Monster

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Monster

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:51 pm

Thanks to Mr.SmartyPants for this great Monster review! (And thanks to kryptech for looking the content over for me ;).)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:42 pm

Yay! Thank you!!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Linksquest » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:59 pm

GREAT REVIEW MSP!

MONSTER IS LOVE! hahaha. It is one of the best animes i have ever seen. GREAT ART STYLE!!! I am soo in awe of it's amazing original realistic style. Their water and glasses are like... amazing (yes... i am weird and pay attention to such details!). The music added to the suspense, and the characters were well rounded. There was definately good acting involved to evoke emotions from me, as well as me feel empathy towards them.

LINKSQUEST'S RATING: "AAA" AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME! (or in other countries translated: Also Adults Allowed
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby avidrkfan » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Monster is definitely one of the most thought-provoking animes I've ever seen. It's the poster child for that saying, 'No good deed goes unpunished.'

Mr. Smartypants' review was well articulated and well reasoned. The nudity/sex aspects really bothered me, but he's right - they weren't put there for fan service but instead they were included to give the viewers a realistic sense of the depravity of the European underworld.

Monster is a story about adult characters - something rarely seen in anime - and Tenma is an all too human hero. He has no superpowers or giant robots to help him, only his strong sense of moral duty and that gets severely tested throughout.

It's an amazing anime, and the review caught the salient points perfectly.
avidrkfan

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 am

Okay, so I did read the review, but I'm still sort of paranoid about how graphic the sexual content is? I'm loving what I read of the plot and strength, but am wondering basically how to avoid the mentioned bits and parts due to my extremely low tolerance for visuals.

EDIT: I'm guessing this was the wrong place, sorry! :oops:
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 pm

No penetration or anything and no genitalia. But there are chest shots time to time. I think there's also some sex scenes which aren't graphic visually but perhaps more graphic auditory.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews