Is your past a school to learn from or a club to beat yourself up with?

Talk about anything in here.

Is your past a school to learn from or a club to beat yourself up with?

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey everyone,

I hope those of you that are on vacation are enjoying the break! I ran across a great quote the other day and I'm trying very hard to apply it to my own life.

Everyone has things in their past that they've done that they're not proud of. But you can chose to use your past either as a club to beat yourself up, or as a school to learn from.

I know for myself, I have a tendency to replay things I've done in my past that I'm not proud of over and over. They replay in my mind and it gets me depressed. Lately, though, I've taken to trying to stop the cycle of despair and really analyze these things. Of course I'll try not to do it again, but what can I learn from it?

It's been helpful for me, so I'm guessing it might be helpful for someone here. When you find yourself in one of these situations, try saying this out-loud to yourself.

Rising above your situation and your past is not about feeling better about yourself. It's about growing as a person.
Mithrandir

Postby goldenspines » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks Mith, this is good advice.
For me personally, I know I tend to dwell on my past failures way too much. And really, things work out much better when I can learn something from my mistakes rather than be discouraged by them. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1361789) wrote:Hey everyone,

I hope those of you that are on vacation are enjoying the break! I ran across a great quote the other day and I'm trying very hard to apply it to my own life.

Everyone has things in their past that they've done that they're not proud of. But you can chose to use your past either as a club to beat yourself up, or as a school to learn from.

I kind of use it as both. I know that sounds weird, but.. That's just what seems to happen every time I recall something >_> I should try to use it more as a school to learn from though ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby animeguild53 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:00 am

eh? i used to dwell in my past and it really got me imprisoned.. well, that was before i knew how great the LORD is.. now i'm thankful that HE allowed me to do all those things because they led me to where and who i am now..
[color="black"][SIZE="1"]
When I fall, [color="White"]HE[/color] lifts me up!
When I fail, [color="White"]HE[/color] forgives!
When I am [color="White"]weak[/color], HE is strong!
[color="White"]When I am lost, HE is the way![/color]
[color="White"]When I am afraid, HE is my cou[/color]rage!
When I [color="White"]stumble, HE[/color] steadies me!
When I am [color="White"]hurt[/color], HE heals me!
When I am[color="White"] broke[/color]n, HE mends me!
When I am [color="White"]blind[/color], HE leads me!
When I am [color="White"]hung[/color]ry, HE feeds me!
When I face [color="White"]trial[/color]s, HE is with me!
When I face [color="White"]pers[/color]ecution, HE shields me!
When I face [color="White"]prob[/color]lems, HE comforts me!
When I face [color="White"]loss[/color], ]HE provides for me!
When I face [color="White"]Deat[/color]h, HE carries me Home![/SIZE]

from http://emailministry.org/stories2.asp?id=1481[/color]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[color="Red"]... i'm a CHRISTian who happens to be a Student...[/color]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
animeguild53

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:56 am

Oh, definitely the later. I think my problem is that I know, in my head, that I am forgiven through Christ's sacrifice (I can even feel at peace in this, say, when I meditate on a crucifix); but somewhere deep in my psyche, I cannot accept that fact that the things I have done are just cancelled. It's pretty prideful, don'tcha think? Believing my sins are SO big and SO important. Ha...

So yeah, this is an everyday struggle. But, Mithrandir, I have not thought about this in the terms you presented. I am going to make an effort to do so, though.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

What if your past is a school in which everyone beats you up? Or if in the past someone beat you with a school building?
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1361898) wrote:What if your past is a school in which everyone beats you up? Or if in the past someone beat you with a school building?

Either way, you would (?) come out stronger ^___^

I guess the reason why I did use my past to beat myself over the head is so I don't return to doing the same thing ^^ Hmmm, I guess that would mean I used it as a school :-?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Along the same lines as UC said, what about past as a school with corporal punishment?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:39 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1361898) wrote:What if your past is a school in which everyone beats you up? Or if in the past someone beat you with a school building?

The easiest solution would be to hope you graduate soon and avoid those carrying school buildings. o.o

Whether you come out stronger because of it is up to you, I think. :)
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:28 pm

What if the club is the tool which is used to teach you? I mean isn't that what spankings were all about when we were kids? "I'm going to beat some sense into you!" So I think it's both, not either/or.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:15 pm

I misread it as a club that beats you up. Like the football club or something. So, is your past a school or a school club?

Anyway.

I replay things in my head all the time, and I really can't stop it. It's annoying and sometimes I can't sleep at night because of it =(
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ADXC » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Wow Mith, that's a great quote and I like your response as well.

I'm not entirely sure how to respond; however, I'll try to.

My past may not be as wild and crazy as others(I have not lived many years yet so I can't say the full extent of it at the moment.); however, I still think I've messed up at times. But even through these times that I have messed up, God has always put the pieces back together in a better way than I could have ever thought possible. Although I could say that the mistakes I've made or the things I didn't do well were not on God's plan, God closes my mouth because I have seen that these mistakes have a purpose in His will for my life. These mistakes sometime teach me, chasten me, or just make me put my faith back in God where it should really be.

I can't say the full extent what my past has on my future, but I can say that as long as I trust in God, He will always be there to catch me and carry me that extra mile.

I guess my answer to your question is a school to learn from.
ADXC

Postby That Dude » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 pm

I view the past as a school that I was a poor student at. I generally don't get caught up in the past, but I have trouble forging ahead towards the future.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 pm

[SIZE="1"]
Looking back at mistakes, especially recent ones, can drive you insane. I'm not so caught up in the "how could God ever forgive me?" aspect, more the "because I did this, or didn't do this, I have caused this or affected someone..." that to me is the most discouraging. >.<
[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:30 pm

minakichan (post: 1361938) wrote:I misread it as a club that beats you up. Like the football club or something. So, is your past a school or a school club?

haha that's what I thought too :P

I would also say both, however I'm a little more forgiving on myself in some areas, and in others I tend to beat myself up over it...

Social areas I tend to beat myself up more than areas where I just messed up. Haha...

I've kind of learned you can't change the past, so learn from it.
Hakuna Mattata! :D
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Excellent quote Mith. I seem to remember the lessons from my past the moment after I could have used them... It doesn't help that when I look back every good thing that happened or I did has a dark lining to it. But the important thing is to keep going forward, trying your best to learn from your past as a school, and trying your hardest not to use it as a club to beat yourself or others up with. :hits_self
Haha, thinking about it I kinda feel like Ichigo from bleach, with the hollow inside, always laughing at him and pointing out how utterly pathetic he is...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Return to General