me considering I drink sweet tea everyday at every meal just about, but I have lived off of just water before so I think I can do it.
ADXC

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 am

And so...it begins...*bum bum BUM*

@rockbluster - lol, I used to be big into wrestling. It's a tough one to let go.

@yukoxholic - man, yours is TOUGH...I don't think I could do it. A noble cause...God be with you!

I am already craving a sugary soda, but that is OK. Self-denial is a good thing. Also, in addition to any hardships or difficulties, lent is a season of joy. Again, praying for you all as the season of Lent officially begins! For all the Catholics on the board, I hope you enjoy and are blessed by your Ash Wednesday service!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 am

I change what I'm giving up as we had a talk on church today that you shouldn't tell others what you are giving up. That its between you and God.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby F.M Disciple » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:01 pm

I'am giving up Funimation.com This is a big sacrifice for me because the anime I'm currently watching is posted on that website. I'm also abstaining meat on Fridays.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Ingemar » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:00 pm

I am observing Lent. Out of a spirit of humility (Matt. 6:16-18) that is the only detail I am giving.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:02 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1374187) wrote:
@yukoxholic - man, yours is TOUGH...I don't think I could do it. A noble cause...God be with you!

Thank you very much! I wanted it to be something difficult and challenging for myself and though I do not "curse" a lot I do find myself slipping more which isn't a good thing. XD Good luck with yours as well!
yukoxholic

Return to General