Biblical Crowning Moments of Awesome

Talk about anything in here.

Biblical Crowning Moments of Awesome

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 pm

What are the most awesome moments in the Bible? Let's discuss.
For me, it will always be when Jacob wrestles with an angel...and wins!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm

This thread has the likelihood of getting ugly fast!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:46 pm

"From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths." - 2 Kings 2:23-24

Best. Story. EVAR.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:09 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1368298) wrote:"From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths." - 2 Kings 2:23-24

Best. Story. EVAR.

THIS.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Uh oh, looks like Rocklobster got into the TVTropes.

Judges is chock full of awesome moments, like Samson smacking around a bunch of Philistines with a donkey jawbone or carrying off a city's gates. God making the world from nothing was pretty awesome, too. Or Judah getting their enemies to fight each other by singing and filling a valley with water. But the best one would have to be
[SPOILER]Jesus' death.

He gets better.[/SPOILER]
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 pm

I'd have to say the obvious: Jesus' saving us haha!

BUT besides the obvious: I think the holy spirit coming was pretty cool haha!

I really need to read the biblical stories more XD I usually just read the stuff that has good morals...

*ME FAIL*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Reon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am

The bear verse is off the hook <3

2 Samuel 23 - <3 David's Mighty Men
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:10 am

Balaam's talking donkey. That's pretty awesome - though humbling for Balaam.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 am

See my sig. And that's all I have to say about that.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 am

REALLY Fat guy. Sword. Locked door.

Awesome. I'd so love to make a movie or TV show about Judges.

EDIT: I wanted to use a different link for the fat one, but I don't think it would have made it through CAAs censoring, and... well, probably wouldn't have been allowed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 am

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1368298) wrote:"From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths." - 2 Kings 2:23-24

Best. Story. EVAR.

I FRIGGEN LOVE THIS STORY! I ALWAYS HAVE! We used to shout this at our youth leader after the verse was pointed out to us. He was this large dude and bald. He'd warn us about the bears. Thankfully there were no bears close enough to maul us.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Reon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1368408) wrote:I FRIGGEN LOVE THIS STORY! I ALWAYS HAVE! We used to shout this at our youth leader after the verse was pointed out to us. He was this large dude and bald. He'd warn us about the bears. Thankfully there were no bears close enough to maul us.

Ahahahaha! My youth pastors bald - Can't believe I didn't even think of that
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1368408) wrote:I FRIGGEN LOVE THIS STORY! I ALWAYS HAVE! We used to shout this at our youth leader after the verse was pointed out to us. He was this large dude and bald. He'd warn us about the bears. Thankfully there were no bears close enough to maul us.

He should have reminded you that the Lord would not find this issue particularly difficult to overcome...

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Ingemar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 am

Saul's conversion.

What? Does every "awesome" Bible story require homicide?
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:08 am

Ingemar (post: 1368419) wrote:What? Does every "awesome" Bible story require homicide?

You know it gurlfran.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 am

Congrats, Lobby, on losing your life to TVTropes. It's better than Satanism, at least? Except it cost more.

Bobtheduck (post: 1368406) wrote:REALLY Fat guy. Sword. Locked door.

Awesome. I'd so love to make a movie or TV show about Judges.

EDIT: I wanted to use a different link for the fat one, but I don't think it would have made it through CAAs censoring, and... well, probably wouldn't have been allowed.

This! Win! Poor guy lost his sword...

Best. Story. EVAR.

I love asking our bald youth pastor if he's ever set bears on anyone.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

Ingemar (post: 1368419) wrote:Saul's conversion.

What? Does every "awesome" Bible story require homicide?

Not so much requirement as coincidence.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Okay then, time to make a real post. Of course, some of these won't seem very awesome unless you know exactly what I am thinking, but I can't describe what I'm thinking because it would turn into a debate. Oh well!

The first one is when God is talking to Job after having been silent for so long, and asks where Job was when He made the universe, and questions like "Have you been to the bottom of the ocean? Have you seen the gates of death?" and inserts this statement into the middle of His rant:

Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years! - Job 38:21

This next one needs no introduction, but I'm going to post the John version of the story because Jesus acts way cooler in that one than in the other two:

"So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables." - John 2:15

CRACK THAT WHIP.

Last one:

Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." - Luke 13:1-5

Nate

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

rocklobster (post: 1368283) wrote:What are the most awesome moments in the Bible? Let's discuss.
For me, it will always be when Jacob wrestles with an angel...and wins!

Jacob doesn't win. The angel struck him, Jacob's hip went out of joint and he walked with a limp from then on.

One of the most awesome moments in the Bible to me (other than Christ's resurrection) would be the healing of the blind man. The disciples asked Jesus why the man was blind. Was it because he sinned? Was it because his parents sinned?
Jesus replied that he was born blind so that the power of God may be shown through him. And then Jesus heals him. Gives me assurance that God has a purpose for me being born with my disability and that He will use it for His glory.

Also Elijah and the prophets of Balaam. That was awesome.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 pm

The anecdotes of David's mighty men. I can't remember their names offhand, but there was one who killed an enemy with his own spear, one who killed some Philistines over a field of lentils, and another who fought so long and hard his own sword stuck to his hand.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm a pretty big fan of the book of Jonah. At the end, Jonah gets angry at God because, as he says, "You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity."

God responds by providing a bit of shade for Jonah, then taking it away. Jonah then became angry about the plant to which God replies, ""You had compassion on the plant for which you did not work and which you did not cause to grow, which came up overnight and perished overnight. Should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?"
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Sheenar (post: 1368483) wrote:Jacob doesn't win. The angel struck him, Jacob's hip went out of joint and he walked with a limp from then on.

Genesis 32:24-25 "And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him."

Hosea 12:4 "Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed:"

Hmm. Must be open to interpretation. I've always read this as, while it was still a fair match, Jacob was winning ("prevailing"), so the angel used his powers to escape.

EricTheFred

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Another favorite moment is when that woman caught in adultery is about to be stoned by the mob and Jesus sets them straight by saying "He who is without sin must cast the first stone."
Crickets chirp in background as crowd disperses.
Then he pulls the biggest surprise of all and actually forgives her!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 pm

There's actually a page on tvtropes.org for Crowning Moments of Awesome in the Bible.

Another one to me speaks for itself: Deborah, only recorded female judge of Israel.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Numbers 22:27-30

When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat her with his staff. 28 Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"

Balaam answered the donkey, "You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now."

The donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?"
"No," he said.

I like how he starts arguing with the talking donkey as if it is perfectly normal. And how the donkey owns his emotional response with logic.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:17 pm

I liked when Jonathan and his armourbearer slew 20 philistenes CQC. "for there is no restraint to the LORD, to save by many or by few." first part of 1 Samuel 14. I like it because I don't think I'll ever slay 500 men with an ox-goad, or sway thousands with my dicipleness, so these smaller acts of faith seem reachable. Of course, Rad, Shack, and Benny gettin thrown in the furnace is awsome since they were expecting to die there. They stated that God could save them, but even if not, they wouldn't yeild.

All the best stories in the Bible involve violence of some sort, haha.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:01 pm

As gruesome as they are, the incident in Judges where a woman literally bashes Abimelech's skull with a piece of millstone, and in 2nd Samuel where someone throws an enemy's head over the wall to Joab. Not sure who it was who actually did it, but reading that it was a woman who said it would happen? Awesome!

K. Ayato

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 am

I like the part where God slaughters the firstborn of Egypt! That was SO COOL!

No but seriously guys, I'm with Ingemar here. I think we can all agree the bear thing is pretty sweet but why does everyone seem to be listing a bunch of stuff where people are slaughtering others? I mean yes okay it happened in the Bible and we can't change it but I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be glorifying wholesale murder.

And we whine and moan when people say religion is violent and evil...

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 am

How many of the "crowning moment of awesome" entries in TV tropes (not referring to the Bible page) are based on violence of some sort? I'd wager over half... Probably over 3/4. There's nothing to be ashamed of when you find something in the Bible awesome that involves violence.

I honestly can't think of any other examples that just make me go "woah" besides the Ehud one, and possibly Jesus overturning the money changers and his dealing with the Samaritan woman. The last two are awesome because Jesus is GOOD and yet he did things many people would be uncomfortable with any maybe even view as WRONG. They weren't wrong, though.

"My ways are not your ways, and my thoughts are not your thoughts"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:52 am

There's so much random awesome stuff in Judges besides people beating each other up with jawbones and iron spikes (oxgoads). Like this one guy, he shows up for maybe 3-4 verses, and it says, essentially, "There was this guy. He had a bunch of sons who all had their own donkeys. He was awesome."
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Next

Return to General