Hellsing Ultimate

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Hellsing Ultimate

Postby Neo3DGfx » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 pm

I just watched the recently released Hellsing Ultimate OVA VII, and thought I'd check my favorite anime discussion site for what the populace thinks about it and maybe join the talk. Suffice it to say, I was shocked that there have been no Hellsing threads in the last year! Maybe I should have been back here sometime in the last three years! Image

So, what are your thoughts on Episode VII, any other episode, or the series as a whole?
Neo3DGfx==Me=="A Christian Gundam SEED (Destiny) fan who wants to make a Christian anime series.:thumb:"
~ Me, ca. 2005... Kept for posterity
Neo3DGfx

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:09 am

Because Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate contain almost unmeasurable amounts of gory violence, extensive bad language, and sexual content; both series are not really popular titles to talk about on CAA. That could explain the lack of CAA threads for either series.

Therefore, as a note to all those reading this thread, I would NOT recommend Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate to anyone under the age of 18 (or maybe even 21).

That said, since I have seen the series, I can contribute some to the discussion. The series as a whole is a good one. The characters especially are thoughtfully created and make the story much more interesting.
Concerning the most recent release of Hellsing Ultimate, I enjoyed the ends more than the mean of getting there. Though it was rather interesting to see Seras' back story. I think this episode is as close to a romantic side story as we're going to get, though. Oh well, I can always dream. XP

On a last note, please keep all discussion in here civil, despite what you think of the series.
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 pm

I've always enjoyed Hellsing for the raw style... and basically only that. With a given episode you know you're going to get some stylized weapons, over the top action, and perhaps Nazi vampires eating babies. Not much depth, but I've never really felt the series made any kind of claim to it. If someone knows violence isn't a stumbling block for them, the series is worth a glance. You'll know if it's for you fairly quickly.

And while we're here, is anyone following Drifters? It's the next series by the same manga-ka. I'm still on the fence about it, as Hellsing took longer than this to get anywhere interesting. It does have Joan of Arc wearing sixteen or so knives.
uc pseudonym

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 pm

I think that UC covered any comment I could have made about the series. I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood for this type of thing.

uc pseudonym (post: 1364274) wrote:And while we're here, is anyone following Drifters? It's the next series by the same manga-ka. I'm still on the fence about it, as Hellsing took longer than this to get anywhere interesting. It does have Joan of Arc wearing sixteen or so knives.

I wasn't, but it sounds like I should be.
Cognitive Gear

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1364274) wrote: Joan of Arc wearing sixteen or so knives.

:o ...Word.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I enjoy Hellsing, though I was somewhat sharply critical of it debuting over monthly installments, but now that everything's collected in volumes it's much more satisfying reading. My only real complaint is that I never felt they did enough with the whole secret war between Protestants and Catholics. It was there, and provided us with the always fantastic Alexander Anderson, but beyond that it pretty much eroded away for the sake of Nazi vampires led by a villainous Drew Carey.

As for Drifters, all I'd like to say is I think time travel desk clerk man is a pretty cool guy.
Fish and Chips

Postby Neo3DGfx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 pm

It appears that they'll be covering the Catholic vs Protestant in the next OVA. The preview is on Youtube, IIRC.

Thanks for the heads-up on Drifters. I'm going to have to check that out!
Neo3DGfx==Me=="A Christian Gundam SEED (Destiny) fan who wants to make a Christian anime series.:thumb:"
~ Me, ca. 2005... Kept for posterity
Neo3DGfx

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews