Two Series Twins

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Two Series Twins

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Why is the same set of twins in both Lucky Star and Clannad? I think they have different names, but their personalities match. So does their hairstyles and haircolors. Could it be some cultural thing? Whatchya all think?:eyebrow:
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:28 am

It was intentional. The LS author was a fan of Clannad, or something to that effect. They even allude to it in LS, when Konata and Tsukasa are thinking of what nickname to give Kagami. "How about Kyou-chan, because it's another word for Kagami."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Ah, thanks! I knew there had to be a reason for it!
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 am

Ultimately, everything in Lucky Star is a reference to either Otaku or the things they obsess over. That's the nature of the show. For example, Miyuki is a mixture of as many different moe types as the author could manage to combine into one character, designed specifically as a foil for Konata.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 pm

I've mentioned this in another post, but each series pretty much came up with their respective characters independently. Both the Lucky Star manga and the Clannad visual novel were started/released within a few months of each other back in 2004, which makes it incredibly unlikely that there was any inspiration for either of the characters. Since then, Clannad was hailed as an amazing visual novel, while Lucky Star got huge with its anime adaptation in 2007.

What is likely to have happened is that Clannad got really huge, especially among otaku, and the mangaka for Lucky Star realized Tsukasa and Kagami were incredibly similar to Kyou and Ryou and that made for a few convenient jokes and references. It almost certainly wasn't planned, since Lucky Star got serialized in January 2004 while the Clannad PC game came out in April of the same year.

Of course, the similarities end with their personalities and appearances. Their development in their respective stories is really, really different, especially to those who are familiar with the Clannad visual novel (since Ryou's and Kyou's arc never got animated in full).
blkmage

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews