To Horo or Holo

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

To Horo or Holo

Postby hey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm almost half way through the dub of Spice and Wolf*, and for the most part the name change from Horo to Holo hasn't bugged me too much. Part of it because I saw the first episode at AWA and it was dubbed, and the second because they don't say her name too much. Still in spirit it bugged me a bit that they bothered with a name change. I've noticed this isn't the first time this has happened with a character in anime. For example Lina Inverse apparently is Rina Inverse.

So for my questions.

Do you Horo or Holo?
Do name changes bug you?
Do you follow a general rule when talking about a character with aliases?
Do you know why they do the name changes?

(*Please try to avoid spoilers in your reply.)
hey

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:20 pm

It doesn't bother me because her name is Holo.[quote="Yen Press"]Also, just to quickly address the comment about the decision to use “Holoâ€
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:27 pm

When it wasn't official, lots of people said Horo (I was one of them because come on, Holo?). However if the creator says "No it's Holo" then that's that, that's her name. I think blkmage also said in one issue she writes her name down and it clearly says "Holo" so that would confirm it, much how the wanted posters in One Piece confirm Luffy and Zoro's names. I still remember the first scans of One Piece where they named him as "Rufi" because that's how it sounds in Japanese.

This kind of thing happens all the time in manga and anime. I also remember the old Death Note scans with "Raito" in them. But then I remember what someone on another forum said: Honestly, the Death Note pronunciation is freaking weird, since there's no way the average Japanese is going to look at a kanji and say "oh, it's spelled like 'tsuki' but you say it 'Light'".

OH JAPAN.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm

[spoiler]It's Korbo[/spoiler]
More seriously, if you pronounce it properly in Japanese, it doesn't matter, because they both sound the same and are equivalent. In most cases, it doesn't matter, so if you really want to, just go with whichever one makes you feel less awkward. On the other hand, there are the cases where people insist it's Arucard, to the dismay of most right-thinking people.
blkmage

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:10 am

It's just like how Kirara in Inuyasha is often pronounced Kilala.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby hey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 am

Ah that makes sense. I've decided I'll go with Holo which will take some getting use to.

That's good to know that L and R are the same for the Japanese. That clears up a lot of confusion I've had over the matter. I guess that means they'd get really confused if you started talking about the "role of lore" in society. ;)
hey

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews