Heroic Age....is it good?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Heroic Age....is it good?

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:08 am

Upon my desperate search for anime that is fairly clean, and of the purchasing of such titles like Angelic Layer, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and xxxHOLiC, Amazon.com gives me a recommendation of a sci-fi/fantasy anime entitled Heroic Age. Dubbed by FUNImation (so it should have an awesome voice cast!) it caught my eye and I clicked on it. It's the entire series, but split into 2 parts, Part One and Part Two (why can't they just sell it AS a complete series? Oh well...). The plotline sounds interesting, and the reviews sound promising, and the animation looks pretty crisp and beautiful, and by reading 1 of the reviews, it sounds like there is no bad content I need to worry about (it might be as clean as Tsubasa!). Now, since I am surrounded by fellow fans of anime, and some of you with the similiar mission of mine to crawl, dig, and search for clean and non-offensive anime, what is your report on Heroic Age? I am HIGHLY considering sinking money into buying this. I like the idea of an action-packed anime with an engaging story (I love action, but not if it's just random acts of violence, there needs to be a story to be hooked upon!).
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:24 am

Heroic Age was something I planned on watching the moment it came out but never did. I later watched it and regretted not doing so asap. xD

It's an epic space opera with its own originality yet classic way of doing things. The story is pretty deep and engaging and the cast of characters, while not thoroughly explored, are pretty well done. I gave it a 9 out of 10 on my MAL due to its story and execution.

Heroic Age is extremely clean. There's one female character that's well-endowed in the chest, but that's it. I don't remember any cursing but there may be a "****". It does have some roots in Greek mythology, particularly of the Heracles tale, but it's obviously fantasy so it should be no problem.

I highly recommend checking it out if you're looking for an epic yet clean anime.

Also, there's a reason for a Part 1 and Part 2 but I won't spoil.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm

You can watch it legally for free on Hulu, Funimation's website, Funimation's Youtube Channel, and Anime News Network's video channel.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Oh awesome. Thanks, guys! I'll probably check it out. Is it in English on FUNI's YouTube channel?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:40 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1369142) wrote:Is it in English on FUNI's YouTube channel?

Only the first 4 eps are dubbed on their website and youtube channel. Gomen. Do you prefer dub over sub?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:04 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1369152) wrote:Only the first 4 eps are dubbed on their website and youtube channel. Gomen. Do you prefer dub over sub?

Okay. And yeah, I usually prefer dub over sub. I do not mind hearing it in Japanese, though (since I am learning it), but I do like to hear it in English (especially FUNI dubs). So I can deal with watching either.

AnimeGirl

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Huh. They actually had the entire English dub uploaded a few months ago. Must have taken it down since then.

Anyway, it was a solid show. It's not the kind of space opera you see in anime all that often so it's worth checking out if you enjoy sci-fi.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby steenajack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Hmm, I might like to try this too. XD!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 pm

So I watched the first 4 episodes in English. A bit hard to understand at times, BUT NEVERTHELESS AWESOME!!! And Monica Rial's in it! Yay! (I think she's become one of my favorite voice actresses for dubbed anime).

AnimeGirl

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews