Throwback

Talk about anything in here.

Throwback

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Has anyone tried pepsi or mtn dew throwback?
If you did, what did you think?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:12 pm

I tried Pepsi Throwback this summer.

It has a strange aftertaste, but it's better than the regular Pepsi. XD Coke is far superior. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm

I actually haven't heard of this before, which is surprising, seeing as how I'm a soda junkie. I'll have to hunt that stuff down.

(Coke IS better, though)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Pepsi Throwback is pretty good.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1365607) wrote:Pepsi Throwback is pretty good.

Does the cane sugar make that big a difference? It does for Dr Pepper, but you have to special order the Dublin Dr Pepper variety (expensive!). We could taste the difference, though.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 pm

... Does it count if one used to drink soda back before they switched from sugar to HFCS?
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

shooraijin (post: 1365609) wrote:Does the cane sugar make that big a difference? It does for Dr Pepper, but you have to special order the Dublin Dr Pepper variety (expensive!). We could taste the difference, though.

Ask midori about the time I sprung a cola taste test on the class he was in. I think he was the only one that actually got every brand (including off-brands) correct. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Sparx00 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I've tried both Pepsi and Mountain Dew throwbacks. I think the Mountain Dew with actual sugar is better then the regular junk they have now. The throwback Pepsi was also better then the current Pepsi.

But that's just me. I'm not exactly a soda connoisseur.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I found that they taste better than the normal formula varieties.

I do have to agree, though. Coca-Cola is far better than Pepsi. Especially if you can get the Coke made with cane sugar.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 pm

By the general thrust of this thread, throwbacks are "old" recipies, right? I'm guessing that coke cola didn't join in... but where would you get a "throwback" soda? I'd probably have to order online, which would be dumb.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1365621) wrote:By the general thrust of this thread, throwbacks are "old" recipies, right? I'm guessing that coke cola didn't join in... but where would you get a "throwback" soda? I'd probably have to order online, which would be dumb.

Throwback is the term that Pepsi is using for their 'original recipe' cane sugar versions of their drinks. They're available widely actually... I found it at Wal Mart.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:02 am

To me, the real sugar versions go down a lot smoother than the HFCS versions, and stay fizzy longer. I don't have scientific proof or anything, but that was my observation. XD

I had Mexican Coke one time, aka Coke with real sugar, and it was really good. Gotta find some of that stuff again sometime.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 am

I bought the Mountain Dew ones and well, they didn't taste any different than the regular ones to me. *shrug* Maybe years of junk food have destroyed my taste buds or something.

Although when I was in the Navy, we got sodas from wherever we happened to be at the time, and I can say that the Mountain Dew sold in the Middle Eastern countries tastes radically different than the stuff we have here. They also have weirder openings in the cans.

Come to think of it maybe I DO have ruined taste buds. I remember trying the cherry Dr. Pepper and it not tasting any different than regular Dr. Pepper to me. Also I think Coke tastes better than Pepsi, but Diet Pepsi is far better than Diet Coke. I also for some reason am not able to handle any of the citrus sodas (7-Up, Sprite, Sierra Mist) beyond a sip or two.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:17 am

Mithrandir (post: 1365611) wrote:Ask midori about the time I sprung a cola taste test on the class he was in. I think he was the only one that actually got every brand (including off-brands) correct. XD

Figures. *pokes Midori*
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 am

shooraijin (post: 1365666) wrote:Figures. *pokes Midori*

Not sure why, but this made me laugh xD;

I've never tried either of the throwbacks, but I should ^__^ Is it a limited time thing ^__^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:09 pm

shooraijin (post: 1365609) wrote:Does the cane sugar make that big a difference? It does for Dr Pepper, but you have to special order the Dublin Dr Pepper variety (expensive!). We could taste the difference, though.

It actually makes a massive difference. For one, it doesn't leave the same sticky grainy feel on your teeth. For two, the taste is actually much better. I loved the stuff for pepsi. They never had the Mt. Dew one around when I was looking. Of course, it was nigh impossible to get the pepsi here as well.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the soft drinks here use cane sugar as standard....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Warrior4Christ (post: 1365717) wrote:I'm pretty sure the soft drinks here use cane sugar as standard....

What does it say about my country that this is something for us to be excited about?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1365721) wrote:What does it say about my country that this is something for us to be excited about?

What does Throwback say about my country that this is something for us to be excited about?

Warrior4Christ

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:04 pm

I can taste a distinct difference between the Mtn. Dew types.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Warrior4Christ (post: 1365724) wrote:What does Throwback say about my country that this is something for us to be excited about?

It says that your country's main crop probably isn't corn, and that it's likely that you don't have corn lobbyists. :)

mechana2015 (post: 1365794) wrote:I can taste a distinct difference between the Mtn. Dew types.

Most definitely. Standard Mt. Dew seems more syrupy, while Throwback is actually very smooth.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Also Australia probably doesn't have ridiculous sugar tariffs like the good ol' USA does.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 pm

I just had a 20oz bottle of the Pepsi throwback and all I can say is. I wish they would keep it this way. I love pure cane sugar in soda.

Last year, I had a Reading Rootbeer, when I was in Pa. If you like rootbeer, then you need to try this stuff. It is made with pure cane sugar and its better then any other rootbeer that I had.

As for Coke and Pepsi. I can drink both and don't really like one over the other.

When I do drink Coke or Pepsi, I drink caffeine free Coke or Pepsi about 98% of the time. I can drink both Coke and Pepsi by the bottle or fountain, but I will only drink Coke in a can. Pepsi taste funny in a can for me for some reason.

But most of the time, if I'm going to drink a soda it will be Sierra Mist, Fanta and Tahitian Treat then Coke or Pepsi.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:03 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1365724) wrote:What does Throwback say about my country that this is something for us to be excited about?

I realise that doesn't make much sense, since I must have misread it the first time... (I kinda just woke up, okay?)

Cognitive Gear (post: 1365807) wrote:It says that your country's main crop probably isn't corn, and that it's likely that you don't have corn lobbyists. :)

Yeah, apparently Australia produces more sugarcane than the US.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1365820) wrote:Also Australia probably doesn't have ridiculous sugar tariffs like the good ol' USA does.

Wow, what's with the anti-sugarcane biassedness?

Warrior4Christ

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Basically it's difficult to grow sugarcane in America. Farmers complained, so the government put huge import tariffs on sugarcane to protect sugar farmers, as well as putting a limit on the amount of sugar that could be imported.

Then of course, high fructose corn syrup was discovered, and America is really good at growing corn (plus, the government subsidizes it), so this makes it a lot cheaper to get than sugarcane, which can really only be grown in the most southern states like Florida and Louisiana.

So difficulty in growing it, plus the huge import tariffs and quotas on sugarcane, and the cheapness of HFCS is why we use it so much more.

Nate

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Having tried both Throwbacks now, I have to say I'm a little disapointed with the whole cane sugar thing. There's this vaguely Splenda-like aftertaste that I don't really dig. That said, I actually DO like the Throwback Pepsi better than regular, for what little that's worth.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Nate wrote:Then of course, high fructose corn syrup was discovered, and America is really good at growing corn (plus, the government subsidizes it), so this makes it a lot cheaper to get than sugarcane, which can really only be grown in the most southern states like Florida and Louisiana.

And Hawaii. Hawaii and south Florida would be where most of the US sugarcanes come from.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Huh, so they apparently brought the Throwbacks back AGAIN (I remember buying them like a year ago or so, then they vanished, so that's why I said they weren't here, but now they ARE again). So I bought one the other day and tried it and...I still don't taste any difference whatsoever between regular Mountain Dew and the Throwbacks. I even tried! I tried to mentally fool myself by going "It'll taste a lot smoother, it'll be a bit sweeter, it will taste better than the regular kind because cane sugar makes all the difference." And it still tasted exactly. The. Same.

Again I'm willing to admit my taste buds are just broken, but I think honestly that it is more a psychological effect than a physical one. People just want to think cane sugar tastes way better so the effect is that though it tastes the same, their brain fools them into thinking it's better. See, I bought it saying "Hmm, cane sugar, wonder if it tastes any different than the regular kind." Since I had no predisposed notions to the taste, I had no psychological effect, and was able to taste it more clearly.

And before someone says "No really it does taste different honest and truly!" I would immediately refer them to placebo studies, where a simple sugar pill containing no medicine can have the same effect as an actual drug (in fact, that's how placebo studies work, if the pill has roughly the same effect as a placebo, the drug is considered to be a failure). The brain's belief that they are receiving real medicine is sometimes enough to help fight the disease/illness, even though the pill has no medicinal value. So there is a precedent for people's beliefs affecting things like that, and a psychological effect of "This has cane sugar therefore better taste" is extremely likely (and probably the case).

Nate

Postby ich1990 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Sorry Nate, but when I went to England to visit with a missionary family, I frequented a pub and got a Pepsi. I drank it right down and immediately ordered another. At the time, I assumed that it tasted so good because it came from a pub for some arcane reason. When I bought a few cans from a grocery store and drank a few glasses on a train, though, they tasted the same: great.

It was only until after I got back from the trip that I learned that England Pepsi was (is?) made with sugar, not corn syrup, which accounted for the large difference in taste.

All that being said, I have yet to try Throwback or see it in stores. It is entirely possible that Throwback doesn't use the same recipe that England did (does?). It would make sense that they would dial down the sugar in the recipe or some such thing considering it is more expensive. Regardless, I tasted a major difference between corn syrup and sugar, enough to make stop and take notice even though I was under the impression they were the very same products.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1365638) wrote:To me, the real sugar versions go down a lot smoother than the HFCS versions, and stay fizzy longer. I don't have scientific proof or anything, but that was my observation. XD

I had Mexican Coke one time, aka Coke with real sugar, and it was really good. Gotta find some of that stuff again sometime.

Heck, I think we have some of that at Walmart. It's in the glass bottles.

I'd kill for Coke to regularly be made with cane sugar. I'd be willing to pay a little more for it.

Coke FTW.

Also, I have yet to try the Mtn Dew throwback. I don't really want to by a 12 pack :\

Also, why do they use hfcs instead of just corn syrup? I've got nothing against using corn sugar... Nothing really against hfcs either, but you know
Shao Feng-Li

Next

Return to General