Spice and Wolf: animal deities and currency speculation

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby hey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:24 am

Elycien (post: 1352812) wrote:Incidentally, you totally did. I'm reading it right now and it's really awesome. [/off-topic]

Leviathan isn't really what I'd call a light novel, though... it's just illustrated. Text-wise it's longer and it's also released in hardcover. Light novel releases (in Japan, anyway) are generally just paperback. (Please, anyone who knows more than I do about this is free to correct me. XD)

Thanks for going off topic with me. I'm still looking for a good book to read, and I'll pick this up based on your recommendation. :)
hey

Postby Whitefang » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:36 am

He who controls the spice...
oh, woops. That's not a light novel.

I find this story interesting, but, for reasons that have already been pointed out, there is no way I would own anything with that cover on it. So the only way I'd read this is if I got the special edition cover (not likely) or learned Japanese and imported it (much less likely). So I may just have to find the anime adaptation somewhere.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby blkmage » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:37 am

Elycien (post: 1352812) wrote:I adore Spice and Wolf! I haven't seen the second season yet, but I've got the episodes ready to watch when I get time. ^___^ (which ... won't be for a while *facepalm* Oh, NaNo...) Can't wait for the first season to be released here, though, I'm totally buying it.

Anyone watching the second season? Is it as good as the first?

I was watching the second season when it was airing and I found it better than the first season. The story and character development progresses and is a lot better since Horo and Lawrence have gotten used to each other. The second season covers volume 3 and some other volume that isn't volume 4, presumably to keep the focus on the relationship that develops between Horo and Lawrence.

The production is a lot better too, since Brains Base, which is a fairly good studio (if you ignore Akikan, I guess), took over from Imagin, who hasn't really done much before in the way of producing a series on their own.
blkmage

Postby hey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:23 pm

According to this link:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-20/spice-and-wolf-novel-original-cover-offered-to-online-retailers

(I haven't read any comments or anything but the article, so click this link at your own risk.)

You can get the alternate cover from select sellers. I'm having a terrible time finding a place that is selling it with the alternate cover. Any thoughts as to where I can look?
hey

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:29 pm

From their post,
Update: Right Stuf has confirmed that they will be participating in this offer. We will update this entry to list additional participating retailers as we receive that information.

That seems to be the only place listed though.

Also, the Spice and Wolf season 1 DVD is available in North America now.
blkmage

Postby hey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:05 pm

blkmage (post: 1363641) wrote:From their post,

That seems to be the only place listed though.

Also, the Spice and Wolf season 1 DVD is available in North America now.

I was very excited when I heard it was going to be released in time for Christmas, but releasing it on the 22nd was silly. :( Not enough time to order it as a gift.

Thanks for the link and info!
hey

Postby LiquidOcelot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I love both seasons of Spice and Wolf a lot! Not to mention the specials and the fun OVA episode 0. Horo is great and cute! ;)
LiquidOcelot

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:33 pm

GearsofBelcrant (post: 1402420) wrote:New member here. I had turned off this series twice because of the tones toward the Lord, but thanks to this forum, I'm giving it another chance now that I have a better understanding of what it is about.
However, I do not think I would have the heart to show this to my parents. The same reason as I mentioned before and I don't believe they are likely to accept a dark spot in history...

Heh, not many people like to think about it. But that's how we learn and grow as people- by looking back and taking lessons from history.

Glad you're taking another look at it- it's not so much that the show criticizes God so much as it criticizes the Church, and sometimes it can be hard to separate the two. And even then, that's very secondary (or tertiary) to the story that's happening. I'm happy to say I'll be ordering the first season this year! Holo and Lawrence are so cute together! *fangirl squee*
Atria35

Postby hey » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:56 pm

I've watched the first season awhile back, and I just finished the light novel. I've noticed the tone in the light novel has some differences from anime. For example, in the light novel, Holo seems agnostic even in regards to herself. I found that interesting. I do get the impression the author is not a fan of religion in general. I could be reading it wrong, but that's my take. Other than that I really enjoy the story, and I really enjoy the dynamics between Holo and Lawrence.
hey

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:04 pm

hey (post: 1402445) wrote:I've watched the first season awhile back, and I just finished the light novel. I've noticed the tone in the light novel has some differences from anime. For example, in the light novel, Holo seems agnostic even in regards to herself. I found that interesting. I do get the impression the author is not a fan of religion in general.\

Well, you're onto it- most Japanese just pay lip service to religion. The saying goes 'you're Shinto at birth, Christian whan you're married, and Buddhist when you die' (Christian bcs Western weddings are hugely popular due to how inexpensive they are compared to Shinto weddings!)

But yes, it is a great series! :thumb:
Atria35

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:46 am

I loved both seasons of this, I haven't seen the OVA yet though, so I need to go find that.

I considered buying the light novel at Books-a-Million one night for a trip I was going on, but the cover is what turned me off to it. As someone else mentioned, the cover doesn't really look like something you'd carry around and read in public. And I was pretty sure my mom'd have a problem with it and I wouldn't even be able to get it in the first place, no matter my opinion.

If I can pick it up with the alt cover, I'm definitely interested in reading them. I've loved this series, and I'm pretty sure I learned more about economics from this (and Kingdom of Loathing, but that's waaaay out of range of this topic, being a webgame) than I ever did from my economics class.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby hey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:59 am

I went out of my way to get the alternate dust jacket for the light novel. It was an OK substitute, but I took it off while I was reading so as not to damage it. All in all they should have left the art alone.

If you enjoy the economics then I suggest reading the light novel when you have a chance. During the first season of the anime, has the second one been dubbed yet, I felt they went over the economics a little too quickly. The book does a better job of drilling down on the economics, not by a lot but enough, and that really helps flesh out the characters motivations more as well.
hey

Postby Arya Raiin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm getting Spice & Wolf for my birthday. (Well... I hope so but no guarantee, I don't get my presents until tomorrow.) I can't wait to watch it!
Arya Raiin

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews