Have you faced a similar situation before?

Talk about anything in here.

Have you faced a similar situation before?

Postby Sammy Boy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Due to space limitations in the home, I've come to realise that I cannot continue with all my interests.

Transformers toys take up too much room, so I've placed them into storage boxes and then into the garage.

LEGO takes up even more space, as I need not only storage space, but also a building area. So they also go into the boxes.

I want to keep my interest in comics, but I know they too, will eventually take up a lot of space (local library does not have comics for me to borrow, and there is no "comic renting service" in my city the way you can rent DVD movies), so I think I will stop buying comics.

The other interest left to me is gaming, since game discs take up relatively little space. However, whilst I enjoy playing video games, I consider myself more of a casual gamer and can't really see myself playing games for hours and hours.

I'm curious and would like to know, have you ever faced a similar situation, and if so, what was your decision (apart from moving to a bigger place, which is not a realistic decision for me)?
Sammy Boy

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

If you are really desperate, maybe a mini storage could help. Maybe large cabinetry would help clear up floor space, if that is your problem.
Ante Bellum

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Shelves. Lots and lots of shelves. (on the wall shelves would be the cheapest and the most customizable for whatever stuff you have (size wise), but if you can't start drilling holes in the wall, and if you can find some good, inexpensive bookshelves, those would work too).

It all depends on how big everything is, or how much space they all take up now.

Otherwise, one of the options I've taken in situations like these is getting rid of some of the old stuff before I get new stuff. This may be impossible, but it's an option to look into if you want to avoid overcrowding.

Or you can buy a storage building. ^_^

Best of luck to you!
goldenspines

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:13 pm

As for comic books, maybe you could just read them in the bookstore instead of buying them. S'what I do.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:18 pm

I second the shelves idea. My room is very small, so I have 13+ various shelving units, not counting chests of drawers, and a large-ish computer desk. A japanese style bed or futon may help. Subtly shoving boxes of your stuff under a sibling's bed works well too.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:46 pm

With the Legos I would put them in big plastics bags like gallon bags and keep each set together. Make sure to label the set and keep the manuals with the bags. Storage in the garage can be an idea or sell those you don't care for as much to people who would like them. Shelves are a way to go as mentioned.

I understand this issue, because I am losing space for my figures, legos and manga lately.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 am

Give your stuff away! If you only very occasionally use your lego's give them to a younger sibling or cousin or something. Keep only the few most nastolgic transformers toys and ect.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Gelka » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am

You could stuff it all in you closet or under your bed! ^-^ That's what I do.......

I also think shelves would be a good idea......
That Dude (post: 1385194) wrote:When God made Gelka, he decided to mix bubbles, rainbows, sharks, cupcakes, chocolate chips, puppies, kitties, and fun all into one bunch.

[color="Pink"]chatbot 01:50 - Wind asks, how does Gelka look Squished???
My answer: O.O[/color]
Gelka

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Yeah, going through your stuff every year and giving away/selling the ones you don't like a lot is one way to cut down on things.

Another way is to really think hard about the stuff you buy. Like, is it something you'll be able to find later on after the impulse wears off? How often will you use it? How nostalgic/special is it to you? Etc.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think shelves are a really good idea as well.

However, all the shelf space is already taken up by books. I'm at the stage where I've "hidden" the books that I don't read as often behind the ones that I may use more often, so that the shelves can hold more books.

As suggested, I've also only bought the Transformers toys that I really want to have (hence my collection is very small relative to other collectors).

I've also given away some of my LEGO and intend on selling a few other unopened sets.

I've come to terms with the fact that I will need to store most of my things in boxes, and won't be able to "play" with them. That's okay, I'll only display a few choice items and the rest can stay in the garage. I'm also going to pack away my game discs and some of my books into boxes as well - if we move someday this will make for an easier process.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, if nothing else, you've helped me to "psychologically" accept the fact that sacrifices must be made when space is limited. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:14 pm

hmm, I just got an odd picture of a cardboard box transformer... I guess it wouldn't be very cool, but it'd store away a lot easier! Well, just don't burn anything as a memorial. Cause whatever it was will be worth mega bucks in your future.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Return to General