The XXI Olympic Winter Games

Talk about anything in here.

The XXI Olympic Winter Games

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm

It's been almost four years since the last time we saw the world's athletes compete in the cold, so on February 12-28, the nations will gather over in Vancouver, Canada.

This will mark the third time that Canada has hosted the Olympics, in Montreal (1976) and Calgary (1988).

The official emblem of the Vancouver 2010 games is that colourful guy up there, Ilanaaq the Inunnguaq. Ilanaaq is the Inuit word for friend. It's based on a particular Inukshuk that serves as a landmark in Vancouver.

In 2010, the world will be watching Vancouver, British Columbia, which is Canada's third largest urban centre (after Toronto and Montreal). It's a pretty nice place and much more moderate than is normal for our country that's normally embattled by snow and ice. As a major Canadian urban centre, it shares a lot in common with Toronto and Montreal, boasting a diverse, multicultural population and is one of the most livable cities in the world and one of the most expensive in North America.

British Columbia is the westernmost province of Canada and borders the Pacific Ocean. It was the sixth province to join Confederation in 1871 and today, it is the province with the third-largest population in Canada, behind Ontario and Quebec. Its seat of government is the city of Victoria and Vancouver is its largest metropolitan area.

Canada is the country that sits atop the United States like a funny hat. It was formed as the Dominion of Canada in 1867 by the British North America Act. It is a constitutional monarchy, modelled after the Westminster system. This means that Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, etc. is our head of state, with Her Excellency The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General representing the Queen in her duties. We also elect our governments (lead by the Prime Minister of Canada), which sits in the House of Commons (which is a part of the Parliament of Canada, located in Ottawa, Ontario), where there is often a lot of rowdy shouting going on.

Canada is made up of ten provinces and three territories. It is among the most developed nations and largest economies in the world and features pretty awesome coloured money. Since WWI, Canada has played a major role in the world, being a major participant in WWII, introducing the concept of peacekeeping during the Suez Crisis, and leveraging its status as a middle power throughout the Cold War. It has the highest per-capita immigration rate in the world, is officially bilingual (English and French), and has officially adopted multiculturalism.

The mascots are these fellas, which are inspired by real Canadian animals (not really). Miga is a sea bear, which is part orca and part bear. Quatchi is a sasquatch who dreams of playing for Team Canada as a goalie. Sumi is a part bird, part bear, part orca. There's also an unpictured marmot, Mukmuk, who's their sidekick. Also, despite what clever shoops you may encounter, Pedobear is, in fact, not a mascot.

Image Image

The official motto for this Olympics is With glowing hearts/Des plus brillants exploits, which are two different lines (English and French) from Canada's national anthem, O Canada:
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

So now that you have the proper prerequisite knowledge of your awesome hosts, let's all go on to the hype and speculation. How well are you expecting your country to do? What sports are you going to be following? Will Canada's men's hockey team meet our expectations to not suck (like in 2006) and bring home the gold on home turf? How many loonies do you think are going to be secretly buried under the rink at GM Place?

[SIZE="7"][color="Red"]CA[/color]NA[color="red"]DA[/color][/SIZE]
blkmage

Postby Lynna » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm

YAYYYYYYYY!!! GOOO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!! And it's in my province to :) ^-^ unfortunaitly...I feel that the government did a bit of a foolish thing having the games at such a poor economic time...I don't think there is a single person in my small, rural village who can afford to go. so, in the end, we are paying (through taxes) for something we won't even be able to see first hand...
However, I still support my country. [SIZE="7"][color="Red"]GO C[color="White"]A[/color]N[color="White"]A[/color]D[color="white"]A[/color]![/color][/SIZE]:rock::rock::dizzy::thumb:
As for the number of loonies under the Ice, it is my guess that there will be just one, in the very centre of the Ice:lol:
P.S I saw the olympic torch when it came through my town! AND I played in the band !!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Looks like the IOC may have a problem with the Whistler Sliding Center, which is considered the fastest track in the world with speeds reaching 95 mph in training this week.

Luger from Republic of Georgia dies on lightning-fast track.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I won't be watching the Olympics this time around for a few different reasons (none of which are related to the fact that they're held in Canada XD). But those mascots are adorable.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 pm

The opening ceremonies are tonight at 6 pm Pacific / 9 pm Eastern.
blkmage

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 am

It's really sad about the Georgian athlete. I hope there's no more accidents and we can all have a fun, safe Olympic Winter games 2010.
[SIZE="6"]GO [color="Red"]U[/color][color="White"]S[/color][color="Blue"]A[/color]!!![/SIZE]
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 am

My dad and I absolutely crack up over Curling. That is seriously the most entertaining sport to watch.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:36 am

So other than the FAIL GET team torch lighting, the opening ceremonies were pretty cool. I was delighted that we got a vice-regal salute and that it was the Governor General doing all the ceremonial stuff (and not the Prime Minister) because I really like Michaëlle Jean. Also, Team Canada's got the best looking uniforms. In addition to the mittens, I really want one of those scarves.

The cultural part of the ceremonies was pretty neat, mostly because of the pretty lights. We've got our giant bear and whales, Quebeckers fiddling in the moon, Maritimers tapdancing on fire, flying over the Prairies, and skiing, snowboard, and skating. Also nice to see a variety of famous Canadians carrying the Olympic flag in.

WELCOME TO CANADA
blkmage

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 am

I actually caught the opening ceremonies to these late last night, probably when it was on its second run. XD They were really cool though! I didn't get to see the whole thing, but I'm so fascinated by what they can do with technology like projectors and screens and lights. XD I'll probably be less likely the watch the actual games themselves, but I always find each country's opening ceremony to be really neat to watch. XD Good luck to all the players, though!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Congratz to Swedish Ski jumper, he just won gold!!
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:11 pm

So a botched opening ceremony and a guy dying on the luge because the track was unsafe. GG Canada. Truly you are the king of the Olympics.

Honestly I don't really care about the winter Olympics though. I just thought I'd be antagonistic for no real reason. :3

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Nate (post: 1373744) wrote:So a botched opening ceremony and a guy dying on the luge because the track was unsafe. GG Canada. Truly you are the king of the Olympics.

Honestly I don't really care about the winter Olympics though. I just thought I'd be antagonistic for no real reason. :3

blkmage

Postby battletech » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 am

The only thing I really want to see is the halfpipe. To see if White will win gold.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:30 am

ヘタリア 2010 (linked the page-breaking version):

And here's where I found it. Also, pixiv has an entire tag ([url=http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=ヘタリアでVC五輪]ヘタリアでVC五輪[/url]) for this.
blkmage

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 pm

blkmage (post: 1373835) wrote:ヘ]Image[/URL]

And here's where I found it. Also, pixiv has an entire tag ([url=http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=ヘタリアでVC五輪]ヘタリアでVC五輪[/url]) for this.

Haha that's a neat pic. But why is Italy grabbing that chicks jacket? And how come USA got his flag backwards?
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Rusty Claymore wrote:But why is Italy grabbing that chicks jacket?

Because he is the man.

Though wait, this is manga/anime. How are you so sure that's a chick? OH GOD IT'S JUN WATARASE ALL OVER AGAIN.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Goshdarnit, this thread is making me wish that a) I had an antenna/cable TV and b) that I wasn't so set on sticking it to NBC by not watching.

Oh well. USA! USA!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1373918) wrote:Goshdarnit, this thread is making me wish that a) I had an antenna/cable TV and b) that I wasn't so set on sticking it to NBC by not watching.

Oh well. USA! USA!

Well, from what I've heard, even if you would watch NBC, you probably won't.

Apparently, they're trying to show as little of it as possible. I know they were showing women's cross country when they could've been showing men's downhill and snowboard cross. Or showing the local news and a juicer infomercial during men's moguls.

It manages to make me thankful for CTV, a broadcaster that I typically loathe (although I still miss CBC's coverage).

Also, I've been watching many fun things like Canada's womens hockey team destroying Slovakia 18-0, Brits figure skating to Linkin Park, Alex Bilodeau's moguls run that got us our first home gold ever, and a few counts of American doing a last-minute snatching of our gold medal position. (;´д⊂)
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Well, apparently due to some kind of stupidity, NBC stands to lose something like 200 million big ones on the Olympics this time 'round. Maybe that's why they're not showing much of it, but that doesn't even make sense.

Oh wait, we're talking about NBC here.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:58 pm

blkmage wrote:Well, from what I've heard, even if you would watch NBC, you probably won't.

They have been showing here more on USA Network, MSNBC and one channel that I'm glad that I get, the Olympic channel, which is own by NBC.

So far, the Hockey games have been on USA Network, other then one was on NBC.

I understand why they are spreading it out, but you would think they would put more on NBC that is a local channel then non local channels.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Reon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Watching the women skiers todays - wipe out heaven.

One of the girls wiped out, totally looked like a guy came and poked her with a shovel. As if he were gonna scoot her off the slope for the next one. We lol'd. Sad to she her wipe ='(
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Reon (post: 1374456) wrote:Watching the women skiers todays - wipe out heaven.

One of the girls wiped out, totally looked like a guy came and poked her with a shovel. As if he were gonna scoot her off the slope for the next one. We lol'd. Sad to she her wipe ='(

I know I saw that too!
"We've got another one Frank!"
"I'll go get the shovel."
---------------------
Snowboarding has got to be one of my favorite winter Olympic sports, GO SHAUN WHITE!
Bringing home another gold!
wildpurplechild

Postby airichan623 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Go go shaun white!!!!!!!!

I <3 the winter olympics!!!!!

Y'all r haters. :D

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby blkmage » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:50 pm

So I haven't been watching much of anything but men's hockey since our women's team will likely be destroying everything in their path until they're up against USA and I've got a midterm to study for. On that note, I found Canada's performance against Switzerland to be fairly lacklustre and I'm slightly worried about how they will be doing against the States tomorrow afternoon. But that crowd tomorrow should be plenty intense.
blkmage

Postby wildpurplechild » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Oooh! I'm so glad Appollo Ohno could get that bronze in the race with the two Canadians and two South Koreans! I wasn't sure he'd get it for a bit, but he pulled through once again. One question though, why wasn't their another USA skater (I've been busy so I haven't watched enough to know why) ?
wildpurplechild

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 pm

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Hey guys I'm not really following the Olympics much, could someone tell me who won the Canada/USA hockey game? Because I'm not sure who it was. It would be great if someone told me.

Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 pm

America was here, Canada is a loser.
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:33 am

I have not been able to watch the games on the nights they air, but I have been watching some stuff on demand. I will have to catch that hockey game sometime over the next the next couple of days. In a very unmanly move, I have watched (and enjoyed) the pairs and men's solo figure skating (both short progs and free skate). My wife is really, REALLY into it, and I wanted to hang out w/ her...what can I say? Much to my amazment, though, the stuff was extremely compelling, especially the men's. Speaking of: ANOTHER GOLD FOR THE U.S.! Since my soccer team, Liverpool, has not been fairing so well, it felt pretty nice to be cheering on someone who eventually won.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 am

Nate (post: 1375523) wrote:USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Hey guys I'm not really following the Olympics much, could someone tell me who won the Canada/USA hockey game? Because I'm not sure who it was. It would be great if someone told me.

Fish and Chips (post: 1375524) wrote:America was here, Canada is a loser.

Also this

( ´_ゝ`)
blkmage

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:27 am

Also want to point out that was the first Olympic win over Canada in 50 years in hockey.

I also watch the Finland vs. Sweden hockey game with Sweden winning 3 to 0.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Next

Return to General