Geocaching!

Talk about anything in here.

Geocaching!

Postby ADXC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Today, I went Geocaching with my friends today in various unique places near our dorm. Geocaching is basically a high-tech treasure hunt involving coordinates that are given to you and you go to those coordinates to find a random item. You need a GPS, a good amount of friends with you, to think out of the box, and lots of patience . We went to two places in all, but only found one of the items. It was a necklace. So we replaced it with a ring that one of my friends had. When you do find the item, you need to replace the item with one of your own with the same value or so.

Basically this is pretty fun and it is something to do with nothing else comes to mind. You can do this anywhere! Geocaching is worldwide with locations everywhere, I believe. You just have to go!

Here's a link to the site to get started.
http://www.geocaching.com/
ADXC

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Sounds fun ^__^ I'm assuming you do get your item back, right (lol) ^__^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ADXC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Um no, you don't get the item you leave back. You need to leave an item there so that others can find the item. This is what Geocaching is all about. Having fun, but also being nice to others by letting them share in your fun. Because it is not fun to come upon a container after much searching and find nothing inside it.

Do not put items in the container that are worth something to you. The idea is that you put something that really doesn't mean anything to you, but that it might have some value to the Geocacher.
ADXC

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Ah, alright then ^__^ I wonder if we have anything like that over here ^__^ I shall have to look into this ^^ Sounds like a great group game ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I love geocaching!

My friends and I have found about 100 of these over the last few months, scattered all throughout the cities we live in.

About 90% of them have been the type which simply has a log of who has found the cache, though. We've found a few trackable items, which were on their way around the world!
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ADXC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm

It is, but remember it's not the destination, but the journey. It is not required to find the item in order to have a good time. I believe that even though we were not too successful that we got to see great sites that we have never even been to before.

@ Cog-Nice! I'm happy for you! It is a very fun game.
ADXC

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 pm

ADXC (post: 1366625) wrote:It is, but remember it's not the destination, but the journey. It is not required to find the item in order to have a good time. I believe that even though we were not too successful that we got to see great sites that we have never even been to before.

This is the best part of geocaching, honestly. You will find yourself in all kinds of interesting places you wouldn't have found otherwise. In addition, it teaches you to look places and notice things that you wouldn't have otherwise.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ADXC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes, of course! And we did notice a bunch of interesting things. I'm happy that we did it. I may have the chance of going again tomorrow, but I'm not sure.
ADXC

Postby Arya Raiin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Ooh! My youth group should SO do this! XD
Arya Raiin

Postby ADXC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Yeah, this would be especially good for youth groups, as long as one person has a GPS.
ADXC

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I need to try this! There are even some around my little town!

UPDATE: Tried it. But to our surprise, there was too much snow! (Not...)
But I was reminded of how much our state loves snowmobiles. There is a sign on our state trail that says, "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES - Except Snowmobiles."
Ante Bellum

Return to General